PDA

View Full Version : Failed [install_failed_already_installed]

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Sorry in advance if this has already been covered...could not find my answer.

Q: How can I remove the z4root.1.3.0.apk from my Droid X?

Here's what I did. I went to xda-developers at this thread: Noob's Guide to a Droid X - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940986)

I used this set of directions:

z4root and ROOTING
If you get all of this, you have now installed a package using adb and we know the interface works. If you don't want to have to mess with this method of installing, you could also download "Astro File Manager" from the android market. You would then need to save z4root.apk to your sdcard of your Droid X. Then open the Astro program and browse to your SDcard and file the z4root.1.3.0.apk. Press on the .apk file and it should come up with a box that says something similar to "open with app installer" or "app manager"... don't recall exactly what it says, but should be something similar to package management or install of some sort. After pressing on that, you should see an install button. Press on that to install z4root.
Now that z4root is installed, you will want to go to your application list on your phone and press on the z4root to open the application. Press on the permanent root button and wait! This process may take a while, and your phone will reboot, but when it does, you are now rooted.

Make sure when trying to root your phone that you go into Settings-->Applications-->Development make sure "usb bebugging" is enabled.

continued...

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
continuation...

When I installed the z4root my phone froze up, the clock and all. I let it go for about 20 minutes...nothing. So, I popped the battery out, rebooted... The phone is fine (as near as i can tell) but it will not take a root app, but also will not root per these instructions:

Droid X Drivers
...Once you get the usb drivers installed, you will want to connect your Droid X to your computer. If it is recognized, you will get a notification in your drop down bar on your phone. On your phone, press on the USB connection in the drop down menu, and select "charge only". Next, open up a command prompt on your computer. Type the following in and hit enter:
adb devices
You should see something simiilar to the following come up if everything is configured correctly:
C:\>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
015A882315005010 device

If you see something similar to what I have above... then ADB is working correctly, and we can continue! Now we will move on to getting your device rooted! You will want to grab the z4root.apk that I have attached earlier in this thread and download it onto your computer. We will now test out if adb is indeed working! Save the z4root.1.3.0.apk and put it in the "tools" folder of the sdk we downloaded earlier. Now open up a new command prompt (or use the one we opened earlier if you haven't already closed it!) Change directories to the "tools" folder of the sdk:
If you installed the SDK where I used in my example.... type the following:
cd C:\sdk\android-sdk_r10-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools (press enter)
type the following: adb install z4root.1.3.0.apk (press enter)
You should now see the following:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb install z4root.1.3.0.apk
1833 KB/s (978414 bytes in 0.521s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/z4root.1.3.0.apk
Success

Once I made the first attempt using the Astro File Manager, and froze my phone, even though the phone is not rooted the second attempt through command prompt fails because it appears already installed...??? Thanks for any help. I guess what I need to do is get the phone to stock and start over, but I cannot figure out how (or find tips on how) being in limbo between root and NOT.

BHuber09
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
So you are trying to root??

try your first attempt again, with astro, that shouldnt cause problems.
If it does then redownload the app....

but my guess is that you are on GB and not froyo.
What color is the circle around the M when you boot up your phone?

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Sorry...duplicated

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! The circle is red. And I did try Astro ...three times.

BHuber09
04-30-2012, 08:56 AM
okay, the circle is red then you are on Gingerbread..
Z4 roots Froyo.
So dont even worry about using that.

Now going into settings > about phone > and tell me system version. then ill be able to help you more.

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Yes, trying to root. So, do you mean re-download Astro...? or z4root?

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
No kidding...? v. 4.5.621

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Z4 roots Froyo.

Now going into settings > about phone > and tell me system version. then ill be able to help you more.

Goose306
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM

You'll need to SBF to a Milestone X to root. Its a bit complicated but doable, and much easier now that 1KDS has the ezSBF, as that will put you on the rootable version and also root your phone all in the same script. I'm on .621 and have done it quite a few times now. See here for info:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Z4 roots Froyo.

Now going into settings > about phone > and tell me system version. then ill be able to help you more.So, am I screwed or what? I just read this post:
Read before taking .621 Soak Test - Android Forums (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/504050-read-before-taking-621-soak-test.html)

BHuber09
04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Okay... In order to root that one you are going to have to do lots of steps hahah
youll have to sbf to milestone x 604 root.

heres a good way on how to do it.
IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWiki

w (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/)ell goose beat me to it but its his thread so ill let him take it hahah

Thanks goose

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
You'll need to SBF to a Milestone X to root. Its a bit complicated but doable, and much easier now that 1KDS has the ezSBF, as that will put you on the rootable version and also root your phone all in the same script. I'm on .621 and have done it quite a few times now. See here for info:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html

I do not have Linux. I'm on a Vista machine...:cry:

Cedward453
04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
I do not have Linux. I'm on a Vista machine...:cry:
So... nothing for .621 Gingerbread root from a Vista PC? I'll Google it...

Goose306
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
So... nothing for .621 Gingerbread root from a Vista PC? I'll Google it...

Get the 1KDS live disc as it says in the thread. This will allow you to boot a no risk session of Linux that will perform the SBF and root all in the same script.

Sent from my shadow AOKP

newmanx4
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Like Goose said, the Live cd will work for you. And yes, you can do it from a Vista OS.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Cedward453
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Get the 1KDS live disc as it says in the thread. This will allow you to boot a no risk session of Linux that will perform the SBF and root all in the same script.

Sent from my shadow AOKP

Sorry for the late reply. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

That's the ticket! Worked like a charm, even for a noob to root!

Now...if you could point me in the right direction to an "Idiot's guide to Liberty ROM"

Root on Gingerbread SysV 4.5.604
Android V 2.3.5
Have:
Bootstrap for DX2
BusyBox installer
ROM Manager
ROM Toolbox
Root Explorer
Titanium BU Pro

(some are likely redundant...just like a Noob)

Any Help with ROM procedures (in Layman's terms please) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!
Thanks Goose306!!

Goose306
05-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Sorry for the late reply. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

That's the ticket! Worked like a charm, even for a noob to root!

Now...if you could point me in the right direction to an "Idiot's guide to Liberty ROM"

Root on Gingerbread SysV 4.5.604
Android V 2.3.5
Have:
Bootstrap for DX2
BusyBox installer
ROM Manager
ROM Toolbox
Root Explorer
Titanium BU Pro

(some are likely redundant...just like a Noob)

Any Help with ROM procedures (in Layman's terms please) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!
Thanks Goose306!!

You will actually want the Droid 2 Bootstrapper (unless that's what you meant by X2?) The X2 uses an entirely different recovery that doesn't work on other devices.

As far as if you want Liberty - you have to used the patched version. Follow the link in my sig for Blur-Roms for .621, make sure you read the OP and apply appropriate patches (everything needed can be found in the OP of that thread).

Cedward453
05-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks Goose!! Sorry i didn't get back...trying to figure it all out...

Cedward453
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
You will actually want the Droid 2 Bootstrapper (unless that's what you meant by X2?) The X2 uses an entirely different recovery that doesn't work on other devices.

As far as if you want Liberty - you have to used the patched version. Follow the link in my sig for Blur-Roms for .621, make sure you read the OP and apply appropriate patches (everything needed can be found in the OP of that thread).

I don't want to get ahead of myself (I can't even keep up with myself...that's why I'm asking this now, because I'll probably get sidetracked and forget to ask this later) but, to quote you from a Rootzwiki post (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/21337-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-for-those-on-621604/#entry573277), "Flashed about 6 ROMs today, already sick of blur http://rootzwiki.com/public/style_emoticons/default/android/wink2.png Its time to get back to my Gummy build for awhile." Here's my Q: With my Root on Gingerbread SysV 4.5.604 Android V 2.3.5 Droid X, can I go to Gummies, or am I limited to Blur ROMs? Q2: Do I understand that Blur really slows down ROMs?

Thanks!

Cedward453
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Statement, then a question. STATEMENT: Went to Blur-ROMs for .621 (http://tinyurl.com/6t27oj3) , followed these instructions:
Boot in to CWM.
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
Format system (under Mounts and Storage)
then install the desired .zip.

When I got to this point had too reboot w/o doing the last step: "install fixes" as Bootstrap has no "install fixes" option.

This step undone... Then install fixes (kernel then WIFI) no wipes with either.

Nothing derogatory here, but Experts, like yourself, seldom appreciate just how ignorant we noobies can be.

Nobbie QUESTION: How do you "install fixes"? When I follow all these steps, and the only remaining option is to "reboot"... I get frozen in boot mode and have to start all over from flashing SBF/root from the disk, over and over again!
:mad2: I'm about to loose my mind!Not to mention the wife loosing patience with me on the 'puter and phone continuously!

Please help me, and thanks for your patience :big smile:

Goose306
05-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Statement, then a question. STATEMENT: Went to Blur-ROMs for .621 (http://tinyurl.com/6t27oj3) , followed these instructions:
Boot in to CWM.
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
Format system (under Mounts and Storage)
then install the desired .zip.

When I got to this point had too reboot w/o doing the last step: "install fixes" as Bootstrap has no "install fixes" option.

This step undone... Then install fixes (kernel then WIFI) no wipes with either.

Nothing derogatory here, but Experts, like yourself, seldom appreciate just how ignorant we noobies can be.

Nobbie QUESTION: How do you "install fixes"? When I follow all these steps, and the only remaining option is to "reboot"... I get frozen in boot mode and have to start all over from flashing SBF/root from the disk, over and over again!
:mad2: I'm about to loose my mind!Not to mention the wife loosing patience with me on the 'puter and phone continuously!

Please help me, and thanks for your patience :big smile:

You should be able to still boot even without the fixes - just WIFI won't work and it'll act up a bit. But it should still be bootable. If you are getting stuck at a blackscreen or something like that when booting I think you might have a bad download or missed a step. I'll make this as easy as I can for ya ;)

First, if you want to check the consistency of the download, download an md5 checker (md5 is a checksum generated that verifies a files integrity, if you notice on the ROM thread I provide them for each .zip, just google md5 checker and there's bunches of freeware ones out there that can do it)

So, in CWM recovery, choose to do all the wipes as mentioned first (so wipe cache, data, dalvik, system) - sounds like you got that part fine. No wipes will be needed from here forward.

Now, flash the ROM .zip (choose install .zip from SDCard, then install the appropriate .zip)

Let it do its thing.

Once its finished choose install .zip from SDCard again. This time, choose the WIFI Lib fix.

Let it do its thing.

Once its finished choose install .zip from SDCard again. This time, choose the .604 to .621 update image (the kernel fix)

Let it do its thing.

Choose Reboot.

Let it boot (it can/will/probably/most likely) take awhile, like 5-10 minutes. This is because its basically building the system for the first time, building caches, etc. Let it do its thing. If it goes past 10-15 minutes then its probably a botched install and you need to start over, although you may try going into stock recovery (pull battery, re-insert, and then hold HOME while holding POWER - continue holding until you get an android with an exclamation. At this point push both volume buttons, and use the volume rockers to move up/down and power to select) and wiping data one more time. If that doesn't resolve it, you will need to SBF.

Cedward453
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Goose!

I guess that was easy enough, even for me. Thanks again!

I was able to upgrade the kernel, the wifi fix AND Flash APEX and Liberty.

I found that I had to run the wifi fix prior to each ROM flash in order to get the wifi to work on each one(?). I will see what happens on the next ROM flash.

Another QUESTION: What is the easiest way to reload apps and layouts when switching between ROMs? I'm guessing I need to layout each one then do a CWM backup when I get what I want, in order to "restore" each one exactly as I had it? Edit: But w/rstore I would lose pics, messages...and ...?

Thanks for your patience! You da man! :)

Goose306
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you, Goose!

I guess that was easy enough, even for me. Thanks again!

I was able to upgrade the kernel, the wifi fix AND Flash APEX and Liberty.

I found that I had to run the wifi fix prior to each ROM flash in order to get the wifi to work on each one(?). I will see what happens on the next ROM flash.

Another QUESTION: What is the easiest way to reload apps and layouts when switching between ROMs? I'm guessing I need to layout each one then do a CWM backup when I get what I want, in order to "restore" each one exactly as I had it? Edit: But w/rstore I would lose pics, messages...and ...?

Thanks for your patience! You da man! :)

Titanium Backup (paid) is the easiest method for restoring apps on new ROMs. Sync contacts to Google servers. There is a few SMS/MMS backup apps on the market but I don't care about backing up texts so I've never used those, so you'll want someone else's opinion on that. As far as layout/etc I usually set them up on each ROM seperately on each flash although some third party launchers let you do that (Apex for example on ICS). CWM backups are an entire system image. So texts, apps, layouts, etc are all kept, although they cannot be restored to a new ROM (restoring CWM backup puts you back on the ROM you made a backup of) General photos and that sort are unaffected as they are stored on the SDCard which isn't wiped each new ROM.

Sent from my BlackICE shadow kangorade