PDA

View Full Version : problem with the screen

bigbbubba
09-02-2012, 04:19 PM
ok, so i don't know exactly what's wrong with my screen, i know i can barely touch it and it comes up and has a puddle looking effect like when you press too hard on something you know what i'm saying? is there anywhere i can take it to get it fixed or somewhere i can send it off to that has a policy where they don't creep thru your phone or anything? i'm pretty sure all i gotta do is replace the screen or whatever and it'll be fine, i just know i can't do it myself haha

BHuber09
09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
You can go to Verizon buy the insurance and then you can send it in. But you'll have to pay the deductible

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05
09-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Another option would be to just buy the parts you need and do it yourself. There are a lot of useful guides online. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, then there is no reason Verizon should snoop through your phone to replace your screen... then again, it is Verizon we are talking about.

If you are rooted and or Rom'd you could make a backup of your current settings then sbf back to stock, send the phone for repair then restore the backup. That seems a little out of the way though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

bigbbubba
09-02-2012, 04:41 PM
here's a question, if i chose to do it myself, is it the lcd screen or the touch screen digitizer? also verizon told me on the phone i couldn't straight up buy insurance now, it has to be when you first get the phone. which i had insurance on my first droid x, had to get it replaced and they never told me the insurance didn't transfer over. also, how much is insurance and how much would the deductible be?

BHuber09
09-02-2012, 04:58 PM
here's a question, if i chose to do it myself, is it the lcd screen or the touch screen digitizer? also verizon told me on the phone i couldn't straight up buy insurance now, it has to be when you first get the phone. which i had insurance on my first droid x, had to get it replaced and they never told me the insurance didn't transfer over. also, how much is insurance and how much would the deductible be?

If it were me buying the parts I would go ahead and get the digitizer too.

But insurance is only like $10 a month (but you can cancel after you send it in) and the deductible would be about $100+

But the cheapest way by far is the do it yourself. Its not that hard. And as cliff said, there's tons of guides on how to do it.

GoCliffGo05
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Can you still click on apps and things with no problems? Are you getting any "ghost touches" or anything like that? If you can still touch things normally and are not getting random actions then it sounds to me like it is just the LCD screen, but I could be mistaken.

What is you current phone setup right now? System version, root, rom? And how old is it? (I'm just asking because I wan't to be 100% sure its not a software issue, although it sounds like a screen issue.)

Edit: Ninja'd by BH lol. It makes sense to go ahead and replace both since it could be a problem with either of them.

bigbbubba
09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I haven't done anything fancy to it, i'm a noob at this stuff. So, stock rom no root or anything, its version is 2.3.4 and no ghost touches that i can think of. i haven't used it in the past few months, bout a droid 2 to hold me over till i got the x fixed or upgraded. I am currently elligible for upgrade but i'm torn really. i've never been a huge fan of apple products, but iphone 5 could be good, i've also thought of the windows 8 phone when it comes out, but mostly, ive really been debating on the samsung galaxy s3. that phone seems to be a beast from what i can tell. anyone want to help me decide? lol

BHuber09
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Can you still click on apps and things with no problems? Are you getting any "ghost touches" or anything like that? If you can still touch things normally and are not getting random actions then it sounds to me like it is just the LCD screen, but I could be mistaken.

What is you current phone setup right now? System version, root, rom? And how old is it? (I'm just asking because I wan't to be 100% sure its not a software issue, although it sounds like a screen issue.)

Edit: Ninja'd by BH lol. It makes sense to go ahead and replace both since it could be a problem with either of them.

You do bring up good point though i didnt think about software haha

Best bet it to make sure its not software haha

GoCliffGo05
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok sounds like it's probably your screen. You could go through the sbf process to make sure but you would lose everything saved on your phone unless you rooted and back up first. May not be worth it to you.

And if you are going to upgrade, S3 all day long.

Edit: Ninja'd twice. Lmao B stop it.

Goose306
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I haven't done anything fancy to it, i'm a noob at this stuff. So, stock rom no root or anything, its version is 2.3.4 and no ghost touches that i can think of. i haven't used it in the past few months, bout a droid 2 to hold me over till i got the x fixed or upgraded. I am currently elligible for upgrade but i'm torn really. i've never been a huge fan of apple products, but iphone 5 could be good, i've also thought of the windows 8 phone when it comes out, but mostly, ive really been debating on the samsung galaxy s3. that phone seems to be a beast from what i can tell. anyone want to help me decide? lol

Yeah SIII is a no-brainer from those picks.

SIII will/is already more powerful than anything I've seen about the iPhone 5. Plus ICS/JB ecosystem strips and runs way ahead of iOS. SIII should have JB soon officially too (after carrier approval of course) I've been running JB now for nearly a month though with nary a problem unofficially.

Really if you've been running a DX/D2 and you go up to an SIII you won't know what you've been missing lol. That's what I did. Heck my SIII feels better running than my Nexus 7, and that has a quad-core Tegra 3 in it. The Snapdragon S4 is really a beastly dual-core, the best currently available especially with LTE integration. And quad-core at this point is not really needed at all, as the app ecosystem isn't built for it currently except for a handful of games found in the Tegra Zone/etc.

Windows Phone 8 I really wouldn't even consider. That is a nearly-dead ecosystem. They may still pull out a surprise somewhere with Windows Phone 8, but the app marketplace is a massive drop (less than 1/5 what Android and iOS markets currently have). And hardware that again, is weaker than the SIII.

Technology will always improve so the SIII won't remain top-dog for long, that is sure. But compared to anything else that is out there right now the SIII is the *it* device to have. iPhone 5 won't change that. Android as a whole has blown past iOS since ICS forward, its really not a competition anymore. The iPhone 5 "killer features" include LTE compatibility and NFC (both uncomfirmed but supposed) NFC has been around Android since early Gingerbread, same with LTE (in fact didn't Froyo have LTE compatibility?)

Basically iPhone has lost it now. We lose track of that here in the US where iPhone has remained semi-popular. But the global market share parries something like 16% iPhone, 67% Android - ~rest (BBerry, WinPhone, etc) and its not just the cheaper cost that Android has on some lower end handsets, but the hardware and high-end models now far outstrip them.

bigbbubba
09-02-2012, 05:41 PM
well thank you guys for the help. i think i will just upgrade to the sIII. you all have helped so much. thanks again!

BHuber09
09-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Ok sounds like it's probably your screen. You could go through the sbf process to make sure but you would lose everything saved on your phone unless you rooted and back up first. May not be worth it to you.

And if you are going to upgrade, S3 all day long.

Edit: Ninja'd twice. Lmao B stop it.

Haha lucky is all.

But I agree with both cliff and goose.

If you're going to upgrade go s3. That phone is a beast of a phone and even if the "next big thing" comes out. The s3 will very likely be equal to it. And the its 10x more advance/powerful than the iPhone 5's rumored specs

You for sure won't be unhappy with it.

GoCliffGo05
09-02-2012, 05:45 PM
That's what we're here for. :) Let us know how it goes, and what you decide.

Edit: :banghead:

BHuber09
09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Hahahahah there is no way... I got you three times..

bigbbubba
09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I've made up my mind. quick i know but with the great things i've heard, i'm going to upgrade to the s3 in october. My birthday is at the first of october and that will help me get the money for it. thanks yet again for all the help. you guys are great!