PDA

View Full Version : "Brand new" phone bricked, can't SBF (MEM_MAP Blank) Please help me find proper SBF!

Kr0n0Tr1pR
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I just got my replacement X (shipped with GB, not sure what version because I didn't look :-/ ) in the mail yesterday and the first thing I tried to do was root, but it kept failing, again and again. I've rooted several X's so I knew this was unusual.

I then tried to use my linux SBF boot disc (.605 I believe) but after the process was complete I got this error:

Err A5, 70, 70, 00, 1F
MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd

I googled around and it seems this is common, but all the solutions seem different.

I tried to SBF using my old linux disc (Froyo) but that yielded same results.

I'm not exactly sure which SBF I need to use to unbrick my X... some reports suggest I should find the "milestone" SBF, but I'm unsure even how to go about looking for that.

Can you point me in the right direction? Is there an easy live-boot method I can use? Thanks in advance for any help!

Goose306
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I just got my replacement X (shipped with GB, not sure what version because I didn't look :-/ ) in the mail yesterday and the first thing I tried to do was root, but it kept failing, again and again. I've rooted several X's so I knew this was unusual.

I then tried to use my linux SBF boot disc (.605 I believe) but after the process was complete I got this error:

Err A5, 70, 70, 00, 1F
MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd

I googled around and it seems this is common, but all the solutions seem different.

I tried to SBF using my old linux disc (Froyo) but that yielded same results.

I'm not exactly sure which SBF I need to use to unbrick my X... some reports suggest I should find the "milestone" SBF, but I'm unsure even how to go about looking for that.

Can you point me in the right direction? Is there an easy live-boot method I can use? Thanks in advance for any help!

Easy fix for ya if you've done this before.

Your replacement likely came with .621. .621 is unrevertable (so, can't SBF to lower version numbers, which is why you are now getting the MEM_MAP blank.)

You need to SBF the .604 Milestone X ISO if you are planning on rooting. .621 is unrootable, at this time. So we have to SBF to an earlier version to root. The only known version that works with ours is the Milestone X .604. It has the newer recoveries, etc so we are able to SBF without a brick, and then you root via Zergrush.

1KDS has the live bootable compiled and it has Zergrush built in too. Easy Peasy.

Get it from the 1KDS ISO link in my sig. Just make sure you grab the .604 Milestone X version.

You will want the version that looks like this:

(Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread)
210.8mb (210,763,776 bytes)
MD5 (1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso) = b8d32cfca4d138f3076b0bf85ae6318e
This is a special image. It is used for those that have taken the 4.5.621 OTA update and have lost root. This image uses the nTelos Milestone X 4.5.604 sbf file. This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root. Only use this file if you are on 4.5.621 or already on 4.5.604.

After you are flashed and rooted I'd recommend ROMing. Being as you are flashing to a non-Verizon system stock .604 has a couple issues like MMS doesn't seem to work. If you are planning on flashing blur-based ROMs you have to use one of the patched versions I've compiled, they are in the link in my sig. Otherwise 2nd-init (CM7/MIUI/Any ICS ROMs) work the same as they on the old versions (.602/.605)

Kr0n0Tr1pR
04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Easy fix for ya if you've done this before.

Your replacement likely came with .621. .621 is unrevertable (so, can't SBF to lower version numbers, which is why you are now getting the MEM_MAP blank.)

You need to SBF the .604 Milestone X ISO if you are planning on rooting. .621 is unrootable, at this time. So we have to SBF to an earlier version to root. The only known version that works with ours is the Milestone X .604. It has the newer recoveries, etc so we are able to SBF without a brick, and then you root via Zergrush.

1KDS has the live bootable compiled and it has Zergrush built in too. Easy Peasy.

Get it from the 1KDS ISO link in my sig. Just make sure you grab the .604 Milestone X version.

great thanks you! Now it says under the .604 milestone link that "this results in a non-verizon system" What does that mean? I am on Verizon, will I need to re-activate or something?

2nd question (prob stupid): if .621 is unrevertable, how can I SBF to .604? Simply because its the Milestone version? Anyway thanks for helping!

Kr0n0Tr1pR
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
After you are flashed and rooted I'd recommend ROMing. Being as you are flashing to a non-Verizon system stock .604 has a couple issues like MMS doesn't seem to work. If you are planning on flashing blur-based ROMs you have to use one of the patched versions I've compiled, they are in the link in my sig. Otherwise 2nd-init (CM7/MIUI/Any ICS ROMs) work the same as they on the old versions (.602/.605)

Ok, that pretty much answers my above questions... I will SBF with the Milestone link you provided, and I from there I will probably jump back onto MIUI (which I was using before)... I was thinking about giving liberty a go but right now simplest solution would be MIUI for me I think, plus I need to get my phone operational ASAP.

This is... fun!

Goose306
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
great thanks you! Now it says under the .604 milestone link that "this results in a non-verizon system" What does that mean? I am on Verizon, will I need to re-activate or something?

2nd question (prob stupid): if .621 is unrevertable, how can I SBF to .604? Simply because its the Milestone version? Anyway thanks for helping!

I would try the .604 SBF first. The live ISOs don't flash the radio, which means reactivation is not required. That's specifically why we have to use the live ISO and not RSD Lite, otherwise the radio can't speak to Verizon. If you had attempted your previous SBF's using RSD Lite, you'll probably need to reactivate as it probably flashed your radio at least. Regardless it should activate. I've done it plenty of times myself, even with wiping radios and whatnot (I'm actually on the old .602 radio and on the .604 Milestone X kernel currently because of some wonky stuff I've been doing trying to recompile a rooted SBF, lol). Anyways, all that really matters is that your radio is intact. If you run into issues activating let me know and I can link you to a .621 RSD Lite SBF I have in my Dropbox. Its unrootable but it'll reflash your radio if done via RSD so that would gaurantee you start fresh, and then you could re-run the .604 ISO to root.

As far as any issues being a non-Verizon system, see above post. All it basically means is that its missing the Verizon apps (Verizon Backup, My Verizon, etc.) a Milestone X is a generic Droid X, so hardware, etc seems to be the same. If you try staying on stock rooted there can be some quirky issues as that firmware wasn't designed for Verizon, but that's about it. The special blur-based ROMs (the patched ones I made) are needed on .621 or .604, that's because of the new unrevertable kernel, and flashing any 2nd-init ROM everything works as it should because we are completely rebuilding the system from the ground-up with everything except for ramdisk so it doesn't make a difference realistically at all, and everything works as it should.

As for why we can revert to the .604 MX build, Moto has been in the habit of the last few months of putting out "unrevertable" updates. Various phones have found out ways around it (D2G has a way to brick and unbrick, Defy has made a custom SBF, we trick ours into a Milestone X, etc.) I, along with some other people, are trying to work on a more elegant solution that would allow us to keep the .621 kernel instead of having to trick it into the MX, but that's what we have right now. Essentially we can flash this because this has the updated recoveries and ramdisk portions that don't allow reversion earlier, the same as the DX does on .621. Think of it kinda like a bar -> both the .604 and .621 are above that bar, everything else is below, and we can't go below. Its the easiest way to explain it.

Let us know if you need any other help.

Kr0n0Tr1pR
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
cool man, so far so good everything booted up! So I am going to flash MIUI w/ clockwork but should I use droid 2 bootstrap? (as I have for all ROM's on GB so far) or use Droid x bootstrap? I don't want to make a stupid mistake and brick again

Goose306
04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
cool man, so far so good everything booted up! So I am going to flash MIUI w/ clockwork but should I use droid 2 bootstrap? (as I have for all ROM's on GB so far) or use Droid x bootstrap? I don't want to make a stupid mistake and brick again

Use normal bootstrap procedures for the X. When on blur-based/stock use Droid 2 Bootstrap, when on 2nd-init ROM use the built-in recovery options.