PDA

View Full Version : Moving on, Nexus or Maxx?

scuba264
05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Well of course I jinxed myself. 2 weeks ago posted on FB that I got the Droid X 2 years ago and I STILL don't have a real itch to get another phone and it has been great. Yesterday my camera stopped working, seems like the shutter is stuck. Guess I'm looking for something new.

Whats the opinions on Galaxy Nexus vs Razr Maxx? The way I see it:

Maxx - Amazing battery life. This is a huge selling point, I'm so tired of worry about charges.
Nexus - Raw Android, none of the motoblur business and will get updates faster. Also dig the styling. Better screen.

Can you root and put roms on both? I need to screw with my stuff eventually! I'm leaning towards the Maxx just for the improved battery.

The persuader
05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Well of course I jinxed myself. 2 weeks ago posted on FB that I got the Droid X 2 years ago and I STILL don't have a real itch to get another phone and it has been great. Yesterday my camera stopped working, seems like the shutter is stuck. Guess I'm looking for something new.

Whats the opinions on Galaxy Nexus vs Razr Maxx? The way I see it:

Maxx - Amazing battery life. This is a huge selling point, I'm so tired of worry about charges.
Nexus - Raw Android, none of the motoblur business and will get updates faster. Also dig the styling. Better screen.

Can you root and put roms on both? I need to screw with my stuff eventually! I'm leaning towards the Maxx just for the improved battery.

Maxx is very nice...
The reason for better battery life... The Battery is the full length of the phone...
You can't have a backup battery to install.. That's not good IMO

The Battery is not removable
Not sure if I like that option... Maybe/maybe not

It's Bubba :)
"Stubborn In Your Bones "

scuba264
05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I really liked that I could swap out my battery in the X. I have an external charger and 2 batteries. Though with the size of that battery in Maxx I'd never have to worry about it. Plus I've ripped apart enough phones and hardware that down the road if the battery started to lose some ability to hold a charge I'd still have no problem putting a new one in myself.

scuba264
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm so torn because I really want the much nicer Nexus screen and OS, but I can't get past battery life. Sometimes I limit my use on the phone if I'm out because it may die before I can charge it again. Whats the point of all this awesome stuff if I can't just use the damn thing?

noXcuse
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, root and roms for both. OTA ICS is expected soon for the Razr. You can get the official leaked version though. Lots of complaints about GNex phone service. The radios are crap. Me personally, I'd rather have functionality over what roms you can flash. Which is why I got the Maxx.

-----
Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

The persuader
05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I really liked that I could swap out my battery in the X. I have an external charger and 2 batteries. Though with the size of that battery in Maxx I'd never have to worry about it. Plus I've ripped apart enough phones and hardware that down the road if the battery started to lose some ability to hold a charge I'd still have no problem putting a new one in myself.

Awesome... I wonder what it cost for a Battery?

The persuader
05-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm so torn because I really want the much nicer Nexus screen and OS, but I can't get past battery life. Sometimes I limit my use on the phone if I'm out because it may die before I can charge it again. Whats the point of all this awesome stuff if I can't just use the damn thing?

As you mentioned backup Batteries

The persuader
05-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes, root and roms for both. OTA ICS is expected soon for the Razr. You can get the official leaked version though. Lots of complaints about GNex phone service. The radios are crap. Me personally, I'd rather have functionality over what roms you can flash. Which is why I got the Maxx.

-----
Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

+ 10

DirtyDroid
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Moved to off topic.

Noxcuse has a point..its really about what you want to get out if your phone...motor build quality is far superior of any other...I live in a rural area and I expected my signal to be much worse than what it is...compared to moto its not as great, but still don't have problems..gl on your decision, both phones are beasts :)

tap'd from the Gnex

fezrock
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
While the stock battery life and signal are total crap for gnex, the plethora of roms and kernels can solve that. It still isn't quite as good as the maxx, but it's good enough to make the decision more difficult. Both are great devices with plenty of dev love.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

gunner1982
05-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I ditched my X about 2 months ago for my galaxy nexus and have not given it a second thought if you looking for a phone you can truly make ur own then this is the way to go on the other hand if you prefer moto locking down ur phone with every update they put out then by all means grab a maxx

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gunner1982
05-28-2012, 12:19 PM
As for the ppl saying the radios are crap I haven't had any issues with data or calls other than when I was running CM9 but that rom is just crap anyway I've flashed lots of roms and never had issues

Goose306
05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I've also heard the newer radio/post-stock radios improve GNex service immensely.

As far as differences - The MAXX will get an ICS official, but good luck with Jelly Bean. It may have a hacked version of Jelly Bean (like we have ICS for the X) but its probably going to have its shortcomings.

Whereas with the Nexus it will likely definitely get Jelly Bean, and dev suppport will likely keep it alive in newer versions for quite a few. If I remember right the OG Droid has a working ICS port... that phone is what, 4+ years old? lol.

wilyums
05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I went with the Maxx for 1. The battery 2. MOTO build quality. 3. I'm just not a fan of Samsung. The Gnex is a badass phone, great specs great looking screen. I really did consider getting one. It just didn't feel right in my hand. I like the heavier feel of the Maxx.

fezrock
05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
I went with the Maxx for 1. The battery 2. MOTO build quality. 3. I'm just not a fan of Samsung. The Gnex is a badass phone, great specs great looking screen. I really did consider getting one. It just didn't feel right in my hand. I like the heavier feel of the Maxx.

I know! The Maxx feels so solid!

It's such a tough choice. Both are fantastic devices. Congrats!

gbrinn
05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I know! The Maxx feels so solid!

It's such a tough choice. Both are fantastic devices. Congrats!

Concur.

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

scuba264
05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah I had a super difficult time deciding. Best would be the battery of the Maxx with the clean android, screen, and support of the Galaxy. I made my decision though and went with the Maxx. Ultimately, I will get ICS and there are plenty of roms for the Maxx. The real decisionmaker was the battery though. I was still satisfied with my original DX, I'm more than happy with the upgrade to the Maxx and having real battery life is going to be fantastic. That was most important to me right now.

The persuader
05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I ditched my X about 2 months ago for my galaxy nexus and have not given it a second thought if you looking for a phone you can truly make ur own then this is the way to go on the other hand if you prefer moto locking down ur phone with every update they put out then by all means grab a maxx

You can still use your Droid X to flash New ROMs thru Wifi... The X lives on...

scuba264
05-29-2012, 08:56 AM
You can still use your Droid X to flash New ROMs thru Wifi... The X lives on...

Ha actually the X will have some future life. We've got a kiddo on the way so I figure a non-activated Droid X will be a perfect video player/game machine without the worry of calling 911 or China accidentally lol

The persuader
05-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Ha actually the X will have some future life. We've got a kiddo on the way so I figure a non-activated Droid X will be a perfect video player/game machine without the worry of calling 911 or China accidentally lol

Wifi too

The persuader
05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Wifi too

China is okay...
On Line Speech Tutorials... :)

jeems
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
..without the worry of calling 911 ...

Pretty sure 911 still works on an unactivated phone.

scuba264
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Pretty sure 911 still works on an unactivated phone.

Oh man ha you are totally right. Ok, well I still have that worry I guess...

jeems
05-29-2012, 09:39 AM

haha, sorry, not trying to raise the BP! But you'll be too busy to worry about the kiddo calling 911:omg:

The persuader
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
haha, sorry, not trying to raise the BP! But you'll be too busy to worry about the kiddo calling 911:omg:

Surprises are Awesome tho...

That's why we have them...just for the BP readings...

+ 1 Chasing the Kiddo

Wrapped
05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

I did that for my kid. She's got games, videos, and pictures on her X. I used ROM toolbox to freeze all telephone service and data. Just wifi allowed. Having some force closes here and there, but that's usually just with the play store and stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

DroidlynnXDoes
06-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I did that for my kid. She's got games, videos, and pictures on her X. I used ROM toolbox to freeze all telephone service and data. Just wifi allowed. Having some force closes here and there, but that's usually just with the play store and stuff.

At least u can't dial 911 over wifi. When I was little my brother decided to prank call 911 at my aunt and uncles house which the cops came to my uncle's house and had to give my brother a long lecture about why u don't dial 911 unless u really need to. Fyi, my uncle happens to be a retired LAPD officer and NAVY SEAL.

The persuader
06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
At least u can't dial 911 over wifi. When I was little my brother decided to prank call 911 at my aunt and uncles house which the cops came to my uncle's house and had to give my brother a long lecture about why u don't dial 911 unless u really need to. Fyi, my uncle happens to be a retired LAPD officer and NAVY SEAL.

:) you can't make this stuff up... AWESOME

" Stubborn In Your Bones "

Chessnut
06-19-2012, 12:35 PM
What about an iPhone ? Didn't like it at first but I'm growing with it,plus no force close.

Chessnut
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
By the way, hows it going Bubba?

Goose306
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
What about an iPhone ? Didn't like it at first but I'm growing with it,plus no force close.

iPhones tend to actually have more crashing/FC than Android. Google it. The difference is with Android you get a pop-up telling you so, with the log and whatnot, whereas on iPhone it will just seamlessly close without the popup. Potato, Potahto. I'd rather have the log personally, at least I know what's going on when it crashes.

Sent from my liquidMIUI!

scuba264
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM

If anyone is wondering, the Maxx is completely awesome. Takes great photos (one point over the iPhone, my wife has the 4S and is jealous of my photos, way better than hers), 4G is sweet, the screen is much brighter and bolder than my X was. The best part is the freaking battery. I can't get over how much I love not worrying about it anymore. I use it moderately all day and consistently go to bed with >60% left. So amazing. Turned off the 4G today just to see what that would do. ~5 hours unplugged and I'm at 89%.

I made the right decision in my book. Very satisfied and can't wait for the ICS release to get here someday. Rumors say soon. Also said last week, 2 weeks ago, a month ago, November...so whatever. Its awesome with GB anyway.