PDA

View Full Version : Root for. 621

eppdroid37
08-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Ok. So I recently came back to my DX. It is on .621 . I sbf`d to the MX .604 and rooted via DooMLoRDs zip. Now my question is, how do I get to. 605. ? I did all the flashing via Windows 7. I know you're supposed to do it via linux but don't have a blank cd laying around. Any help would be appreciated ...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bearhntr
08-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I have also followed the steps to get the .604 installed and the phone is now rooted. I would like to know how do I :

1) Change the name of the Device from MILESTONE X back to be DROID X since it is rooted now, and

2) Is it possible to take it back to .621 and keep it rooted?

eppdroid37
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
No. Already tried. Sbf works on .604 and US. .621. You can't flash any other Sbf files. Earlier versions don't work either

Goose306
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
There is pre-rooted ROM zips for 621 that will put you back on a Droid X rooted on 621. Follow the link in my sig for Important Info for 621, it is in there at bottom of OP and link in 2nd post.

Sent from my CM10 GSIII

eppdroid37
08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I tried the .621 rom. It worked but when I tried to activate my phone it said it was the wrong number...

Goose306
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I tried the .621 rom. It worked but when I tried to activate my phone it said it was the wrong number...

What's your baseband version?

Also try *228+ ? (Can get + by long pressing 0)

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

bearhntr
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Goose,

Thanks - I will try the links in your SIG this weekend to see if I can get my phone to a ROOTED .621. As there are a lot of my apps that I like - which seem to not like the Milestone X image.

I tried to figure out how to change the name of my device from the MILESTONE X, back to DROID X - but cannot figure out how to change it.

bearhntr
08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Goose,

Okay. I followed your instructions. Now when I boot my phone, I get a screen that reads:

Bootloader
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

I cannot get the phone to do anything. Tried flashing back to the MILESTONE .604 image and I am getting the same message.

I have tried this with and without the SD card installed in the phone. Powering on with the HOME KEY PRESSED gives me the same screen.

I have tried RSDLite with the stoc .605 image as posted and nothing will get my phone back. Have I killed my Droid?

Please advise.

bearhntr
08-12-2012, 04:02 PM
More More More & Lots More

Okay. Now I think I have recovered my phone - wish I had not done this...but hey, I need my phone.

I tracked down and used RSDLite with the 1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf file and my phone appears (so far - still checking it all out) to be back to the OTA VZW .621 image. No ROOT (that appears to be gone now).

How exactly is the best way to either 1) Get to [ROMS] Droid X 4.5.621 Stock Rooted / Stock Deodexed / Modded ClockworkMod Flashable Updates by kY - Droid X Development - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25017-roms-droid-x-45621-stock-rooted-stock-deodexed-modded-clockworkmod-flashable-updates-by-ky/) and the 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4C2DtuUD3hDTE0tVDFQRURDMTA)) "This Is How Moto Should Have Done It" Edition file so that I have
rooted.621, or

2) Some other ROOTED .621 so that I can remove all the BLOAT from the VZ image....

OR!!!

preferably 3) Get an ICS image onto the phone?

I see all these .ZIP files that are supposed to take to back to .605, but they are not .SBF files. How does one use one of those?

Boy does my head hurt today trying to get a decent ROM on my Droid X where everything seems to work.

My IDEAL goal would be to have a working ICS ROM on my phone where some of the VZ tools that I use will work. IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE???

Many thanks ahead of time to all of you that have replied.

bearhntr
08-12-2012, 04:05 PM
OK...still even more.

After I got the phone back to booting under the VZ .621 image. I tried to use the CD ( Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.605.iso (http://goo.gl/zlzn1)) to go back to .604...it appeared to go through - as it had worked in the past, but when I booted the phone I get:

Bootloader
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
Data Cable

all over again.

Why oh Why is this so hard???

bearhntr
08-12-2012, 05:22 PM
OK. Back to .604 Milestone X / after 5 times running through the Linux CD. Also ROOTED.

Now the biggie. I have tried to use the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip & WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip files. Copied them to the root of the SD card. Booted into CWM (I guess I am in CWM getting the Traingle (!) screen - then the four options). I flash/clear the caches and user data. Then re-boot, and then try the update via SD card.

I point to the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip file and execute it. It acts like it is going to go....then errors out - something about a signature. The same for the WIFI file.

How does one use these two now?

What about using the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip OR the Stock-Rooted-Deodexed .605 files - also put those on the SD Card. Getting errors about signatue.

I think I am getting closer. But not playing horeshoes or handgranades....close does not count. LOL

Goose306
08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
OK. Back to .604 Milestone X / after 5 times running through the Linux CD. Also ROOTED.

Now the biggie. I have tried to use the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip & WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip files. Copied them to the root of the SD card. Booted into CWM (I guess I am in CWM getting the Traingle (!) screen - then the four options). I flash/clear the caches and user data. Then re-boot, and then try the update via SD card.

I point to the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip file and execute it. It acts like it is going to go....then errors out - something about a signature. The same for the WIFI file.

How does one use these two now?

What about using the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip OR the Stock-Rooted-Deodexed .605 files - also put those on the SD Card. Getting errors about signatue.

I think I am getting closer. But not playing horeshoes or handgranades....close does not count. LOL

The triangle with an exclamation mark is stock recovery it won't work. How did you install CWM?

Sent from my pink unicorn flying through space... with jellybeans

bearhntr
08-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Install CWM ???

I thought that was what the Press and Hold HOME and power on - then VOL + & - was. Am I not correct?

I am also not seeing these:

Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
Format system (under Mounts and Storage)

I do not see those option anywhere. Do I need to install something else?

I see no way to turn OFF this Signature Verification (or ON) what ever status it is supposed to be set to.

As I said - I know I am getting close. and GEEZ, I thought changing the ROM on my old OMNIA (Windows phone) was hard. lol

What about puting ICS on the Droid X??? I found this link - is this at all possible? [ROM] LiquidICS v1.5 [Unofficial port] - DroidX (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/215259-liquidics-v1-5-unofficial-port-droidx.html)

Many Thanks.

Goose306
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Install CWM ???

I thought that was what the Press and Hold HOME and power on - then VOL + & - was. Am I not correct?

I am also not seeing these:

Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
Format system (under Mounts and Storage)

I do not see those option anywhere. Do I need to install something else?

I see no way to turn OFF this Signature Verification (or ON) what ever status it is supposed to be set to.

As I said - I know I am getting close. and GEEZ, I thought changing the ROM on my old OMNIA (Windows phone) was hard. lol

What about puting ICS on the Droid X??? I found this link - is this at all possible? [ROM] LiquidICS v1.5 [Unofficial port] - DroidX (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/215259-liquidics-v1-5-unofficial-port-droidx.html)

Many Thanks.

ROM changing on the DX is significantly harder than most any other Android phone (but like lots of other Motos) due to... being a Moto. And encrypted bootloader.

You need the bootstrapper. It basically wraps the stock recovery. What you are getting into is stock recovery. Its good for wiping data and that's about it. All files flashed through there need to be signed by Moto and Moto alone (no-one has the private keys for that except them).

Go to the Market/Play Store. Search for Droid 2 Bootstrap. Its a few $$, its necessary, so just buy it. There's no free alternatives. Also get ROM Manager while you are there (there IS a free version, that works fine, so get the free one if you want.) Now open Droid 2 Bootstrap, choose the option to Bootstrap Recovery. Grant it Superuser, and wait for the success message. Once that pops, go to ROM Manager, choose to Update Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) when it pops up with the options, choose either Droid 2 or Droid X (2nd Init) options, grant it Superuser; and wait for the Success message for that (Droid 2 works great on stock and stock based ROMs only, Droid X (2nd-init) works on all ROMs, so for ease of memory you may just use the 2nd-init option going forward). NOW choose the option right there from ROM Manager to boot into recovery. You should see a different recovery, with a black hat in the background with an arrow - THIS is Clockwork, you can flash and wipe away :)

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Goose,

OK. I will give that a whirl. Before I buy the DROID 2 bootstrapper...I see there is one out there for the DROID X. Shoud I use that one instead?

Once I purchase one of these (seeing that I have never bought anything from google play before), do I ever have to buy it again if I re-load or re-image my phone?

Meaning does GooglePlay keep a record of my purchases?

Goose306
08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Goose,

OK. I will give that a whirl. Before I buy the DROID 2 bootstrapper...I see there is one out there for the DROID X. Shoud I use that one instead?

Once I purchase one of these (seeing that I have never bought anything from google play before), do I ever have to buy it again if I re-load or re-image my phone?

Meaning does GooglePlay keep a record of my purchases?

Yes Google at keeps purchases. Once bought once, it should never need to be bought again. This is across multiple devices as well (eg apps I bought on my DX I use on my GSIII, same with my Nexus 7) just make sure you are using the same Google ID.

As far as the version, get the Droid 2. Droid X version is outdated, hasn't worked properly since Froyo. Droid 2 is basically a Droid X with a slide out keyboard and smaller screen, lots of things are cross compatible, including bootstrapper.

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Now open Droid 2 Bootstrap, choose the option to Bootstrap Recovery. Grant it Superuser, and wait for the success message. Once that pops, go to ROM Manager, choose to Update Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) when it pops up with the options, choose either Droid 2 or Droid X (2nd Init) options, grant it Superuser; and wait for the Success message for that (Droid 2 works great on stock and stock based ROMs only, Droid X (2nd-init) works on all ROMs, so for ease of memory you may just use the 2nd-init option going forward). NOW choose the option right there from ROM Manager to boot into recovery.

OK....getting closer I can feel the vibrations!!! I got the Droid 2 Bootstrapper installed...gave it root access.

Then I installed the ROM Manager (clockworkmod - the Tophat with the gear icon). I then rebooted the phone and went into ROM MANAGER and chose the first menu option FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY. I get the confirmation when I choose Droid X (2nd Init) - I get a successful message.

I then choose REBOOT INTO RECOVERY and it does reboot into the recovery mode with the Hat and Orange arrow. I choose install .zip form SD CARD....the screen goes blank (all but the hat) and I have left it sittling there 5-10 minutes) and nothing. I have to pull the battery out to get out of it.

Did I break something?

ROM MANAGER is 5.0.1.1 / Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0 - Latest Recovery: 5.0.2.0

--------------------[also]
Is there an app or a way to do screen captures or navigate the phone from my PC? I used to have a Windows phone and there was a tool from SAMSUNG for my Omnia that would allow me to view and control my phone from my PC (even type on the screen).

newmanx4
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Once you're in Clockwork use the Camera button to select. The Power button puts the screen to sleep.

Sent from my Black Iced X

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
newmanx4,

Well....not sure what happened to my last reply. But I think I have really done it now.

Thanks for the tip on the CAMERA BUTTON that worked. So now I have a big mess.

1) I booted into ClockworkMod and installed the following:
604-to-621-Images-Update.zip and
WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip

- I was hoping to see when I booted back up - under the ABOUT PHONE that it was again a DROID X (and not the MILESTONE X). This was not the case. Still said it was a MILESTONE X phone at .604 and radio -15p

2) I then installed the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip file via the ClockworkMod boot, and rebooted the phone...and success (or SO I THOUGHT). The ABOUT PHONE was now showing -15p radio and some .605 and that it was a DROID X.

I was happy, for all but about 1 minute. A message popped up which reads:

"The process android process.
media has stopped
unexpectedly. Please try
again"

I click the Force Close and within a minute - the message is back - just keeps looping the message.

I tried to go back into the ClockworkMod boot - and it boots normal every time.

I went back in and applied the ClockworkMod (Droid X [2nd init]) to the phone - said it was successful....and it will not boot into the CWM at all.

Have I broke'ted my phone ?? WAH!!!!

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
newmanx4,

What is the Black Iced X ???

Is that a Droid X running ICS?

Goose306
08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
newmanx4,

Well....not sure what happened to my last reply. But I think I have really done it now.

Thanks for the tip on the CAMERA BUTTON that worked. So now I have a big mess.

1) I booted into ClockworkMod and installed the following:
604-to-621-Images-Update.zip and
WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip

- I was hoping to see when I booted back up - under the ABOUT PHONE that it was again a DROID X (and not the MILESTONE X). This was not the case. Still said it was a MILESTONE X phone at .604 and radio -15p

2) I then installed the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip file via the ClockworkMod boot, and rebooted the phone...and success (or SO I THOUGHT). The ABOUT PHONE was now showing -15p radio and some .605 and that it was a DROID X.

I was happy, for all but about 1 minute. A message popped up which reads:

"The process android process.
media has stopped
unexpectedly. Please try
again"

I click the Force Close and within a minute - the message is back - just keeps looping the message.

I tried to go back into the ClockworkMod boot - and it boots normal every time.

I went back in and applied the ClockworkMod (Droid X [2nd init]) to the phone - said it was successful....and it will not boot into the CWM at all.

Have I broke'ted my phone ?? WAH!!!!

Deep breaths. The DX is nigh-impossible to brick, except by dragging down the road going 60 mph, and even that's pretty tough to do.

Did you do a data wipe when you flashed the ROM? If not that's probably the cause.

Re-download or open Droid 2 Bootstrap. Choose the Bootstrap Recovery option. Do the same process as last time to get the CWM flashed and installed (use ROM Manager to update after using Droid 2 Bootstrap, etc). Then try a reboot recovery option. See if that works.

If its still broken, go into stock recovery (Power off phone, then hold Home+Power on boot) and wipe data in there.

WARNING THIS WILL MAKE ALL YOUR DATA DISAPPEAR EXCEPT FOR YOUR ROOT/ROM. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL USER APPS/CONTACTS/ETC PRIOR.

This should stop that Force Close issue. I'm assuming that is related to you not wiping data.

If not resolved, get back into CWM. Wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. Install the 3 zips in this order: ROM.zip, 604 to 621.zip, then WIFI.zip. No wipes needed between them, flash all in the same session in CWM. Regardless you need to get back into CWM and flash the WIFI.zip. The ROM.zip will update the WIFI fix to ones that don't work, so the ROM.zip needs to go first, then the WIFI.zip. The 604 to 621.zip can be applied at any point with no wipes needed and only once per SBF (not between ROMs)

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
:excited: THANK YOU.....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU :excited:

i FOLLOWED YOUR STEPS ABOVE....AND I AM ALL WORKING!!!

I booted into the SYSTEM RECOVERY and cleared the data and the caches.....then I booted the hone, re-installed DROID 2 BOOTSTRAPPER and ROM MANGER.

Booted the phone into ROM MANAGER and installed the 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4C2DtuUD3hDTE0tVDFQRURDMTA))
"This Is How Moto Should Have Done It" Edition

and it told me INSTALLED COMPLETE.

I rebooted the phone and OUILA!!!! I had the RAZOR boot graphic and sound. The screen was fast as hell, and all the system stuff says .621 and -15p radio with ROOT access.

I am so happy. I was able to start installing all my apps and I am amazed at how FREAKIN FAST this ROM is. I agree, this is how VZ/MOTO should have sold this phone. It is like a brand new phone.

Now I get to play for a while....before I take on the challenge of getting ICS on the phone.

Wanna find the best and most stable ICS install where everything works. Everything that I have read say that many users lose their camer and GPS when going to ICS.

I wanna say thank you immensely. You are a true asset to this forum, and with newmanx4's help....I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER. :big smile:

Goose306
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Glad to hear you got it going. Always good to see another rooted user on .621

Regards to ICS, its based on the same kernel, so none of that messy SBF stuff is needed, you just download a ROM (and appropriate gapp [google apps]) package and flash them in CWM same as you have been doing. No wifi fix is needed, no images update, nothing special for .621, just the ROM and google apps. Easy peazy. And once you get it down using CWM you can do what's called nandroids (which are total backups of your system) to swap back and forth between stock and ICS, or ICS and MIUI, or really whatever ROM you are interested in as long as its based on GB. Takes about 5 minutes out of your life, no PC needed. Super easy once you get used to it.

In regards to ICS stability it will probably never be 100% stable. When I still had my DX a month and a half or so ago though they were doing alright. Camcorder is really the buggy part you mentioned, never is really 100% without using other apps and even then it can be kitschy. Normal cam tends to work as expected though, so does GPS and most other major components. Just my .02c worth. Camcorder is related to buggy HWA - ICS is based on a newer Linux kernel which is impossible for us to update to on the DX so features have to be downported which can cause issues.

newmanx4
08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
newmanx4,

What is the Black Iced X ???

Is that a Droid X running ICS?

Black Ice is an AOKP based ICS ROM. Has a blacked out theme. As Goose said, if you venture over to ICS you'll have to be willing to give up some functionality. Mainly the camcorder (although there are some workarounds depending on the ROM) and no working Netflix. As far as GPS, I've had zero issues with it on ICS ROMs.

Sent from my Black Iced X

bearhntr
08-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Goose/newmanx4,

Thank you both for your input. I will look around and do some more reading before I make that dive. Took me 4 days to get past this last hurdle...but armed with the new knowledge from the both of you, at least I am not in the complete dark.

I noticed one little quirk with this 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4C2DtuUD3hDTE0tVDFQRURDMTA)) ROM that I have installed on the phone...being that I put my phone into the HDMI dock at night, it does not go into the shaded clock/info mode that my old ROM did.

What could possibly be causing that? Any ideas? I looks like the phone stays on a rotated SLIDE-LOCK screen and at full brightness and the buttons remain lit. When I had the OTA .621, the display would rotate, dim to about 10% and it had what I call a docked screen. It also put a little icon in the icon bar at the top indicating that it was in the HDMI dock.

Also, I had been reading months ago that there is a way on a ROOTED phone ti disable the slide-lock and only use the pattern unlock (as many of the HTC phones have). Is this really possible now that I am rooted?

Much thanks.

bearhntr
08-15-2012, 12:45 PM
*** UPDATE ***

Okay. I found a way to get the ANDROID SCREEN and OPERATE THE PHONE from my computer. Me so excited, tested and working.

How to Remote View and Control Your Android Phone - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42491/how-to-remote-view-and-control-your-android-phone/)

Now just to get RID of the silly SLIDE LOCK screen when the screen goes off.

I have looked and looked and there is an app called 'NO LOCK' on the market - but it does not work correctly and has its own problems.

A good friend has the VZ DROID RAZR and his has a setting in the security to disable the slide-lock when the pattern lock is enabled.

Any advice?

serpa4
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I just rooted using magic MD5 CD boot method.
So, now that is done, what is different then factory image and root?
Do I now need to update or flash the latest OS? Use root keep and flash .621 again?
I'm on 4.5.621MB810
Droid X
BP_C_1.09.15P
Kernal
2.6.32.9-g1282440
Build 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
I think I have the latest everything, root, and antenna (15P) what ever that means. I don't see anything that says it's a MILESTONE X droid. How to I tell if it is MILESTONE X or regular DX? The build say DX and Droid X.
I don't do roms, so I assume that this is the best my DX will ever be?

GoCliffGo05
08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
If your service provider is Verizon and you did not SBF to .604 then it is not a milestone. Rooting doesn't actually change anything with the appearance of your phone. It allows you to have access to folders and files you previously could not touch. This is necessary for ROMing and certain apps. With Magic root method there is nothing left to do except Rom if you wish. If you are on .621 and flashed the .15 radio then you are up too date.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

Fry_Man
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Yea and just to add, if your on 621 now you have the 15 radio.

Also, In order to flash any other rom you will find have to SBF the phone back to 604, the new .15 radio (which did increase the reception quite abit) will stay no matter what rom you use

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Fry_Man
08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Goose/newmanx4,

Thank you both for your input. I will look around and do some more reading before I make that dive. Took me 4 days to get past this last hurdle...but armed with the new knowledge from the both of you, at least I am not in the complete dark.

I noticed one little quirk with this 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4C2DtuUD3hDTE0tVDFQRURDMTA)) ROM that I have installed on the phone...being that I put my phone into the HDMI dock at night, it does not go into the shaded clock/info mode that my old ROM did.

What could possibly be causing that? Any ideas? I looks like the phone stays on a rotated SLIDE-LOCK screen and at full brightness and the buttons remain lit. When I had the OTA .621, the display would rotate, dim to about 10% and it had what I call a docked screen. It also put a little icon in the icon bar at the top indicating that it was in the HDMI dock.

Also, I had been reading months ago that there is a way on a ROOTED phone ti disable the slide-lock and only use the pattern unlock (as many of the HTC phones have). Is this really possible now that I am rooted?

Much thanks.

I use wizards miui and the black screen / moving clock auto dim comes on after about 5 mins when it's in the dock, is that what you're talking about?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2