PDA

View Full Version : Droid Razr or Galaxy S3?

Ender
09-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Droid Razr VS Galaxy S3?
What are the ups and downs to each?
Whats better/worse about each?

Trying to decide which one to go with.. I know this is a droid forum, but id like to hear some good factual info comparing the two.. Thanks.

-----------------
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

jwalz
09-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Moved to off topic... I have the sg3 . Size of screen and clarity are great . Being that it's Samsung radio is not as good as the moto. Taking it that your coming from a dx I imagine your Verizon which both have locked downloader the sg3 has a work around for it the razr I'm not sure ...

tap'd from my rooted device

maybish
09-03-2012, 05:09 AM
I have an s3 and so far this phone has been amazing!! The screen is beautiful and its super fast. Now that there's more people getting the s3 at work I've been able to play around with the sbeam and the wifi direct. Both work pretty nicely.

I think they overall are great. Your best bet is to go to a Verizon store and play with the phones and see which one you like better.

***May's Galaxy***

stryker
09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I have a razr maxx and it's AWESOME! YEAH the s3 has better specs and has an unlockable boot loader. But now the razr is able too flash custom kernels too, thanks to kexec and some awesome devs. So pretty much kexec bypasses there locked boot loader allowing a custom kernel. Plus my maxx battery lasts for 2 days without turning wifi or 4g off with about 6 hours of screen on time. It's up to you though. Personal if it was me i would get what ever is the newest phone is with the best specs. I went razr maxx over nexus at the time cause battery life is more important to me, then endless roms that are all the same. I have my aokp and cm9, that's all i need. But right now i would wait and get the razr hd. I wish i could have all of the phones!!! The new iPhone will be beast too. Sorry had to say it. I build themes for ios and android so i like both. But choose wisely.

-=[.stryker.originals.]=-

cybermachiavelli
09-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I faced the same question 5 months ago and I chose the Razr Maxx. Partly because it was a Motorola, but mostly because the thing is just beautiful, powerful and as mentioned, has the largest cellphone battery on the planet. Its got serious processiong power and has a GIANT capacity battery to back it up. That sold me. Even when the Samsung Galaxy had Ice Cream Sandwich and the Razr Maxx had Gingerbread. Theres a reason its still one of the top selling smartphones and in this "new every other month world" of tech and cellphones, that should tell you all you need to know.

cybermachiavelli
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Ya didn't have to say it here! :) I love it when I came in the first day of fall classes and ask my intro to psych students "Who has a IPhone" and "Who has an Android Phone". Big majority three semesters running. Harware wise, OS wise, Apples offering is very nice. Its all thet proprietary crap they shove down your throat like all their cable interfaces and then charge you 150% of what a similar manufacturer would charge. And in the case of the PCs, ITS THE EXACT SAME HARDWARE.

Goose306
09-03-2012, 05:38 PM
IMO, S3 offered best cross-section to me -

I do a bit of small development on the side and I prefer to have an unlockable device. Was fairly upset regarding Verizon's locked bootloader, but now that we have insecure aboot, that is no longer a concern. And its not kexec like the RAZR Maxx. We actually had kexec for the first month or so of this phone's existence, and its far different, and we even had far more complete than RAZR's kexec (it only rebooted 3 times whenever it restarted, everything else was pretty much 100% complete). From a development standpoint, the Nexus is always the best. But having a fully unlockable device (even if it doesn't have fastboot) is a good enough compromise for me.

You can tell the difference just in the complete-ness. While many RAZR owners are happy with CM9 and AOKP, I've been running JB since nearly when this phone was released. And JB actually runs BETTER on this device than AOSP ICS did. The advantages of a true custom kernel are obvious in this regard. Kexec can do a lot in this regard, but it still scares away development. Since the S3 got insecure aboot, watching the G-Nex threads has actually been pretty interesting. Tons of people changing to the S3 now that its unlockable.

I personally love Moto hardware, but here's what broke it for me:

Development = S3 = unlockable. No kexec, none of that jazz. True, replacement recovery, and bootloader. Also, going to likely be one of the biggest smartphones of all time. That attracts development like nothing. And ROMs designed for AT&T, Sprint, T-Mo, etc. are easily portable to Verizon variant, which encourages even more development (not just stuck with developers on one carrier).

Screen = Super Amoled Plus versus non-HD RAZR screen. You can argue the virtues of pentile, but if you hold the two screens up to each other, there is really no comparison.

Performance = The Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5 Ghz is the best LTE chipset currently available in production handsets. That's about all there is to it. There will be a quad-core version forthcoming, and the new Exynos in the Note 2 will support LTE (quad) but in current production-model handsets that are available immediately, this IS the best processor. The 2 GB of RAM (which no other phones, included others that have the S4 like the One X) is just icing on the cake. This phone will be relevant for a very long time with that much power.

Hardware design = by this I don't mean the plasticky feel. I dislike that, but the phone is extremely slim and light because of it, which is very nice, and a TPU case takes care of that. No, I mean removable BATTERY and SDCARD. Major bonuses. Wayy too many manufacturers going to non-removable SD or non-removable battery. After swapping batteries in my DX as the battery DIED (skips/etc) I just know that getting a phone with an integrated battery is locking yourself into a renewal cycle unless you feel comfortable actually disassembling such a device.

Battery = its no RAZR Maxx, but its bigger than most smartphones currently. It can easily get past a day on LTE with no data management, and that's completely acceptable to me. I don't need more than that, its usually on a charger when I'm at home anyways.

So to me it just offers the perfect cross-section. Data/radio isn't as good as a Moto phone, as described, and the battery isn't as large as a RAZR Maxx, but also remember compared to the hardware cycle the RAZR Maxx is not an outdated device. (Relatively, of course).

To be honest, the RAZR HD and the Note 2 are the two most intriguing devices forthcoming, IMO. I have also heard rumors on an HTC One XL-ish on Verizon's network which would just be beastly (Note 2 will have Exynos quad with LTE chipset and latest Adreno GPU, One XL with have a Snapdragon Pro Quad!! LTE compatibility, 3,000+ mAh battery!, RAZR HD - possibly unlockable bootloader, HD screen, infamous Moto build quality/radios) But that's the technology cycle. Wait two months and cutting edge is falling behind. I just feel like quads at this point are entirely unnecessary. Meanwhile, the Snapdragon is an extremely versatile chip, while the 2 GB of RAM and HD screen will keep it relevant going forward. I have heard many people be of the opinion that the S3 is what the Nexus should have been, and I agree, but again... hardware cycle. Its highly unlikely a design like the GSIII would have been even possible when the Nexus was first being manufactured.

EDIT:
LOL sorry about the book. Hope the info is found to be relevant to anyone looking though.

BHuber09
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM

I do a bit of small development on the side and I prefer to have an unlockable device. Was fairly upset regarding Verizon's locked bootloader, but now that we have insecure aboot, that is no longer a concern. And its not kexec like the RAZR Maxx. We actually had kexec for the first month or so of this phone's existence, and its far different, and we even had far more complete than RAZR's kexec (it only rebooted 3 times whenever it restarted, everything else was pretty much 100% complete). From a development standpoint, the Nexus is always the best. But having a fully unlockable device (even if it doesn't have fastboot) is a good enough compromise for me.

You can tell the difference just in the complete-ness. While many RAZR owners are happy with CM9 and AOKP, I've been running JB since nearly when this phone was released. And JB actually runs BETTER on this device than AOSP ICS did. The advantages of a true custom kernel are obvious in this regard. Kexec can do a lot in this regard, but it still scares away development. Since the S3 got insecure aboot, watching the G-Nex threads has actually been pretty interesting. Tons of people changing to the S3 now that its unlockable.

Development = S3 = unlockable. No kexec, none of that jazz. True, replacement recovery, and bootloader. Also, going to likely be one of the biggest smartphones of all time. That attracts development like nothing. And ROMs designed for AT&T, Sprint, T-Mo, etc. are easily portable to Verizon variant, which encourages even more development (not just stuck with developers on one carrier).

Screen = Super Amoled Plus versus non-HD RAZR screen. You can argue the virtues of pentile, but if you hold the two screens up to each other, there is really no comparison.

Performance = The Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5 Ghz is the best LTE chipset currently available in production handsets. That's about all there is to it. There will be a quad-core version forthcoming, and the new Exynos in the Note 2 will support LTE (quad) but in current production-model handsets that are available immediately, this IS the best processor. The 2 GB of RAM (which no other phones, included others that have the S4 like the One X) is just icing on the cake. This phone will be relevant for a very long time with that much power.

Hardware design = by this I don't mean the plasticky feel. I dislike that, but the phone is extremely slim and light because of it, which is very nice, and a TPU case takes care of that. No, I mean removable BATTERY and SDCARD. Major bonuses. Wayy too many manufacturers going to non-removable SD or non-removable battery. After swapping batteries in my DX as the battery DIED (skips/etc) I just know that getting a phone with an integrated battery is locking yourself into a renewal cycle unless you feel comfortable actually disassembling such a device.

Battery = its no RAZR Maxx, but its bigger than most smartphones currently. It can easily get past a day on LTE with no data management, and that's completely acceptable to me. I don't need more than that, its usually on a charger when I'm at home anyways.

So to me it just offers the perfect cross-section. Data/radio isn't as good as a Moto phone, as described, and the battery isn't as large as a RAZR Maxx, but also remember compared to the hardware cycle the RAZR Maxx is not an outdated device. (Relatively, of course).

To be honest, the RAZR HD and the Note 2 are the two most intriguing devices forthcoming, IMO. I have also heard rumors on an HTC One XL-ish on Verizon's network which would just be beastly (Note 2 will have Exynos quad with LTE chipset and latest Adreno GPU, One XL with have a Snapdragon Pro Quad!! LTE compatibility, 3,000+ mAh battery!, RAZR HD - possibly unlockable bootloader, HD screen, infamous Moto build quality/radios) But that's the technology cycle. Wait two months and cutting edge is falling behind. I just feel like quads at this point are entirely unnecessary. Meanwhile, the Snapdragon is an extremely versatile chip, while the 2 GB of RAM and HD screen will keep it relevant going forward. I have heard many people be of the opinion that the S3 is what the Nexus should have been, and I agree, but again... hardware cycle. Its highly unlikely a design like the GSIII would have been even possible when the Nexus was first being manufactured.

EDIT:
LOL sorry about the book. Hope the info is found to be relevant to anyone looking though.

^^^^^ That's a ton of good info!!!

But I would just like to add this. The s3 has the same specs as a laptop that would have come out about 5 years ago. 2GB of ram. Althought the processing speeds aren't as, high come on.. its a cell phone.

In my opinion the only reason you should get the razr would be because you like how it looks without a case, or you just like smaller phone screens.

In every other aspect you can amp up the s3 to be better than it.

Again this is my opinion.

But goose just blew everything ive ever read about the two out of the water and gave a TON of GREAT info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bkdodger
09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Goose hit it spot on... Great read all the way around...IMO right now S3 hands down... My cure to the battery lasting is one swap away if needed.. I like removable battery.... Good luck either way..

Sent from my flashaholic G-Nex...

Ender
09-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Amazing info Goose, thank you!
So im pretty set on the S3 now (if I decide to upgrade yet) but I think im more interested in what's coming up.. A few questions..

When are the Razr HD, and Note2, each being released?

What other top of the line type of phones are upcoming?

-----------------

stryker
09-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Go iPhone 5. I'm just sad i had to upgrade to keep unlimited data and the s3 came or a week after i ordered the razr. But oh well. I will have this phone till it quits working. There it's no way i would pay full retail for a phone. That's like gas and food for 2 months!!!! But hey get what ever phone you want. Ignore all this. If you want it get it. It will be out dated as soon as u get it anyways. No matter what you get.

DroidlynnXDoes
09-04-2012, 11:28 PM

EDIT:

It's ok Goose. I'm amazed as to how much you know about DROID OS. I hope to learn as much as you someday. Alot of my friends and family went from the X to the Galaxy S III and love it

DroidlynnXDoes
09-04-2012, 11:28 PM
the Galaxy S III takes amazing photos btw

stryker
09-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Go s3. Razr development has pretty much stopped again. And I don't think its gong to start up again. Now I'm thinking about switching phones from a Max to a s3 lol! Personally I think each carrier should release 1 phone a year like they used to back in the day and how apple does it. There are just way to many phones being released. Its like u buy a phone and its not even being supported anymore like 5 months later. Sad. Greed is the devil. So is money haha.

Ender
09-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Again let me ask..

When are the RazrHD and Note2 supposed to be released? AND, what other top line phones are coming soon?

-----------------

popcenator
09-06-2012, 07:31 AM
No release date on either yet...before the end of the year.

on the move..