PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on the Milestone X .604 and can not do anything else.

charlie31603
05-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I am new to all the rooting, roming and flashing stuff. Been reading about it off and on for the last year and a half that I have had my Droid X. I have always wanted to root it and do fun stuff. But was always afraid of messing it up since this was my first smart phone and didn't need a brick. All this programing stuff is weird to me. I am more of a hardware type guy. But last week My stock 2.3.4 OTA updated phone was just acting up and not doing anything at all. It was totally useless. Now I have done an SBF before on the phone when the Gingerbread leak came out. A Friend put it on for me. After a couple days I didn't like it and came to this site and found out how to do an SBF with a Linuxs boot disk. Did that and went back to Froyo and have been stock on OTA's ever since.

So that brings me up to last week. The phone was acting up and I just didn't care about bricking it since Droid X's are cheaper now. So I did some reading and found out how to gain root on the .621 update in this topic here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

Did that and it worked great! Phone now says Milestone and is on the .604 with root! So I went to try some roms with the kernal and WiFi fix found here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html

I downloaded the apps it said on the above link. And decided on the Liberty rom. But nothing I do works. Not the rom, the kernal thing or the WiFi fix work! At this point I have read so many post my mind is a mess. I have no clue on what to do and how to get it fixed. I am just stuck on the Milestone X thing with root. Honestly all I want know is a working phone that does what it's suppose to do. Random reboots, running hot, WiFi not working. every pic/vid get's corrupted I try to take, gallery not loading, dropped data and other stuff I can't think of. So if anyone can help, that would be so great! Thanks, Adam

newmanx4
05-15-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/45037-noob-friendly-verizon-root-cm7-rom-guide-droid-x-621-ota-update.html

Go here. Its a guide to flash CM7, just substitute whatever ROM you want.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

Goose306
05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
I am new to all the rooting, roming and flashing stuff. Been reading about it off and on for the last year and a half that I have had my Droid X. I have always wanted to root it and do fun stuff. But was always afraid of messing it up since this was my first smart phone and didn't need a brick. All this programing stuff is weird to me. I am more of a hardware type guy. But last week My stock 2.3.4 OTA updated phone was just acting up and not doing anything at all. It was totally useless. Now I have done an SBF before on the phone when the Gingerbread leak came out. A Friend put it on for me. After a couple days I didn't like it and came to this site and found out how to do an SBF with a Linuxs boot disk. Did that and went back to Froyo and have been stock on OTA's ever since.

So that brings me up to last week. The phone was acting up and I just didn't care about bricking it since Droid X's are cheaper now. So I did some reading and found out how to gain root on the .621 update in this topic here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

Did that and it worked great! Phone now says Milestone and is on the .604 with root! So I went to try some roms with the kernal and WiFi fix found here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html

I downloaded the apps it said on the above link. And decided on the Liberty rom. But nothing I do works. Not the rom, the kernal thing or the WiFi fix work! At this point I have read so many post my mind is a mess. I have no clue on what to do and how to get it fixed. I am just stuck on the Milestone X thing with root. Honestly all I want know is a working phone that does what it's suppose to do. Random reboots, running hot, WiFi not working. every pic/vid get's corrupted I try to take, gallery not loading, dropped data and other stuff I can't think of. So if anyone can help, that would be so great! Thanks, Adam

What happens when you try flashing the ROM in Clockwork? You didn't state how you were trying to install it.

You need to - (if you don't have it already)

Get Droid 2 Bootstrap from the market (its a couple $$ - needed)

Go in and hit Bootstrap Recovery. Grant it Superuser and wait for success message.

Get ROM Manager from the market (free)

Open, Choose Update CWM Recovery, when presented options choose Droid 2, grant it Superuser, wait for success message.

Make sure all files needed are on SDCard (ROM.zip, kernel.zip, wifi fix.zip) Make sure all your general backups are done (apps backed up with Titanium, contacts synced to Google, etc.)

Choose Reboot Recovery from ROM Manager.

Once in recovery, make a nandroid of your current setup if you want (a backup) this is under Backup/Restore.

Otherwise, or once done with that, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Then wipe cache.

Choose install .zip from SDCard. Choose the ROM.zip, let it do its thing. After its done -

Choose install .zip from SDCard. Choose the WIFI fix.zip, let it do its thing. After its done -

Choose install .zip from SDCard. Choose the kernel.zip, let it do its thing. After its done.

Reboot out, let it boot up. First bootup will take awhile (up to 5-10 min at longest) so be patient. If all steps were done as outlined above and you have good, full downloads, you should have no problems.

Keep in mind when flashing other ROMs in the future the WIFI fix is only needed on the blur-based ROMs (i.e. those listed in that thread) the kernel.zip is only needed to be flashed once per SBF (flashing other ROMs doesn't over-write kernel)

Happy flashing, let us know if you need further help.

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys. But I am getting nothing. I did it down to the tee, per your instructions Goose306. I already bought both Droid 2 bootstrap and CWM ROM Manger (paid version). And when I try to install the ROM from that link I get this:

E:Can't open /sdcard/Liberty3x-2.0Gold-signed-621v.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

And I have tried other ROMs and get the same thing. So I don't think it is just that one.

The WiFi and kernal say they installed successfully. But they do not. Phone still says .604 and Milestone X and the WiFi sucks.

Goose306
05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys. But I am getting nothing. I did it down to the tee, per your instructions Goose306. I already bought both Droid 2 bootstrap and CWM ROM Manger (paid version). And when I try to install the ROM from that link I get this:

E:Can't open /sdcard/Liberty3x-2.0Gold-signed-621v.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

And I have tried other ROMs and get the same thing. So I don't think it is just that one.

The WiFi and kernal say they installed successfully. But they do not. Phone still says .604 and Milestone X and the WiFi sucks.

What's your version of CWM? Did you check MD5?

Also what's your kernel version in about phone. It will still say .604 and Milestone X as that info is kept in build.prop which isn't fixed until another ROM is flashed (the kernel update and the WIFI lib fix do not fix that info as its more cosmetic than anything)

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Kernel Version
2.6.32.9-g1282440
mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1

CWM v5.0.2.0.

And what is a MD5?

Thanks!!

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
@ Newmanx4, After I get home from work I and have time I am going to red that link. Aparently the more I learn the beeter I will get.

newmanx4
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Latest CWM should be 5.0.2.0
Go to Rom Manager and flash latest recovery. Choose Droid X 2nd init from the menu that comes up.

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 04:28 PM
@ Newmanx4, Apparently I didn't update it when I tried it this morning when I just typed 5.0.0.7. lol. But it was on the 5.0.2.0 when every I tried it. Editted the above post.

newmanx4
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
The kernel you show is the .621 kernel. So that flash took.

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Then why does it still say 4.5.604 under system version instead of x.x.621? But that's great if it did take!

newmanx4
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
It will always say 4.5.604 because that's what you SBF'd to. That's the Milestone X. Essentially what you have is a Droid X that thinks it's a .604 Milestone X but with the stock Droid X .621 kernel.

Goose306
05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Then why does it still say 4.5.604 under system version instead of x.x.621? But that's great if it did take!

Its because the OS is still. 604... though all the hardware-related firmware (kernel, recoveries, etc) is correct. Think of it like you are just running a stock. 604 Milestone X ROM, cuz that's essentially what it is.

Sent from my Super Shadow MIUI

charlie31603
05-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Okay. That makes since I thought it would make it a droidx again. Still curios why the rom doesn't work.

Also I think I found my MD5 thing: 5ce84bd05456f596f18655b37fe6427

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/45037-noob-friendly-verizon-root-cm7-rom-guide-droid-x-621-ota-update.html

Go here. Its a guide to flash CM7, just substitute whatever ROM you want.

I tried doing it the same way in that post. And still nothing. I am wondering if I should SBF back to a clean slate and format my sd card also. Then just add those 3 zip files on the sd card and try this again to see if that would work.

Oh, I also tried a few of the ones ROMs that were in the ROM Manager app. Still nothing.

newmanx4
05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Are you placing the zips inside a folder on your SD or just putting them on the card?

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
They are placed strait on the sd card.

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Also my WiFi still sucks. Even tho it said it took it. I tried listing to Pandora while working on the car. It will last for a few minutes and stop. Then it won't let you do anything that requires data until I switch back to 3g.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums

Goose306
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Also my WiFi still sucks. Even tho it said it took it. I tried listing to Pandora while working on the car. It will last for a few minutes and stop. Then it won't let you do anything that requires data until I switch back to 3g.

Lots of possible issues with WIFI. At this point if your WIFI is working its not the fault of the libs... without the libs the WIFI doesn't work *at all* without setting a static IP for the phone. If you are getting dynamic DHCP (that is, you just connect to the network, without having to go through and set all the DNS gateways and static IPs) then the flash worked for WIFI. DX on GB has lots of known issues with WIFI. I would try either power-cycling your modem/router or the nvs fix here as both cause pretty common issues.

nvs fix: {WIP} GUIDE: NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues* - Droid X - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5650-wip-guide-nvs-map-creation-aka-how-i-fixed-my-wifimac-issues/)

Or if your able to get a ROM flash to go then Wiz's bootmenu as the nvs map fix built into the fixes section.

Goose306
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Okay. That makes since I thought it would make it a droidx again. Still curios why the rom doesn't work.

Also I think I found my MD5 thing: 5ce84bd05456f596f18655b37fe6427

BTW if that's the MD5 check you got on Liberty you got a bad download pal which is probably what is causing it.

It should match the MD5 listed on the ROM thread you initially got it from.

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
How do I know if that is the MD5 for the Liberty rom I downloaded? I found that MD5 thing in a few different folders while looking around in the root folders.

Goose306
05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
How do I know if that is the MD5 for the Liberty rom I downloaded? I found that MD5 thing in a few different folders while looking around in the root folders.

Google MD5 checker. There should be one from CNET as one of the top hits called MD5 Checker. Just download that. Its a tiny file, freeware, no ads, installation, etc.
(http://download.cnet.com/MD5-Checker/3000-2092_4-10410639.html<br /><br />I)
I always download files to PC first though for ROMs, etc. If you must download over phone there is apps in the market, just search for MD5. Be aware though an MD5 is not a save-all, it just is most of the time. You can match MD5s and have a bad download, its just a pretty rare occurence to happen.

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Lots of possible issues with WIFI. At this point if your WIFI is working its not the fault of the libs... without the libs the WIFI doesn't work *at all* without setting a static IP for the phone. If you are getting dynamic DHCP (that is, you just connect to the network, without having to go through and set all the DNS gateways and static IPs) then the flash worked for WIFI. DX on GB has lots of known issues with WIFI. I would try either power-cycling your modem/router or the nvs fix here as both cause pretty common issues.

nvs fix: {WIP} GUIDE: NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues* - Droid X - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5650-wip-guide-nvs-map-creation-aka-how-i-fixed-my-wifimac-issues/)

Or if your able to get a ROM flash to go then Wiz's bootmenu as the nvs map fix built into the fixes section.

Okay. I guess the WiFi fix worked. I just did a DHCP and it connected for those few minutes. I guess there is just other problems with the WiFi. I'll try it the other way after I get a rom on here. I guess me being a noob and seeing a post that say download this to fix your WiFi I just got confused. But again, I really appreciate all the help so far! One day I will get all this figured ou.

Goose306
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Okay. I guess the WiFi fix worked. I just did a DHCP and it connected for those few minutes. I guess there is just other problems with the WiFi. I'll try it the other way after I get a rom on here. I guess me being a noob and seeing a post that say download this to fix your WiFi I just got confused. But again, I really appreciate all the help so far! One day I will get all this figured ou.

No worries. That's what we're here for. Just wanted to show that the WIFI patch did take, there's just other things that are going into consideration for WIFI. :)

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Google MD5 checker. There should be one from CNET as one of the top hits called MD5 Checker. Just download that. Its a tiny file, freeware, no ads, installation, etc.
(http://download.cnet.com/MD5-Checker/3000-2092_4-10410639.html%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3EI)
I always download files to PC first though for ROMs, etc. If you must download over phone there is apps in the market, just search for MD5. Be aware though an MD5 is not a save-all, it just is most of the time. You can match MD5s and have a bad download, its just a pretty rare occurence to happen.

I think we found the problem. I did the MD5 check sum and it was wrong! The one I downloaded from the link to the computer was correct. But ee one on my sd card in my phone is wrong. It gave me this MD5 number: 041626B4B631B13A14EFACA16EC3507B. So I guess it got changed some how going from my computer to my sd card.

Goose306
05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
I think we found the problem. I did the MD5 check sum and it was wrong! The one I downloaded from the link to the computer was correct. But ee one on my sd card in my phone is wrong. It gave me this MD5 number: 041626B4B631B13A14EFACA16EC3507B. So I guess it got changed some how going from my computer to my sd card.

Did you mean the one you downloaded to the phone gave a bad MD5? Or the one you downloaded to your PC then transferred to your SDCard was a bad MD5?

If its the second:

I would try one more time by just moving it to the SDCard, make sure you safely remove the phone/SD from the computer. I always use the toggle option in the status bar (change USB Mass Storage to Charge Only).

If it still fails:
Lots of factors can influence that. Make sure you have a good USB cable if you're transferring, and a good SDCard, also that you always safely remove it. If you want to check cable vs. SDCard move it to your SDCard then while its still mounted to the PC, run the MD5 check again from the PC (on the file on the SDCard). If it checks out, it transferred ok. Then unmount the SDCard (I do this just by using the pull-down option in the status bar, change USB Mode from USB Storage to Charge Only). Once its mounted to the phone run an MD5 check on it there (using an app from the Market). If it fails then your SD is probably bad because as soon as it unmounted/remounted to phone it broke it for some reason. If all looks good then: flash!

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
The one I download to my computer strait from the link is good. The one that is on my phone from me coyping it from the one from the computer is bad.

charlie31603
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM
And we have ROMS!!!!!! Transferred the good one on the computer to the sd card and checked the MD5, all was good. Installed it and it took it with no problems whatsoever! So now I have Liberty on my rooted phone. And this seems sweet sofar. And it is working damn good too!

So I wanted to say thinks to both of you for helping me out. I have learned quite a bit from this little error. But one of the things I am always going to do, is use the MD5 checker! Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX

Slider16
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Did you mean the one you downloaded to the phone gave a bad MD5? Or the one you downloaded to your PC then transferred to your SDCard was a bad MD5?

If its the second:

I would try one more time by just moving it to the SDCard, make sure you safely remove the phone/SD from the computer. I always use the toggle option in the status bar (change USB Mass Storage to Charge Only).

If it still fails:
Lots of factors can influence that. Make sure you have a good USB cable if you're transferring, and a good SDCard, also that you always safely remove it. If you want to check cable vs. SDCard move it to your SDCard then while its still mounted to the PC, run the MD5 check again from the PC (on the file on the SDCard). If it checks out, it transferred ok. Then unmount the SDCard (I do this just by using the pull-down option in the status bar, change USB Mode from USB Storage to Charge Only). Once its mounted to the phone run an MD5 check on it there (using an app from the Market). If it fails then your SD is probably bad because as soon as it unmounted/remounted to phone it broke it for some reason. If all looks good then: flash!

Goose,

Thank you so much for your excellent guidance in troubleshooting charlie31603's issues. That turned out to be my issue too. After following the advice and going step by step checking MD5, I determined that the ZIP files on my DX were not matching the MD5, ONLY AFTER unmounting the SD Card from the computer and letting it mount on the DX.

My SD CARD seemed to get fixed when I allowed my Windows 7 64bit scan and repair the errors that it was notifying me about all long, and I was ignoring! :( Oops!

Anyway after I re-copied the files, verified while mounted on the computer, then re-verified MD5 after mounting on the DX,, all went well and my rooted-stock .621 installed PERFECTLY!

Now I'm ready to PLAY!

Thanks

Slider