PDA

View Full Version : rom flash fails

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 02:02 AM
long time Lurker. on .605 rooted, with rom toolbox, rom manager, and d2 bootstrapper. flashed newest cwm and nandroid backup successfully (thank god). tried to flash vortex and liberty with no joy. cleared data/cache/davlik. both roms reported as "can't open.... bad". flashed earlier cwm, still no luck. used root checker (again) to verify root (yes). toggled USB debugging both ways with no luck. using non 2nd initial bootstrapped. lastly downloaded and verified md5 on both 3g and wifi, still no luck. newbie, but pretty sure I followed instructions to the letter, but just will not flash. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. (also hope this was posted in the correct spot.)

Droid-Xer
05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Could be wrong, but I believe you need to use d2 bootstrap to access clockwork to install those, then flash latest 5.x.x.x clockwork.

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Yep, using the Droid 2 version. Also using the latest recovery. I'm at a loss...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

silver04v
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
What do you mean the latest recovery? You should only be using d2, not flashing any other recovery with rom manager. You use d2 to get into recovery then flash.

Coming from my smartass Wizard MIUI. Speeding right along on 2012.4.5!

jeems
05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
What color is the text in CWM?

Also, are you choosing "install zip from SD card" or "apply update.zip"?

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
My bad, should have said latest CWM. Text color is green. And install zip from SD. The backup and restore seems to work fine. Any detail I might be overlooking?

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Just rechecked, text color is actually light blue. Version says 5.0.2.0.

Droid-Xer
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
You're using the wrong recovery. Open droid2 bootstrap, click the top button, grant su perms, then click bottom button. Recovery should be green.

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
That's really weird. It was green, then I flashed an older version just for shiz and giggles to give it a try (no help), then flashed back to the newest version. Regardless, I'll try reflashing the newest version again ....

Droid-Xer
05-16-2012, 12:59 PM
You don't flash the latest recovery until after you're on the rom.

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Ok, re bootstrapped and back on green text and v2.5.0.8 and still getting "E: can't open....(bad)" on both liberty and vortex. What am I doing wrong? Like I said both checksums match, and tried both zips downloaded on wifi....

Goose306
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
You don't flash the latest recovery until after you're on the rom.

If he's on stock .605 rooted it shouldn't really make a difference, as long as he's using Droid 2 Bootstrap, choosing the Bootstrap Recovery option first, then going into ROM Manager and choosing to Update CWM, and chooses Droid 2 option at that point. I always update CWM for compatibilities sake as soon as I SBF, and have never had any issues flashing ROMs. The only difference between green text and blue text should be if he's trying to restore a nandroid, as the older version created backups in .img files and the new one is in .tar files, so if you are on the older (green) recovery, it can't restore backups made on a more recent version. But as far as flashing a fresh ROM.zip, it shouldn't make a difference at all, at least it never has for me.

So far as your particular files and issues, did you download them to your PC or phone directly? If it was your phone directly I would try it over PC. I've seen corrupted files that still matched MD5 checks. Its a rarity, but it can happen. I never trust downloading ROMs via phone, just personal opinion.

Besides checking MD5 also check filesize, most file servers (I believe goo does this) as well as dev's will put up file size to make sure that matches as a secondary check.

SDCards going bad can also cause this (again, pretty rare but ruling out possibilities) do you possibly have an extra lying around somewhere to try instead?

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
At work now, but will try another SD card when I get home. And yes I did download directly to my phone (3g and wifi), so I'll also try downloading to my laptop. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll update with the results....

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Had another thought... I have data encryption turned on on my phone. Would that prevent cwm from being able to read the zip? If that's the case I'll feel like a real idiot lol....

drozaieski
05-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Negative on the data encryption, same "E: can't open....(bad)" result. It was worth a shot.

drozaieski
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Well, downloaded again via wifi to my phone. This time didn't save in a sub folder. Flashed and success. Not sure why, however, I'm not gonna question it. It worked! Thanks to everyone for the input.