PDA

View Full Version : AOKP stuck in bootloop, can't access clockworkmod recovery

shnigglefratz
06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Sorry for the wall of text to come; I've been struggling for over 10 hours and would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions you guys have to offer:
So yesterday i went from the leaked gingerbreak droid x rom to the rom from here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/aokp/45623-rom-aokp-unofficial.html
I data reset and flashed the new rom with gapps and it booted up fine. I went to Titanium Backup to restore all of my apps and user data and that worked fine, all my apps and data seemed to be restored. Titanium Backup (as well as the FAQ for the rom) said I needed to reboot for all my data to be fully restored so I turned my phone off and when I turned it back on, it was stuck in a bootloop of the unicorn start-up animation thing, and then getting to my phone's unlock screen for a couple seconds before going back to the start-up animation.
At this point I tried getting into clockwork recovery, but for the life of me I could not get it to work. I spent a couple hours googling how to get back into clockwork recovery and tried all the methods I could find (summarized here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html ) but none of them worked. I finally just went into the Android system recovery mode by holding power+home until the triangle exclamation mark thing appeared and then holding both volume buttons. I wiped my data/factory reset, and rebooted from here which allowed me back into my phone as if I had just flashed the rom.
I used my phone like this for a couple hours and everything seemed to be working (I could call/text/access data fine), but keep in mind I had none of my user data or apps as I had yet to restore them.
When I got home I decided to try restoring my apps and data again trough Titanium Backup. They seemed to restore fine, but I still needed to reboot; and the exact same bootloop occurred. Again I went into the Android system recovery mode (clockwork recovery was still inaccessible) and wiped data/factory reset, and booted up my phone again.
At this point I figured I needed to at least get access to clockwork recovery again so I only restored the ROM manager and Droid X bootstrapper apps. I opened the bootstrapper and hit "bootstrap recover" (I think that's what it's called) and then opened ROM manager and flashed the latest clockwork mod recovery for droid x. I clicked reboot into recovery from ROM manager, but my phone just rebooted into the red M logo, and then to being stuck at the AOKP start-up animation.
I wiped the data/factory reset again, but this time when I hit "reboot system now" my phone got stuck once it got to the start-up animation and won't fully boot-up.
If it helps I can get into bootloader, and from the Android system recovery menu there is an option to "apply update from sdcard." I'm wondering if maybe I could try flashing the rom again from this menu, but I don't know if this would do anything as I can't seem to boot into recovery.

I really appreciate any advice or thoughts you guys have to offer as I feel like I've exhausted every google result I've come across.

Thanks.

milski65
06-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Someone can give a more detailed explanation, but using Droid X bootstrap probably did you in. When restoring the apps try just the app, no data stuff, and do them one at a time.

So you have no option of getting in to factory reset at this point?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

silver04v
06-10-2012, 07:59 AM
You obviously have a bad batch of data. Stop restoring all data. Just restore the apps. Then go back and restore data one by one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

shnigglefratz
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
The problem is that I physically can't get into my phone now; it just bootloops even when I wipe data/factory reset. I'm thinking I might just sbf to 4.5.602 and then re-root and maybe try flashing the rom again?

shnigglefratz
06-10-2012, 02:58 PM
The only options I have on my phone are: reboot system now, apply update from sdcard, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition. I can get into bootloader so couldn't I just sbf to 4.5.602 and redo everything?

csk415
06-10-2012, 03:05 PM
The only options I have on my phone are: reboot system now, apply update from sdcard, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition. I can get into bootloader so couldn't I just sbf to 4.5.602 and redo everything?

Did you try wipe data/factory reset yet? If not I would and see what happens. I you think your data is messing it up the factory reset should wipe it all.

gummydx running latest nightly

shnigglefratz
06-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Did you try wipe data/factory reset yet? If not I would and see what happens. I you think your data is messing it up the factory reset should wipe it all.

gummydx running latest nightly

Yeah, it worked the first two times, but now even when i wipe data/factory reset and reboot my phone, it gets to the start-up animation but never goes past it.

miata492
06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
The same exact thing happened to me. The only way I got my phone back to a working state was to do the Linux SBF to the Milestone X / .604 - and I had to do that 3 times. Then after the 3rd SBF it rebooted and I was able to root it again and then go thru the steps to re-install AOKP. I am NOT installing the bootstrapper app again! Now that I know how to get it back I did it (install, run bootstrapper) to see if that was definitely it and it was. I am now running the latest AOKP but my battery life is terrible.

shnigglefratz
06-12-2012, 12:44 AM
The same exact thing happened to me. The only way I got my phone back to a working state was to do the Linux SBF to the Milestone X / .604 - and I had to do that 3 times. Then after the 3rd SBF it rebooted and I was able to root it again and then go thru the steps to re-install AOKP. I am NOT installing the bootstrapper app again! Now that I know how to get it back I did it (install, run bootstrapper) to see if that was definitely it and it was. I am now running the latest AOKP but my battery life is terrible.

Yeah, I figured out that droid2bootstrapper was the problem, so this time around I'm not going anywhere near it. I just finished re-downloading all of my apps and setting up my phone on AOKP, I'll test my battery life tomorrow. What kind of battery life are you getting?

miata492
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
As far as battery life goes I was able to go all day at work with many calls, a decent amount of email, BT on, some texts and I would be at 60 - 70%. Now I am leaving work with about 40 - 50% and that is with the same use and less apps installed. I am living with it as the phone runs so great with ICS and I have pre-ordered a SGS3. I will say that my battery life on the previous build (35) was on par or better than when on .621.

shnigglefratz
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'm getting even better battery life on AOKP than I did on gingerbread. With email and texting pretty constantly throughout the day, I was only at 50% after 9 hours.

nojogray
07-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I understand that the app should not be used on these ROMs but does that mean that we don't need a bootstrapper?

Goose306
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'll try to keep this as short and succinct as possible as I don't feel like writing paragraphs from my phone.

The "bootstrapper" app is only needed on stock, like post SBF. This is so we can access it initially, and is needed due to out encrypted BL. On unlocked devices you can actually replace stock recovery, would this message isn't needed, but I digress.

Effectively, the bootstrapper "wraps" the stock recovery so when a recovery request is sent from the UI it boots into that instead. Note this isn't from a cold boot (when coming from off) but on the stock Moto system other safeguards are in place (as outlined in the other thread, such as from a cold boot with USB plugged in) Access is not the same, with the bootstrapper it runs after system init so things still need to get past boot logo to get to CWM.

Now on a 2nd-init ROM (this is CM, MIUI, any ICS ROM) all of this goes out the window. Instead of recovery being a bootstrap after init, the init process is hijacked and injected with the code of our choice, allowing us to bypass some of the security checks in the encryption and load AOSP. I won't get too much into the details, suffice to say our hijacking method is vastly different, and using Droid 2 Bootstrap on 2nd-init is guaranteed SBF time. Thus, it is needed, on stock to initially get into CWM, but if you're on 2nd-init stay away from it. If you can't access CWM, you broke your recovery or boot procedures somehow. Regardless, if you are looking to avoid an SBF, either learn how to force CWM via ADB from a cold boot or install boot menu with your ROM of choice. CWM via ADB is decidedly old-school, but it is the most reliable, but still requires a PC and requires ADB proficiency. Otherwise boot menu works *most* of the same times as ADB, gives some extra features, and is more n00b friendly. Regardless though SBFs will happen if you are ROMing, as due to our encrypted BL there will be times that no method will save you EXCEPT SBF. One of those times is incidentally by trying to use a bootstrapper on a 2nd-init ROM.

Edit: still ended up writing paragraphs from the phone. ;)

tl;dr: droid 2 Bootstrap on stock (and usually safe on stock-based ROMs, although usually unnecessary) don't touch it on 2nd-init ROMs (unless you enjoy SBFing)

Sent from my SCH-I535

nojogray
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the help! Sorry I was noobing out.

Goose306
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help! Sorry I was noobing out.

NP. I'd rather the populace understand the correct answer and know why it's the correct answer. Information is never a bad thing; I was a n00b to at some point, asking DroidXChat why my CWM broke when I used bootstrap, which u til then I had aways been told was "necessary". The locked BL makes things needlessly complicated.

Sent from my SCH-I535

newmanx4
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Here's what I do. If I have to SBF for any reason, after I root and use Bootstrapper initially, I then uninstall it so I can never touch it again. :)

Sent from my Liquid X