PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a upgrade wanted. Times running out!

silver04v
06-18-2012, 05:06 PM
As we know the last day to upgrade and keep our unlimited data is closing in quick. I'm assuming the galaxy S3 can still be pre-ordered and keep unlimited data, last I knew? My only thing is although it seems like its going to be the next big thing, I'm unsure I want to pre order without using it a little first. Or at least seeing some reviews on different aspects of it from us users.
So I have two choices, go with it, or go get a galaxy nexus. Is the S3 really more phone over the Nexus? Is it worth it to get the s3 over the nexus? For those with the nexus, is it a good upgrade from the dx to stay with for another 2 years? Is the radio ok now? I heard it was lousy at first iirc? What about anything else with it? Battery, camera, etc?
Will there definitely be tons of development for the S3? This will be my first Samsung and I just don't know how they've done in the past.

fezrock
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
The GNex is only $149 now I read somewhere. The radio and battery are both fine if you run a good rom. Actually there is a flashable radio that solves both issues well without leaving stock.

I love mine, and don't regret it at all!

And development is ridiculous. Constant rom and kernel updates. Can't keep up with the devs lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

silver04v
06-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Ya, I'm thinking about it. Can't decide. No other opinions?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

DirtyDroid
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
yeah, Fez pretty much said it there...Love the G'nex...there isn't enough time in my day to keep up with the updates haha, As for the radio..I have no problems with mine, not as good of a strength or signal as the X, but still no problems connecting to anything data or call....and with a case on it..takes care of that "plasticy" feeling...But im happy with mine, but Fez pretty much summed it up nice lol...Good luck silver..

silver04v
06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I just want to make an upgrade worth it. I mean, just Ics isn't enough. My dx has isc. Damn options!

mhans311
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Pre order the SGS3. If you really end up not liking it you can sell it and buy a nexus and still have some money left over. At least that's what I would do.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

DirtyDroid
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Pre order the SGS3. If you really end up not liking it you can sell it and buy a nexus and still have some money left over. At least that's what I would do.

Good advice...or the maxx ..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

silver04v
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Ok. Say I don't end up liking the s3. Can I trade it in for a nexus before 2 weeks is up? Not sure if that works with pre orders? Anyone know?

silver04v
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Is the s3 really going to be worth it over the nexus? I haven't really seen anything confirming some good development yet. I know its early.Rooting it and going stock seems a little different than nexus from what I've seen. I could be wrong. Is it definitely going to be unlocked the same as the nexus with no chance of verizon screwing that up? It seems like its a bit better over nexus but only with hardware just barely being better from my research? Lmk what you think about all this. The nexus is drawing me in cause it proven and seems it will see everything the s3 sees for software. I'm just really torn with so many different opinions. Hoping one will favor over the other.

SupraRZ95
06-24-2012, 10:02 PM
S3 won't even be a quad core. Only gsm s3's like from overseas will have quad core. We will get a snap dragon core phone...

Fart Blood

Goose306
06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
S3 won't even be a quad core. Only gsm s3's like from overseas will have quad core. We will get a snap dragon core phone...

Fart Blood

Quad core is overkill currently, much rather have the double RAM anyways.

Sent from my Wiz Wiz MIUI!

SupraRZ95
06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Tis over kill indeed but the masses don't really know that the U.S. version is not quad core.

Fart Blood

mhans311
06-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Tis over kill indeed but the masses don't really know that the U.S. version is not quad core.

Fart Blood

I think the masses don't really care about cores. Besides, the snapdragon S4 processor in the GS3 has proven to perform just as good if not better than the quad core.

As far as development for the GS3, there will be PLENTY. If you want to go stock, there will be a way if you are willing to root and rom.

droiddudex2
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I too am about to upgrade. In the gnex, I see plenty of development, stock ics, and a killer design. In the sgs3 I see great battery life and stability. I might just get the sgs3 and flash an ics rom.. unless the gnex battery life is pretty good

Goose306
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I too am about to upgrade. In the gnex, I see plenty of development, stock ics, and a killer design. In the sgs3 I see great battery life and stability. I might just get the sgs3 and flash an ics rom.. unless the gnex battery life is pretty good

If the price difference between a GNex and GSIII isn't a factor to you get the GSIII. Better processor, less battery juicing since the LTE radio is part of the chip, twice the RAM, bigger battery, better radios (supposedly, still don't have the Verizon review yet) besides possibility of development and the fact the GNex comes stock with AOSP then it beats it everywhere else. (Unless you have some sort of hatred for hard keys, then I guess chalk another to the GNex) - Personally, even though its a step backwards for Android, I like having a physical hardkey. I like AOSP, but the international/unlocked already has CM9 officials and AOKP, and AOKP has pledged it will be coming to the Verizon GSIII via stevespears - he's a part of the AOKP team and is getting a Verizon GNex. I'm sure there will be no lack of development for it.

gbrinn
06-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Well, I just got the notification that I was awarded Nursing Scholars loans, so the GS3 might be in the offing...

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

silver04v
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Just pre ordered the s3. Got my data and awaiting the new device. Hope its worth it. Went with the white 32gb

B3N
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
i pre ordered the sgs3 but, i also was wondering if the gnex was the better deal.
will the sgs3 see as much action as the gnex.
i see at&t, t-moble,and sprint r rooted . what about verizon.
what about that whole unlocked bootloader thing.
a lil stuck.

silver04v
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
i pre ordered the sgs3 but, i also was wondering if the gnex was the better deal.
will the sgs3 see as much action as the gnex.
i see at&t, t-moble,and sprint r rooted . what about verizon.
what about that whole unlocked bootloader thing.
a lil stuck.

I figure we have 14 days after we activate them to see how boot loader an root is. If its messed then trade in for a nexus. Thinking it will be good though.