PDA

View Full Version : A way to edit app names?

GoCliffGo05
07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Just wondering if there was a way to rename apps on your screens? Apps with longer names cut off in the middle of a word and its just a visual annoyance for me. Is there anyway you can do something similar to a pc like editing shortcut names to whatever you want?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Not that I know of unless you wanna do some (I mean quite a but) work haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05
07-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I have time to kill often... explain?

Nemo aeternamn
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
To really rename the actual app... that involves involves taking apart the app... editing the androidmanifest.xml file inside and native a few other files inside the apk... I believe...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid X Forums

GoCliffGo05
07-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Any idea if there is a tutorial for this somewhere? Ill give it a shot just to see if i can do it.

BHuber09
07-05-2012, 12:50 AM
To really rename the actual app... that involves involves taking apart the app... editing the androidmanifest.xml file inside and native a few other files inside the apk... I believe...

Correct..
But I was thinking we could just take everything apart throw it in eclipse and create a new app (bring the same one) but change the name to whatever.apk and compiling it.

Either way it should work. I know yours will but in the androidmanifest.XML there tends to be thousands of lines haha

Nemo aeternamn
07-05-2012, 12:50 AM
a tutorial on changing the name? Not that I'm aware of... but that's not to say they're isn't one out there

Nemo aeternamn
07-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Either way it should work. I know yours will but in the androidmanifest.XML there tends to be thousands of lines haha

Ya...... but if you don't change it in the android manifest... I don't think it'll change the name when you install it

BHuber09
07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Ya...... but if you don't change it in the android manifest... I don't think it'll change the name when you install it

But throwing it in eclipse will create a new androidmanifest right? I am just guessing, I've only used eclipse to do some .9.png work and just some basic messing around.

GoCliffGo05
07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Haha this thread has really gotten away from me in terms of knowing what the heck you are talking about. Thanks for the input but I guess its best to just leave well enough alone.

fezrock
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Try Desktop Visualizer. Much simpler. You can even change your icons if you wish.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05
07-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I will look into that. Thank you.

fezrock
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Love DV. I need to break it out again.

BHuber09
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Love DV. I need to break it out again.

Oh my gosh... Nemo.A and I got wayyyy to into that one. I even have that app and I'm using it!! Wow good catch Fez

GoCliffGo05
07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh my gosh... Nemo.A and I got wayyyy to into that one. I even have that app and I'm using it!! Wow good catch Fez

Haha.. thanks for your input though.

fezrock
07-05-2012, 06:14 PM

;)

smalltowngirl13
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
A couple more (simple) options :)...Go Launcher EX allows you to rename apps on your home screen or hide app labels all together & the app FolderOrganizer in the Play Store will allow you to rename apps and then add them as a FolderOrganizer shortcut... good luck :)...

GoCliffGo05
07-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Desktop visualizer is awesome... good call. It says "app is installed on sd dv may change icon." What's that about? Otherwise it's perfect.

Ok new question, any apps that allow you to change the layout of the screen? I've noticed the applications are a little far apart with too much space in between.

fezrock
07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Desktop visualizer is awesome... good call. It says "app is installed on sd dv may change icon." What's that about? Otherwise it's perfect.<br />
<br />
Ok new question, any apps that allow you to change the layout of the screen? I've noticed the applications are a little far apart with too much space in between.<br />
<br />

No clue on the DV message. For layout try Apex launcher or ADW launcher or something like that. You can customize how many apps per column and row. And so much more.

GoCliffGo05
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I keep hearing about all these people switching launchers. That doesn't make sense to me.... do I have to download something or is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

fezrock
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
You can get 3rd party launchers from the Play Store. After one installs, the next time you go to your home screen you are asked which launcher to use. Change the default launcher through settings/apps.

GoCliffGo05
07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok thanks. Any suggestions as to which is the best?

sd_shadow
07-13-2012, 01:06 AM
that's like what's your favorite color?
go launcher, adw, nova, launcher pro, apex...
or rather best color

Sent from my DROID2 using Droid X Forums

GoCliffGo05
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
that's like what's your favorite color?
go launcher, adw, nova, launcher pro, apex...
or rather best color

Download go ex... hated it... uninstalled all within 10 minutes... so on to the next I guess.... and I was asking opinions on what people thought was the best, not a factual response.

sd_shadow
07-13-2012, 01:19 AM
can over 10 million downloads be wrong?

GoCliffGo05
07-13-2012, 01:22 AM
I see your point, it was an opinion question... like to get peoples opinions that's all... not a big deal.

sd_shadow
07-13-2012, 01:32 AM
go, pro, and adw are top three for gb
all have lots of options, like backing up settings, themes...
nova and apex are for ics

GoCliffGo05
07-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok, thank you.