PDA

View Full Version : Which Android phone battery lasts the longest? We know!

JohnDroid
08-25-2010, 04:31 PM
http://img.droidforums.net/img/Android-Battery-life-chart.gif (http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-battery-test-reveals-droid-x-lasts-longest-amoled-handsets-trail)

Have you ever wondered which Android / Droid phone lasts the longest with the stock configuration and battery? I have, and since I've owned both the Droid, Droid 2 and Droid X, I had my own beliefs based on my own experiences.

Laptop Magazine however took the job on and did it in a much more scientific test and the results are a bit surprising.

Who emerged on top? The Droid X (http://www.droidxforums.com), which is quite surprising since it has the largest screen of all devices. Generally speaking, driving the display and lighting up that big screen is usually quite a power drain. Motorola however, must have done some magic to make the process more efficient.

Who rated 2nd? Well, you can check out the chart above or visit Laptop Magazine at the following link for the full article: Android Battery Test Reveals Droid X Lasts Longest, AMOLED Handsets Trail (http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-battery-test-reveals-droid-x-lasts-longest-amoled-handsets-trail)

smalltowngirl13
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Awesome article & results!

Sent from my Droid X

Abe21599
08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
yes very cool. saw that earlier

kpiskin
08-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I just got my 1930MAH extended battery in the mail today. Can't wait to see how much longer the DX lasts now.

DebianDog
08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
OMG and I was whining about the battery life on the X. I can't imagine worse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

aohus
08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
I got 17 hours with moderate use!

- Running leaked froyo 2.2
- Stock battery
- 3G enabled all day, bluetooth/wifi disabled

http://i.imgur.com/ERsFt.jpg

Jeremy102579
08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
my extended battery is 1880 MAH. Lasts much longer then the stock one, although I think Beautiful Weather Background kills the battery, so I dont use it anymore.

droidlicous
08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
my extended battery is 1880 MAH. Lasts much longer then the stock one, although I think Beautiful Weather Background kills the battery, so I dont use it anymore.I just got my 1880 battery this week and I freaking love it! First full charge I got over 18 hrs and still had 50% battery left. I like that BW Live wallpaper too, but I think not only is it a battery hog but also a resource hog. God concept just not for a phone, I might give it a try again with the new battery though! I will keep you posted!! I'm a pretty heavy user after I am out of work, unless I got class than again I can be than too lol.

sierra
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Ummm.. .I would have to disagree. My DX is running an extended battery, no gps, no wifi, no facebook, and it was down to 15% today after 1.5 hours of surfing in a total of 9 hours.... .all the rest of the time in its case.

Love the phone, but I'm not impressed.

Mr X
08-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Wow... and here I was thinking ~10-12 hours on my X was bad.

Phatkat66
08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
you guys are nuts 12 hours of moderate use with the X is awesome. Coming from a droid1 where I had two batterys (spare in my pocket for emergency use) It would die within 7 - 10 hours even without use. I remember waking up and seeing my phone dead just cuz it wasnt plugged in. With my X now I went 23 hours with minimal use and was still going. I was just in shock, I love the X I love the battery. There's always little things you can do to preserve your battery that helps so much in the long run. 10 - 15 minutes extra can make a huge difference between calling someone to pick you up and walking 10 miles back home on your own LOL

bozidar0
08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Wow... and here I was thinking ~10-12 hours on my X was bad.

Agreed, but I guess the test they ran was intensive, and like 10 hours of HEAVY USE...

crkkes
08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Well done. Nice post

didiwags
08-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Good post!!!! Hopefully this informs ppl that smartphones are battery hogs and you do not get super long battery length and that out of the top android phones the X is the best!!!

e3zkiel
08-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Go Droid X FTW! Woooo!

southernbuck
08-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Great thread...I'll be anxious to know how much better the extended battery and 2.2 help.

newdroidx
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah I generally get about 7.5 hrs. And thats with HEAVY use of apps, internet browsing calls, txts, etc.

05evors
08-30-2010, 09:55 PM
After learning about turning 'background data' off I went from 6-12hrs to 24 hrs!

I do not care about push mail I just activate sync w/ power widget and pull it in a few times a day to stay current w/mail.

I used GPS 'ON' for 1 hour total today and watched you tube 5 times, D-loaded 2 apps and surfed 10 times.

on 19th hour as I type and 20% battery STILL. It will hit 24hrs then I'll plug it back in at midnight (last time I had it plugged in was midnight last night)
Settings>>>Data Manager>>>Data Delivery>>>Background Data 'UNCHECK' while not using data.

05evors
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Also do THE FOLLOWING: Settings>>>Battery Manager>>>Battery Profile Options>>>Data Timeout (15 minutes on both options)

You will go from 8-12 to 12-24 hours battery depending on usage.

Got this from another thread either on Androidforums or here (cannot remember) just thought I'd repost to make solutions more visible

I also went into Applications>>>Running Services>>>Long Press Bloatware (STOP) SKYPE, NEWS WIDGET. After a power cycle/battery pull you HAVE to go back in and STOP services in running services.

I expect w/ heavy usage I will still get 8-12 hours instead of 4-6 like when I first got it.

DroidXology
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello fellow Droidlings!,

I was wondering if this chart means ACTUAL TALK TIME? or STAND-BY-TIME?..
I had my DroidX for about a week now and so far I have had the DISPLEASURE of having to charge it at least once within the 24hour period. (Is this normal for DroidX and it's battery? or there is something I'm not doing right?)..

Please advice...

-DroidXology:motdroidvert:

Cigar_Junkie
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Coming from blackberry but I think any smart phone will require a charge each night.I have been topping off my x in the mornings but it seems the more I use it the better the battery life becomes. I am still happy what does that tell ya.

Hellbent
09-11-2010, 01:50 AM
It is a different world with these processors and screens, etc. I still have my first blackberry from way back. An 857/957. I forget which. Think about it, mobile email from multiple services and like 6 DAYS of battery life. Ok, no wifi, no browsing, no phone. But 6 days of constant email use was still pretty staggering!

psychotic_penguin
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
With the extended I can go easily through the day with heavy use and still be around 70%, rooted w/2.2 and Juice Defender installed. With my D1 I also had 2 extra batteries and was wheezing by the end of the day on the third one.

art imadude
10-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm a relatively new user of the Droid X...In the beginning, I had some bad experiences of running out of battery. Once when on a 1 hour drive, I mounted the car mount and used gps to check out the navigation system. By the time I reached the destination, the battery was dead! The Car charger was a non-oem one, so I suspected of not providing enough amps to run the DX and charge the battery, so I bought one from Verizon...That seemed to help. I used a moving wallpaper, so I quit using that. I bought App Killer and kill apps regularly. I bought the extended battery, but could not tell the difference between battery life of the 1200mah (I think) and the 1500mah. I used one while the other was charging. Now I use one battery and charge it overnight in the multi-media dock. Whenever I drive, I plunk the DX onto the car mount, just to check out the nav system. Battery does not drain, but will charge to 100% if in mount over an hour or so. Depending on use, I'll be at 50 to 70 % after a days use. Browsing, emailing, some games...no gps battery only. If I have 50% or less, I'll charge the DX if there's a charer available. So, all in all now I'm satisfied with battery life.

B360155
10-23-2010, 08:53 AM
With the extended I can go easily through the day with heavy use and still be around 70%, rooted w/2.2 and Juice Defender installed. With my D1 I also had 2 extra batteries and was wheezing by the end of the day on the third one.

Do you think Juice Defender actually helps? I was running it for awhile and the widget was saying I was getting about 1.7% more life than I would without it. So...just for the heck of it, I uninstalled it...and it seems to me like I'm getting pretty much the same amount of battery life without it.

SingingSabre
10-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Do you think Juice Defender actually helps? I was running it for awhile and the widget was saying I was getting about 1.7% more life than I would without it. So...just for the heck of it, I uninstalled it...and it seems to me like I'm getting pretty much the same amount of battery life without it.

Right there with you. Juice Defender really didn't do much for me. In the end, I'd rather just plug my phone in than keep messing with data settings.