PDA

View Full Version : burned out on smartphones

heartlandex
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
well i went and did it.. switched from my x to a motorola z6c thats been in the drawer for a couple of years. gave up my grandfathered unlimited and switched to a nice compact slider dumb phone. its been 3 days and i have to say i dont really miss the x. this phone is easier to carry and lighter and smaller. im keeping the x as a gps ( have ndrive, navagon, sygic, and copilot) and mp3 player with winamp pro and video player. i mounted the car dock up near the head liner and ran the audio cable down to the radio and just drop it in the dock and im good to go. just thought id share. how many of you ever think about going back to the less complicated life??

mhans311
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I've thought about it but I need a smartphone for too many things. I think I would forget everything without it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

maybish
05-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I actually thought about it today! Its not a bad idea....

****May's pink ics and xparent pink!****

DirtyDroid
05-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't think I could.....I mean, I can shut it off for hours, days etc..but thats about it...to completley go back...its not that I don't think I could...but I dont think I would want to..unless it took over my life, then yea..but GL OP, you have more will than I do.

BHuber09
05-23-2012, 11:36 PM
And how did you become Amish again?

Hahah that's the first thing my mind jumped to. Me and a couple guys were talking and a guy brought it up and I seriously thought about it and honestly I could do it.. but I could also become Amish if I wanted. I just see it as its here, I personally am to young to have big bills so money goes to it. Its my main toy.

FreeMyMoto!!!

DroidlynnXDoes
05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
I have to have my X for alot of reasons, although if I ever get to where I cant afford Verizon anymore, I will switch to Sprint's iPhone 3GS, and use my X as an iPod touch. My X will still be my comfort if that happens. I dont like Sprint's Android phones, cuz they're not from DROIDDOES series, and for me its either DroidDoes or iPhone

Droidlynn & X

mhans311
05-24-2012, 06:36 AM
I have to have my X for alot of reasons, although if I ever get to where I cant afford Verizon anymore, I will switch to Sprint's iPhone 3GS, and use my X as an iPod touch. My X will still be my comfort if that happens. I dont like Sprint's Android phones, cuz they're not from DROIDDOES series, and for me its either DroidDoes or iPhone

Droidlynn & X

What's DroidDoes series and what makes it different from other android phones?

gbrinn
05-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Absolutely nothing but a licensed name.

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mhans311
05-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Absolutely nothing but a licensed name.

That's what I thought.

gbrinn
05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
And it's really just "Droid".

jeems
05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
I gotta say I like my smartphone. I could certainly do without it, but honestly if I was going to get rid of it I'd probably go prepay and just use the phone for emergencies or whatever.

I do admit there's a part of me that wouldn't mind going and being a hermit for a while.

The persuader
05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Suck it up my Friend...You're walking into the Footprints of Reality...Its only going to get Bigger...Hang tie...be a part of the success with the Cell Phone, Ipad, PDF phone World...

Its overwhelming, Why? Theirs alot coming at us at ONE TIME...

Its Bubba

well i went and did it.. switched from my x to a motorola z6c thats been in the drawer for a couple of years. gave up my grandfathered unlimited and switched to a nice compact slider dumb phone. its been 3 days and i have to say i dont really miss the x. this phone is easier to carry and lighter and smaller. im keeping the x as a gps ( have ndrive, navagon, sygic, and copilot) and mp3 player with winamp pro and video player. i mounted the car dock up near the head liner and ran the audio cable down to the radio and just drop it in the dock and im good to go. just thought id share. how many of you ever think about going back to the less complicated life??

DroidlynnXDoes
05-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Its the series of phones that have "DROID" in there names and they're the best! Its not just a licensed name. Where do u think "in a world that doesn't DroidDoes" comes from? It means DroidDoes what others cannot. Someone at Verizon told me that

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wigsplittinhatchet
05-27-2012, 06:05 AM
DroidDoes is Verizon's branding for Motorola Droid phones.

BHuber09
05-27-2012, 03:14 PM
DroidDoes is Verizon's branding for Motorola Droid phones.

And the Samsung charge also got the branding.

FreeMyMoto!!!

imajeff
05-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I just got a deal on a "HTC Droid Eris" for my kids to try, which I don't consider the same as "Droid Does" because it's not Motorola. Maybe I will find out if they really don't? ;-)

Seriously if you know another Android phone that can't do something a Droid can, I want specific examples. Heck you could even copy the "DROID" sound clip to any another android phone if you want (I don't know of any without sound anyway).

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

imajeff
05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Where do u think "in a world that doesn't DroidDoes" comes from? It means DroidDoes what others cannot. Someone at Verizon told me that

Can you believe at Verizon they told me these droids cannot watch movies online but that I would have to copy whole movie files like he did on his. I just can't trust those guys.

BKiv
05-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Those people in the stores don't have a clue what they are selling.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mhans311
05-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Its the series of phones that have "DROID" in there names and they're the best! Its not just a licensed name. Where do u think "in a world that doesn't DroidDoes" comes from? It means DroidDoes what others cannot. Someone at Verizon told me that

Like what types of things can droids do that other androids can't? I can't think if anything.

DirtyDroid
05-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Like what types of things can droids do that other androids can't? I can't think if anything.

Its Verizon's brand name

tap'd from the Gnex

DroidlynnXDoes
05-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I wish I could tell you, but I'm not sure other than its fancy boot animation with the red eye, and the comfort my X brings me. I sense that the DROIDDOES series has something in it that other devices don't, but I'm still trying to figure it out. There's just something about it that's making it more unique than any other device including other Android devices. I have heard the Motorola ones are more durable than the rest, tho. Also, this sounds weird, but I also like DROIDX's logo alot. I find it very comforting to see. I have incorporated DROIDDOES as well as my religious beliefs into my life. I'm a Christian and I felt that it was a higher power that led me to my DROIDX. I even foresaw it in my sleep

maybish
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM

Someone correct me if im wrong but isnt droid just short for android? And correct me if im wrong again but Android is the same across the board! Every android phone I've seen uses pretty much the same operating systems. Some are still running froyo. My dad has a metro PCs Droid phone and its running some form of froyo. It may not be as fast as our phones but its Droid. I would love to root it for him!

DroidlynnXDoes
05-28-2012, 11:24 AM
You Are correct, May

imajeff
05-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Someone correct me if im wrong but isnt droid just short for android?

A lot of technicalities there; I'd say no to both. Droid is a Star Wars term. Phone makers had to pay the copyright owner to use it for a Droid phone but not for an Android phone. That makes a Droid cost more than the others.

Also Android is an OS like Windows is. Same OS could look way different after personalizing or specialized apps and drivers. It runs on different machines and the hardware can have different ability. Android could run on a phone that doesn't have GPS for example, even something not a cell phone.

Most importantly Droid is hardware. It's a machine designed to run the Android OS. Another could add the droid eye and awesome sound but would be sued without permission.

Nemo aeternamn
05-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Most importantly Droid is hardware. It's a machine designed to run the Android OS. Another could add the droid eye and awesome sound but would be sued without permission.

pretty accurate up till this point... like you said.. droid is a name... licensed by lucas films... namely moto's line up on verizon are droids... aside from i think a couple of phones like... an htc... and the samsung droid charge..

droid is just a name on the phone.. like the droid x and the milestone x.. only difference is the one is for verizon and the other isn't...

android is just the os... it's on phones and tablets mainly... right now... but there's a project going to get the android os running on a computer... it's running on some amd processors mainly... 32 bit last time i checked..

imajeff
05-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Hello, perhaps you misunderstood me. Any way you did not disagree, unless you think really that the only difference between the two droids is the carrier. Of course there is more difference.

No matter; the point is correct that droid is the phone, not the OS.

Let's get back on topic...

Sorry I think I should have introduced myself in the forums. I'm Jeff, "master of all trades; jack of none". Since about 1984 I have experience in operating system development and in embedded systems but I've never worked on phones so I hope to write some cool stuff for my dx2 (though I have lots of questions before I root it).

Actually the reason I like this thread is because it shows we need a new approach. Something refreshing. Time for users to take a stand. Time to control our Droid and not wait for it to tell us what's next. Time to pick UP the ball and run. Time to put our creativity where or pride is. Time to WAKE up and SMELL THE TTL. SO WHO'S WITH ME!?
... sorry it turned into a little engineering pep-talk somehow...

Goose306
05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Hello, perhaps you misunderstood me. Any way you did not disagree, unless you think really that the only difference between the two droids is the carrier. Of course there is more difference.

No matter; the point is correct that droid is the phone, not the OS.

Let's get back on topic...

Sorry I think I should have introduced myself in the forums. I'm Jeff, "master of all trades; jack of none". Since about 1984 I have experience in operating system development and in embedded systems but I've never worked on phones so I hope to write some cool stuff for my dx2 (though I have lots of questions before I root it).

Actually the reason I like this thread is because it shows we need a new approach. Something refreshing. Time for users to take a stand. Time to control our Droid and not wait for it to tell us what's next. Time to pick UP the ball and run. Time to put our creativity where or pride is. Time to WAKE up and SMELL THE TTL. SO WHO'S WITH ME!?
... sorry it turned into a little engineering pep-talk somehow...

I believe we are already doing this, what with our rooting and ROMing and hacking and such. Bit harder on our Moto phones, but I'm pretty well sure they never intended me to be running MIUI or ICS on my DX. :P

DroidlynnXDoes
05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
I want to root mine, but my mother doesn't want me to. I know its the thing to do these days when u have a Droid

gbrinn
06-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Rooting .621 as you have told us you have is not the the thing to do, unless you are absolutely SURE of what you are doing.

DroidlynnXDoes
06-02-2012, 08:07 AM
I know, and my parents dont want me rooting my X anyways

imajeff
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I believe we are already doing this, what with our rooting and ROMing and hacking and such. Bit harder on our Moto phones, but I'm pretty well sure they never intended me to be running MIUI or ICS on my DX. :P

Sure is, at least a darn good start! My plan is after I have root then I want to set up a good environment where i can drop objects and connect with custom logic. Like mindstorm programming, but just for automating things from my droid.

DroidlynnXDoes
06-16-2012, 10:11 PM
And how did you become Amish again?

Hahah that's the first thing my mind jumped to. Me and a couple guys were talking and a guy brought it up and I seriously thought about it and honestly I could do it.. but I could also become Amish if I wanted. I just see it as its here, I personally am to young to have big bills so money goes to it. Its my main toy.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Same here B! Im always playing with my X