PDA

View Full Version : Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update

holycow131415
03-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Since info is scattered all over the place, I figured I'd condense it into one post after successfully rooting and flashing my DX to CM7. Remember, this all voids any warranty, and I'm not responsible for bricking/damaging your phone! =)

Backup

Backup everything files/whatever just to make sure. Make sure your contacts are synced with Verizon backup assistant or Google sync.
Go to market, download App List Backup and back your list of apps up to SD. After flashing you have to download it again and choose restore. It gives you the list of apps you had and direct links you to the Market to reinstall them. I wouldn’t recommend using Titanium Backup, as I read it creates bugs, besides, clean installs are always better in every situation.

Gaining Root

Go to http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
Download the .604 ISO file. It will flash android euro version milestone, and it also has ZergRush to root Milestone after its done flashing. This Linux way will leave radio alone to keep it working with Verizon.
Use imageburn/cdburnerxp or usb universal installer to make a bootable device.
Go into your computers boot menu, and select your drive (CDDVD drive or USB) that will suite your created bootable device (CD/DVD or flash drive). Boot off the image from a computer.
Allow USB Debugging mode.
Power off phone, then reboot into Bootloader (hold Camera button, Volume down, and Power til you see a flash on the screen then let off). Go ahead and plug phone into computer now
The linux CD will boot into a script. Let it do its own thing until you see a menu. From there follow the screen prompts.
After this is done, you have a rooted phone with android version 2.3.5 (newer than OTA) and the MSX kernel. You can stop here if you only want a rooted phone.

The Process to Flash CM7

Download Droid 2 Bootstrap from Market. (Yes there is a DX version, but it doesn't work well/isn't up to date)
Open Droid 2 Bootstrap and select Bootstrap Recovery, it will ask for Superuser permission.
Grant it permission; this is how you will be able to tell if you're rooted. If it errors, allow USB Debugging again, go back to the CD/Flash drive, and run ZergRush again(I had to to this).
Try to run D2 Bootstrap again to give it superuser permission. You always need to run this first before opening ROM Manager.
Install ROM Manager free version from Market. Run D2 Bootstrap again to give it root access. Open ROM Manager and install latest Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM). If a loading bar and gear spin but nothing happens, check to see if ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries (http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager) page is down. If it is, you need to wait til it comes back online. If it prompts you for phone type choose Droid X, NOT DROID X 2ND INIT.
Go to this Forum Post with DX CM7 instructions (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/).
Download CM7 from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing RandPooka (http://goo-inside.me/roms/RandPooka) , newest right now is Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120324.zip (http://goo-inside.me/roms/RandPooka/Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120324.zip) . Copy this ROM zip to your SD card
Reboot into recovery from ROM Manager
Wipe data/Factory reset (Volume keys to navigate menu, Camera button to select, power button to go back to previous menu)
Wipe Cache partition
Install ZIP from SD card
When its completed, use the power button to go back to see the reboot option.
Reboot, let the phone do its thing and get ready to set your phone up from scratch starting with signing in to your Google account.

Flash Google Apps

Go to Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps (http://goo-inside.me/gapps/)
Find a file called "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip" from Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip (http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip) .
Put the zip file on your SD, and just flash that (Install as any other Custom ROM -DON'T WIPE-) with ROM Manager and then, when you turn on the phone, you will get the default setup where Google configures your account and download Google Apps such as Market. Make sure you are in a good 3g/wifi area, as it connects to the internet to complete installation.

Reinstall App List Backup and Contacts

Go back to market, download App List Backup and restore your list of apps. It gives you the list of apps you had and direct links you to the Market to reinstall them.
During setup with Google, it should have asked permission to sync apps and contacts. Verizon Backup Assistant is not available for re-download. So if Google didn’t back up all your contacts, you need to go to the Verizon back up assistant website (https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/ba_nab/overview_def.jsp) to export a CVS file to import into Google contacts on the website (https://www.google.com/contacts/). If you have many contacts, the Verizon site will take a while to load them all on to your screen. For a while, I thought that my contacts weren’t backed up.

Other Apps

For swype: sign up and install @ http://beta.swype.com/
For Battery Life: make sure your screen brightness is all the way down, and install ROM Toolbox. Make sure to check off to use the profiles in the upper right hand corner. Battery life is actually better now than on OTA.
Alarmdroid - excellent free alarm clock, just like the stock one on OTA
Weather Widget free and weather widget forecast addon - excellent free weather widget just like OTA version.
Voice Search - To add text to speech capabilities for texting, etc.
Barnacle Wifi Tether - Free app to make your Droid x a wireless hot spot for computers to connect to for internet. Works flawlessly.

Flash Back to the .621 Kernel for Better Battery Support, Multitasking, and Other Things

As per here (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__320#entry644966), you can learn about the benefits of returning to the .621 kernel.
Download the .621 kernel @ http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45928747/604-to-621-Images-Update.zip
Connect your DX to your computer via USB, and place the zip file on your SD card.
Disconnect from your computer.
Go into rom manager, and choose the option to reboot into CWR
Choose to install zip, and choose to choose the zip. Flash it, and reboot the device after its done. That's it!, you have the newest kernel.

Enjoy! Remember, check the CM7 ROM page (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/) for updates :)

aryavat
04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I registered on the forum just to thank you for the useful info. It really saved me a lot of effort. Thanks a lot!

holycow131415
04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I registered on the forum just to thank you for the useful info. It really saved me a lot of effort. Thanks a lot!

Thanks, you are welcome! It is suprising how there arent really any consolidated guides that explain everything to make this easier for each OTA verison =D

aryavat
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
You are right.. and i have searched all major android forums. There are 100s of pages of threads on rootzwiki dealing with this..but nothing consolidated from SBF to ROMS ..

anyways...i am having an issue with CM7 that my homescreen is stuck in landscape orientation...i have tried everything in the phone settings, cm7 settings, and even reflashed CM7 ..but it stays in landscape...any ideas?
thanks

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
You are right.. and i have searched all major android forums. There are 100s of pages of threads on rootzwiki dealing with this..but nothing consolidated from SBF to ROMS ..

anyways...i am having an issue with CM7 that my homescreen is stuck in landscape orientation...i have tried everything in the phone settings, cm7 settings, and even reflashed CM7 ..but it stays in landscape...any ideas?
thanks

Ah not really, only thing I can think of is to wipe cache in CWM, and flash to the latest rom Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120330.zip (http://goo-inside.me/roms/RandPooka/Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120330.zip)

It might be better to ask here (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/) in the ROMs development post. There is alot of activity there.

aryavat
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
thanks - will check it out. Meanwhile went on to flash a liberty rom ..bricked the phone, sbfed using rsd lite (as i was already on milestone - i thought it shouldnt be a problem as it was on .621) - right now stuck on activation screen.. :(

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Umm yeah when you bricked it I would have just used the linux CD again (since youd have it anyway) to go back to milestone, and to reroot it to flash another ROM.

aryavat
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I will do that at home...i am at work and do not want to mess around with the PC as it is a huge hassle if anything goes wrong because of me messing around with the operating system. Got Admin rights after a long struggle!. Anyways - did you have to activate your phone after sbfing..if so - how did you do it...i am unfamiliar as for some strange reason i did not have to do it the first time i sbfed with linux

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I will do that at home...i am at work and do not want to mess around with the PC as it is a huge hassle if anything goes wrong because of me messing around with the operating system. Got Admin rights after a long struggle!. Anyways - did you have to activate your phone after sbfing..if so - how did you do it...i am unfamiliar as for some strange reason i did not have to do it the first time i sbfed with linux

The Linux LiveCD way doesn't touch the radio part, which leaves the activation intact with Verizon. Using RSD lite to sbf to milestone would leave you a system that only can connect to the euro providers. Youll need to reactivate before going back to milestone, which shouldnt be a big deal if you SBF to .621. remember you cannt flash to anything lower than 621 because of the bootloader.

BTW, booting off a livecd doesnt touch the hdd of a computer.

aryavat
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Understood. I thought being on 604 i could use the rsdlite.

Just to get this straight, you think i should SBF to 621 with linux and then activate it with verizon? then go about the whole process of sbfing to milestone with the linux cd and root and rom...?

Thanks BTW for the prompt replies!

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Understood. I thought being on 604 i could use the rsdlite.

Just to get this straight, you think i should SBF to 621 with linux and then activate it with verizon? then go about the whole process of sbfing to milestone with the linux cd and root and rom...?

Thanks BTW for the prompt replies!

Lol,I'm bored at work right now. What version of verizon ota did you have in the first place? i assumed you had .621 . Milestone goes off a different number system(and that is why its 604 for milestone), and we sbf to milestone because they use the same bootloader. Anyway, I would activate it now just to make sure 3g/calling/texting is working before sbfing to milestone again.

Here is the sbf file of verizon's .621 [SBF and Update] Original Gingergread 2.3.4 SBF for Droid X MB810 Verizon USA - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1517985%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3ES)

aryavat
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
thanks - i have that thread in my favorites as well.
are you suggesting i activate on the current milestone that i have or to sbf it to 621 and then activate.
if 621 first - is rsd lite ok for that or do i HAVE to do it in linux?

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
thanks - i have that thread in my favorites as well.
are you suggesting i activate on the current milestone that i have or to sbf it to 621 and then activate.
if 621 first - is rsd lite ok for that or do i HAVE to do it in linux?

Im suggesting sbf to 621 because milestone might be asking to activate on the nTelos network. you can try to activate if you want, but if it doesnt go through, then thats the reason. using rsd lite to go to 621 should be fine.

aryavat
04-05-2012, 03:40 PM
flashing the 621 as i write. hey - i have never done an update from a file. Can i flash it from RSD as well?

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
things like installing patches or gapps that come in zips is what cwm recovery is for :) I'm not sure if you can use rsd lite.

aryavat
04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
sorry to sound so naive...i knew about the CWM but wouldn't it need root access to the phone for flashing/installing anything..I just SBFed back to .621.

I guess a more pertinent q would be - do i also need to apply the update after sbfing or not?

holycow131415
04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah, going to .621 is to get you back to where you started so that you can get your radio back with verizon. Then use my guide to use the linux cd to go to milestone and then root milestone with zergrush thats on the cd. then to then flash cm7, etc etc.

aryavat
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Actually was asking, whether I needed to flash the update as well before talking to Verizon to activate. The .621 sbf alone was not letting me activate on Verizon's automated system. The cwm route for flashing the update needed me to root the phone and wanted to avoid if unnecessary, as i was going to re-do everything after activation anyways.

Anyways - i called verizon yesterday on 621 sbf, and they had to 'reprogram' (as they called it) to activate. Took quite a bit of time :).

Last night went back to milestone via linux and rooted via zergrush. Dont want to flash CM7 anymore. Rootzwiki says 2nd-init based roms are more stable on milestone.

Any suggestions/experience with other ROMS?

holycow131415
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Cool, glad you are back on a working phone.

Nope, but been looking around. i picked CM7 because it is the most active gingerbread ROM in updating right now, actually had nice install instructions by the OP for noobs, stable (not beta), and there forum is nicely structured and neat. 2nd choice would be the liberty rom from rootzwiki, but seems like it hasn't been moving anywhere. The rest are ICS roms, which are buggy beta's cause DX doesnt have drivers for everything since ICS isnt officially coming to the DX.

2nd int rom, youd only need d2bootstrapper to boot into recovery from there for 2nd int roms i think. but since you have rom manager anyway, you can use CWM too, and you are on a gb kernel, so use gb roms :)

Droid X Development - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/forum/16-droid-x-development/)

Good luck!

aryavat
04-07-2012, 06:16 PM
thanks - hey did you have problems with swype on CM7... i dont see swype in my options ...is there a way to get the stock swype back?

holycow131415
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I dont use swype, i dont think any rom has swype preinstalled. check out Swype | Text Input for Screens (http://beta.swype.com/) . Need to register, etc.

Loganhood
04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I used your easy instructions and everything worked flawlessly for me, no problems! Then I flashed CM7 like it showed. I was also wondering if there was a way to get swype back I miss it! And also my battery life is completely awful! It didn't even last 8 hours while I was at work and I sent MAYBE 15 text messages total and that was all I used it for. And I know it wasn't any background apps draining it cause I don't have any downloaded yet after the reset. Any suggestions? And also if I have to flash another ROM for better battery life which one would be best? Since I used your instructions, I also went ahead and did the CM7, but can I use any ROM I want to now that its rooted? And if I can't, which ones can I flash? Sorry for the plethora of noob questions, I'm new. But I really appreciated your post!!!

holycow131415
04-07-2012, 07:20 PM
See my above post about swype :) For battery life, make sure your screen brightness is all the way down, and install rom toolbox. I myself did notice about battery life, and here is my post Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off) - CyanogenMod [shadow] - RootzWiki - Page 410 (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/page__st__4090#entry605930) about how it improved battery. It works now just like it used to :) About flashing any ROMs, yes you can, just make sure they are for the DX and gingerbread based. If you switch from ROM to ROM, you definitely will have to factory reset/clear data and clear cache, meaning youd have to install apps each time. if you just stick with the CM7 ROM and flash its updates, the most you will need to do is clear cache, which leaves those apps alone. CM7 imo is the most stable as I said in my previous post. You can check out the progression of ICS ROMs that are being developed actively too Droid X Development - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/forum/16-droid-x-development/) but they are along way off.

Loganhood
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Awesome thanks. I love everything so far except the battery life. I bought ROM toolbox pro and set the profiles like your post showed. If the battery life improves I'll definitely stick with CM7. If it doesn't I'll try some other ROMs. And I downloaded Swype....worked like a charm!! Thanks for the help

holycow131415
04-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Awesome thanks. I love everything so far except the battery life. I bought ROM toolbox pro and set the profiles like your post showed. If the battery life improves I'll definitely stick with CM7. If it doesn't I'll try some other ROMs. And I downloaded Swype....worked like a charm!! Thanks for the help

Youre welcome, make sure the "use profiles" checkbox is checked at the right hand corner... i completely missed that when i first used it lol.

aryavat
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
went back to default milestone sbf..swype is important to me...and i had already been to the website you suggested for swype but some forum members suggested the swype beta available from that website makes a lot of typos. That is why i was looking for a way to get the stock swype back.

Loganhood
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah I found the "use profiles" box. And the swype is working perfectly! I've been using it for two years and I'm super fast at it and I reeeeeaally missed it when I got CM7 but then I downloaded the beta and everything works great!

Loganhood
04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I can't figure out how to get my phone to vibrate when I get a text tho. I've looked at all the settings and messed with em, but I can't figure it out. It'll vibrate when I get a call, so I know it's working, but it won't vibrate when I get a text.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

savagerun
04-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I can't figure out how to get my phone to vibrate when I get a text tho. I've looked at all the settings and messed with em, but I can't figure it out. It'll vibrate when I get a call, so I know it's working, but it won't vibrate when I get a text.

Messaging app > menu > settings > vibrate.

aryavat
04-08-2012, 04:29 PM
When i use wifi tether or barnacle wifi tether..it starts the tethering but connecting the laptop to it and opening any browser takes me to a verizon page saying "Your phone is not currently set up to be used as a modem or mobile hotspot" and outlines verizons hotspot plans. Opening any browser on the phone gives me the same message. It made my 3g stop working as well until i rebooted...anyone else has that issue? I am on milestone SBF rooted.

orgon3
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi. So I'm looking to root my DroidX and I've been reading up. It is currently on 4.5.621. I saw this guide for rooting and had a few questions. First off, do I lose any Verizon features by rooting to the nTelos SBF file? Once I have rooted my DroidX, can I then load ANY SBF file to it or will that brick it? If it won't brick it, which should I be using? I will eventually be switching over to CM7 (or 9), but just wanting to root for right now.

Chessnut
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes you can root but, you will not be able to go to any firmware other than. 621.

Chessnut
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes you can root but, you will not be able to go to any firmware other than. 621.

Sorry for the mistake... There's no root method yet.

holycow131415
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi. So I'm looking to root my DroidX and I've been reading up. It is currently on 4.5.621. I saw this guide for rooting and had a few questions. First off, do I lose any Verizon features by rooting to the nTelos SBF file? Once I have rooted my DroidX, can I then load ANY SBF file to it or will that brick it? If it won't brick it, which should I be using? I will eventually be switching over to CM7 (or 9), but just wanting to root for right now.

When using this linux method in my OP, the instructions will tell you to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, meaning yes you will lose verizon apps and features like backup assistant. You wont be able to reinstall them from the market. You can flash to any ROM that supports gingerbread. CM7 is the one in this thread that is continued to be developed by the community for DX. CM9 for DX is also being developed on the site as well, but has alot more bugs still.

Sorry for the mistake... There's no root method yet.

This thread is all about successfully rooting from 621 update. It involves SFBing to milestone first. Then you use zergrush on the cd to root milestone.

holycow131415
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Make sure vibrate is on for the whole system too.

When i use wifi tether or barnacle wifi tether..it starts the tethering but connecting the laptop to it and opening any browser takes me to a verizon page saying "Your phone is not currently set up to be used as a modem or mobile hotspot" and outlines verizons hotspot plans. Opening any browser on the phone gives me the same message. It made my 3g stop working as well until i rebooted...anyone else has that issue? I am on milestone SBF rooted.

I am not having that problem, but i am on CM7 not milestone. Dunno if that makes a difference.

Chessnut
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for straighten it out Holycow.

orgon3
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
When using this linux method in my OP, the instructions will tell you to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, meaning yes you will lose verizon apps and features like backup assistant. You wont be able to reinstall them from the market. You can flash to any ROM that supports gingerbread. CM7 is the one in this thread that is continued to be developed by the community for DX. CM9 for DX is also being developed on the site as well, but has alot more bugs still.

This thread is all about successfully rooting from 621 update. It involves SFBing to milestone first. Then you use zergrush on the cd to root milestone.

I only lose that if I use a custom rom, not if I just root, right?

holycow131415
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I only lose that if I use a custom rom, not if I just root, right?

Well if you look at the pictures towards the bottom on the page where you download the linux ISO, youll see it will tell you to wipe data/factory restore and clear cache because you are not just rooting, but going to a different version (aka milestone), and then rooting milestone. You will lose the apps.

Loganhood
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
After the reboot I got my contacts back when I synced to Google, but how do I get the ones back that I saved on Verizon backup assistant?

stoph8n24
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
looks promising will give it a go

holycow131415
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
After the reboot I got my contacts back when I synced to Google, but how do I get the ones back that I saved on Verizon backup assistant?

Reread my OP dude.

Reinstall App List Backup and Contacts

Go back to market, download App List Backup and restore your list of apps. It gives you the list of apps you had and direct links you to the Market to reinstall them.
During setup with Google, it should have asked permission to sync apps and contacts. Verizon Backup Assistant is not available for re-download. So if Google didn’t back up all your contacts, you need to go to the Verizon back up assistant website (https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/ba_nab/overview_def.jsp) to export a CVS file to import into Google contacts on the website (https://www.google.com/contacts/). If you have many contacts, the Verizon site will take a while to load them all on to your screen. For a while, I thought that my contacts weren’t backed up.

darkenfo
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks a lot, great guide. I just switched to CM7 no problems other then the google play store force quitting on me every now and again.

I used Titanium Backup, combined with my Google backups, I have basically everything up to working order in about an hour. Now I'm just getting used to CM7! Next step, get Boot Manager to work and dual boot with CM9!

holycow131415
04-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks a lot, great guide. I just switched to CM7 no problems other then the google play store force quitting on me every now and again.

I used Titanium Backup, combined with my Google backups, I have basically everything up to working order in about an hour. Now I'm just getting used to CM7! Next step, get Boot Manager to work and dual boot with CM9!

Awesome. I am still amazed at how fast CM7 is compared to .621 stock :)

newmanx4
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM
You can now flash the Droid X kernel to you're rooted .604/.621 phone. It's a bit snappier than the Milestone kernel and battery life is better.

Info and download: IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWiki - Page 33
(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__320#entry644966)
Download only: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986
(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986)
Just wipe cache and flash and you have the .621 kernel instead of the Milestone .604 kernel.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU TOOK THE OTA .621 UPDATE FROM VERIZON AND ROOTED USING THE .604/.621 METHOD!!
IF YOU ARE RUNNING .602 OR .605 AND FLASH THIS KERNEL YOU WILL BE STUCK ON .621!!

Flaman37
04-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I used the method posted here, and it worked flawlessly... I used the milestone x ROM for a few days I then flashed the new Ics rom.. It is super sweet.. I just wish I could get a faster kernel.. The radio was never touched by the Linux method... After you flash the milestone x ROM and flash the new ROM of your choice.. You have to wipe both the data and cache.. Or else it will get stuck in a boot loop.. It its nice to have rooted droid again.. Thanks to all who worked on this and figured it out..

New_Here
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Question regarding this method. When I boot up the cd and it runs it's setup and then brings up the menu, there are 3 options. SBF with option to root later, root only and then another one (can't remember). I tried to click on the 1st one and it said I needed to log in and I do not have that info. The 2nd option tells me to reboot my phone and set to PC mode, but your instructions say to be in bootloader. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eta: I got it to work. I think I accidentally hit F1 instead of 1 so that is why it was asking for a login...

polarbehr
05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I was able to set him ^^ straight through some emails

New_Here
05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Ok. Got it to works and am now rooted. I have lost my "My Verizon Mobile" app and when I try to download it again after the factory reset it says "this item is not available by your carrier" and a couple of others that I used. I see your post about going to Verizon's Backup Assistance site and I need to do that because all of my contacts didn't sync back either and I can't get this back on my phone. Am I not even on Verizon anymore? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am when it comes to this. I just want to make sure I'm not bouncing off some foreign system and making my rates go through the roof. I also had a game that will not play and says it isn't compatible with my device.

Polar, thank you for the help earlier.

king750
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
You can now flash the Droid X kernel to you're rooted .604/.621 phone. It's a bit snappier than the Milestone kernel and battery life is better.

Info and download: IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWiki - Page 33
(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__320#entry644966)
Download only: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986
(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986)
Just wipe cache and flash and you have the .621 kernel instead of the Milestone .604 kernel.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU TOOK THE OTA .621 UPDATE FROM VERIZON AND ROOTED USING THE .604/.621 METHOD!!
IF YOU ARE RUNNING .602 OR .605 AND FLASH THIS KERNEL YOU WILL BE STUCK ON .621!!

So would I have to back any thing up before I wipe cache and flash? Thanks

Goose306
05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Ok. Got it to works and am now rooted. I have lost my "My Verizon Mobile" app and when I try to download it again after the factory reset it says "this item is not available by your carrier" and a couple of others that I used. I see your post about going to Verizon's Backup Assistance site and I need to do that because all of my contacts didn't sync back either and I can't get this back on my phone. Am I not even on Verizon anymore? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am when it comes to this. I just want to make sure I'm not bouncing off some foreign system and making my rates go through the roof. I also had a game that will not play and says it isn't compatible with my device.

Polar, thank you for the help earlier.

First, your still on Verizon. Don't worry about data rates or any of that junk, it doesn't matter. Your plan is the same and your still on Verizon towers. Your radio is what dictates that and your radio is still Verizon. Its just the actual OS/ROM is nTelos, which is a European/Canadian carrier. But it won't jack with your rates regardless.

Now, if you want stock rooted you should follow the post here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556596
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556596)
Read through it, then go to the second post and get the .621 kernel to flash. Put it on your SDCard. (The entire .zip file) Now also grab the file linked here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556937

And grab the .621 nandroid. Unzip it. (On your PC)

Make sure you have Clockworkmod installed. If you don't, follow these steps:

Get Droid 2 Bootstrap (Market, it'll be a couple $$ but its necessary)

Go in, hit Bootstrap Recovery. Grant Superuser permissions.

Go back to Market, get ROM Manager (free)

Open it, hit Update Clockwork Recovery. Choose Droid 2. Grant it Superuser and wait till it says its updated.

Now take that entire unzipped file from earlier (then one you downloaded called 621nandroid) and put it on the SDCard/clockwork/backup directory.

In ROM Manager, choose to go to Recovery.

Now in Recovery if you want to do a backup before any further, go to Backup/Restore and hit Backup.

Go back in hit Wipe Data/Factory Reset. - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IMPORTANT APPS, ETC backed up before this, as you are going back to factory essentially.

Wipe cache.

Wipe Dalvik (Its under Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache)

Go back to Backup/Restore, this time choose Restore, and choose the 621nandroid to restore.

Let it do its thing.

After its done choose Install zip from SDCard.

Choose the kernel zip.

Let it do its thing.

Reboot.

BAM! .621, Verizon, stock, rooted (besides the boot animation, lol) so you can have the My Verizon apps and that sorta stuff if you want/need it.

So would I have to back any thing up before I wipe cache and flash? Thanks

No. In fact I'm 95% positive a cache wipe isn't needed either, but I haven't tried it without it. Usually for flashing kernels on non-Moto devices no wipes are needed, pretty sure its the same here.

Even if you were to nandroid, nandroids don't keep kernels (at least for the DX) so it doesn't really matter.

New_Here
05-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Goose. I actually have the Droid 3 bootstrap from the first time I rooted with Sousas (sp?) one click and it worked fine. I will go get the Droid 2 one though. Thanks again for your help!

Goose306
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Goose. I actually have the Droid 3 bootstrap from the first time I rooted with Sousas (sp?) one click and it worked fine. I will go get the Droid 2 one though. Thanks again for your help!

Droid 3? That works? *Shrugs* news to me.

If you had Droid 3 working you could feasibly still use it. If you install Droid 3 Bootstrap then do the Bootstrap Recovery, then go into Clockwork and update Clockwork with the Droid 2 binaries, it'll be fine. I do that with my Droid X Boostrap. I'd paid for that back on Froyo when it actually worked and so now when I install I install Droid X bootstrap and then use ROM Manager to update it to Droid 2 Bootstrap. Works fine that way, I'd assume if your Droid 3 Bootstrap was working fine on stock before then doing the same thing would probably work, though I've never tried it.

king750
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
First, your still on Verizon. Don't worry about data rates or any of that junk, it doesn't matter. Your plan is the same and your still on Verizon towers. Your radio is what dictates that and your radio is still Verizon. Its just the actual OS/ROM is nTelos, which is a European/Canadian carrier. But it won't jack with your rates regardless.

Now, if you want stock rooted you should follow the post here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556596
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556596)
Read through it, then go to the second post and get the .621 kernel to flash. Put it on your SDCard. (The entire .zip file) Now also grab the file linked here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html#post556937

And grab the .621 nandroid. Unzip it. (On your PC)

Make sure you have Clockworkmod installed. If you don't, follow these steps:

Get Droid 2 Bootstrap (Market, it'll be a couple $$ but its necessary)

Go in, hit Bootstrap Recovery. Grant Superuser permissions.

Go back to Market, get ROM Manager (free)

Open it, hit Update Clockwork Recovery. Choose Droid 2. Grant it Superuser and wait till it says its updated.

Now take that entire unzipped file from earlier (then one you downloaded called 621nandroid) and put it on the SDCard/clockwork/backup directory.

In ROM Manager, choose to go to Recovery.

Now in Recovery if you want to do a backup before any further, go to Backup/Restore and hit Backup.

Go back in hit Wipe Data/Factory Reset. - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IMPORTANT APPS, ETC backed up before this, as you are going back to factory essentially.

Wipe cache.

Wipe Dalvik (Its under Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache)

Go back to Backup/Restore, this time choose Restore, and choose the 621nandroid to restore.

Let it do its thing.

After its done choose Install zip from SDCard.

Choose the kernel zip.

Let it do its thing.

Reboot.

BAM! .621, Verizon, stock, rooted (besides the boot animation, lol) so you can have the My Verizon apps and that sorta stuff if you want/need it.

No. In fact I'm 95% positive a cache wipe isn't needed either, but I haven't tried it without it. Usually for flashing kernels on non-Moto devices no wipes are needed, pretty sure its the same here.

Even if you were to nandroid, nandroids don't keep kernels (at least for the DX) so it doesn't really matter.

I've flashed CM7 on to my Droid x so I was wondering.

New_Here
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Droid 3? That works? *Shrugs* news to me.
It seems to. When I rooted the first time a friend told me to use it and I asked if I should use the 2 or 3 and he said the 3 would work and suggested I use it. He writes apps for android in his spare time so I trusted him. It let me root and use that for booting into recovery. Never had an issue. I had no idea I was supposed to be using 2.

towbiz
05-01-2012, 06:56 PM
You must mean droid3 root script and droid2 bootstrap?

New_Here
05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I have the droid 3 bootstrap. I was told to get it last year when I rooted the first time. I'm not sure about script...

lakusfs
05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
First of all thank you so much for the helpful guide. I've been a rooted user for some time, so I luckily didn't have my phone hosed by .621, but your instructions still worked perfectly for flashing CM7 on .605 SBF. I am SO glad to be rid of blur! Keep up the great work!

The only thing I have found missing so far is in account types. On Blur (and other versions of CM7/CM9 I'ved used on my touchpad) there's an account type called Email that is for synchronizing po3/imap email accounts. The only two account types I could add when I flashed were Corporate and Google. Is there any way to add that Email account type? I know I can just download K9 or some other program, but I really like having the mail in the "native" inbox.

I did do a search before posting and didn't find anything on this issue specifically. If it's already been answered, my apologies and please point me to the proper post/forum.

Thanks in advance!

[edit] Of course as soon as one posts a question one finds the answer on the very next search :)
Here's what I found:
I downloaded a "fixed email.apk" from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1067631. Once this applied, it erased (as planned) any email accounts currently configured. I went into accounts, still no type of Email to add. However, when I actually launched the email client, it prompted me to add an account and gave me IMAP/POP3/Exchange possibilities. Configured POP3, went back into accounts and created a Corporate account to my work exchange, and now I have both emails in the universal inbox. I suspect that this procedure would have worked before I installed the patch, but I am so used to configuring all my accounts through settings/accounts that I already had the Corporate mail set up before I ever launched the email app, and at that point it wouldnt let me add new accounts there. Anyway, hope this helps anyone else that's possibly having this issue.

costar89
05-31-2012, 03:26 AM
thx bro, im using your guide and now my dx on cm7,
but, can i use another costum rom but not back on stock rom .621?

---------------------------
sory i have bad english...

holycow131415
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
thx bro, im using your guide and now my dx on cm7,
but, can i use another costum rom but not back on stock rom .621?

---------------------------
sory i have bad english...

Yes you can. Download the other rom that you want, put it on your sd card. Use rom manager to reboot into CWM recovery. Youll prob need to wipe cache, Wipe data/Factory reset. Then install the rom by navigating to install zip. Keep in mind, youll need to reinstall all your apps, gaaps, etc if you keep hoping around ROM to ROM.

Pilky
06-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Almost there, just have a couple questions.

I used the USB route and got prompted with the following choices under UNetbootin:

slitaz
web
zeb
us

I looked in the other thread that you linked and seen the instructions to go with slitaz. (might want to include that in your original post to cut down on any confusion others may have)

The question I have is after that menu, it asks if you either want to 1. SBF with option to root later 2. Root only 3. Shutdown

Are the options as simple as they appear? If i were to select option 2, what exactly happens? Will i have a Droid X that's rooted on .621?

In the end a "go with this option" will be fine, just curious as to what the differences are in our (stuck on .621) case.

Thanks again for the very noob friendly guide, I look forward to rooting my Droid X because of it! :)

DirtyDroid
06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Almost there, just have a couple questions.

I used the USB route and got prompted with the following choices under UNetbootin:

slitaz
web
zeb
us

I looked in the other thread that you linked and seen the instructions to go with slitaz. (might want to include that in your original post to cut down on any confusion others may have)

The question I have is after that menu, it asks if you either want to 1. SBF with option to root later 2. Root only 3. Shutdown

Are the options as simple as they appear? If i were to select option 2, what exactly happens? Will i have a Droid X that's rooted on .621?

In the end a "go with this option" will be fine, just curious as to what the differences are in our (stuck on .621) case.

Thanks again for the very noob friendly guide, I look forward to rooting my Droid X because of it! :)

Yea, the options are that simple, 1KDS made it as user friendly as possible..the on-screen instructions continue also after each step, and if your on 621 currently, I don't think that anything will happen if you just choose to root...you need to choose option 1, sbf to 604, then .then you can root it, then once thats finished, choose the shut down. option..Just make sure you have a full battery and 20 minutes of time, and youll be good to go

Goose306
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
"20 minutes of time" usually equates to me going and getting myself a beer whenever I have to do this operation... ;)

And yeah just to confirm what DD said, Operation 1, then Operation 2. SBF is required first, .621 standalone is still as-of-this-point unrootable, which is why we have to go back to the .604 MX (even though its a newer Android version... figures). If you get some issues with the root portion after its SBF'd boot out of the CD to normal Windows and just download the Zergrush v4 shell script from XDA and run it in Windows. The CD roots me 9 times out of 10, but for whatever reason sometimes it doesn't take, but its never failed me running the shell script. Might have something to do with my computer on my end though.

Pilky
06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the clarification guys.

It's funny you say that Goose! I did step 1 followed by step 2 and was having issues getting root... I tried it again and got it the second time haha.

Think i might try out CM7 but to be honest I was happy with the stock .621 just hated all the extra software they put on it.

Pilky
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Well after running .604 for about a day and a half, I think I'm either going to try that method to go back to .621 (rooted) or give CM7 a shot. I'm pretty sure I notice a difference in battery life since going to .604.

Other then that it's nice to be rooted again :)

Pilky
06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
You guys are the best :excited:

http://i.imgur.com/LWwFz.png

Going to run with CM7 for a while and see how it goes.

newmanx4
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
If that is Pooka's CM7 you'll be very pleased with it. I run the ICS ROMs periodically but I always come back to this one because everything just works.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pilky
06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
If that is Pooka's CM7 you'll be very pleased with it. I run the ICS ROMs periodically but I always come back to this one because everything just works.

Yep, it's Pooka's. I remember you recommending it to me in another thread. This past weekend was rainy so i finally got around to doing it all.

TheAlphaGeek
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
*Mac Users* You can use the ISO in Parallels and run this without ever leaving the desktop. When you plug in your phone, OS X gives you the option of which OS to pair it to, even with Charge Only selected. I haven't completed this, but I will post when complete. I am a tech geek from way back, but unfortunately waited too long to experiment with my DX!

Update 1: ISO from Parallels worked. No root on first try. Re-running ZergRush.

Update 2: Good to go. Trying Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120519 (http://goo.im/roms/RandPooka/Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120519.zip) since it is the latest. Main page states 20120324. The fun continues...

Update 3: Holy crap this is great! Thank you so much for the concise HOWTO. Just reloading apps now. Love my "new" phone.

TheAlphaGeek
06-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Went all the way and flashed the .621 kernel. Zero problems and this is my first time doing any of this (although I have been in IT for over 20 years). Great job on the guide.

stoph8n24
06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Followed ur steps a while back n successfully got to CM7 from .621, my question is I guess, can I flash the .621 kernel while using CM7 or should I revert back to .604?? Would it effect the rom at all I guess... thanks n great work ppl!

newmanx4
06-06-2012, 03:21 PM
You're actually on .604 right now. You can go ahead and flash the .621 kernel in Recovery. Don't wipe anything, just flash it. It won't have any ill effect on the ROM. It will gain you some speed navigating menus and a little better battery life.

Goose306
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Followed ur steps a while back n successfully got to CM7 from .621, my question is I guess, can I flash the .621 kernel while using CM7 or should I revert back to .604?? Would it effect the rom at all I guess... thanks n great work ppl!

You can flash the kernel over CM7. Its just base-level firmware stuff, won't mess with CM7 at all.

stoph8n24
06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Think I tried it, can't tell if it went thru, looked at about n it all looks the same ..... ideas on knowing if it installed correctly??

Pilky
06-06-2012, 09:36 PM
You're actually on .604 right now. You can go ahead and flash the .621 kernel in Recovery. Don't wipe anything, just flash it. It won't have any ill effect on the ROM. It will gain you some speed navigating menus and a little better battery life.

You can flash the kernel over CM7. Its just base-level firmware stuff, won't mess with CM7 at all.

So .604 (milestone), CM7, and .621 aren't all the same thing? To break it down into layman's terms... I was under the impression that those were all "operating systems" for the phone.

zudnik
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
i recently got a replacement droidx and was now on .621 i followed the op to go to milestone x then root , when i flashed cm7 i found that i wasn't receiving incoming calls, they would go straight to voicemail as if the phone wasn't turned on. did i activate the phone too soon?? i think i activated it when i gained root then went to cm7. i sbf'ed then root didn't go to cm7 and all is good now. i liked cm7 but don't know what i did wrong. thanx for any help!!

newmanx4
06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Sometimes when you flash a ROM you have to dial *228 option 1 to program the phone and make things like that work right.

zudnik
06-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I did that while on cm7 to no avail , mybe it was just a fluke and i should try it again. i did notice after sbf'ing and rooting then program phone when i open browser it opens in google search with the European nteleos?? in the address bar or whatever the name of that network is. just seems odd??

newmanx4
06-09-2012, 10:32 PM
That's odd. Check About Phone>Baseband Version. Are the last three characters 15P?

king750
06-10-2012, 12:28 AM
I've got a question, I rooted my .621 Droid x this way and flashed a couple of Tom's but mine says it's on .605 now. Is it supposed to be like that? I'm currently running the latest liberty Tom.

stoph8n24
06-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Think I tried it, can't tell if it went thru, looked at about n it all looks the same ..... ideas on knowing if it installed correctly??

Anything about this??

Goose306
06-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Anything about this??

Kernel number should be different, what's it saying under About Phone?

Sent from my Wiz Wiz MIUI!

Goose306
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Pic attached is. 621 kernel:

http://img.tapatalk.com/aee8878b-49b5-6233.jpg

Pilky
06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
You have way more available memory then me :(

Goose306
06-10-2012, 10:53 PM
You have way more available memory then me :(

LOL! Well played sir

stoph8n24
06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Pic attached is. 621 kernel:

http://img.tapatalk.com/aee8878b-49b5-6233.jpg

Thank u, this helped n matched

zudnik
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
yes i was on 15p and all available settings were checked for sound , ringtone, and volume. in looking at the original op i did flash bacck to the .621 kernel AFTER i flashed cm7, was this where i screwed up looks as tho i should've flashed this after root then go to cm7?? thanx for any help :-))

zudnik
06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
just read some of the previous posts in this thread,(should've a little closer LOL) and see it shouldn't make a diff, thanx!! cm7 working fine for me now, will try flashing .621 kernel and see if all is well. not sure what happened first time around?? oh well :-))

chaser209
06-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the great guide.

I am having an issue with the brightness settings. When I uncheck autobrightness and use the slider, the setting only holds until the phone is locked/screen turns off. Once i wake the phone up, it's back to auto brightness. Any ideas? I flashed the newest version 5/19, on the .621 kernel.

newmanx4
06-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Its an issue with the 5-19 build.

chaser209
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok, so I seem to be getting terrible battery life. I followed the instructions and flashed to 5/19 version and the. 621 kernel. Battery seems to be draining about twice as fast, as I'm typing this I'm losing about 1% every 2 mins, but I've seen even worse drops. Any recommendations?

edit: Something's definitely got to be wrong. Just saw the phone drop from 34% directly to 20% while doing some light browsing...

newmanx4
06-14-2012, 12:54 AM
How old is your battery? A battery jump like you're describing usually means it's time for a new battery.

chaser209
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
It's the original battery, so it's probably about 2 years old; I suppose it could be the battery, but i wasn't experiencing the jumps on stock .621, and was still making it 12-15 hours of moderate use before having to charge.

I SBF'd back to .604 and flashed everything over again - will see how it goes today. Its been off the charger for about 2.5 hours with light use and is down to 93%.

One thing I just noticed though when checking battery usage - although the phone has been off the charger for 2.5 hours, the phone says it's been off for only 15 minutes. Do I need to reset battery stats or anything other settings?

jeff5347
06-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Morning guys. I was wondering if there is anyone that may be able to answer some questions. I had a dx which was on a vortex rc1 build w .605. Well it went bonky and i had to have a new one sent out thru verizon and it came preinstalled w .621. Not happy. So i dont have any root or anything like what i have been used to. So i was lookig to see on rooting the 621 and i know since im on it i cant go to 605 or anything previous and was gonna do the 6.4 milestone to get root.

This is where im at. I downloaded and burnt 1kds's iso to a dvd. I went into the boot on the comp and once it runs thru what it needs it gives me
1. sbf with ability to root later
2.root only
3. exit.

So i hit one and enter and it puts me into slitab. I thought once i hit 1 it would do its thing but now since it goes into the slitab desktop and such im lost. Should i be entering #1 to sbf and ability to root later. And if so once i get into the slitab what do i do from there. I have flashed and rooted before but always from RSDlite.

Also once i get the milestone will i still have the 621 .15 kernal or do i need to flash that. I already saved the 621 kernal form the first page to my sd card for future use. Also after sbfing to milestone will it automatically give me root or do i need to go back after clicking #1 and click #2 to "root only" and will i still be on verizon and be able to make calls, wifi, 3g, ect.

Sorry if thsui has been covered but i have been up most of the night trying to see what i am doing wrong. Thanks

Edit: Meant .15p radio and kernal. Will i still have the 15p radio and kernal when sbfd to milestone and not can i get those back?

newmanx4
06-21-2012, 10:43 PM
First I would reburn the disk. When you select 1 and hit enter it should automatically begin the SBF process to put you on Milestone .604. After it finishes select 2 and follow the on screen instructions to root.

When that is done you will still have the .15p radio, but you will have the .604 kernel. If you want the .621 kernel you will need to flash it in Clockwork Recovery. Do you know the steps to take to get Clockwork once you're rooted?

Sent from my AOKP'd DROID X

ThatGuyFromTV
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Good evening. I am new to the community and wanted to thank everyone who put this tutorial together and contributed to this thread. It has been very helpful for me. I had JUST acquired root access on my DX when the .621 update came down in the middle of the night and I awoke and foolishly gave it the okay to update. I was quite disappointed until finding this thread some weeks later.

I have noticed a few problems and cannot find anything about one of them in this thread. My bluetooth connection to my Ford Sync system no longer behaves normally. Two major issues: 1) Sync will no longer read (or even acknowledge) incoming SMS messages and 2) Sync often drops the voice call so that I have to pick up the handset to hear it. Turning bluetooth off on the phone causes Sync to show I'm "in privacy mode" as it normally would and turning bluetooth back on brings the call into the car's speakers. It's highly annoying as I make about 90% of my calls when I'm in the car and I hate driving with a phone in my hands. I thought I had read about BT stack issues a few months ago when I first started researching it but cannot find that info now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again!

mark

Goose306
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Good evening. I am new to the community and wanted to thank everyone who put this tutorial together and contributed to this thread. It has been very helpful for me. I had JUST acquired root access on my DX when the .621 update came down in the middle of the night and I awoke and foolishly gave it the okay to update. I was quite disappointed until finding this thread some weeks later.

I have noticed a few problems and cannot find anything about one of them in this thread. My bluetooth connection to my Ford Sync system no longer behaves normally. Two major issues: 1) Sync will no longer read (or even acknowledge) incoming SMS messages and 2) Sync often drops the voice call so that I have to pick up the handset to hear it. Turning bluetooth off on the phone causes Sync to show I'm "in privacy mode" as it normally would and turning bluetooth back on brings the call into the car's speakers. It's highly annoying as I make about 90% of my calls when I'm in the car and I hate driving with a phone in my hands. I thought I had read about BT stack issues a few months ago when I first started researching it but cannot find that info now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again!

mark

You having those issues on stock or did you root and ROM it?

Sent from my secret shadow build...

ThatGuyFromTV
06-28-2012, 12:52 AM
You having those issues on stock or did you root and ROM it?

Sent from my secret shadow build...

I performed the steps in this very thread. The Milestone flash to get around the .621 lockdown. I'm running CyanogenMod7 build date April 27, 2012. I don't see a radio version on the "about" screen. Does this help?

Thank you for replying.

nojogray
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I ran through the whole process and evrything went super smooth. However I have been having problems with apps not running correctly such as not being able to play media files, nothing will show up in the gallery, the ringtones won't work. My nook tablet is running CM7 and all of these things work fine. Does anyone know what is happening?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

newmanx4
07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
What ROM did you flash? Did you flash the correct Gapps?

Sent from my Liquid DROID X

nojogray
07-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I used the ROM listed as most up to date on rootzwiki and the gapps listed in the OP

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

newmanx4
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Use this CM7. 5-19 is the latest build.

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/10191-Updated-Info-On-RevNumbers-CM4DX-GB(5/22/2012,-HDMI-Out,-1%-Battery,-No-Charge-LED,-FM-radio,-Charge-While-Off)

Barrelcam
07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
it asks me for a username and a password?

nojogray
07-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Use this CM7. 5-19 is the latest build.

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/10191-Updated-Info-On-RevNumbers-CM4DX-GB(5/22/2012,-HDMI-Out,-1%-Battery,-No-Charge-LED,-FM-radio,-Charge-While-Off)

I tried re-flashing the ROM and some of the bugs went away but most are still there. The only thing I did different from the OP was that I used Titanium Backup to restore all of my apps/data. Should I do a full wipe and re-flash? Thanks for the help

newmanx4
07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Did you do a full wipe before flashing this ROM? If not you need to.

And to make sure you have the right Gapps.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Flashing the wrong ones will create problems like you're describing.

nojogray
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Did you do a full wipe before flashing this ROM? If not you need to.

And to make sure you have the right Gapps.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Flashing the wrong ones will create problems like you're describing.

I was using the right zip files so I did a complete data wipe and re-flashed both. Everything works fine now. It must have been my use of TiBu to try to restore everything. I guess I should have followed the OP to the letter. Thanks for all of the help.

newmanx4
07-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Glad you got it working. Enjoy!

Sent from my Liquid X

Railpirate
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I am posting to say THANK YOU for such a concise, no loose-ends guide to rooting my Dx from .621 OTA via 1Kds to .604Mx. I was on the net and You Tube for 3 days trying to condense all the info into one definitive op list and then "Viola!" I found your thread and was on .604 and rooted in approx. 12 minutes, well done my friend!! I have one point of order to inquire on if I may, after reversion and root, Mx has .604 Kernel, as I read your guide you indicate to use Rom Mgr to flash other ROM's, I understand how this goes but do I need to take the .621 Kernel flash PRIOR TO flashing new ROM's? I have read elsewhere that some Blur-based ROM's take exception to the .604 Kernel and the .621 Kernel flash should be done PRIOR to flashing the new ROM's. Thank you again for sharing such a complete and definitive guide with us :big smile:

newmanx4
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
You can flash the .621 kernel at any time.

As far as blur based ROM's go, they have to be compatible with .621 to work. Only a few have been ported. There's a link around here somewhere for that. Or you can just go with ICS.

Here's the link for blur based ROM's

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44031

Sent from my Liquid X

Barrelcam
07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I got to the screen were you click 1, 2 or 3 and i clicked 1 it started working for a little bit but then it said >>waiting for phone and i waited for it to recongnize my phone but it never did (i waited probaly 20 minutes) does anyone else have this problem or a fix to it

-THANKS

newmanx4
07-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Was your phone on the bootloader screen at that time?

Sent from my Liquid X

Barrelcam
07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Was your phone on the bootloader screen at that time?

Sent from my Liquid X
yep after i waited i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it still didnt do anything i might try another program to make a bootable device and see if that works

star73
08-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for this excellent thread. However, I am stuck at a particular point and need some help. I followed this guide as is and was able to move to Milestone, .604 from .621 stock rom and kernel. However, when I try to install the CM7 zip from SD card after wiping everything, it gets stuck at Trying to copy ROM recovery and stays there. When I reboot, I can reboot into .604 with all data wiped out but how do I go to CM7? Kindly help.

star73
08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for this excellent thread. However, I am stuck at a particular point and need some help. I followed this guide as is and was able to move to Milestone, .604 from .621 stock rom and kernel. However, when I try to install the CM7 zip from SD card after wiping everything, it gets stuck at Trying to copy ROM recovery and stays there. When I reboot, I can reboot into .604 with all data wiped out but how do I go to CM7? Kindly help.

The correct message where it is stuck is as follows:
Replacing stock recovery with clockworkMod recovery...

Flaman37
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
The correct message where it is stuck is as follows:Replacing stock recovery with clockworkMod recovery... I had this happen with miui.. I had to wipe casches also dalvik.. And all... The other possibility is that the ROM u downloaded was corrupted in the download process..

Flaman37
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for this excellent thread. However, I am stuck at a particular point and need some help. I followed this guide as is and was able to move to Milestone, .604 from .621 stock rom and kernel. However, when I try to install the CM7 zip from SD card after wiping everything, it gets stuck at Trying to copy ROM recovery and stays there. When I reboot, I can reboot into .604 with all data wiped out but how do I go to CM7? Kindly help. I had this happen with miui.. I had to wipe casches also dalvik.. And all... The other possibility is that the ROM u downloaded was corrupted in the download process..

simsypoo
08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Has anyone had this problem before? After .621 stock installed OTA, phone would not get past bootloader. I pulled battery, and I CAN get into Recovery, but the volume rocker buttons don't work at all, so I can't navigate to wipe cache, data, etc. Power button works to select, but phone is bricked until I can navigate freely within recovery.

newmanx4
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, the .621 OTA update bricked your phone. If that's the case its a pretty common issue. I take it you are not rooted. If not you have a couple of options. You can SBF the stock .621 system yourself using RSD Lite, or you can take it to a Verizon store and they can do it.

Sent from my Black Iced X

simsypoo
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, the .621 OTA update bricked your phone. If that's the case its a pretty common issue. I take it you are not rooted. If not you have a couple of options. You can SBF the stock .621 system yourself using RSD Lite, or you can take it to a Verizon store and they can do it.

That's correct. I've already SBF'd the sucker 5 times, and each time it only gets to the bootloader, when I pull battery and launch to recovery, the volume buttons do not navigate.

newmanx4
08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
When you say boot to recovery, are you getting the screen with Andy the Android and a ! in a triangle?

Pilky
09-09-2012, 07:49 AM
At this point does it make sense to upgrade to 7.2.0? I was just browsing around and seen this:

CyanogenMod Downloads (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=shadow&type=stable)

newmanx4
09-09-2012, 09:25 AM
You could try it out. I've not heard of many people around here running it.

GoCliffGo05
09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
It never hurts to try out all the Roms you can. If you are comfortable with flashing then give it a shot. Just because it's older doesn't mean you wont like it. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

holycow131415
09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
At this point does it make sense to upgrade to 7.2.0? I was just browsing around and seen this:

CyanogenMod Downloads (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=shadow&type=stable)

Is it for GB or froyo kernel? I thought official cyanogenmod roms are for froyo only.

Pilky
09-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Is it for GB or froyo kernel? I thought official cyanogenmod roms are for froyo only.

Good question. Being new to this I overlooked that. Probably no one here has used it.

Polyknikes
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Hey thanks for the great thread. Good info here.

My problem is that I can't find the CM7 file for download. The links in this thread no longer lead to the file and I can't find it elsewhere.

Anybody have a link they can give me?

Thanks

newmanx4
09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpjmek31qw7sqm3/Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120519.zip

Polyknikes
09-15-2012, 02:48 PM
You are awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

cgeitgey
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
What about the gapps? Are they still the same ones listed earlier in the thread?

newmanx4
11-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes. Still the same.

Nevin
05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Is there any way we could get a re-up of this? I've recently come across a Droid X I've been trying different ROMs on and would like to give this build a shot. Thank you.

-Nevin

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpjmek31qw7sqm3/Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120519.zip

sd_shadow
05-29-2013, 04:32 PM
should be a copy of 520 in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X (MB810) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZtlBNvzefJXL1QAM5FJWJWlXHmy4skwmya-XaTM5QE/edit?usp=sharing)

edit: sorry 519 http://d-h.st/NB1

Sent from my Clear using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nevin
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Thank you sd_shadow!!!!!! :-)