PDA

View Full Version : Rooting my droid x?

holycow131415
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello,

I have a droid x from Verizon, its never been rooted, and I've updated it twice since I've had it. Its on android 2.3.4, and I've been reading everywhere that there is no easy noob way to root it. But if that is true, then why is this article here since at least Nov 2011? Will it work in my case? Pete's Motorola Root Tools (http://www.psouza4.com/bionic/)
Thanks =)

BHuber09
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Sorry that will not work.
I have heard of your version being able to be rooted however I also remember hearing problems with rooting that version.
If you Google search droid x root 621 you will see what I'm saying.
I'm sorry I'm about to pass out otherwise I would look more in depth and give your a straight answer. I just figured I'd help with some info vs none.

FreeMyMoto!!!

holycow131415
03-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Are there different Verizon versions of android 2.3.4? I would guess so being that article is a few months old. Yeah I have been googling 621 and that is what I was talking about with there being no noob friendly root method yet =/

newmanx4
03-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Actually the method is easier than it sounds. Just rooted mine with it yesterday.

EDIT: I rooted mine the hard way using Linux. 1KDS has posted a LiveCD Windows method that should be much easier.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)
You want the 4.5.604.iso

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

holycow131415
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Does flashing to that mess up Verizon settings to make calls, text, 3g, etc? I think i read that the linux method keeps verizon settings but i see this: "This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root. " What is ZergRush?

casper55117
03-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Does flashing to that mess up Verizon settings to make calls, text, 3g, etc? I think i read that the linux method keeps verizon settings but i see this: "This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root. " What is ZergRush?
Flashing via Linux method doesn't flash over the radio. So you will keep the Verizon stuff you need. Zergrush is a rooting method

holycow131415
03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Flashing via Linux method doesn't flash over the radio. So you will keep the Verizon stuff you need. Zergrush is a rooting method

Awesome, but why does it say "This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root" on that page? Is it phrased wrongly to mean only its not the verizon version of android?

Also what ROMs do you guys recommend after flashing to the euro verison of DX and what method do you flash with? I assume these ROMS are rooted already correct? =D

newmanx4
03-26-2012, 09:30 AM
The Milestone X is an nTelus device. If you were to use the Linux SBF with RSD Lite you would be changing the radio to the nTelus system, therefore rendering your Verizon device useless. This method tricks your X into thinking it is a Milestone, but you keep the Verizon radio.

holycow131415
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Cool.

So one ROM would be CM7, any other suggestions?

I've gathered that I will need to use the linux liveCD, which is easy, to get the script to flash and root the euro version . Then install ROM Manager while on milestone x from google play to flash to CM7. Put the CM7 zip, for example, on SD card, and I guess load it while in ROM Manager? Am I correct so far? lol.

Goose306
03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
More or less.

Use the Linux LiveCD to SBF and root. Once in you will need to have D2Bootstrap still (it still is stock gingerblur) and you ROM from there. You can use ROM Manager to update your CWM binary if wanted before booting in.

Recommend at this time you use 2nd-init based ROMs (CM7, MIUI, or any of the ICS ROMs) as they function the same as if you were on a .605 (no issues, that is)

I've gotten blur-based ROMs booting on this new system, and everything works except for WIFI (the Milestone X kernel doesn't speak properly to the Droid X WIFI hardware, don't know why, trying to find a work-around)

So, if you don't need/care about WIFI you can flash any of those, you can get the patched version here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html

(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html)Otherwise use any 2nd-init ROM. If you are doing a CM7/9 ROM or Gummy you will need the gapps package as well when you flash the ROM.

Kama
03-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Does any1 have solutions for the issue discussed? I currently have a droid x rooted with the vortex mod. I love this rom but I am having the "google search package not signed correctly" being displayed whenever I try and update. I have received "package not signed correctly" for multiple apps

casper55117
03-27-2012, 03:49 AM
un install then re- install from market

casper55117
03-27-2012, 03:52 AM
and please dont make 2 threads with the exact same question

holycow131415
03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
So I successfully used the linux ISO to root my droidx 621 to milestone 604. Zergrush rooted milestone, and bootstrapper droid 2 has installed correctly. Now, while in ROM manager, when clicking on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it doesnt do anything. No prompts popup to select droidx. All that happens is a quick loading bar comes up at the top of the app. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing. please help.