PDA

View Full Version : police copying data from smartphones

xspacemonkey85x
04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
US Police Can Copy Your iPhone’s Contents In Under Two Minutes - The Next Web
(http://thenextweb.com/us/2011/04/20/us-police-can-copy-your-iphones-contents-in-under-two-minutes/)
Who is aware of this? I'm currently running AOKP ICS on my droidX... I'm curious if this device would even be able to connect to my phone since half the drivers are GB and barely function correctly on my phone. Also, wouldn't apps like Cerberus or Mobile defense be capable of blocking said device?

The wheel it turns, it rolls around. It makes an ancient rumbling sound.

noXcuse
04-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Just to settle your thinking a little bit, I've been a cop for quite a few years now. We have these. The only time they get used is to gather gang intelligence, drug dealing evidence, homicide evidence, stiff like that. There is case law that says cell phones can be searched incident to arrest, if the cell phone could've been used in the crime. It's done immediately, and does not require a warrant, because of the fact that cell phones can be wiped remotely. If you ain't committing major crimes then don't worry about it. It'll never affect you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DroidlynnXDoes
04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Does that mean if you were texting someone and talked about doing something illegal (which I don't do anything illegal), that they can intercept your text messages?

The X is watching! DROOOOIIIID!

casper55117
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Just to settle your thinking a little bit, I've been a cop for quite a few years now. We have these. The only time they get used is to gather gang intelligence, drug dealing evidence, homicide evidence, stiff like that. There is case law that says cell phones can be searched incident to arrest, if the cell phone could've been used in the crime. It's done immediately, and does not require a warrant, because of the fact that cell phones can be wiped remotely. If you ain't committing major crimes then don't worry about it. It'll never affect you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 what if they are being used illegally and violating our 4th amendment rights? like here Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp)

dennyjones
04-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Living in Michigan myself, I really thought the police departments would have something better to do with their time, like worry about the jails being so full they can't process criminals or their own cutbacks on personnel or that three of the murder capital cities of the United States are within the Great Lakes.

Next they'll think they have the right to put an animal tracking chip on all motorist.

noXcuse
04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Does that mean if you were texting someone and talked about doing something illegal (which I don't do anything illegal), that they can intercept your text messages?

No. It's only what is currently on your phone. It plugs into the USB port and downloads the data. It cannot intercept calls or texts.

what if they are being used illegally and violating our 4th amendment rights? like here Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp)

Yes, that is a clear 4th amendment violation. I didn't read the article, but those cops and that department should be sued civilly.

They are ONLY for searching a phone incident to arrest, and has to be within the scope if the crime. If you're a drug dealer then it would be used to get any drug contacts or transactions from your phone. I'd you like child p0rn, well then it's obvious why. It has to be used in the crime, or there has to be reasonable suspicion that it was used in the crime. Anything else is a 4th amendment violation. Texting while driving is not a crime. While it's illegal in alot of state, it's not jailable. Just a civil penalty. It has to be an arrestable offense.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx.

DroidlynnXDoes
04-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I see

nodixe
04-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Its a wireless device...there is no privacy..... besides the fact that Google tracks every keystroke...its par for the course....not defending it just saying that if I wad in a hi risk career I'd take that into account....

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

rudyy
04-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Yep, I assume every piece of datum sent and received, every call, every text, every download, every upload, is known and stored for future reference.
I don't trust any level of government as far as I can throw my car. I never will.

ArcAngL
04-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Yep, I assume every piece of datum sent and received, every call, every text, every download, every upload, is known and stored for future reference.
I don't trust any level of government as far as I can throw my car. I never will.

+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

DroidlynnXDoes
04-19-2012, 04:26 AM

I dont trust the government either, because of my own Xperiences, and neither does my X