PDA

View Full Version : My, "Help Me Root and ROM my New To Me Droid X" Thread

swfldroid
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I am not new to this, I have rooted my OG Droid and my Droid 2 (many times) and applied many different ROMs over the last year or so. That said, I am not particularly knowledgeable about what I am actually doing, I'm just good at following steps. I know I will have questions along the way to ensure I don't screw things up so I thought I would start a thread to use instead of posting a hundred different questions in different places.

First off, what Android version do I want to be on when I root? Is it dependent on which ROM I intend to use?

fezrock
05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Welcome! The Rom you want to try first will determine the version you need to be on. The instructions will tell you which one you need. The root method is also dependent upon the system version. What are you on now?

Also notice we have specific GB and ICS sections with roms. The general hacking section has froyo roms.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

swfldroid
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Bad News (I think)

System Version 4.5.621.MB810

Android Version 2.3.4...

Slick17
05-29-2012, 02:52 PM
You can actually root it. I was on the same setup with a OTA download. I hadn't messed with my phone since I got the update and being rooted before. But I just started looking around again and foind that I could.

I'll have to find the link, but the way it did it for me was down loaded a Linux ISO file that I burned to a cd. Then booted my computer from the CD and it SBF'd my phone to a europe version I beleive of GB that is rootable:

System Version- 4.5.604.MB809.ACG-nTelos.en.US
Model- Milestone X
Android - 2.3.5

I'm now on this version and rooted. Now I'm just looking to see about a ROM to use or see about going to ICS.

newmanx4
05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/45037-noob-friendly-verizon-root-cm7-rom-guide-droid-x-621-ota-update.html

Step by step. Just substitute whatever ROM you want. Any of the ICS ROMs can be used with .621, but only a few blur based have been ported over to .621.

swfldroid
05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I got rooted using the Milestone .604 method and installed (gingerbread) MIUI. Love the ROM and everything seems to be working great for the most part. Once in a while I open a window (happened in Google Navigation today) and the text and background are the same color making it almost impossible to read.

I have not flashed back to the .621 kernel yet, I am wondering if I should do so?

newmanx4
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I would recommend flashing the .621 kernel. It's snappier and provides a little better battery life. Besides that, it's what is supposed to be on your X anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums