PDA

View Full Version : Tab?! What to get?

Wrapped
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm thinking about getting a tablet. I do want it for reading books, but I'd definitely want want to run android on it, have apps, and such. Basically I want an android tablet, supposedly mainly used for reading. I say supposedly, but you never know... I was looking and a Kindle Fire, which is rootable and flashable. But it's 199. I can get a Nexus 7 for that. And what about the nook?

Tell me things, good people! =D

gbrinn
07-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Nexus7

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

maybish
07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
All 3 of those are pretty great choice. G has the 7 so he can tell you what its like. I have the kindle fire. Its nice and comfortable to hold. Only thing I don't like is there's no SD slot. It's frustrating my kids download a ton of games and then it's out of gs so quick I have to start deleting stuff. I've heard good things about nook.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jwalz
07-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Nexus7

This ^^^ latest and greatest

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DirtyDroid
07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Played with my n7 last night, and love it
Pure Google , can't beat it...no SD slot...but an otg cable takes care of that.....plus the 25$ play store credit is nice too
tap'd from the Gnex

BHuber09
07-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Played with my n7 last night, and love it
Pure Google , can't beat it...no SD slot...but an otg cable takes care of that.....plus the 25$ play store credit is nice too
tap'd from the Gnex

This is what I was going to say.

Cost 199 benefits +25 play credit = 174 tablet. And the fact its a nexus make its pure awesome sauce

I'll be buying one soon well eventually

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Goose306
07-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Nexus 7 is sweet. Best bang for the buck.

Sent from my KRAKD Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Mike7143
07-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm back from the dead! I just bought a used Toshiba Thrive. It was an overlooked tablet in it's time I think, but I love it even so. Is it kinda big, sure, but it's got its removable battery, full size HDMI, SD slot, and USB port, is supposedly getting ICS in the fall, and at $200, not a bad deal considering I can use a USB mouse and keyboard in its dock, HDMI out to a monitor, and walla - it's a computer! Just thought I'd chime in since I just bought it!

Wrapped
07-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Aww man, they're sold out of the 16 gb nexus. Now I'm facing the decision of having a 8 gig before Friday or wait indefinitely for the 16...
I doubt I'd need 16 though. Wouldn't have music on it, doubt I'd do movies. Apps and books mainly. The 8 gigs on my phone is mainly used up by pics...

gbrinn
07-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Root the Nexus7 and you can use a USB cable to add on storage. Not elegant, but cheaper by the GB than an SD card.

Wrapped
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Root the Nexus7 and you can use a USB cable to add on storage. Not elegant, but cheaper by the GB than an SD card.

Oh yeah? Like a usb hard drive? Or a SD card reader?

gbrinn
07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Or thumb drive.

DirtyDroid
07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
That^^^ but i m pretty sure the 8gb sold out last week as well...and was back up in a few days...

tap'd from the Gnex

Wrapped
07-26-2012, 12:31 AM

Alright, got the nexus 7! Got any recommendations where to start with getting this cowboy rooted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Droid X Forums

DirtyDroid
07-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Alright, got the nexus 7! Got any recommendations where to start with getting this cowboy rooted?

Congrats! Start here...and don't forget to register

http://www.nexustablets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=486

tap'd from the Gnex

jeems
07-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Good choice. Loving mine so far. Just waiting on my $1 OTG USB cable from china so I can add external storage. I don't really need it at this point, but want to make sure it works:)

Wrapped
07-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Rooted it immediately after finding out I'd have to do a complete wipe when I unlocked the boot loader.

So what's the purpose of an aosp ROM? Isn't it already aosp?
Any ROM that beats stock so far? I miss some minor tweaks, like battery percentage icon. But so far the urge to flash hasn't set in.