PDA

View Full Version : can I install Cyanogenmod over MIUI?

droid2501
04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been running MIUI 1.12.9 on my Droid X for a while now and I get FCs quite a bit. I'd like to try Cyanogenmod. Since I'm running MIUI I can boot into CWM and simply flash Cyanogenmod, right? Speaking of which, where do I download the Cyanogenmod ROMS from? I went to the official site but I didn't find any stables? Are there any? Or are they all just nightly builds? I have a Droid X so I would like to try CM9 if possible. Is it stable?

jeems
04-24-2012, 02:40 PM
If you want to try it that way, make sure you do all your wipes, including system, before flashing CM. Also, make sure to read and follow any ROM specific steps the dev has pointed out. SBFing before flashing is always a safe bet.

I don't know where any CM7 roms are, but CM9 is over in the Ice Cream Sandwich section. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're going for CM? There are a lot of new sweet roms out there. Vortex reloaded and the more recent miui version are great gingerbread roms and there's Gummy, AOKP, miui V4 if you are looking for ICS. And those are just the ones I've tried...

droid2501
04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been out of the loop so I'm not up to date on the latest and greatest roms so I'll give some of the roms you suggested a try. I was going to try CM because I've never tried it before. I remembered reading that it is easier to flash a 2nd init rom over another 2nd init rom. Since both CM and MIUI are 2nd init I figured I'd try it out since I don't want to SBF unless I have to. Will CM9 work on a Droid X? I wasn't aware that it would but I guess that shows how behind I am with what's out there in terms of original Droid X roms.

SaurusX
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
The unofficial CM7 ROM can be found below and is far far better than the official build. The official build barely has anything at all working properly. For the version below I'd recommend using the 3/24 build, which while not the newest doesn't have the bug with the notification sounds always coming out of the phone speaker.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off

(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/)

jeems
04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Here is CM9:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/ice-cream-sandwich-roms/43914-cyanogenmod-9-beta.html

droid2501
04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Strange, I can't seem to boot into CWM. Not even from the MIUI boot menu. I select CWM and it just reboot the phone like normal. I downloaded ROM manager and tried flashing CWM for Droid X 2nd init and that didn't work either. Did I miss a step?

SaurusX
04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
You're on DXC's old 1.12.9 build, which I think needed you to run cat.jpg from the terminal first. Open Terminal Emulator and do the following:

su
cat.jpg

Now hit the home key so that terminal remains running in the background. Open ROM Manager and select the option to reboot into Clockwork recovery. That should work.

droid2501
04-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Ah, got it. Thanks! I have CM7 up and running. Seems to be a great ROM, I really like the CM settings section. However, I think the battery life is not that great. In terms of battery life I'd have to go Apex 2 RC4> MIUI 1.12.9 > CM7 (Apex being the best and CM7 being the worst). Has anyone else notices this? I guess I'll have to see if there are any tweaks I can make to CM7 power settings.

newmanx4
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
If you flashed the CM7 Sauras pointed you to at Rootzwiki battery life is great. You'll have to run it a few days and let the battery settle in. First few days I was on it my battery drained quickly too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums