PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change

ToeJamm57
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I have been a happy Droid X user for nearly 2 years. Verizon is offering incentives for me to upgrade. I probably wouldn't think about it but I am beginning to notice some drop-out on areas of the screen and I would really like to move into the 4G arena.

I'm leaning toward the Droid Razr Maxx. I am currently rooted (but I'm not married to the idea of having a rooted phone) running Liberty.

My question - are there any new devices coming out soon that would be worth waiting for? What are your thoughts on the Razr Maxx or other devices? Are they capping renewal plans or will I still have unlimited data?

Thanks in advance.

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
You will still have unlimited data. If battery is a major concern then the maxx is the best hands down. It hacking and latest firmware are a.priority then the galaxy nexus is best. There hasn't been much news on new devices coming to VZW. Although the Samsung Galaxy 3 might.

HarleyDude
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
and stop over, read up
Droid RAZR Forum - Motorola Droid RAZR Community (http://www.razrforums.com/)
and here
Galaxy Nexus Forum - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Community (http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/)

stewie griffin
04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
The battery life on the maxx is pretty darn good, and the phone is easy to root and debloat. There are newer phones to be released this year. The galaxy s3 is rumored to have a 1.5-2 ghz Quadcore processor, 1.5-2 gigs of rams, and 8-12 or so megapixel rear camera. No word on whether it's coming to vzw though. The rumor mill for this phone has been crazy and speculative at best, though possibly to be officially revealed on may 22. There's the Motorola DROID fighter. From what I've read, its not much different than the razr maxx with a HD 720p screen. Haven't been able to find alot of info on it otherwise though. I considered waiting till mid year before upgrading, but after playing with the phone decided this works for me lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums

ToeJamm57
04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Harley - I was stumbling through the links you provided and found Smalltowngirl13.

Droid-xer. The Maxx is due to get ICS soon isn't it? I'm not much of a hacker so that is not much of a concern. It took me nearly 8 months to get up the nerve to root my DX (no regrets thought).

ToeJamm57
04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Stewie. When it comes to technology if I keep waiting for the next best thing I would probably still have my old flip phone - lol.
Sounds like you have been pretty happy with the Maxx. If I can root it I would be happy but it is not a deal breaker for me.

The battery life on the maxx is pretty darn good, and the phone is easy to root and debloat. There are newer phones to be released this year. The galaxy s3 is rumored to have a 1.5-2 ghz Quadcore processor, 1.5-2 gigs of rams, and 8-12 or so megapixel rear camera. No word on whether it's coming to vzw though. The rumor mill for this phone has been crazy and speculative at best, though possibly to be officially revealed on may 22. There's the Motorola DROID fighter. From what I've read, its not much different than the razr maxx with a HD 720p screen. Haven't been able to find alot of info on it otherwise though. I considered waiting till mid year before upgrading, but after playing with the phone decided this works for me lol.

HarleyDude
04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Harley - I was stumbling through the links you provided and found Smalltowngirl13.

Droid-xer. The Maxx is due to get ICS soon isn't it? I'm not much of a hacker so that is not much of a concern. It took me nearly 8 months to get up the nerve to root my DX (no regrets thought).

LOL, you'll see quite a lot of familiar names at both places, feel free to join up, ya don't need to own the phone to hang out with us

Bkdodger
04-05-2012, 06:25 PM
TJ..good luck with your decision..STG is all over the place bc she has every phone out..LOL
I love my Gnex...but I've heard great things on the MaXX and you can ask STG she loves the
MaXX..It will be getting ICS very soon..Either way hit up the links and good luck..

HarleyDude
04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks Stewie. When it comes to technology if I keep waiting for the next best thing I would probably still have my old flip phone - lol.
Sounds like you have been pretty happy with the Maxx. If I can root it I would be happy but it is not a deal breaker for me.

We just got an 'official' Moto built leak of ICS on the razr, so the g-nex has nothing on the razr now, other than the unlocked bootloader. The maxx has receied a lot of dev love, there were a half dozen custom ICS ROMs before the leak dropped, so we're hoping for some really nice builds now

HarleyDude
04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
MaXX..It will be getting ICS very soon....

LOL, We got it earlier this week

Bkdodger
04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

LMAO !!! Sooner than I thought...everyone or soak test?? busy week for me trying to catch up.

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Soak test then pulled. I love my gnex. Battery shmattery! Give me stock Google! Moto does have the best build quality though.

ToeJamm57
04-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I think this forum will be hard to beat. Just scanning through some of the ones offered for Maxx I can see a lot of the chest thumping typical to many forums.

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM

LMAO !!! Sooner than I thought...everyone or soak test?? busy week for me trying to catch up.

Leak via cheesecake...soak test is for an update to GB (what???) LOL...I truly cannot see me going back to GB after running the leak ;)...

And TJ...thanks for the PM :)...good luck on the decision...

ToeJamm57
04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the response STG. It will be good to have familiar members to help me out (as they have done for me in the past) when I get into dark territory!
I think I will be leaning to the side of battery life since ICS is forthcoming.

Thanks all!

Leak via cheesecake...soak test is for an update to GB (what???) LOL...I truly cannot see me going back to GB after running the leak ;)...

And TJ...thanks for the PM :)...good luck on the decision...

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I think this forum will be hard to beat. Just scanning through some of the ones offered for Maxx I can see a lot of the chest thumping typical to many forums.

And this forum is hard to beat...they have set a standard that is hard to live up too, although we try :)...as HD said, register on the other forums - you don't need the forum to hang with us, we just appreciate the great company :)...

stewie griffin
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
And this forum is hard to beat...they have set a standard that is hard to live up too, although we try :)...as HD said, register on the other forums - you don't need the forum to hang with us, we just appreciate the great company :)...

I joined over there before I finally made my decision to go with the maxx. So far, I have been very happy with it. Stg posted a link to a root tool that very easily roots the razr/maxx. And you definitely will see some familiar faces over there!

HarleyDude
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
And the 2 links I gave you are staffed by a few of the finest we could snag away from DXF (many are doing double duty), so you will feel right at home there

stewie griffin
04-05-2012, 07:57 PM
We just got an 'official' Moto built leak of ICS on the razr, so the g-nex has nothing on the razr now, other than the unlocked bootloader. The maxx has receied a lot of dev love, there were a half dozen custom ICS ROMs before the leak dropped, so we're hoping for some really nice builds now

Have you tried the leak yet? If so, what do you think? Noticeable performance improvements?

stewie griffin
04-05-2012, 07:57 PM
And the 2 links I gave you are staffed by a few of the finest we could snag away from DXF (many are doing double duty), so you will feel right at home there

+1

The persuader
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I have been a happy Droid X user for nearly 2 years. Verizon is offering incentives for me to upgrade. I probably wouldn't think about it but I am beginning to notice some drop-out on areas of the screen and I would really like to move into the 4G arena.

I'm leaning toward the Droid Razr Maxx. I am currently rooted (but I'm not married to the idea of having a rooted phone) running Liberty.

My question - are there any new devices coming out soon that would be worth waiting for? What are your thoughts on the Razr Maxx or other devices? Are they capping renewal plans or will I still have unlimited data?

Thanks in advance.

If I were to change it would be GNexus...

Razr/Razr Max the reviews are not stellar... IMO/reviews

Its Bubba :)
"Stubborn In Your Bones "

The persuader
04-05-2012, 08:03 PM
TJ..good luck with your decision..STG is all over the place bc she has every phone out..LOL
I love my Gnex...but I've heard great things on the MaXX and you can ask STG she loves the
MaXX..It will be getting ICS very soon..Either way hit up the links and good luck..

My understanding is ICS Will not be used with the Razr....

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM

It will be, it is just a matter of when we get the final update...the ICS on my Maxx easily rivals what is running on the gNex...

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
It will be, it is just a matter of when we get the final update...the ICS on my Maxx easily rivals what is running on the gNex...

Blasphemy!!! :)

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Blasphemy!!! :)

I still like the gNex :), but the Maxx is simply amazing right now...the revamped webtop UI is great IMO, tablet like ;)...

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I know I know. Probably going to get the maxx for the wifey as it seems pretty problem free.

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
That will give ya the 2 best phones out there...will ya put the leak on it?

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Eh probably. It would have to be before she gets it though, otherwise she might not let me mess with it.

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
LOL...what is she coming from? You might want to keep it? ;)

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
The tbolt. She only let me mess with that cuz she had horrible data/signal issues. Fixed it right up, good and proper.

smalltowngirl13
04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Nice! Good luck with the Maxx if y'all go that way...it really is a great phone IMO...

Droid-Xer
04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Ya just waiting for the inevitable price drop with rumors of the Droid fighter floating around.

maybish
04-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Ahhh nice to see all the old names!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Bkdodger
04-06-2012, 05:40 AM

What my friend... Glad to see you rolling along on here... Like STG stated it will get eventually... And don't be fooled that MaXX is a great phone... Locked down and all you know we get cool stuff running on these phones...

Sent from my flashaholic Nexus..
thru Tapa2 beta5...

The persuader
04-06-2012, 10:34 AM
What my friend... Glad to see you rolling along on here... Like STG stated it will get eventually... And don't be fooled that MaXX is a great phone... Locked down and all you know we get cool stuff running on these phones...

thru Tapa2 beta5...

Ooooh... Just for you I'll be opened-minded but my next choice is Nexus
How's your Nexus Phone

"Stubborn In Your Bones"

HarleyDude
04-06-2012, 11:52 AM
How's your Nexus Phone

"Stubborn In Your Bones"

Bubba, definitely get what is going to make you happy, gnex or maxx, you gotta live with your choice. Radio and build quality, go moto. I would have said for flashing and customization, go g-nex, but it's starting to look like many of the ROMs coming out for the g-nex are being ported to the maxx also
ICS is already on the maxx via an "unofficial" leak from a Moto server. STG and some others have some screenshots posted here Install the ICS leak without Cheesecake and retain root (http://www.razrforums.com/forum/droid-razr-development/1532-install-ics-leak-without-cheesecake-retain-root.html) (page 4-5)

BTW, it is pretty awesome

ToeJamm57
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered the Maxx today. It will arrive in 2 business days.
Will I be able to populate the new phone with all of my apps from Google Play? Also, if I have saved data from any apps will it be as easy as copying over the data from my current SD card?

Droid-Xer
04-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Yep just log in and your apps should sync. And yes just drag and drop the contents of your SD to the.maxx

stewie griffin
04-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered the Maxx today. It will arrive in 2 business days.
Will I be able to populate the new phone with all of my apps from Google Play? Also, if I have saved data from any apps will it be as easy as copying over the data from my current SD card?

Back up your apps in tibu, then you can reinstall them on your maxx. Just don't back up any system apps from your dx. On the maxx, you need to set tibu to read to and write from sd-ext, not sd. For the maxx, sd is the phones internal storage, and sd-ext is the removable sd card. Took me a few minutes to figure that out with mine. Hope you enjoy your new phone

ToeJamm57
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks Droid-Xer. Thanks Stewie - as well. I figured I could use TB to do the job but the phone won't be rooted so Titanium won't be an option until that happens. I am a tinkerer but I won't be rooting the new phone until I do some reading and develop a comfort level. It would be nice if I can have most of my apps running as they have been before I root.

Thanks again.
TJ

Back up your apps in tibu, then you can reinstall them on your maxx. Just don't back up any system apps from your dx. On the maxx, you need to set tibu to read to and write from sd-ext, not sd. For the maxx, sd is the phones internal storage, and sd-ext is the removable sd card. Took me a few minutes to figure that out with mine. Hope you enjoy your new phone

HarleyDude
04-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Droid-Xer. Thanks Stewie - as well. I figured I could use TB to do the job but the phone won't be rooted so Titanium won't be an option until that happens. I am a tinkerer but I won't be rooting the new phone until I do some reading and develop a comfort level. It would be nice if I can have most of my apps running as they have been before I root.

Thanks again.
TJ

Mattigroff has made a great utility for rooting, and fastbooting (think SBF) back to stock. As easy to use as zergrush is on the X, and it's got the built in benefit of a recovery. Oh, it can also install whichever bootstrapper you want (we have 2)
STG has a good thread here http://www.razrforums.com/forum/droid-razr-development/1062-root-toolkit-razr.html

Bkdodger
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
How's your Nexus Phone

"Stubborn In Your Bones"

I'm really happy with my choice.... I know some have had issues with reception and stuff but I've not had a single drop with the Nex... It's just incredible how fast things flow thru 4G..

thru Tapa2 beta5...

popcenator
04-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm really happy with my choice.... I know some have had issues with reception and stuff but I've not had a single drop with the Nex... It's just incredible how fast things flow thru 4G..

thru Tapa2 beta5...

Update yo tapa BK

On the move..

Bkdodger
04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Update yo tapa BK

On the move..

What beta up to 6

thru Tapa2 beta5...