PDA

View Full Version : Phone for a Pre Teen?

kevant69
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm looking into buying a phone for my daughter she is 10. Come next September she will turn 11 and starting Middle School. Does anyone have a suggestion or opinions on a decent phone for her? I have Verizon Wireless.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
05-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Well how much money are you looking to spend?

i heard the motorola droid bionic is going to be free with 2 year upgrade.
Thats a very nice phone and well its free hahah.

csk415
05-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Well how much money are you looking to spend?

i heard the motorola droid bionic is going to be free with 2 year upgrade.
Thats a very nice phone and well its free hahah.

If your going with a data plan make sure you teach her how to ration the data for the month. I think vzw is doing the 4gb promotion so I would take advantage of that if that's the way your going. If your talking basic phone just pick one.

gummydx running latest nightly

kevant69
05-29-2012, 06:00 AM
If your going with a data plan make sure you teach her how to ration the data for the month. I think vzw is doing the 4gb promotion so I would take advantage of that if that's the way your going. If your talking basic phone just pick one.

I've been looking at some basic phones but every phone I look at the reviews are not great. As far as smartphones go I didn't want to get into a data plan but it looks like I have no choice. I guess I'm looking for a top of the line Basic phone or a low end Smartphone.

mhans311
05-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Personally I wouldn't pay for a data plan for a 10 year old. I would get her one of the better basic phones. It will be more than sufficient for her. Just my opinion. If you are going to get a smartphone I would get the bionic as long as it is free. It will be the best free phone you can get.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

milski65
05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
It looks like the pickings are really slim on basic phones from Verizon. They'll be gone within a year or so (just guessing). Out of the phones I've gotten for my girls, the env3 has been hands down the best. Kids text. They don't call. Unfortunately it's not offered at Verizon, and they aren't cheap at Amazon (new 79, used 30). My kids use upwards of 10k texts (to and from). I don't know if 4gigs per month would be doable for a preteen (at least not mine).

kevant69
05-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Personally I wouldn't pay for a data plan for a 10 year old. I would get her one of the better basic phones. It will be more than sufficient for her. Just my opinion. If you are going to get a smartphone I would get the bionic as long as it is free. It will be the best free phone you can get.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks mhans I agree with ya I just want to get a good phone.

csk415
05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks mhans I agree with ya I just want to get a good phone.

Looking at the basic phones I se they still have the lg cosmos. My 15yo had this one before her smartphone. It was a good phone.

Goose306
05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
If your going to get a smart phone and don't want to worry about overages you could always disable the 3G antenna and just make them use WIFI (bit of a tough policy, but it'd work. There's free WIFI almost anywhere in towns nowadays anyways)

Dunno if VZW is still selling it, but my gf refuses to get a smartphone and has had a Samsung Intensity 1 & 2. They are pretty solid, though they're made of plastic. But she drops it all the time and it hasn't broken yet, she only broke her first one when she dropped it in a cup of beer. Has a slide-out keyboard too.

Sent from my Wiz Wiz MIUI!

kevant69
05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Well i got the Samsung Brightside theres not much to choose from it was either this or the LG Extravert. They are basically the same but the Samsung touch screen is more responsive a bit more snappier. Its not easy picking out a basic phone when you're used to using a smartphone.

kevant69
05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh and thanks to everyone for your response, very much appreciated.