PDA

View Full Version : 4.5.621.MB810 upgrade trouble

jlfessler
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Greetings.

Some background:

Being a laggard, I did not accept the 621 update when first offered through OTA. My 4.5.605 DroidX was rooted and I'd read that I'd have to either unroot or "hide" root in some manner. It seemed like a bit of trouble and I had other life issues at the time.

After things cleared, I contacted VZ and they pushed the upgrade again. After "unrooting", I accepted the OTA upgrade, but each installation attempt failed after a successful download. No other diagnostics, just "the update failed". I tried this multiple times after reboots, battery removal, cache clearing and such. I then did a factory reset and tried again - still the same sequence, successful download, install now, update failed.

So I called VZ and Moto. They suggested accepting the update while attached to a solid WiFi. All the same tricks were turned as with the OTA (another factory reset, clear cache, remove/replace battery) only these attempts used the WiFi (excellent signal). Same failure.

Moto then suggested I ship in the unit and for $110 they would handle it. Right.

So I found Blur_Version.4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip, downloaded it to the SD card and attempted to install using the recovery mode menu. This also fails but at least offers up the message: assert failed apply_patch ("system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings, apk", "-" then some odd number letter sequences followed by "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip status 7.

I've since rerooted just out of curiosity to see if that would still work.

All this to fix the irritating bug of the phone powering back on by itself.

Any hints or advice? btw, current Android version is 2.3.3. Should I be running 2.3.34 or whatever is the latest?

Thanks.
-Joe

Goose306
06-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Greetings.

Some background:

Being a laggard, I did not accept the 621 update when first offered through OTA. My 4.5.605 DroidX was rooted and I'd read that I'd have to either unroot or "hide" root in some manner. It seemed like a bit of trouble and I had other life issues at the time.

After things cleared, I contacted VZ and they pushed the upgrade again. After "unrooting", I accepted the OTA upgrade, but each installation attempt failed after a successful download. No other diagnostics, just "the update failed". I tried this multiple times after reboots, battery removal, cache clearing and such. I then did a factory reset and tried again - still the same sequence, successful download, install now, update failed.

So I called VZ and Moto. They suggested accepting the update while attached to a solid WiFi. All the same tricks were turned as with the OTA (another factory reset, clear cache, remove/replace battery) only these attempts used the WiFi (excellent signal). Same failure.

Moto then suggested I ship in the unit and for $110 they would handle it. Right.

So I found Blur_Version.4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip, downloaded it to the SD card and attempted to install using the recovery mode menu. This also fails but at least offers up the message: assert failed apply_patch ("system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings, apk", "-" then some odd number letter sequences followed by "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip status 7.

I've since rerooted just out of curiosity to see if that would still work.

All this to fix the irritating bug of the phone powering back on by itself.

Any hints or advice? btw, current Android version is 2.3.3. Should I be running 2.3.34 or whatever is the latest?

Thanks.
-Joe

If you want the latest either SBF to .621 or go to Froyo then flash ky's AIO to get the radio update as well. Either way will work but be aware of the repercussions. I'll get you links in a minute if nobody else gets it.

Sent from my Wiz Wiz MIUI!

Nemo aeternamn
06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
when you were rooted... did you debloat or uninstall any system apps? or modify any system files?
that will cause the ota's to fail.... the easiest way to fix it... sbf to 605... that will restore your phone to out of the box settings...
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

the most current system version is 4.0.4... but the most current version available threw moto for the... i believe is 2.3.4... but you can run a few roms that will be 2.3.7 if you wanted to that

post script: ninja'd by goose

Goose306
06-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Before doing anything I would recommend reading here, - you need to understand that taking the last OTA, .621, is unrevertable - so once you go there, there is no coming back. Also, root is a bit of a pain. Other than that, it is rootable and you can flash most GB ROMs, though some require patching. Read up here first, period, before making your decision:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html

If you want the .621 SBF it is linked there. So is the AIO. Both are in the 2nd post, you should still read the first post though to know what's going on if you are going to do it. Personally, I would recommend flashing to Froyo via SBF then using ky41083's .621 AIO rooted version - this will effectively be the same as an SBF to .621 with root so you won't need to do the Milestone X hack/SBF as described in the OP of that thread. Regardless you will be SBF'ing, that would be the most painless way, otherwise you will want to SBF using RSD Lite to .621 then use the Milestone X hack/SBF to root then flash the ky41083's stock rooted or the kernel/recoveries depending on where you are going - regardless its all detailed in the OP of that thread.

jlfessler
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the leads. After reading up on the .621, I'm seriously considering changing to a new ROM... maybe CyanogenMod as I've heard good reports on it.

Thanks to both you and Goose306