PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be in possession of project phone - Questions

bridgford
07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I just purchased a Droid X from ebay and should receive it later this week. Based on the photos in the ebay listing, it apparently turns on and goes to a screen stating "Bootloader 30.04, battery ok, ok to program, connect USB."

In all of my searches, I gather that I should be loading at least SB .340 because of Bootloader 30.04, but most of those discussions are from February to April. Now that it is nearly August, what is the best build to use. I don't have any intentions of rooting the phone, just want a serviceable unit to use in place of my original Motorola Droid, which is a little hamstrung with current programs and their updates.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

DirtyDroid
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
If it is stuck in boot loader it could be a few things, ..(hopefully not hardware related) ...but because you don't know the system version...I would contact the seller and ask what the last know version was. Most likely it will not be the .340 sbf. That was many moons ago...I would say find that out if you can, then post back and we can get you to the right sbf

Oh..and welcome :D

tap'd from the Gnex

Goose306
07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Or you can also find out when it went into that Bootloader mode and that could tell us possibly what update it was on (as a guesstimate) if the seller doesn't know.

Also, ask him if any other message on the bootloader screen, like "MEM_MAP BLANK" or "Err:" with a bunch of numbers/letters after it. That might help us as well.

If all else fails and you have absolutely no intention to root the latest OTA (.621) will work just fine, and its the latest OTA. It will also avoid any possible incompatibilities as you can basically always upgrade with an SBF (assuming the bootloader version is the same, which it is, .621 uses the 30.04 bootloader). Keep in mind though if you are ever thinking of rooting in the future it would be better to go to a different system version (like .605) also if you are planning on using a live disc in linux to flash it (like the 1KDS discs) keep in mind there isn't a .621 disc. If you want that it has to be done using RSD Lite.

bridgford
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I asked the seller "Would you know the history of the phone, specifically, about when was the last "over the air" update it received, was it rooted, etc. I am just trying to get things lined up as to what I will need."; and the reply was: "It was my persanal phone. this phone like 1 ear old. And i never do nothing with. It stop workin like 3weeks ago."

The listing had 10 or 12 photos including two of the screen which showed "Bootloader 30.04, battery ok, ok to program, connect USB data cable."

So, until I get it Wednesday or Thursday, that is what I have to go with.

I have downloaded, and installed, RSD Lite 5.8 on a 32 bit Vista laptop as well as the Motorola drivers. Also, where is the best source for the .621 sbf file?

Thanks again,

Dale

BHuber09
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Goose306
07-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I asked the seller "Would you know the history of the phone, specifically, about when was the last "over the air" update it received, was it rooted, etc. I am just trying to get things lined up as to what I will need."; and the reply was: "It was my persanal phone. this phone like 1 ear old. And i never do nothing with. It stop workin like 3weeks ago."

The listing had 10 or 12 photos including two of the screen which showed "Bootloader 30.04, battery ok, ok to program, connect USB data cable."

So, until I get it Wednesday or Thursday, that is what I have to go with.

I have downloaded, and installed, RSD Lite 5.8 on a 32 bit Vista laptop as well as the Motorola drivers. Also, where is the best source for the .621 sbf file?

Thanks again,

Dale

Methinks it bricked when trying to install the .621 update if it did ~3 weeks ago, unless he can report another OTA he accepted around ~5-6 months ago. That's when .621 actually went live, but its been pretty common to hear about these bricking while its attempting to install the OTA.

I would personally, again recommend the .605 SBF first, if you are ok giving it a try. There is really no reason to go to .621 unless forced to do, if you enjoy leaving the option to root later into it. It is possible to root .621 but its a big hack-around and TBH just not worth the trouble if given the choice to stay on .605 or .621. .621 is also unrevertable, if you stay on .605 (or are able to SBf that) then you can still go down to Froyo if you so desired, otherwise you will be *stuck* on the .621 system.

Anyways - Here's a link to SBF files that are needed (its actually the .602 SBF and the .621 SBF, .602 for all intents and purposes is the same as .605) along with RSD Lite. If you have all the drivers and know how to use RSD Lite, great, otherwise he's a guide hook-up, has driver downloads, etc.

Here's the SBF files:

LINK! (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17934-602-sbf/)

Here's the guide:

LINK! (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/331-guide-flashing-droid-x-sbf/)

bridgford
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I appreciate the advice that all of you have given. In further reading, I notice that there is a .15p radio discussed (Goose306 sig). I assume that this refers to the actual phone function? I work in a basement (ok, atrium level) in the center far from windows. Would that .15p provide me the best signal and possibility of using my phone without having to go to the window, and if so which SBF provides the .15p?

Goose, you mentioned that .621 is "unrevertable". It is impossible to revert, you'll lose all data if you revert, or its an easy 856 step process? Just curious.

Oh, it landed at my house today. Now to wait for the battery (new for $6.00, yeah right) and charger.

Thanks again,

Dale

Goose306
07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
I appreciate the advice that all of you have given. In further reading, I notice that there is a .15p radio discussed (Goose306 sig). I assume that this refers to the actual phone function? I work in a basement (ok, atrium level) in the center far from windows. Would that .15p provide me the best signal and possibility of using my phone without having to go to the window, and if so which SBF provides the .15p?

Goose, you mentioned that .621 is "unrevertable". It is impossible to revert, you'll lose all data if you revert, or its an easy 856 step process? Just curious.

Oh, it landed at my house today. Now to wait for the battery (new for $6.00, yeah right) and charger.

Thanks again,

Dale

The .621 update is unrevertable, period. This means when you go to it you can't downgrade back to a normal Droid X version (this includes any prior Gingerbread or Froyo SBFs) basically, you are stuck. You can wipe data if you want, but that's only if you do a factory reset. The only OTHER system version that works on the is the .604 update, which isn't for the Droid X (its for the Milestone X, which is a generic, non-Verizon Droid X). It has to be flashed a special way (not using RSD Lite) to make sure the radio (3G/Phone/etc) work on Verizon's network. Its a pain, and its the way we achieve root if you are on .621.

Because of this, I recommend .605. The only thing really gained with .621 is a better radio (cell performance, mostly seen in no longer dropping 3G as randomly and slightly stronger signal in fringe areas), everything else is the same, except for the fact its unrevertable, as mentioned. So if for some reason you don't like it or the phone doesn't like it, your stuck. You can always return it to stock but you can never go backwards. There is a way to get the .15p radio while staying on .605 (so to have your cake and it eat it too) to do that though is going to require rooting. Its not too hard really (just have to learn how to use a few basic PC applications and do an SBF back to Froyo). But it is going to take more time than just a simple SBF.

Personally, I would just get the phone and try SBFing first the .605 just to make sure there isn't a hardware issue. If you get another error after then then troubleshoot from there. But .605 would be a good baseline just to check. If its on .621 already it will just fail (you will get a bootloader message, "MEM_MAP BLANK" at the end of the SBF) this would generally indicate its already on .621 (thats the message you get if you try to revert) then you could just SBF to .621 and call it good or go to .604 via the special method if you intend to root.

tl;dr - .621 SBF provides .15p radio. 15p radio generally tends to be better than earlier radios. 621 comes with extra baggage. Being as the 15p radio is not the biggest difference as well with the extra baggage I would avoid trying .621 off the bat as if it takes you will be stuck with no choices in the future. If .605 fails and indicates a "MEM_MAP BLANK" message, then just flash .621, as the phone is already on it. You can always flash up to .621 sometime in the future if you feel so inclined, or get the radio seperate from the update (but it takes some rooting work)

If you ever feel so inclined you can glance at the Important Info for .621 link in the sig along with 15p radio link, both may help a bit.

bridgford
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you for the detail on the pros and cons of the available options. I think I am going to go with the .621 SBF, only because I really don't have time to play. Knowing me, if I go the .605 route, I will want to be continuously dinking around with the phone and I don't have time in my day right now. Unfortunately, practicality wins in this situation. Plus in theory, I will get the better radio, which I need since I work in an office with diddly for cell reception.

bridgford
08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Good Morning,

Surprisingly, I have more questions. Using RSD Lite 5.7, my Motorola USB cord, and the .621 SBF, I have flashed my phone. It goes through the process, RSD Lite reports Success and reboots the phone. While still connected to the PC, a green light turns on to the left of the ear speaker (charge indicator?) and the phone goes to the "Bootloader 30.04, battery ok, ok to program, connect USB" screen. Any ideas on how to get it the rest of the way.

All indications from RSD Lite were positive and success related.

I am officially confused.

Thanks,

Dale

DirtyDroid
08-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Did you do a factory reset after? Home and power then both volume buttons> scroll to wipe data with the volume button> select it with power button> then do the same for cache then reboot...try that first

tap'd from the Gnex

bridgford
08-06-2012, 09:43 AM
When I reinstalled the battery, it went right back to the bootloader 30.04 screen, as quoted in my previous post. It seems to be the recurring pattern with this phone.

In prior attempts, I have gotten the red Motorola symbol, but it never got past that screen.

newmanx4
08-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Try holding home and power while you put the battery in. If you get the Moto logo keep holding them another 3-5 seconds. Phone should go to a screen with an android and a ! In a triangle. Then both volume buttons pressed simultaneously opens stock recovery as stated above.

Sent from my Black Iced X

bridgford
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
So, taking the battery out for 10 to 15 minutes and puttting it back in launches the screen: "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable".

Then Power and Home button simultaneously gives the red Motorola M where it seems to stay. Non-responsive except for battery pull at this point.

Any ideas?

newmanx4
08-06-2012, 01:24 PM
If you're holding power and home continuously after the logo and nothing's happening you might need to try another SBF maybe with an older version of RSD Lite. I use 5.4.4 I believe it is and its never given me any trouble.

Sent from my Black Iced X

bridgford
08-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Any chance the battery could be an issue. I bought a battery off of an Amazon vendor and it was swollen. You can spin it like a top on a flat surface. They are sending me a new one, they say.

I get the same result with RSD Lite 4.8 and 5.7, two different USB cables, two different ports. That all seems to go smoothly and successfully and after the process is through, the phone reboots and goes to "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable". This same screen is what was shown on the ebay listing.

I thought it would be easier than this...

Goose306
08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Any chance the battery could be an issue. I bought a battery off of an Amazon vendor and it was swollen. You can spin it like a top on a flat surface. They are sending me a new one, they say.

I get the same result with RSD Lite 4.8 and 5.7, two different USB cables, two different ports. That all seems to go smoothly and successfully and after the process is through, the phone reboots and goes to "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable". This same screen is what was shown on the ebay listing.

I thought it would be easier than this...

Well without a battery that is charged the phone won't SBF. I won't throw that out as an issue (it could be causing voltage spikes as its bloated which could be causing issues) but the phone can't charge in bootloader mode (the green LED indicates it is ready to program and the USB is connected, not charging). But it would be a rarity for the battery to be causing the issues.

For RSD Lite I have always used 5.4.4. when I used it as above, so I would suggest downgrading to that, and do a clean install of it all, including the Moto USB drivers just to make sure. And of course make sure the USB is being plugged directly into a home USB port, and not a 3.0 port (needs to not be on a hub and needs to be a 2.0 port). Prior to starting the SBF, get it hooked up in bootloader, go to your Control Panel (on PC) -> System -> Hardware and make sure you don't have any missing drivers (Yellow exclamation points) related to the USB ports, or Motorola interfaces. RSD Lite can show a success even if its not (it really is a very finicky program)

Failing that I would attempt an SBF to .605 using the 1KDS ISOs. If part of the SBF took to .621 there is a chance it might not be able to SBF using one of these discs (you may get an error that says "MEM_MAP Blank" in bootloader) but at least then we can rule out whether or not the phone is taking the SBF (hardware issues on the phone itself). I know you wanted to go to .621 but if we can even get it booting in .605 then you could always OTA to .621 if you really wanted it.

bridgford
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
First, thanks for the replies. I did try 605 and got the error mem_map things others have commented on, so it is taking something. I am recharging the battery and going to try the Linux route. Which brings me to the question: is the command line open in a DOS-type window. I'm using Ubuntu 12. Other files are on a flash drive.Thanks

Goose306
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
First, thanks for the replies. I did try 605 and got the error mem_map things others have commented on, so it is taking something. I am recharging the battery and going to try the Linux route. Which brings me to the question: is the command line open in a DOS-type window. I'm using Ubuntu 12. Other files are on a flash drive.Thanks

Pretty much yes they are DOS-type. If you are on Ubuntu 12 I assume you haven't reverted to Gnome just pull up a terminal window. Make sure you download sbf_flash command and the .621 SBF (as you already have) since there is no linux ISO for it. Run the commands as needed. If you need help running the SBF commands and terminal commands I can provide guidance as needed.

sbf_flash util:

https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sbf_flash

(https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sbf_flash)I won't link it directly as we have certain restrictions here for that type of stuff, but its the top hit on the above link if you don't have it already.

bridgford
08-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Goose,Thanks for all of your help and explanations. I've got the sbf_flash utility. My current main question is how do you open the terminal window. I just booted from the cd and didn't see anything "terminal-like".

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Now for the battery to finish recharging.

bridgford
08-07-2012, 09:21 AM
In madershcramm's tutorial, he has these two steps.

Type [chmod +x sbf_flash] (ignore brackets) – this command makes sbf_flash an executable. If you've been rooting your phone with ADB Tools you've seen this command before.
Type [sudo ./sbf_flash [name of sbf file, starts with 'VRZ_']] (once again ignore the brackets) – this command runs the sbf_flash file. 'sudo' is the linux-y way of 'running as administrator' in Windows.

The first completes ok, but on the second, regarding the sbf_flash, "command not found". Booting from the Ubuntu 12.x CD. The current directory has sbf_flash and the sbf file.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dale

bridgford
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
OK, I copied the .sbf file (621) and the sbf_flash utility to Ubuntu's Home directory and everything ran fine from there. End result is the phone still returns me to the "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable" when I power it on or do the Home and Power button chord. Power button and Camera button gives me the perpetual Motorola logo (red). Is there only one 621 sbf file in the wild with the obscenely long file name or is there another one?

If I go with the Milestone 604 thing, will I be able to activate the phone on Verizon, as it is an ebay purchase?

Thanks,

Dale

Goose306
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
OK, I copied the .sbf file (621) and the sbf_flash utility to Ubuntu's Home directory and everything ran fine from there. End result is the phone still returns me to the "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable" when I power it on or do the Home and Power button chord. Power button and Camera button gives me the perpetual Motorola logo (red). Is there only one 621 sbf file in the wild with the obscenely long file name or is there another one?

If I go with the Milestone 604 thing, will I be able to activate the phone on Verizon, as it is an ebay purchase?

Thanks,

Dale

Yeah, only one 621 file. You can shorten the name though, fwiw. As far as the 604 sbf it should cause no issues with Verizon just make sure you don't flash it in RSD lite (that flashes the radio to a non-Verizon radio which IS a bad thing)

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

bridgford
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Well, I did the .604 Milestone X ezSBF (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html) have the same net result; "Bootloader 30.04; Battery OK; OK to Program; Connect USB Data Cable". I am thinking that this just isn't going to happen. Any ideas? Am I missing something fundamentally simple?

bridgford
08-08-2012, 07:01 AM
There are some dings on the casing of the phone. Think that this problem may be the result of a loose connection inside the phone?

bridgford
08-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Well, thanks to everyone for the help, but I am giving up. From ebay it came, to ebay it goes. Time for someone else to experiment with it.

Hopefully I will run across a functional one somewhere so I can retire my original droid to logging my jogs.

Thanks,

Dale

Goose306
08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, thanks to everyone for the help, but I am giving up. From ebay it came, to ebay it goes. Time for someone else to experiment with it.

Hopefully I will run across a functional one somewhere so I can retire my original droid to logging my jogs.

Thanks,

Dale

Are you using it as a phone too or just a device for logging jogs/MP3 player/etc?

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

bridgford
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Right now, the A855 is my only cellphone. I have 6 months of jogging behind me and I use MyTracks for the data collection. Data is a high motivator for me to jog. I don't like headphones and prefer to jog in silence, that way I can hear what is about to take me out :) .

I do appreciate all of your help, and everyone else's with this, by the way.

Thanks,

Dale