PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a .605 flash for root, Could someone Help with info?

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Since i purchased my DX from a local shop, And it has a 30day warranty, I am gonna attempt doing the milestone flash to .605 for root. Its .621 ATM

If all else fails and i FUBAR it i can take it in and play the dumb customer "it just started crashing and turned off, Now it does xxxxx"

Anyway. Since i am new to DX and have never done a root method as in depth as the DX method is, i had a few questions.

1) Any pro DX flashers if you could give me any pre-flash tips or heads up ? Are there any things i really need to be careful with?

1.5) Can i do the flash totally within windows or do i have to use linux? Whats the easiest way to do a boot into linux?

2) Where can i find the most complete step by step instructions for doing the root flash ?

3) After gaining root, Where can i find instructions on flashing something other than stock ROM?

4) Opinions on which ROM is the best for stability / performance.

I hope some people can gimmi some pointers. I had a samsung fascinate and because i live in a rural area, every time im out the carrier signal quality is piss poor, And apparently the phantom back button bug is hardware not software. And it happend 50% of the time. Wasnt for that i woulda kept it.

I like the DX alot also though. If i can get it rooted i will be VERY happy with it.

THANK YOU!

DirtyDroid
08-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Welcome...because its on 621 you can't revert back to 605...but you can still root and flash ..I'm heading into work so sorry for the small post...I'll get links when I find some time

tap'd from the Gnex

jeems
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
1.) I have never done the .621 root but here's all the info. It should be pretty straightforward, just make sure you follow all the instructions. Just don't worry and if you have problems come back here and someone should be able to help you.

1.5) you will see below but what you do is create a live CD or flash drive. won't mess up your windows system but will let it operate in linux off the CD or flash drive.

2.) Start here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html) at the line: I took .621 and I want to root! This will tell you what to do. Here is the link to the linux sbf method: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

3.) Same thread but next paragraph: I rooted .621 and now I want to flash something.

4.) I recommend wizard's miui. Liberty and vortex are nice as well (pay attention to the section about flashing blur roms, both of these are blur roms and require a patched version. The link is in the .621 thread). If you want ICS I prefer AOKP.

Happy rooting.

jeems
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Welcome...because its on 621 you can't revert back to 605...but you can still root and flash ..I'm heading into work so sorry for the small post...I'll get links when I find some time

tap'd from the Gnex

Forgot to mention that. You actually revert to .604 which is a Milestone X (debranded droid) version.

Goose306
08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Link in my sig, important info for 621, should answer all the questions you might have.

And welcome to the DX. Its a great phone

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

DirtyDroid
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks jeems n goose

tap'd from the Gnex

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
wow thank you all for the great support!

i am going to read them and get all the files downloaded so all i gotta do is worry about flash.

If anyone has some opinions on ROMS i would love to hear them. Is there a cyanogen for the dx?

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Help,

which ISO do i start with the .604 ?

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 07:45 PM
OK

Tell me if im on the rigt track please:

1) Backed up everything on my phone
2) Download UNetoot and KDStaz .604 (since my phone is stock .621)
3) Did a factory reset on the phone
4) Used UNetBoot to make a bootable USB
5) Booted into KDStaz .604 script

Right now my computer is at the command promt asking me if im ready to flash the phone so what i need to do is:

Put the phone is DL mode (CAMERA + VOL DOWN + PWR) Run script, Reboot

THEN i can grab a .621 rooted and dedoxed and flash it to .621 w/root

All that correct? i am about to hit the big red launch button and knowing my luck simple programming my phone will lead to a world wide nuclear winter.

?

Goose306
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
OK

Tell me if im on the rigt track please:

1) Backed up everything on my phone
2) Download UNetoot and KDStaz .604 (since my phone is stock .621)
3) Did a factory reset on the phone
4) Used UNetBoot to make a bootable USB
5) Booted into KDStaz .604 script

Right now my computer is at the command promt asking me if im ready to flash the phone so what i need to do is:

Put the phone is DL mode (CAMERA + VOL DOWN + PWR) Run script, Reboot

THEN i can grab a .621 rooted and dedoxed and flash it to .621 w/root

All that correct? i am about to hit the big red launch button and knowing my luck simple programming my phone will lead to a world wide nuclear winter.

?

You got it. Boot off the USB, choose the sbf option, let it do its thing while in the bootloader. After it finishes boot it up, enable USB debugging and non-market sources, choose root option. Once rooted follow standard ROM flash procedures to bootstrap, wipe, and flash the 621 deodexed pre-root if that's what you are looking for. I was always a fan of Wiz's MIUI when I had my DX.

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Really?

Can you fill me in on the MIUI ? short list would be cool. I am totaly new to DX roms obviously

Fry_Man
08-10-2012, 09:26 PM
WOOT! SUCCESS! :angry:

rooted 604. Now to pick a ROM :cry:

jeems
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd start MiUi if you like customization, stability. There is a new vortex/liberty mix that sounds promising but I haven't run it yet. aokp if you want to try ics.

DroidX.xparent.green