PDA

View Full Version : How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

ohmster
08-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Guys,

I am sorry because I now have a new Android 4 device and it is not a Droid, it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113. But people here are smart and helpful as hell. Goose306 and 1KDS have helped so much that I could never repay them in full. I tried posting here on galaxytabforums.net (http://www.galaxytabforums.net/forum/galaxy-tab-10-1-development/5442-rooted-gt-p5113-update-downloaded-not-installed-how-remove.html#post20652), I got plenty of views, but not a single reply to what would here be a simple issue. People here make the galaxytabforums.net folks look like hayseed dummies. :confused:

Oh, here is my Device Info screenshot if it helps. (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etheohmster/image/galaxy_tab2_10.1.png) Hey, if somebody knows what the new update is, will it ruin root, and is there a way to retain or reinstall root, please help.

Can someone with a brain either answer this for me or please, please refer me to a Galaxy Tab 2 forum that has intelligent, helpful, and friendly people. Thank you all for providing SO much help over the years. I really miss this place, but I now have a Droid Razr Maxx and this is a Droid X forum. So sad.

I know this post is technically off topic for this forum, but I don't know where else to go.

G'night guys.

BHuber09
08-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Well I do not have aGTab just so you know but this is my guess

1. I'm sure you'll be able to regain root since it is samsung

2. On the DX you can clear the cache and the OTA will be deleted, then you just freeze updater and you'll be good. Granted this is a moto phone so it could be different

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

maybish
08-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Could it be the jelly bean update? Does it say anywhere in the gtab forums about losing root if you take the update?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ohmster
08-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, thanks for answering. 1KDS did tell me to wipe the cache. I did it like he said with CWM, reboot and wipe cache. There was an update.zip file in /cache/Froto or some kind of short word starting with F and there it was. I renamed it with a .bak and that did not help get the reminders away. Then I wiped the cache per 1KDS and the cache was now empty but for a log and lost+found, still getting update now or postpone messsages for downloaded update.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - Galaxy Tab2 Forum (http://www.galaxytabforums.net) sucks, they people do not discuss in depth stuff like we do here, nor do they answer what I would have thought to be a simple question. I will have to look around for a better tab forum. Not only do I want the nag message to go away, I want to know what this update is, maybe it is jellybean and is good, but then again, what about keeping root?

You guys did all you could, thank you. I will find a better forum and report here when I get it figured out, just to say thanks. At least this forum sends mail when someone replies, I get nothing from galaxytab, maybe because no one replies. Time for a new forum.

Take care guys.

ohmster
08-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Could it be the jelly bean update? Does it say anywhere in the gtab forums about losing root if you take the update?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maybish, hah, you real photo looks just like your moderator image and you are from New Jersey too! I graduated Hackensack High School in '77. It is so nice here in droidx, I have real friends here and can tell. Not like the tab forum at all. I will post my real picture to be fair.

I don't know if this is the Jellybean update or not, they seem pretty stupid at the forum I picked, I will find a better one. Thanks Maybish, you are one of the good guys. Most people on here are.

ohmster
08-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Just to stop people from wasting valuable time, I got my answer on another forum and have the issue fixed. It is not really a Droid issue but it is for Android 4 in general. A guy on androidforums.com found a temporary fix and once I had that, I finished it.

Original Post (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/604762-stop-ota-updates.html#post4844618)

I did stop the updates, my tab is rooted, with Titanium Backup. I froze the "Software update v3_1205_3_2(2)" in Titanium Backup. Previously I froze "Software update 1.0" but this did not stop the nag screen. Since one fellow had luck stopping the updates in the Applications Manager, I think that freezing it will stop it for good, until I can find out what this update is, will it stop root, and how to re-root once done. I did this in Titanium Backup and it worked.

Screenshot (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etheohmster/image/Screenshot_2012-08-25-19-36-36.jpg)

Thanks everybody for pitching in!

maybish
08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Maybish, hah, you real photo looks just like your moderator image and you are from New Jersey too! I graduated Hackensack High School in '77. It is so nice here in droidx, I have real friends here and can tell. Not like the tab forum at all. I will post my real picture to be fair.

I don't know if this is the Jellybean update or not, they seem pretty stupid at the forum I picked, I will find a better one. Thanks Maybish, you are one of the good guys. Most people on here are.

Thank you!

So no one has been able to tell you what the update is? Maybe its just a hardware fix. But I'm gkad yyou figured it out. Titanium backup has saved lots of people here from getting updates. I have a xoom and have been updated to jellybean for at least a month now. Which is why I was thinking you were getting Jb. Anyway hope you can figure it out!

****Mays galaxy 3****

N3xuz11
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
4.0.4 is ICS (Ice cream sandwich)

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
moved to off topic

ohmster
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you!

So no one has been able to tell you what the update is? Maybe its just a hardware fix. But I'm gkad yyou figured it out. Titanium backup has saved lots of people here from getting updates. I have a xoom and have been updated to jellybean for at least a month now. Which is why I was thinking you were getting Jb. Anyway hope you can figure it out!

****Mays galaxy 3****

Maybish, so nice to hear from you again. No, not sure what the update is. I think it came down pretty quick and am not sure how to tell without doing it. But then I would lose root, sure as it rains in the jungle, and I know nothing at all about rooting a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, GT-P5113 on Jellybean. I am not going to take OTA updates anymore, that is why I shut them off. Although I know very little about tablet PCs, I do really enjoy this one, got it sort of as a present. I am an electronic tech and now do my own PC/networking/webmaster work on the side, I incorporated to make it legal. One of my best customers takes $100 2 hour lessons often, besides having me do all of her tech and computer work for her. She wanted a tablet to take with her to visit her sick mom in Vancouver, but we have already been through "The Apple Thing" where she has a PC and then goes and buys an iPhone, not even the one with Siri (Voice command female assistant) on it. Making that thing work with a PC sucks, you are stuck with iTunes and all the DRM and restrictions that go with it. Nothing at all cool about hacking it or doing what you want like Android and PC, so she got the tablet I have. She paid me to teach her how to use it, I liked it, she paid me $600 to board her dog while she travels, so I bought the tablet, seeing as how this was about the only way I would be able to get one. So now I am a tablet geek too!

(Oh my, we are in a tropical storm here in South Florida, power just blinked out. Thank God for UPS battery packs! The PC and this post survived. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I tend to be a bit "chatty".)

I cannot get enough of this tablet, it is cool as all get out! Rooting was a priority, then I discovered the free app, Wireless Tether for Root Users (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/) and I am now in Hog Heaven! This thing does *exactly* what it says it does, and I have unlimited 4G data on Verizon, thanks to being signed up before they stopped offering it. Tap your phone screen and then *poof*! Your tablet is now online, anytime, anyplace, and at broadband speed. I can easily watch HD TV and Movies on Netflix with this wireless tether and do not have to pay the $20 a month, use it or not, on my phone bill every month.

Strange that I am talking about tablets on dxforums, I hope no moderator kicks me out for it, but I have *real friends* here, good ones, developers that really have gone out of their way to help and make me feel welcome. This is hard to give up and I do still have a Droid phone. You are a good friend too.

I learned a LOT about rooting and ROMs right here, from 1KDS and Goose306. If you are bored and want to read the story, I shared it with someone who helped me and needs general root and ROM advice on another forum. Read it here if you want (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/604762-stop-ota-updates.html#post4870157). If you read that, you will understand why I will not take OTA updates and will take Jellybean when another GT-P5113 user takes and roots it first. Then I can download the zip file manually and update my tablet. If I am lucky, there will be an already rooted ROM available or at least a root procedure and files available before I make the leap.

Hey Maybish, going from Froyo to Gingerbread was less than spectacular for me as I had not idea of what the various versions were. But updating to ICS was a HUGE big deal. At first, I was not sure I liked it, some of the stuff was gone but I quickly learned how to use it and how much better it was. For instance, you can now stack desktop shortcuts to make "drawers" that take up a single icon space, yet can contain all of the admin tools I need, the wireless tools I need, the games, well, I need two drawers for those, but you get the idea.

Is Jellybean like *way* much different than Ice Cream Sandwich? Is it *way* much better like the way ICS 4 is way better than Gingerbread 3 was? When people like you tell me and give me links to see such things as screenshots, features, rooting instructions, and files, this is how I learn and then I do the same for other newbies and that is how we all learn. Besides, geeks like us thrive on learning new stuff about our devices. It sort of "gets you high" on something that hardly anybody else can appreciate. Being a geek does have it's advantages.

Alright, I probably have talked your ear off by now, and besides, I will admit it, yes I think that you are a really cool chick. Goodnight. And if you have the time, tell me about Jellybean please. Links will work, you do not have to type your fingers off. Thanks!

OMG, we have a tablet forum here! Step aside Ma'am, I have some registering to do! :banana:

ohmster
08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
moved to off topic

Heh, I *knew* that was coming. Thanks for not kicking me out. :banana:

ohmster
08-27-2012, 12:25 AM
4.0.4 is ICS (Ice cream sandwich)

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Roger that, I am running the same OS myself. Does anyone have any real dope on Jellybean that they can give me? Droid or Galaxy Tab info, screenshots, root info, ROMS & downloads, and general opinions, is it cool or what? Thanks.

maybish
08-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Hey....I have Jb on my xoom tab. Other than the font and a few little extras I don't see much of a difference from Ics. Its a bit snappier too. But I haven't had much of a chance to really play with it. Now my new s3 is supposed to be updating to Jb sometime in the next couple weeks. I should be able to give you a better rundown then!

And thank you!

*** Mays galaxy ****

ohmster
08-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Hey....I have Jb on my xoom tab. Other than the font and a few little extras I don't see much of a difference from Ics. Its a bit snappier too. But I haven't had much of a chance to really play with it. Now my new s3 is supposed to be updating to Jb sometime in the next couple weeks. I should be able to give you a better rundown then!

And thank you!

*** Mays galaxy ****

Wow, what a cool tablet you got! It is just like mine, great processor, and it is cheap too! I just checked and on Google is is going for $223 Online. Dam, I just paid like $400 for this thing too. I really need to start listening to girls a lot more...

LOL! Just kidding, I do pay rapt attention to girls that I like or who have something relevant to say, yah, you are one of them, ...suddenly. But, I didn't know you before getting the tablet and would not have met you if it were not for the tablet, so, it is what it is.

Man I would like "kill" to add you to my friend list, but I am kind of funny about stuff like that. I feel that I really should "earn a friendship" and not just "Ask for it". I have seen too much of it on myspace, all of these idiots with hundreds or thousands of friends that they do not even know who these people are. I got 1KDS and Goose306 as friends, but they are developers who worked really hard to drag this newbie up to standards and get with the program. If not for them, I wouldn't know hardly anything about this stuff. But they could tell I was no amateur and they gave me a shot, and their friendship. Besides, chicks on web boards get hit on all the time. I am not going to be just another guy hoping for hot photos and a "video date". Either we are real friends or we are not. I hope to earn your friendship one day Maybish.

Well, JB should be snappier, that is one of the very points of a major software version update. As long as the hardware is not out of date. Like I said, I did not see any real difference between Android 2 and 3, and even v4 did not "blow me away" at first. I had to play with it a while and discover all the neat little toys and shortcuts, and improvements that are now built into it. I tell you what, Google voice is like 1,000 times better than the stock voice to text engine from versions past. But you have to be online to use it. Wish I could download it and use it offline, then just let it "update" like the virus programs do when online again. The built in voice to text engine was so bad that I spent as much or more time correcting it than if I had just pecked it out by hand.

Hey, do you root your stuff, Maybish? I mean like, you are a super mod so I just took it for granted that you root everything, but who really knows? Root is really cool to have. Once you get it on your device, you do not want to give it up so that is why I never take OTA anymore. Besides, my mentors on here told me exactly that, and I take their advice very seriously, made mistakes, and learned the hard way about this. Root if for keeps, I am not giving it up.

Because I do anything computer for a buck, I got several students that I teach. The older guys seem to want "a user's manual for Android" or something like that. Anything I teach them, they immediately want to write down. Android is not like that, it is intuitive and you are just supposed to grab it and start playing with it, rarely if ever do you actually need instructions. Kids are very good at this, the just grab and go. The adults, well, let's just say they help me survive and earn a living. :p

Actually, I am getting a LOT of bang for the buck with ICS, I am still discovering neat things that you can do with it and apps like the wireless tether that just blow me away, so I can hold out for JB just a while longer. I do not think a week has gone by yet where I have not discovered some neat, new, cool thing I can do on Android. The Appleheads can keep their iGadgets, I will stick with Android, thank you very much. I do not want Steve Jobs telling me how many sheets of toilet paper that I can use and that I can only buy it at "The Apple Store". LOL!

No kidding. One of my best friends, Bill, has an iPhone and a Mac, plus a PC. He loves this outdated p2p program called WinMX to share super high quality music and it only runs on Windows. It is actually a pretty good program, I do not know if it is outdated or not. But he went into the Apple Store, where they always treat him like God, and he dared to ask how he can run a (Gasp!) "Windows Program" like WinMX on a Mac. They just about threw him out of the store and told him if he every even mentioned Windows in the store, they would ask him to leave. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Gosh, I am doing it again, yakking your ear off. Hey, we will talk. Tell me more about JB when you learn something new. I do like you and do want to be your friend. Man, it is late. I am going to put something good on Netflix and crash. 'night Maybish!

Goose306
08-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Ohmster, regarding JB:

I have it on both my devices now, my Nexus 7 tab as well as my GSIII. In regards to real-term improvement, I find the OS itself is much faster and smoother/snappier on JB. Granted, both of these devices are very high-powered (Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3 Quad-core and 1 GB of RAM, GSIII has Snapdragon S4 dual with 2 GB of RAM) but compared to ICS it is just... better. The stutter/lag is nearly completely abolished from the entire OS. Its all silky smooth and quick.

Google Now is also a huge boon, if you don't mind opening up your data to Google. Of course, to really fully take advantage of it, you have to let Google have access to basically everything you are doing (location, private data, etc. etc.) but its really quite nice. Its always giving me real-time updates of traffic when at work before I head home and before I take off in the morning, along with a notification if there is a weather alert/severe weather warning, etc. etc. Heck, the other day I called my local pizza place to place an order for pickup, and as soon as I got off the phone I noticed I had a message in my notification shade telling me that traffic on the main road to the pizza place was backed up and recommended I took a side route. Its almost scary how much it knows, all the time. But if you don't mind it, its a godsend of convenience. Google Now also vastly improves the voice input and output, so if you are enjoying that feature now it will just get better.

JB is a refinement of ICS. The look and feel is very similar. Its realistically what ICS should have been, but the tech wasn't up there yet for something like Google Now, and I don't think the UI refinements involved in Project Butter were very high on Google's priority when ICS was being made. However, JB just refines ICS even more, and makes it nearly flawless. Its extremely hard to find anything to complain about on JB. Even the most common Android complaint compared to iOS (stutter/jitter, not smooth/laggy) is negligible on JB.

As far as ROMs - there is a goodly assortment of them coming out. Most of the ones common on ICS/other versions are making their appearance here (AOKP, CM, Liquid, MIUI, etc.) being as JB is still pretty fresh the features haven't of course gotten up to the level they were on ICS. But development work right now is seriously blazing on these ROMs. I know when I update my GSIII on AOKP JB with the nightly build I'm usually looking at 2-3 refinements and/or new features. That is a huge amount of work to be getting covered on a daily basis. Its exciting, just like whenever anything is new, its like each day is Christmas :)

ohmster
08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Goose! You are back, man! And, ...you are a chatterbox too, that is, when I can get some of your time. Ahhhh, it feels like old times again.

I am not going to quote, it is too much for that.

Maybish has been a really big help here, at least she makes me feel very welcome and she is a super mod. I had an OTA update, downloaded it like an idiot, was afraid to install it, root and all that, so I wanted to freeze it, asked you and KD how, but you were kinda busy and KD said to wipe the cache, he does not have a GTab. That did not work but a newbie, I guess, DeckHog told me how he temporarily stopped his by stopping the updater in the app manager. i knew if he was right, he would have to freeze it, not just stop it, so I wrote back and explained. I froze mine w/Titianium and no do not get OTA anymore.

Yeah, I want JB. Was not sure if it was major like ICS or somewhat minor like bug fixes. Seems like bug fixes and refining the OS from what you say and from what Maybish reported. Heck, I let Google do everything. I never, ever trusted any company *that* much but, Google has *never* sold out, never, and they had plenty of chances. Not like Facebook and everybody else, so I really do trust Google.

Yeah yeah yeah, I want it. But, how to get it, where, for this model? Allow OTA? Lose root? Then what, how to get it back? You and KDS taught me well about taking OTA so I never do it anymore.

Samsung Galaxy Tap 2 10.1 GT-P5113 Device Info (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etheohmster/image/galaxy_tab2_10.1.png)

I really do not know the specs of this CPU and want to. I guess I could look it up, a bit lazy it seems. This cannot be crap, it is a Galaxy and Samsung does not make crap. Besides, this thing cost $400 at Best Buy and is not 30 days off the assembly line before getting into my hot little hands.

Oh I would love for you to tell me where to get JB, allow the update, and how to preserver or reinstall root, but that is a *lot* to ask, especially for someone that does not have the exact same model as I do. But I will settle for a link or two where I can ask this stuff. (You and KDS are the only ones I really trust right now, but I am learning who is the real deal and who is full of wind.)

I am a yakker and this is GOLD finding you here, in a reply. But we have a tropical storm watch, rain and wind up the butt, tornado warnings, flood warnings, and it is all just a lot of wind and rain, most of it gone now. Mom is calling, freaking out because she is all shuttered in and dark, her light with battery does not work, so I have to go now. But I will be back as soon as I can, page shortcuted to desktop.

I want JB, Google can have the wheel, tell me what to do. Come on, help me out just a little, K?

TTYS, and thanks, Goose. This really made my day! :cool:

Goose306
08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
@Ohmster glanced around a bit for your model.

I think as its fairly fresh (and lots of dev jumped on the N7 around the same time) there isn't a huge amount. There is some though. And I did find some JB goodness. Sammy hasn't pushed it out yet for OTA, its going to be in ROM form. Of course, as the tab is exploitable (unlike the Moto's) you should have an unlocked bootloader or be able to unlock it. That means moving up/down in versions of Android is extremely easy as the kernel is saved in CWM backups. I can nandroid between JB and ICS on my GSIII if I so wanted to (I've just been staying on JB though... as its just so wicked awesome :) )

Anyways, as they are unofficials/ROMs, of course you will be getting rid of the Touchwiz interface and moving into AOSP territory such as AOKP or similar. This may also come with some bugs as JB ROMs like AOKP are still in-development, as I said (AOKP just put out its first official "build 1" for JB within the last week or so) If you are still interested, let me know. I want to read up so I understand it fully, but it looks pretty simple. Just make sure you're unlocked with a custom recovery then just do CWM backup, wipe data/etc. like normal ROM flash, then install desired .zip/gapps and done.

maybish
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks goose for giving a detailed explanation! I completely forgot about google now. I started to play around with it but since the xoom spends most of its time in the bag I take to work waiting for a night that I have nothing to do I haven't really had a chance to play around. (And if you read my posts there is never a time that I have nothing to do)

As for rooting yes. I rooted my dx and never looked back. Its even rooted now and being used as a wifi device for the kids. I never rooted the xoom cause I just couldn't understand all the terminology. And I'm hoping to dive into rooting my s3 tonight hopefully with the help of a fee peeps!

Be safe out there! My family in south Florida are dealing with lots of rain and flooding but they're all ok!

*** Mays galaxy ****

ohmster
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks goose for giving a detailed explanation! I completely forgot about google now. I started to play around with it but since the xoom spends most of its time in the bag I take to work waiting for a night that I have nothing to do I haven't really had a chance to play around. (And if you read my posts there is never a time that I have nothing to do)

As for rooting yes. I rooted my dx and never looked back. Its even rooted now and being used as a wifi device for the kids. I never rooted the xoom cause I just couldn't understand all the terminology. And I'm hoping to dive into rooting my s3 tonight hopefully with the help of a fee peeps!

Be safe out there! My family in south Florida are dealing with lots of rain and flooding but they're all ok!

*** Mays galaxy ****

Wow, you are in South Florida too? Where? Here in Pomapno Beach, it was a lot of wind and rain, mostly gone now. If you are in South Florida, then you will be okay. Panhandle, ...not so much.

Okay, you're cool, you root. Goose is a pro, you can see by his detailed info why I keep him and 1KDS close by. They really do get into this stuff, KDS is a deveolper and will take the OS apart, dig into it with Linux, and actually produce the rooting discs that will boot your PC into Linux with a very easy to understand menu for rooting and updating. Goose is a ROMer and Modder, he takes this stuff very seriously, and all of his stuff hums like a well oiled machine. He can squeeze so much out of a battery as to make it cry. I respect these guys, now you know why.

You want rooting help? I did 3 devices already and can give good advice. To really be helpful, you should post your exact model and "about" screen info for us to steer you right. Can you screenshot the Settings/Device/About screen and post it Maybish? Upload the image to your personal web server space, find the link to it, and put it in the link attach button. If you do not have web space, I have plenty to spare, PM me and I will put up the image for you to post. If you do that, we all can help you find the right root instructions and files.

You can of course, stare at the About screen and type it all in, line by line, but why bother? That is what screenshots are for. Here is mine (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etheohmster/image/galaxy_tab2_10.1.png). I could post this image as a picture, but the pictures are sometimes very big and then force the browser screen to be large for people with small monitors or portable devices.

...capice?

Good. TTYL, time for dinner. Glad you are safe.

ohmster
08-27-2012, 07:53 PM

I think as its fairly fresh (and lots of dev jumped on the N7 around the same time) there isn't a huge amount. There is some though. And I did find some JB goodness. Sammy hasn't pushed it out yet for OTA, its going to be in ROM form. Of course, as the tab is exploitable (unlike the Moto's) you should have an unlocked bootloader or be able to unlock it. That means moving up/down in versions of Android is extremely easy as the kernel is saved in CWM backups. I can nandroid between JB and ICS on my GSIII if I so wanted to (I've just been staying on JB though... as its just so wicked awesome :) )

Anyways, as they are unofficials/ROMs, of course you will be getting rid of the Touchwiz interface and moving into AOSP territory such as AOKP or similar. This may also come with some bugs as JB ROMs like AOKP are still in-development, as I said (AOKP just put out its first official "build 1" for JB within the last week or so) If you are still interested, let me know. I want to read up so I understand it fully, but it looks pretty simple. Just make sure you're unlocked with a custom recovery then just do CWM backup, wipe data/etc. like normal ROM flash, then install desired .zip/gapps and done.

Goose! Thank GAWD you're here!

You do realize that you are making me drool with all of this "JB wicked awesome" stuff. Rub it in, whydoncha? :mad:

Yeah, I was getting the "This is still too new for an authenticated update with root" out there somewhere, feeling. I know what touch wiz it, what is this AOKP stuff? I am involved in another discussion, dude has the same model, and is complaining that he cannot rom back to stock or something and mentioned this aokp stuff. Hard to explain, let me find the link...

...Jesus, I could swear I replied to the guy, but must've closed the tab before hitting submit. Bummer, but here it is.

Click here for other post on this subject (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=30796471#post30796471).

So I will have a different desktop, much different? The Touch Wiz is that little bar on the bottom that has a cool Task Manager on it and a totally dumb World Clock? That bar has an "Edit" button but you cannot do anything with it. I want that dumb world clock gone and put something useful in there like ES File Explorer, but no joy, all I can do is move things up and down, but cannot remove from or add to this "touch wiz bar". The Task Manager is cool, though.

So whatever this AOKP desktop is, is it okay? No big deal? Lose my task manager bar? nandroid, what the hell is that?

Look, I want to stay pretty much stock, but if this is too new, maybe just wait? I do have CWM installed, did make a backup, the other guy who sort of told me about how to make CWM actually work instead of error out, so now I have CWM working, backup made. But he was saying he thinks the backup size is rather, "small". So I looked at mine to see.
Yeah, /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/ I have dirs for backup and blobs (whatever that is) and a .nomedia and .settings file. That is /mnt/sdcard (Internal, not /mnt/extSdCard/) and I have a dated directory 2012-08-27-15.47.25. That is where the backup stuff is.

boot.img 8.3Mb
cache.ext4.dup 196 bytes
data.ext4.dup 744.8Kb
nandroud.md5 237 bytes
recovery.img 8.3Mb
system.ext4.dup 167.4Kb

Does that look okay or does it sound, "small"?

So if this pans out, then it looks like I have a working CWM backup, CWM v5.0.0.5 RecoveryMod 6.0.1.1. This is a green light, yes? I can try a ROM safely then?

Look, I am an electronic tech of 25 years. Analog, digital, and everything home entertainment, hands on, crackshot tech. But this stuff I am new at. I don't know what nandroid or AOPK is.

Yes, Goose, I want help. But I do not want to make you go far out of your way if you are busy. I kind of feel like I am asking my neighbor to take out my garbage every night when I am an able bodied man. Now, broken down, health problems widow, different story, but, well, you understand? Don't neglect your own stuff to help me if you are busy or if this is so "bleeding edge" that it will be fraught with problems.

So, what is your opinion on all of this Goose? I need to know what you think. Thanks bud, and you never call in favors, they are waiting if you need them.

Goose306
08-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Goose! Thank GAWD you're here!

Yeah, I was getting the "This is still too new for an authenticated update with root" out there somewhere, feeling. I know what touch wiz it, what is this AOKP stuff? I am involved in another discussion, dude has the same model, and is complaining that he cannot rom back to stock or something and mentioned this aokp stuff. Hard to explain, let me find the link...

...Jesus, I could swear I replied to the guy, but must've closed the tab before hitting submit. Bummer, but here it is.

Click here for other post on this subject (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=30796471#post30796471).

So I will have a different desktop, much different? The Touch Wiz is that little bar on the bottom that has a cool Task Manager on it and a totally dumb World Clock? That bar has an "Edit" button but you cannot do anything with it. I want that dumb world clock gone and put something useful in there like ES File Explorer, but no joy, all I can do is move things up and down, but cannot remove from or add to this "touch wiz bar". The Task Manager is cool, though.

So whatever this AOKP desktop is, is it okay? No big deal? Lose my task manager bar? nandroid, what the hell is that?

Look, I want to stay pretty much stock, but if this is too new, maybe just wait? I do have CWM installed, did make a backup, the other guy who sort of told me about how to make CWM actually work instead of error out, so now I have CWM working, backup made. But he was saying he thinks the backup size is rather, "small". So I looked at mine to see.
Yeah, /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/ I have dirs for backup and blobs (whatever that is) and a .nomedia and .settings file. That is /mnt/sdcard (Internal, not /mnt/extSdCard/) and I have a dated directory 2012-08-27-15.47.25. That is where the backup stuff is.

boot.img 8.3Mb
cache.ext4.dup 196 bytes
data.ext4.dup 744.8Kb
nandroud.md5 237 bytes
recovery.img 8.3Mb
system.ext4.dup 167.4Kb

Does that look okay or does it sound, "small"?

So if this pans out, then it looks like I have a working CWM backup, CWM v5.0.0.5 RecoveryMod 6.0.1.1. This is a green light, yes? I can try a ROM safely then?

Look, I am an electronic tech of 25 years. Analog, digital, and everything home entertainment, hands on, crackshot tech. But this stuff I am new at. I don't know what nandroid or AOPK is.

Yes, Goose, I want help. But I do not want to make you go far out of your way if you are busy. I kind of feel like I am asking my neighbor to take out my garbage every night when I am an able bodied man. Now, broken down, health problems widow, different story, but, well, you understand? Don't neglect your own stuff to help me if you are busy or if this is so "bleeding edge" that it will be fraught with problems.

So, what is your opinion on all of this Goose? I need to know what you think. Thanks bud, and you never call in favors, they are waiting if you need them.

Well, IMO, not to get into too much of an editorial, but you should really read a "why you should ROM and why you shouldn't ROM" type of thread - that's really what this will devolve into. ROMs are almost gauranteed to come with some niggles and issues, but you know so does stock. Touchwiz (that is what you have right now) is by comparison huge, bloated. AOKP, as mentioned, is based off AOSP (Android Open Source Project) with more tweaks/added code/etc. So its Android as Google intended (without the Touchwiz OEM skin on it) but with the extra tweaks as AOKP wants it to have. Its just another version of Android (IMO) a much better version and Touchwiz, or any other OEM skin, but that is of course debateable based on your individual needs.

By going to something such as AOKP, you are going to forfeit most all of the bloat that comes with the stock device. Some of it you may find useful, some of it you may not. Most of it you will find a replacement for if you need it (either third-party or based on AOSP instead of Touch Wiz) but you're rebuilding your entire OS.

Personally, AOKP has been my favorite since ICS. They do an absolutely *phenomenal* job at their work. Its fast, lightweight, stable, and has the most options and fixes built in right away (of course it depends on the individual developer, but as a general opinion)

But - everything may not work. For example, with my GSIII, the NFC currently doesn't work, and data can be a bit sketchy in fringe areas. I don't use NFC much at all, and I live in an LTE area. So I have no worries about that for the most part, and those issues will likely be resolved in the future (remember what I said - JB is fresh - so expect to probably find bugs) you will probably have bugs with your GTab by updating to it - similar bugs. Probably not the same (its on a per-device basis) and you can probably figure them out by reading the forums where the various ROMs are posted, but expect to find bugs. Its not done yet (obviously - there is 3-4 people at most working on it for your device on a custom ROM if you are lucky - usually its just 1!) Samsung still isn't done and they have a huge professional development team.

So keep that in mind. If you are OK with that, and would like to proceed, I can link relevant threads to carry you forward.

Regarding your CWM backups, that sounds about right. The new CWM backups save data in two different areas, one is basically ROM specific and one is blobs specific. Blobs is generic files that multiple backups use (like apps, etc) its designed to save space. But it looks different than the old backups.

ohmster
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Goose,

Where can I get these ROMs? CWM has a ROM download section, anything in there I can use?

Screencap of CWM download ROM categories (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etheohmster/image/ROM-Manager.jpg)

Just put the rom (Is it a zip file?) where, so that CWM can see it? Root of my SD card is where I put it first time around with Odin, but I now have good wireless and can also USB the file over to tab. Just where to get and where to put?

...uh, when you get a minute, please. Thnx. :p

ohmster
08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Maybish, how are you making out with rooting the Xoom? I am recommending it for a friend who now has to buy her brother a tab for letting him get his hands on her Tab. Instead of paying the $400 again, I showed her where to get the Xoom online for a $239 base price, Amazon has new, used, and refurbs. I want JB on this tab because Goose was really rubbing it in with is "Wicked Coolness" yak. So I am now looking for a decent Samsung JB ROM to try. Thank God for Clockworkmod ROM Manager and I finally have mine working. Thus, this should be really simple with a way out.

maybish
08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I won't be rooting the xoom. But I did root my s3!

***May's Galaxy***

ohmster
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Ohhh, you are not gonna? Shame. I did the Galaxy and it really was not that hard. This is a WiFi only tab, but with Root, I want to be able to use Clockworkmod ROM manager. Now I have a total system backup of the current ROM. As Goose said, I can find the jellybean ROM, install it, and always go back by using the CWM boot manager at startup. Plus, NONE of those annoying ads in Pandora and all the kewl free appsl Titanium Backup, keeps *everything* backed up, even to restore to a different model as it deals with each item separately.

HEy, thanks for the heads up on the Xoom. My best friend took her Tab 2 to Vancouver, her brother got all hot and sweaty once he held it in his hands, and somehow, it never got back into her luggage on the way home. I told her that Galaxy was a gonner. But she called the next day, rental car company found it and will ship it back to her. Amazing. But she wants to give her brother the same thing, although $400 is a bit pricey. That Xoom will cost $400 here in any store, but at Amazon they go from $400 to a bit over $200 for a Motorola Refurb. That is factory rebuilt, usually new devices that failed shortly within sale, and comes with warranty. She will get the rebuild insead.

I cannot believe at how much, like the same they are.

Look at this side by side comparison. (http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/401519/motorola_xoom_vs_samsung_galaxy_tab_10_1_tablet_sh owdown/)

Thanks Maybish, always at your service.

ohmster
09-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I won't be rooting the xoom. But I did root my s3!

***May's Galaxy***

Maybish, do you have unlimited data? If so, I know of two apps that will let you give internet to the Xoom, laptop, several devices, or even your home PC right from the phone without paying the $20 per month, use it or not, fee that Verizon charges. Do you need or want something like that?

maybish
09-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Nope I'm good. My xoom is wifi only and I do have unlimited! Thanks anyway!

***May's Galaxy***

ohmster
09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Well almighty then! Me, I just *love* seeing that huge map screen when driving and not having to star at the tiny Google Navigator. I am working with Goose to get the JB update on this Galaxy. He says it is like "silky smooth", just what you told me. I just have to try this. With a rooted tab and ClockworkMod, I can go back anytime if it does not go well.

ohmster
09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Goose, if you are still here (Yes, I will PM this.), can I ask one more question? You do not have to go on at length if you are busy (But I *do* so love it when you do!), just give me the straight dope. Are these Jellybean ASOP ROMS rooted or rootagble should I go for it and try one out? You know I would give my left gonad to keep root. (Sorry, the right one is precious!) How does that work? I download and install the CyanogenMod and install it, how, Odin? Or from CWM? CWM rocks and they have a "Download ROM" option that takes you to 2 Featured, 1 Premium, and 3 Free ROM sections. The premium is Font Packs for Android 4. Featured is Superuser and ClockworkMod, and Free is CyanogenMod Nightlies (That sounds a little too much like "beta" for my tastes.), Cyanogen (Now we're talking!), and Cerberus. CyanogenMod is a 5 star ROM, sounds good. I would *love* to leave Samsung and move on to ASOP, Open Source is so freaking cool and with Google at the wheel instead of a commercial venture like Redhat, they will do it RIGHT.

CyanogenMod has 3 ROMS:

CyanogenMod 9.1.0 (Stable)
CyanogenMod 9.0.0
CyanogenMod 9.0.0 RC2

What do you think? 9.1.0 is stable but 9.0.0 RC2 is a release candidate, that is the closest to "completely done" as it gets. I like to set my stuff up and use it for long periods at this time. Perhaps I will get more into this and want to experiment more like you do. I must admit, what you did with MUIU is incredable from the screenies you sent, bra. Man, you version was nothing like the screenies that I looked at. Your screens rock, plus I love the CPU gauge and how you squeezed so much out of a battery as to make it cry.

Come on man, I am dying for launch, give the the green light, thumbs up, last minute advice, root info (Does it come with, do I have to use some form of rootkeeper, or is it easy to root these ROMS? If so, how?

I am going to PM you and KD just to keep him in the loop, also send you link to this post. Would be good to answer what you can in public to help others, PM the rest if there is any. Thank you so much. Man, what the hell can I ever do for you? Tell you what, if and when I get to meet you, you will get 2 (Count 'em), genuine NY style Sabrett hot dogs (http://www.sabrett.com/) with red onion sauce (http://www.russelnod.com/2009/01/19/sabretts-red-onion-sauce/). This will make a grown man weep with desire and finding one in Florida is next to but not totally impossible. (Darn it, now that I had to go and say that, tomorrow I will have to go find them and have it for lunch, it has been too long already.) Okay, so you cannot retire on it, but for just a few minutes, you will think you died and have gone to Heaven. Now I do not know much about Chicago hot dogs with tomatoes and green stuff on them, to me, they looked like the chef just went nuts and did not know when to stop putting "suff" on a hot dog, but rumor has it that they are very good, the best as quoted by many famous people.

So what do you think, can you give me the final shove and begin the ignition sequence? Thanks bra! :cool:

Goose306
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Goose, if you are still here (Yes, I will PM this.), can I ask one more question? You do not have to go on at length if you are busy (But I *do* so love it when you do!), just give me the straight dope. Are these Jellybean ASOP ROMS rooted or rootagble should I go for it and try one out? You know I would give my left gonad to keep root. (Sorry, the right one is precious!) How does that work?

The ROMs are pre-rooted. No need to apply any sort of rootkeeper program or re-root. When you flash the new ROM, it will already be rooted.

I download and install the CyanogenMod and install it, how, Odin? Or from CWM?

You should be installing custom ROMs via CWM. With most Sammy devices you can also flash via Odin, but it needs to be in a tarbell format and it also increases your binary flash counter. So its better to just with CWM with the standard .zip packages. Make sure you read the OP of the thread where you get it from for flash instructions. Also, AOSP-based ROMs will require a gapps (Google Apps) package, they are not packaged with the ROMs due to legal reasons (CyanogenMod was hit with a C&D from Google when it first started up) because gapps are proprietary and not open-source from Google.

CyanogenMod has 3 ROMS:

CyanogenMod 9.1.0 (Stable)
CyanogenMod 9.0.0
CyanogenMod 9.0.0 RC2
What do you think? 9.1.0 is stable but 9.0.0 RC2 is a release candidate, that is the closest to "completely done" as it gets. I like to set my stuff up and use it for long periods at this time. Perhaps I will get more into this and want to experiment more like you do.

CyongenMod 9.x is ICS. CyanogenMod 10 is JB. So; flashing 9.x will work, but you won't get the benefits of JB. (Google Now, Project Butter, enhanced notifications, etc) Regardless you will be moving off the bloated Touchwiz base and moving into AOSP territory. Generally, ICS is going to be more stable than JB for most devices at this time if you don't have official JB (Samsung hasn't updated your device to JB); however this is device dependent. For example, on my GSIII JB AOSP runs just as good as ICS AOSP; so all current development for AOSP is really focused on JB as there is no reason to really work on ICS anymore; its outdated. This isn't true for all devices though. You really have to read up on the forums for where the ROM(s) are located to find that out.

If you want ICS, CM9 will work great for you. 9.1 will be newest, and if it says stable I'd go for that. If you want JB, I'd pick up one of those I sent to you awhile ago. I found CM10 and AOKP currently for JB on your device, my personal preference is AOKP between the two. Both are source built from AOSP, and they share a fair bit of code between them. CM tends to be more minimal with some light tweaks on AOSP, AOKP is more heavily re-skinned with a lot more tweaks generally, although both are still doing a fair bit of work on re-coding all their tweaks to JB at this point (there's no RCs for either really on JB yet)

ohmster
09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
The ROMs are pre-rooted. No need to apply any sort of rootkeeper program or re-root. When you flash the new ROM, it will already be rooted.

You should be installing custom ROMs via CWM. With most Sammy devices you can also flash via Odin, but it needs to be in a tarbell format and it also increases your binary flash counter. So its better to just with CWM with the standard .zip packages. Make sure you read the OP of the thread where you get it from for flash instructions. Also, AOSP-based ROMs will require a gapps (Google Apps) package, they are not packaged with the ROMs due to legal reasons (CyanogenMod was hit with a C&D from Google when it first started up) because gapps are proprietary and not open-source from Google.

CyongenMod 9.x is ICS. CyanogenMod 10 is JB. So; flashing 9.x will work, but you won't get the benefits of JB. (Google Now, Project Butter, enhanced notifications, etc) Regardless you will be moving off the bloated Touchwiz base and moving into AOSP territory. Generally, ICS is going to be more stable than JB for most devices at this time if you don't have official JB (Samsung hasn't updated your device to JB); however this is device dependent. For example, on my GSIII JB AOSP runs just as good as ICS AOSP; so all current development for AOSP is really focused on JB as there is no reason to really work on ICS anymore; its outdated. This isn't true for all devices though. You really have to read up on the forums for where the ROM(s) are located to find that out.

If you want ICS, CM9 will work great for you. 9.1 will be newest, and if it says stable I'd go for that. If you want JB, I'd pick up one of those I sent to you awhile ago. I found CM10 and AOKP currently for JB on your device, my personal preference is AOKP between the two. Both are source built from AOSP, and they share a fair bit of code between them. CM tends to be more minimal with some light tweaks on AOSP, AOKP is more heavily re-skinned with a lot more tweaks generally, although both are still doing a fair bit of work on re-coding all their tweaks to JB at this point (there's no RCs for either really on JB yet)

Goose!

Thanks for showing up man. A party is just no fun if the right friends are a no show. Uh, a few things here.

This is an edit, I had to come back and clear up some stuff before you get fed up with reading so much. Uh, before we get too far into this, you mention I should be reading these links that you have sent me, like for the why to ROM and stuff like the new ROMS available, what they offer, how far along they are, bugs, not working yet, etc., and I cannot find any links all the way through this post. Did you really send me links? Where? I know that *you* found the stuff I should be reading, but I haven't seen it and would really like to read up so I do not have to ask you so many "stupid" questions, redundant questions, etc. I would like to see the cyanogenmod web pages so that I can read up on it. What I am seeing is in CWM, under "Download ROM". I can see the available ROMs and download them, but I do not get the URL to the page, nor are there any URLs to instructions, FAQ,, How To, etc. Where is this stuff? I am sure it is all over the place but you know "where the good stuff is" and that is where I want to go, not waste time on a bunch of knuckleheads asking "Will this Samsung ROM work on my iPad?" and other dumb stuff like that. If you can send me a few educational links to the stuff we are discussing, we can squelch a LOT of the radio noise that is in this channel and get right to the meat and potatoes.
What do you say, Goose, want to go that route instead of constantly answering questions to inch me ever closer to what I need?

I thought that I would try something really simple in CWM and install a new font, how big a deal can that be? I do it in Windows and Linux all the time and it does not even require a reboot, much less is it complicated. I downloaded the zip file but to install it, look at what CWM is giving me:

ROM Pre-Installation
---------------------------------------
Backup Exisiting ROM
Wipe Data and Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache (checked)
Cancel OK

I really have to wipe the entire tablet, cache, factory reset, and go back to ground zero just to install a new font? They got to be kidding me! No? I need an education, dude, FAST, so we can have more inteligent conversations. Help me Goose. Send me some good links to bookmark and read please.

Yes, I have CWM, working, and would like to stay with that platform for ROMing. Uh, the way CWM offers downloads, they are ROM format, I downloaded a font pack, thought that would be an easy install, and was shocked at what I got. I really do not get to "see the web page with instructions" when I grab the CWM ROMS through CWM. Perhaps I need to google out the source of these pages and read them more thoroughly. on my sdcard in the clockworkmod dir, I found a bunch of stuff in the download folder. (I give up and will use the term "folder" instead of the standard Linux directory term.) There are 12 62 byte numerical files, no clue what they are. If opened by text, they seem to be huge lists of cyanogen mods. There is a developer folder, in that is a download folder again, in that is an 4 digit number folder, in that is another 4 digit number folder, finally, a FontpackICS zip file. I think I can install that with, what, CWM?

My whole point was really to get Jellybean, but since it is really not ready for prime time on Sammy, I will wait for it. I would like to go AOSP, but want the google stuff. Not sure how to get gapps, where do I find this?

I am not as dumb as I appear to be, remember I am a 25+ year crack-shot electronic tech, digital and analog, including microprocessor. I actually know how a computer works, step by step, part by part. I know Windows and Linux, inside and out, but the phone stuff stymies me with all the new acronyms. I will now have to go back through all of your posts to list them and make a reference sheet.
ASOP - Android Open Source Project
AKOP - S0mething similar, but not quite? Give up Touch Wiz and get AKOP, so this must be a desktop of sorts, no?

The one thing that scares me a bit is that to install a ROM, I will have to wipe the entire tablet, all caches and factory reset. I learned this the hard way by skipping it last time I rooted. I ended up having to do it anyway, even after being STRONGLY advised that it would be a good thing to wipe it all.

Caches. These things have more caches than a pirate has gold. What the hell are all of these caches and what happens when wiped? I am talking about two main ones, I think. Download cache, and this "dalvik cache", what is it and what does it do?

I *love* CWM, Google backup, and of course Titanium Backup. I am at the point where I am quite pleased with the stuff I have installed and would hate to lose it all, not be able to restore it, or worse, lost it all and not have a list of what I had so that I could go out and look for and install it again.

So, if I install a new ROM, I have to wipe everything? Then I am stuck with a cool tablet with no jellybean yet, but open source android and ice cream sandwich which would be very cool. But, now I need to find this google pack and install that too? Will I be able to use ANY of the backup and restore methods that I have setup to restore my stuff? Since I will be restoring to a totally new system, it stands to reason that my restore effort could to far more damage than good if it install data and apps in the wrong places. I think I have the option to restore apps with Titanium, but not system data. Would that be safe to use? Would Google put back my contacts and personal info?

Since restoring everything I had by hand is something I look forward to like a case of syphilis, I would rather just wait for the real JB to show up if it is going to be this big of a deal. I am one of those anal guys that has to "put it all back at once". Meaning I will be sitting here for over 6 hours, just putting in apps, user names, passwords, and setting things up and I think that not even 6 straight hours is enough to do all that. Some of these apps I paid for and really do not want to lose.

Now that CM10 sounds really interesting but no RC status on them yet. What, in your opinion, is the level of completion that they are at? 80%, 65%, many functions will be lost, camera perhaps? Or do you think they are complete enough to warrant a go at them? I can always do a CWM backup prior to trying this so if it is totally unacceptable, I can just restore my backup and everything should be as it was, yes? I want whatever you are using, AOKP I guess because it will be the best of what they make because it is more customized. But to go through all of this only to find it is not really functional would be a major buzz kill. This is why I do not use beta software anymore. I want to see that link to CM10 if you have it handy please.

So what do you think, am I too paranoid, lighten up and give it a go, or just wait for what I really want and get it done then?

Thank you my budness, I have to go shopping, install Netflix for mom, and finally eat some dinner. Time to go. Will be watching this thread intently. 'night!

Goose306
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Goose!

Thanks for showing up man. A party is just no fun if the right friends are a no show. Uh, a few things here.

This is an edit, I had to come back and clear up some stuff before you get fed up with reading so much. Uh, before we get too far into this, you mention I should be reading these links that you have sent me, like for the why to ROM and stuff like the new ROMS available, what they offer, how far along they are, bugs, not working yet, etc., and I cannot find any links all the way through this post. Did you really send me links? Where? I know that *you* found the stuff I should be reading, but I haven't seen it and would really like to read up so I do not have to ask you so many "stupid" questions, redundant questions, etc. I would like to see the cyanogenmod web pages so that I can read up on it. What I am seeing is in CWM, under "Download ROM". I can see the available ROMs and download them, but I do not get the URL to the page, nor are there any URLs to instructions, FAQ,, How To, etc. Where is this stuff? I am sure it is all over the place but you know "where the good stuff is" and that is where I want to go, not waste time on a bunch of knuckleheads asking "Will this Samsung ROM work on my iPad?" and other dumb stuff like that. If you can send me a few educational links to the stuff we are discussing, we can squelch a LOT of the radio noise that is in this channel and get right to the meat and potatoes.
What do you say, Goose, want to go that route instead of constantly answering questions to inch me ever closer to what I need?

I thought that I would try something really simple in CWM and install a new font, how big a deal can that be? I do it in Windows and Linux all the time and it does not even require a reboot, much less is it complicated. I downloaded the zip file but to install it, look at what CWM is giving me:

ROM Pre-Installation
---------------------------------------
Backup Exisiting ROM
Wipe Data and Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache (checked)
Cancel OK

I really have to wipe the entire tablet, cache, factory reset, and go back to ground zero just to install a new font? They got to be kidding me! No? I need an education, dude, FAST, so we can have more inteligent conversations. Help me Goose. Send me some good links to bookmark and read please.

Regarding CWM, its pretty easy. As far as installing fonts most install them automatically. If you are downloading via ROM Manager, and it is giving you a .zip, that .zip is to install via CWM. For installing a font, you should probably just wipe your cache and call it good.

In your case, your going for the whole shebang, so we're doing a ROM. Here's precisely what I do every time I do a ROM flash to make sure I have a happy system coming out the other side.

First, do your pre-flash stuff. What this means is update your backups of your apps in Titanium (user apps ONLY, no system apps - just apps you've downloaded) make sure all your other stuff is synced to the Google servers (contacts, etc).

Go ahead and boot into CWM.

Make a backup in CWM if you wish (this will allow you to return to your previous point if you don't like where you go)

Wipe data/factory reset (depending on the version of CWM it may be worded slightly differently, but if you see where it says wipe data or factory reset, do it)
Wipe cache (again, depending on version if may be worded slightly differently)
Wipe dalvik (again, wording - it will be located under the "Advanced" section of the main menu on CWM)
Wipe system (it will probably say format system, regardless - it should be under the "Mounts and Storage" section of the main menu on CWM)

Now go to install .zip from SDCard.
Browse to your ROM file. (.zip)

Choose the .zip and accept it.

After it finishes go back to install .zip from SDCard.
Browse to your gapps file. (.zip)

Choose the .zip and accept it.

Now reboot out. The device will boot, once its booted you will go through the setup prompts (adding your Google account, etc.) when it gives you the option to sync your Google account DO NOT sync as it will download all your apps from the market - worthless time waster as we will do via Titanium.

Once your in, open Play Store. Get Titanium Backup. As I said ROMs are pre-rooted, so just grant it Superuser when it prompts. Go ahead and do the batch restore of USER APPs only.

And... you're done. Time to get to tweaking/messing with settings and playing in your new playground.

Yes, I have CWM, working, and would like to stay with that platform for ROMing. Uh, the way CWM offers downloads, they are ROM format, I downloaded a font pack, thought that would be an easy install, and was shocked at what I got. I really do not get to "see the web page with instructions" when I grab the CWM ROMS through CWM. Perhaps I need to google out the source of these pages and read them more thoroughly. on my sdcard in the clockworkmod dir, I found a bunch of stuff in the download folder. (I give up and will use the term "folder" instead of the standard Linux directory term.) There are 12 62 byte numerical files, no clue what they are. If opened by text, they seem to be huge lists of cyanogen mods. There is a developer folder, in that is a download folder again, in that is an 4 digit number folder, in that is another 4 digit number folder, finally, a FontpackICS zip file. I think I can install that with, what, CWM?

My whole point was really to get Jellybean, but since it is really not ready for prime time on Sammy, I will wait for it. I would like to go AOSP, but want the google stuff. Not sure how to get gapps, where do I find this?

I am not as dumb as I appear to be, remember I am a 25+ year crack-shot electronic tech, digital and analog, including microprocessor. I actually know how a computer works, step by step, part by part. I know Windows and Linux, inside and out, but the phone stuff stymies me with all the new acronyms. I will now have to go back through all of your posts to list them and make a reference sheet.
ASOP - Android Open Source Project
AKOP - S0mething similar, but not quite? Give up Touch Wiz and get AKOP, so this must be a desktop of sorts, no?

Long story short AOSP is vanilla Android as Google wants it. There really is no AOSP for yours as it isn't designed that way (its a Touchwiz Samsung device). The only devices to really have true, pure AOSP as Google intends is Nexus devices. CyanogenMod (CM) and Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) are just branches off AOSP. They both offer varying customizations on the stock AOSP experience. CyanogenMod tends to be a lighter, more consistent approach, AOKP tends to be a lot more heavily modified and more tweaks available. For that, its Tomato, Toh'mahto, so to speak. Both are built on AOSP, just a different look and feel. CyanogenMod is what most people who have non-Nexus devices consider "AOSP" as true AOSP is not really available for their devices and CyanogenMod is just a basic light re-skin on AOSP with more settings/tweaks.

Regarding threads for ROMs:

AOKP JB
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1842087)
CyanogenMod JB
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1786828)
As far as how complete they are, it really does just vary on the device, to be 100% honest. You will have to browse the relevant threads I linked above to see what other users are reporting. For example, on Jelly Bean on my Verizon GSIII, it runs just as good or better Jelly Bean AOSP as ICS AOSP. The same bugs persist across both platforms at this time, but most major items are 100% (phone/text/data/camera/gps/bluetooth/nfc/etc all work.) Again, this is entirely device dependent however.

The one thing that scares me a bit is that to install a ROM, I will have to wipe the entire tablet, all caches and factory reset. I learned this the hard way by skipping it last time I rooted. I ended up having to do it anyway, even after being STRONGLY advised that it would be a good thing to wipe it all.

Caches. These things have more caches than a pirate has gold. What the hell are all of these caches and what happens when wiped? I am talking about two main ones, I think. Download cache, and this "dalvik cache", what is it and what does it do?

Regarding caches, don't worry too much about those. Dalvik cache is the cache for the dalvik VM that Android runs java on. The main cache is just that... just a normal cache. Wiping caches for the most part has little effect on your daily business. Apps just need to rebuild their caches if you wipe it, which makes your battery take a bit of a hit the first day or two after you wipe. That's about it though. No real data is lost. The "losing all data" part happens when you wipe your data and wipe your system as I described above. But if you make the backup in CWM first and if you have your Titanium backups that doesn't really matter. The Titanium backups will re-keep all your user apps and data, you will just lose system data like settings/wifi passwords/etc. Its a bit of a pain but not that major. I tend to only take 10-15 minutes setting up a new ROM after a squeaky clean wipe. Course, I'm used to it and do it on a regular basis (usually a few times a week at minimum) but even if you're not used to it it shouldn't be too difficult.

Plus, if you do b0rk something up, its not a big deal. Just go back to CWM, and restore your backup. You will be right back to where you were before you did anything (it even keeps your caches and everything backed up). So you should just go for it. If you have a CWM backup you have a safety net.

ohmster
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Goose,

OMG, everything I need and asked for. I am speachless (Imagine that!) and am also too starving to comment but I briefly scanned it, checked the links to make sure I can get gapps, and am *way* satisfied. I saved this post to pdf with links, and must make and eat dinner. Will get back to you soon. Thank you braness!