PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of .621!!!!!

alburt02
04-08-2012, 03:38 AM
This is a thread for us poor saps who got stuck in the .621 system, hopefully a way to get out of it will fully surface!

alburt02
04-08-2012, 03:40 AM
I got stuck in .621, I've done all the necessary steps to flash Milestone x on my Droid X. How do I return to a previous version of the Droid X. I'd like to boot CM7, CM9, or MIUI, and Milestone X is proving to be very difficult!

Can anyone help?

monomidget
04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
You can't your stuck and a SPF back will leave u bricked and a nice paperweight

csk415
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I got stuck in .621, I've done all the necessary steps to flash Milestone x on my Droid X. How do I return to a previous version of the Droid X. I'd like to boot CM7, CM9, or MIUI, and Milestone X is proving to be very difficult!

Can anyone help?
Like mono said your stuck. Check this thread out http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html
People have gotten miui to work and I think cm7 and cm9. Just ask in the thread.

Gummyfied 3-30 boostedASSv2

holycow131415
04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Since you are on milestone, just zergrush it to root it, and then install CM7. Find your place in my guide here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/45037-noob-friendly-verizon-root-cm7-rom-guide-droid-x-621-ota-update.html) :)

alburt02
04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks so much for your help guys! Spent all day Saturday sbfing from different sbf's back to milestone because none of them worked. Figured I was doing something wrong! If this weekend taught me anything, I loved my droid, but I can't wait to upgrade out of Motorola... S3! I'm going to try to boot cm... Thanks again!

HowardZ
04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
This is how you root a 621 system:

1. SBF to 621 on a windows PC using RSDLite- this assures you will have the correct latest 621 cell radio. The 621 SBF file and RSDLite is readily available from many sources. Here is my private copy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/621.sbf.7z
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/Tools/SBFWindows/RSDLite5.6.4.7z

2. SBF to European firmware for the Milestone-X on a Linux PC (or using a Ubuntu Live CD)
You must use the Linux SBF program because only the Linux version will leave the radio firmware alone.
Do not use the Windows RSDLite program because you will end up with european radio firmware which will not work 3G on verizon.
Here is my copy of the Linux SBF Flash program:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/Tools/SBFLinux/sbf_flash

3. root the European firmware. The european zip file includes the SBF file and a working one click root method.
This is readily available in other threads.
Here is a link to my copy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Milestone_EU_DX.604_root.zip

4. install clockworkmod for Droid 2
You can buy it on the regular market place/play for a few dollars.

5. install Boot manager and update clockworkmod to the latest version
Free on the regular market place/play.

6. boot into clockworkmod

7. restore the nandroid backup of the rooted 621 system.
Of course you should wipe cache, dalvic cache, and data before restoring the nandroid backup.
This uses a nandroid backup of the system of an individual who used Voodoo Rootkeeper to survive the 621 OTA update and still retain root. It is a nandroid backup of only his system partition, as he did not want the possibility of any of his private data and passwords getting into other peoples' phones.
This nandroid backup was only mentioned once in a very long many page long thread.

The nandroid backup is stored on the SD card under /clockworkmod/backup/rooted612 and consists of two files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Rooted621/nandroid.md5
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Rooted621/system.ext3.tar

You must be using the newer versions of clockworkmod to be able to restore a nandroid backup consisting of a ".tar" file.

For most people the hurdle is using a Ubuntu Linux Live CD and some basic Linux shell commands. These linux commands are documented in that long thread about using Milestone-X, but they are not enough because you will certainly need a little practical knowledge about moving around and using a Linux system.

Regards,

Howard

holycow131415
04-21-2012, 01:44 AM
This is how you root a 621 system:

1. SBF to 621 on a windows PC using RSDLite- this assures you will have the correct latest 621 cell radio. The 621 SBF file and RSDLite is readily available from many sources. Here is my private copy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/621.sbf.7z
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/Tools/SBFWindows/RSDLite5.6.4.7z

2. SBF to European firmware for the Milestone-X on a Linux PC (or using a Ubuntu Live CD)
You must use the Linux SBF program because only the Linux version will leave the radio firmware alone.
Do not use the Windows RSDLite program because you will end up with european radio firmware which will not work 3G on verizon.
Here is my copy of the Linux SBF Flash program:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/Tools/SBFLinux/sbf_flash

3. root the European firmware. The european zip file includes the SBF file and a working one click root method.
This is readily available in other threads.
Here is a link to my copy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Milestone_EU_DX.604_root.zip

4. install clockworkmod for Droid 2
You can buy it on the regular market place/play for a few dollars.

5. install Boot manager and update clockworkmod to the latest version
Free on the regular market place/play.

6. boot into clockworkmod

7. restore the nandroid backup of the rooted 621 system.
Of course you should wipe cache, dalvic cache, and data before restoring the nandroid backup.
This uses a nandroid backup of the system of an individual who used Voodoo Rootkeeper to survive the 621 OTA update and still retain root. It is a nandroid backup of only his system partition, as he did not want the possibility of any of his private data and passwords getting into other peoples' phones.
This nandroid backup was only mentioned once in a very long many page long thread.

The nandroid backup is stored on the SD card under /clockworkmod/backup/rooted612 and consists of two files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Rooted621/nandroid.md5
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68255938/Android/ROMsForDroidX/Rooted621/system.ext3.tar

You must be using the newer versions of clockworkmod to be able to restore a nandroid backup consisting of a ".tar" file.

For most people the hurdle is using a Ubuntu Linux Live CD and some basic Linux shell commands. These linux commands are documented in that long thread about using Milestone-X, but they are not enough because you will certainly need a little practical knowledge about moving around and using a Linux system.

Regards,

Howard

This guide seems to be for those who never ota updated to 621. also, when you sbf to milestone, it is no longer 621, as milestone is actually a newer verison of android than 621 is and milestone has its own naming numbers. Step 1 through 4 get done using the linux liveCD in my guide here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/45037-noob-friendly-verizon-root-cm7-rom-guide-droid-x-621-ota-update.html). it has a script that sbfs and roots milestone for you so you dont need know any commands. #7 would never be a backup of a rooted 621, it would be of a rooted milestone 604.

HowardZ
04-21-2012, 06:36 AM
holycow,

You missed the importance of step#7.

Without this step you can never have a rooted 621 system.
Instead you will have a rooted Milestone-X system.

The only way to get a rooted 621 system is to either:

1. Installed and used Voodoo to protect root prior to accepting the OTA 621 update - and it didn't help everyone survive the OTA update - just some people, or

2. RSDLite SBF to the 621 system to have the latest radio firmware, migrate to a rooted Milestone-X system, and then restore the /system nandroid backup from a person's phone who survived with root after the OTA upate

One first needs a rooted Milestone-X system in order to install and use clockworkmod recovery to restore the rooted 621 nandroid backup. The person who provided the nandroid backup of his rooted 621 system was very apprehensive about his private data and passwords being leaked to other peoples' phones, but was assured that a nandroid backup of only his /system partition was safe for him. This user had customized the boot up animation on his phone, so unfortunately everyone using his backup will have this non-stock animation.

Some people don't need or want a rooted 621 system, as they want to move on to their next step of loading a ROM like CM9, AOSP/gummy, or AOSP/AOKP.

But other people want a stock rooted system, and 621 will likely be the last update from Verizon, and thus will forever be the latest stock system.

Howard

ems3
04-21-2012, 08:58 AM
I had to get a replacement dx from verizon and it came with .621 installed...... I flashed the milestone sbf and then rooted with zergrush. After that I made a backup and then installed wizards miui 4.5 everything went smooth and I think the .621 update (or milestone .604) is a little bit faster than the .603 was. hope this helps someone

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

holycow131415
04-21-2012, 11:58 PM
holycow,

You missed the importance of step#7.

Without this step you can never have a rooted 621 system.
Instead you will have a rooted Milestone-X system.

The only way to get a rooted 621 system is to either:

1. Installed and used Voodoo to protect root prior to accepting the OTA 621 update - and it didn't help everyone survive the OTA update - just some people, or

2. RSDLite SBF to the 621 system to have the latest radio firmware, migrate to a rooted Milestone-X system, and then restore the /system nandroid backup from a person's phone who survived with root after the OTA upate

One first needs a rooted Milestone-X system in order to install and use clockworkmod recovery to restore the rooted 621 nandroid backup. The person who provided the nandroid backup of his rooted 621 system was very apprehensive about his private data and passwords being leaked to other peoples' phones, but was assured that a nandroid backup of only his /system partition was safe for him. This user had customized the boot up animation on his phone, so unfortunately everyone using his backup will have this non-stock animation.

Some people don't need or want a rooted 621 system, as they want to move on to their next step of loading a ROM like CM9, AOSP/gummy, or AOSP/AOKP.

But other people want a stock rooted system, and 621 will likely be the last update from Verizon, and thus will forever be the latest stock system.

Howard

Yeah i did miss that you were giving links to a nandroid of a rooted 621, dunno why they would want to sbf to it when milestone is a newer version of android lol.

gloucesterfd2007
04-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of the window that pops up prompting to install 621? Will it install on its own after a while or can i keep selecting (install later) forever?
I am currently running version 4.5.605 rooted... with help from a friend.

bigmook
04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Wipe cache and it will stop.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

gloucesterfd2007
04-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am a super rookie.

gloucesterfd2007
04-22-2012, 01:40 PM
do you clear the browser cache or the phone cache?

gloucesterfd2007
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Disregard my last post i was able to find some info on clearing the phone cache. Now looking forward to not seeing that popup anymore. Thanks agin for the help

Einsteindks
04-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Digging, digging, digging, I have all the files needed, worked my way through all the steps. I'm stuck at the final one, to restore the rooted 621 system backup. I get a MD5 mis-match. I'M SO CLOSE!!! What is my next move? I even recreated the md5 file. Last step anyone????

Payrok
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry guys, I'm actually a little confused here. I just read the thread and i see that there are conflicting opinions on how to get a .621 rooted. Where is a complete howto thread for the .621 rooting process. I just got my ubuntu 12.04 thumbdrive built and I'm ready to go!

I decided this weekend that I wanted to get off of the stock ROM so I can have wireless tether support. After reading a thread earlier today on dxf I thought I had my mind set on Vortex but it appears that there a lot of people talking about miui. Is there a major argument for or against Vortex?

Thanks for the help!

Nemo aeternamn
04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Digging, digging, digging, I have all the files needed, worked my way through all the steps. I'm stuck at the final one, to restore the rooted 621 system backup. I get a MD5 mis-match. I'M SO CLOSE!!! What is my next move? I even recreated the md5 file. Last step anyone????

Did you rename the back up? If so take all special characters out

"I'll get you my little pretty... and your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

Goose306
04-28-2012, 01:32 PM

As Nemo said, make sure no special characters, or spaces. Failing that it may be a bad download, if you know the download is good you can rebuild the md5 file with a new md5 to match your checksum, but if you didn't mess with the file itself it should be the same (md5 checksum is safety gaurd for a reason)

Sorry guys, I'm actually a little confused here. I just read the thread and i see that there are conflicting opinions on how to get a .621 rooted. Where is a complete howto thread for the .621 rooting process. I just got my ubuntu 12.04 thumbdrive built and I'm ready to go!

I decided this weekend that I wanted to get off of the stock ROM so I can have wireless tether support. After reading a thread earlier today on dxf I thought I had my mind set on Vortex but it appears that there a lot of people talking about miui. Is there a major argument for or against Vortex?

Thanks for the help!

You can have WIFI tether support on the stock ROM as well. For a fairly comprehensive post on .621, root, SBF, kernel flashes, etc. follow the link in my signature, Important Info about .621. If you want Vortex you will need to flash the patched version using the "Blur Roms for .621" link in my sig. If you flash normal Vortex you will get bootloader errors. After an SBF to Milestone X version one will want to flash the kernel update so one is back on the true .621 system rather than the .604 Milestone X kernel. You are then free to flash whichever ROMs you want. Keep in mind if you want a Blur Rom you have to flash the patched version via the link in my sig unless you SBFing. 2nd-init (CM7/MIUI/OMFGB/SSX/Any ICS) work as expected. No special versions needed, although its still recommended you flash the kernel update.

Payrok
04-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks Goose, I'm reading up on this now.

Goose306
04-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks Goose, I'm reading up on this now.

I'm in the process of writing up a monstrous "here's the info" post for here, I'll link back here to make it a bit easier for ya'll.

EDIT: Still finishing it up. Can be found here however:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556596

mekk
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the info.

king750
05-01-2012, 11:48 PM
As Nemo said, make sure no special characters, or spaces. Failing that it may be a bad download, if you know the download is good you can rebuild the md5 file with a new md5 to match your checksum, but if you didn't mess with the file itself it should be the same (md5 checksum is safety gaurd for a reason)

You can have WIFI tether support on the stock ROM as well. For a fairly comprehensive post on .621, root, SBF, kernel flashes, etc. follow the link in my signature, Important Info about .621. If you want Vortex you will need to flash the patched version using the "Blur Roms for .621" link in my sig. If you flash normal Vortex you will get bootloader errors. After an SBF to Milestone X version one will want to flash the kernel update so one is back on the true .621 system rather than the .604 Milestone X kernel. You are then free to flash whichever ROMs you want. Keep in mind if you want a Blur Rom you have to flash the patched version via the link in my sig unless you SBFing. 2nd-init (CM7/MIUI/OMFGB/SSX/Any ICS) work as expected. No special versions needed, although its still recommended you flash the kernel update.

How do you know the. 621 kernel flashed right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums