PDA

View Full Version : Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

ohmster
03-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Okay, you have heard and answered it a thousand times. I am sorry but the acronyms you use are over my head. I need a kind soul to explain and define a few things. You go into my hall of fame and become a hero upon succsess, all of you.

Had Gingerbread on a Droid X MB810 3.3.3. Could not root it with Windows. Got it rooted with dxroot 7.3 Linux shell script. God that was so cool, done in like one minute! My phone was covered by insurance and the camera stopped working. Got a replacement, on my card were Titanium Backup and a backup ROM from December. Ran dxroot again, success! Backup Assistant would not take my password, could not remove it (Verizon product) and like a total dumb a$$, I deleted the backup assistant update and checked for updates. Found one, stared at it, and by itself, it began downloading 4.5.621.MBB10.Verizon.en.US. Ack! The whole OS upgrade! There were posts about installing the update and pulling the battery before it could reboot and lock down the root file system. It failed and I now have no root on 2.3.4. <sob!>

I do have Clockwork Mod installed and a December backup. When I got the phone, by accident I turned it on and got the clockwork boot screen, all pretty in green. Got out of it and booted normally. Once the OTA update hit, cannot even get that screen again. No clockwork icon in app drawer, but accessible by Market, which says it is installed and allows me to open it. It cannot work without root, useless, but the rom backup is there.

Everywhere I look I find NO 4.5.6 root exploit found. Not happening. Only choice is to "SBF" back to "Froyo" (Which I may have had years ago originally on phone.), then root, and use some sort of "root keeper" and SBF back to 3.3.3 or whatever. I am happy with root, Titanium Backup, and the things I have. Titanium, when ran on the replacement phone, put back almost 400 apps with data in about 15 minutes, in a few hours, all desktops were restored. AMAZING! This thing did what would have taken months, if at all possible. I want it back! I was warned after rooting 3.3.3 NOT to take any OTA updates and I screwed up. Getting that done was hard because only the Linux fix worked, and man did it work good. Tried it again on new update and now not possible:

* Running exploit [part 2 of 3]...
failed on '/data/local.prop' - Permission denied
cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

I understand Linux and own a CentOS machine. The phone shows up as a usb Motorola device and logs in but not as a user. Can see it with lsusb:

[paul@paulspcworks ~]$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 22b8:4284 Motorola PCS

Why can't we mount this device and as root on the system, open up the /Data/local.prop directory permissions as world rwx again? I do not know how to do this, perhaps alt.os.linux is the place to ask. That would make dxroot work again.

For the love of GOD help me! Line out a reasonable procedure for me with links to downloads and tutorials (Please, I am begging.) to fix this effing thing.

What does "SBF" mean? Is it difficult? Will I brick my phone? Must I do this?
What comes next?
I assume SBF makes the phone boot a different and earlier OS, everything will be stock again, I can root it and get my stuff back, then update to Gingerbread. But how, use a ROM from here and NOT OTA?
How do I do this?
In short, how can I get this phone rooted and back to either 3.3.4 or higher and keep root?

I subscribe to this thread because I wrote it and it will help thousands of others. I will update it upon success and how it was done, that is my duty. So I will get email notification of replies here, even if directed to other threads.

I am knowledgeable and experienced with Linux and rooting but never explored ROMS because I do not want my phone to look like a freaking iPhone! I am happy with what I got.

Spell it out, please, I am begging. Forget the "told you so", it is too late for that and I am hurting bad enough.

Thank you for your time, even more thanks for your help. Watching this thread intently, please respond.

Update: Thursday, April 05, 2012
I have my phone now rooted and there were two minor issues to fix by hand. I am happy as a clam. Goose306 and 1KDS are GOD, man! Skip to the end pages to see how I did it and how easy it was.

csk415
03-17-2012, 03:08 PM
First question. Did you install the 621 update or is it just downloaded to your phone?

StrykedVorteX X

DirtyDroid
03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah like csk said, what is your phone info? System>settings<about phone.

Sent from my DROID X

SaurusX
03-17-2012, 03:42 PM
There may be a root method coming soon. Everyone at Rootzwiki is waiting to see how things shake out. Yes, you're in a semi-bad spot right now, but no need to panic just yet. At least you have a fully working phone, albeit with no root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

gunner1982
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
An sbf is short for system boot file it is the operating system on your phone as of right now there is no root method for the DROID x android version 2.3.4 system version 4.5.621 the only way someone can have root on this was if they used an app called voodoo OTA root keeper as I did not it sounds like we are in the same boat right among alot of other ppl

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gunner1982
03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
There may be a root method coming soon. Everyone at Rootzwiki is waiting to see how things shake out. Yes, you're in a semi-bad spot right now, but no need to panic just yet. At least you have a fully working phone, albeit with no root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

This is true I tried it but it didn't work so hopefully it will give someone with the smarts a start and some good insight on how to re root this thing

ohmster
03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Roger that. It downloaded only. It was late, tech help at Verizon was closed, and STUPIDLY, I allowed the update to install. <sob!> I thought about this and wanted to delete it before it got installed, but did not know where it went and even with ES File manager, which still seems to have root access, at least to view the root FS, I could not find it.

Phone Specs:
Motorola Droid X, Model MB810
System Updates: Up to date
System version: 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Model number: DROIDx
Android version: 2.3.4
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.1SP
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440
mcbk82@il93inxdroid08 #1
Build number: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
ERI version: 5
PRL version: 52644

What more can I help you with? I will do everything you suggest that is safe and within reason to get this phone back and rooted. Even learn SBF if I have to. I just posted to alt.os.linux and comp.linux.shell for help in learning if it is possible to mount a usb device and gain access, as root, it it's filesystem. If that could be done, I could restore open world wrx permission to this /Data directory, the contents of which I can no longer see in ES File explorer, now set at NO read, write, or execute. Otherwise dxroot would work.

SBF = system boot file

Yes, I saw the new "possible method", did not try it as it was a LOT of work, could very well brick the phone, and had NO confirmation that it would, could, or had ever worked. Dam Motorola for doing this. I own this $500 object and am under no contract to not alter it.

I have to do some family stuff for St. Patrick's day at mom's but will be back later to tackle this issue, please replay ASAP. And thank you for doing so.

csk415
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Hate to say it, but you are stuck for now. No exploit for 621 yet. Sbf wont matter since you can't sbf to a older version. Try and it will brick your phone. I think there is a 621 sbf floating around if you needed it. Sucks that this happened to some X owners.

StrykedVorteX X

dtroup64
03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Hate to say it, but you are stuck for now. No exploit for 621 yet. Sbf wont matter since you can't sbf to a older version. Try and it will brick your phone. I think there is a 621 sbf floating around if you needed it. Sucks that this happened to some X owners.

StrykedVorteX X
Actually a couple of people now have used the new method brought to light today, and it has worked for them. Then a few have used it and can't seem to get a signal, so it's still being worked out. There is hope!

csk415
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Actually a couple of people now have used the new method brought to light today, and it has worked for them. Then a few have used it and can't seem to get a signal, so it's still being worked out. There is hope!

That is good news for sure.

StrykedVorteX X

ohmster
03-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Uh, hey uh, can you please provide a link to this new info so I can post there and get updates on it? I will not do it until it gets confirmed and I think this will involve flashing the phone, something I really do not look forward to doing, but if I must, at least I can read up on it.

This post will be the central meeting place, I tagged it for this phone, this update, and root access, so when we whip this thing, the answer will be here with instructions and links.

So if anybody has links to work in progress that are noteworthy, post them here please. Thank you all for replying so quickly. We really do support each other here and isn't it just grand? If my Linux hunt reveals a way to access the root filesystem, you know I will make it known here so that someone can work on an exploit, maybe even Dan Rosenberg who wrote the original dxroot in the past. I already emailed him, hope he writes back.

dtroup64
03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
There are already a couple of threads about it here. Here's one:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/44711-exploit-found-621-perhaps.html#post540835

ohmster
03-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about 621 but got no real confirmation that it works, good tip though and I will watch it closely. Thanks.

From what I understand, I cannot sbf anymore since I lost root. Even the Linux gurus did not have good news. You can see my only reply so far with a newsreader program if you care with the Message ID here: Message-ID: <9skcaeFfpcU1@mid.individual.net>

He basically said that getting to all parts of the android file system may not be possible if the proper emulation software were used. He said I might only gain user space but be denied access to the root file system itself by the phone. He also pointed out that if you own and use a phone that depends on exploits to get things done, the odds are way against us and this is true. dxroot was a "Motorola Goofed" situation that Rosenberg was able to exploit. That is not going to keep happening, Windows hardens itself monthly with hotfixes all the time.

I went down a one way street with no way out and made a BIG mistake. If I had stuck with a modded ROM, I would have been fine. The new modded OS has nicer windows and bigger keys, mine doesn't. This will not help people who buy new phones and have made no mistakes.

Gosh, this is depressing. I was hoping for a quick answer and well, maybe I hoped for too much, too soon. I will keep the hope and get off of it for now. Please report back any progress. I will too. Thanks everybody. Goodnight.

Goose306
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about 621 but got no real confirmation that it works, good tip though and I will watch it closely. Thanks.

From what I understand, I cannot sbf anymore since I lost root. Even the Linux gurus did not have good news. You can see my only reply so far with a newsreader program if you care with the Message ID here: Message-ID: <9skcaeFfpcU1@mid.individual.net>

He basically said that getting to all parts of the android file system may not be possible if the proper emulation software were used. He said I might only gain user space but be denied access to the root file system itself by the phone. He also pointed out that if you own and use a phone that depends on exploits to get things done, the odds are way against us and this is true. dxroot was a "Motorola Goofed" situation that Rosenberg was able to exploit. That is not going to keep happening, Windows hardens itself monthly with hotfixes all the time.

I went down a one way street with no way out and made a BIG mistake. If I had stuck with a modded ROM, I would have been fine. The new modded OS has nicer windows and bigger keys, mine doesn't. This will not help people who buy new phones and have made no mistakes.

Gosh, this is depressing. I was hoping for a quick answer and well, maybe I hoped for too much, too soon. I will keep the hope and get off of it for now. Please report back any progress. I will too. Thanks everybody. Goodnight.

You had root prior to taking the OTA correct? If so there is actually two possible methods for you to attempt. The easiest and safest is some people are able to use z4root or Pete's Root Tools to run a temp root, this momentarily lifts your permissions since you already had a root-access file system, you already have su and the binaries on your system memory, you need to temp root and adb command to chmod the su files back in to action. Or you can the new method, its a bit riskier and there isn't an exact course lined out yet. I can provide relevant links for both when I get near a computer.

Sent from my MIUI Shadow

Goose306
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
@ Ohmster I have updated my stickied thread @Rootz about the two methods that have been found to exploit this .621 to gain root access. As you had root prior, please read carefully and follow directions. You will want to attempt the temp unroot and adb procedure first, as that has been confirmed by multiple users to have success and is much less dangerous. Failing that you may attempt the new procedure involving flashing your Droid X to a Milestone X using the sbf_flash method. Both are detailed at the bottom of the OP. Please read all information carefully, I am simply just providing what has worked for others, and am not responsible for what you do to your phone.

Relevant link below:
IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update&#33; - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/)

ohmster
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Oh goose, this is so promising. I removed the superuser app since it did not do anything, but the /data/xbin/su binary is still there, read only. busybox and superuser binaries were there, but since removing the superuser app, I do not see them. Still, su is present, read only, no way to execute it. If tried from a term window without root prompt #, permission denied.

I see ABD all the time, installing the correct windows Motorola drivers 5.2.0 did install ADB drivers, but what the heck does "ADB" mean?

This is very promising, even temp root would allow ad free and titanium backup to work. Unfortunately, the links from your friend's page are all to a dropbox and the links are dead. He gave the MD5 sum on the files, but without them, I have to look all over the web to find the correct Z4root package. I will try though, wish I had installed rootkeeper. I understand it a bit better now and that is a good idea. I will install it if I ever get root back.

I will for sure work on this, but without the correct binaries, my options are rather limited at the moment. This is his file link:

Download (su, binaries, z4root)
http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z (http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z/)
MD5: 8453FD1171DA3A30D13AA33F3016868D
Size: 1,483,644 bytes

As you can see, it is down. Thanks man, I will tell you how I do, let me get some coffee.

Goose306
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Oh goose, this is so promising. I removed the superuser app since it did not do anything, but the /data/xbin/su binary is still there, read only. busybox and superuser binaries were there, but since removing the superuser app, I do not see them. Still, su is present, read only, no way to execute it. If tried from a term window without root prompt #, permission denied.

I see ABD all the time, installing the correct windows Motorola drivers 5.2.0 did install ADB drivers, but what the heck does "ADB" mean?

This is very promising, even temp root would allow ad free and titanium backup to work. Unfortunately, the links from your friend's page are all to a dropbox and the links are dead. He gave the MD5 sum on the files, but without them, I have to look all over the web to find the correct Z4root package. I will try though, wish I had installed rootkeeper. I understand it a bit better now and that is a good idea. I will install it if I ever get root back.

I will for sure work on this, but without the correct binaries, my options are rather limited at the moment. This is his file link:

Download (su, binaries, z4root)
http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z (http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z/)
MD5: 8453FD1171DA3A30D13AA33F3016868D
Size: 1,483,644 bytes

As you can see, it is down. Thanks man, I will tell you how I do, let me get some coffee.

Haha those are actually my links. Sorry, my dropbox maxes fairly often, people taking stuff outta there, I'm hosting SBF files and a variety of things so it maxes sometimes and will 404 people. I'll find some linkies for ya to get you rolling.

[Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5307-guide-root-or-unroot-your-droid-x/) You can find Z4 root here as well as Pete's Root Tools. Both are reported as successful. If you no longer has the Superuser.apk it may not work however, but you do have binaries. What you'll want to do is use z4/Pete's and run a temp unroot, execute the binaries in xbin, have a copy of Superuser.apk on your SDCard and use terminal commands to copy the Superuser.apk to /system/app and install. If you need the Superuser.apk you can get it from ChainsDD: Superuser (http://androidsu.com/superuser/)

ADB = Android Debug Bridge. Its a way to remotely run commands to your phone using a Linux Terminal or Windows Command Line. Your computer has to have an ADB environment for it to work properly. Information here; http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1944-your-1-adb-source-72911/

I'm not sure if this will work for you, it has worked for some people however. Go ahead and try it. It carries significantly less risks to do this, as at worst you will probably just get a "permissions denied" message. The second method listed below for a fresh install has been proven to work regardless, its a bit *beta* atm, and a bit riskier because it involves flashing full phone firmware for a Milestone X and messing with radios/etc. Either way though you *should* be able to regain a rootable system environment. If you do the second one make sure you follow the instructions *to the letter*. If you SBF the wrong way or something like that you will get an incorrect radio not compatible with VZW. The information for the second one is compiled from information we have gained just since yesterday. I would *highly* recommend also reading the dev thread where the exploit was found and read people's experiences prior to jumping in with both feet (yes, all 19 pages of it, currently) http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621-rootable-sbf-apparently-found/

ohmster
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh goose, you so rock man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am stuck at the tire dealers this morning and I'm mired in social security paperwork all day. County health insurance nightmare paperwork and I am stuck for days with this garbage. But I am so excited that what you have told me. ADB Is really just a command line to the Linux environment inside of android like on my Linux computer then, right? That is something I really understand. The 502 Motorola USB drivers did install ADB on my windows 7 computer So I should be all set up for that. I tested the connection limit is correct then works well. I prefer Linux but will take anything available right now. I have to read up right now before going any further, as I already took out superuser like a dummy. I am for real and genuinely need your help. Thank you so much and watch this thread, you will see what happens. I installed this forum app on my Droid X phone so that is how I am communicating today. You have to admit this is progress and I am not that green of a newbie. Thanks man, talk to you soon.

Goose306
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh goose, you so rock man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am stuck at the tire dealers this morning and I'm mired in social security paperwork all day. County health insurance nightmare paperwork and I am stuck for days with this garbage. But I am so excited that what you have told me. ADB Is really just a command line to the Linux environment inside of android like on my Linux computer then, right? That is something I really understand. The 502 Motorola USB drivers did install ADB on my windows 7 computer So I should be all set up for that. I tested the connection limit is correct then works well. I prefer Linux but will take anything available right now. I have to read up right now before going any further, as I already took out superuser like a dummy. I am for real and genuinely need your help. Thank you so much and watch this thread, you will see what happens. I installed this forum app on my Droid X phone so that is how I am communicating today. You have to admit this is progress and I am not bad green of a newbie. Thanks man, talk to you soon.

Best of luck. Like I said if you are unable to regain your root using your existing binaries, just use a linux sbf_flash to flash the Milestone X SBF file. That has now been confirmed to work 100% of the time and you can then root, you just have to follow instructions to a T. Info on that can be found in that last link that was provided on the last post I made, just check the OP. It has been fully updated with step-by-step instructions to use the linux sbf_flash to flash the firmware and then root using zergrush v4.

ohmster
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Thank you for your help. Talk to you soon.

Okay I am home. You reading me Goose? I am mired in so much government and medical paperwork I will never find the time for this, yet I must. I am a driven man. I also have to answer you buddy, you are extremely kind, knowledgeable, and are someone that I can talk tech with who understands and is able to drop to my level and have a darned good discussion. This is too good to be true and very rare on web forums, so you get an immediate reply Goose.

Just downloading the 162Mb DX.621_root.zip is a bit of a lengthily process. That is a huge file for superuser. I wonder what it is. It is here but my PC is still making an external USB backup since 4:00 AM. I desperately need a new system disk image as this nice quad core PC has been running Windows 7 Ultimate for about 3 years non-stop. In that time I have installed different phones (L7 SLVR, Droid X), video cards, TV tuner cards, modems, and various software such as droid explorer to use on this PC. Unfortunately this is exactly the kind of thing that slowly kills Windows over a period of time. This backup is at 83%, was 67% when I sat down, and is slowly making progress. Windows 7 is awesome with this new automated backup system. I used it many times to save my own butt and my brother hosed his own PC by taking the one and only Windows Update, years ago, to destroy this particular hack. The only way he got his Windows 7 back was by a system image restore that he, fortunately had made with Windows backup. The PC is crawling now and I cannot do any real work, I must scan several pages of documents and do not dare try it until this backup is done.

Since getting my replacement phone a week ago, I have been installing, removing, and reinstalling Motorola and Verizon drivers and Motorola Phone Tools (which fails to identify a Droid X) like crazy to find good ones that actually work and do stuff that I care about. One moto driver install did little else but pop up a Verizon web page every time I plugged the phone in. How annoying, although you can right click and turn that off in the systray. I finally hit pay dirt with Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit. msi. But my system was now a mess, with WinTV playing all the time in Windows Media Center on separate monitor, this thing would lock up in a stutter and BSOD and that was it kiddies, down for the count. Resurrecting it was a challenge, sometimes I could reboot normally, other times it was "Fix my PC" time. Drivers are one thing that will mess up a Windows PC really, really badly if improper ones get installed or old ones are left in or impossible to remove. It is like throwing a piece of Apple hardware into a Windows PC and expecting it to actually boot, run, and work again. I did a LOT of cleanup to get this thing stable again although the boot time is extremely long, maybe seven minutes or more? One day I will wipe and redo the entire thing, but like no way these days. At least Windows has it's very own dedicated hard drive so my personal data should be safe. 87% backup, I really have to let this finish because I can do nothing realistically until this backup is done. Even opening a zip file would be prolonged and delay the backup and this is a pretty powerful PC. AMD 3Ghz quad black, 4Gb DDR2, nvidia GeForce 9500, and three hard drives, one dedicated Windows system, two 1TB cut into 4 partitions each. Running out of drive letters with 2 opticals and optical emulators like Daemon tools and Virtual Clone Drive. (Windows Media Center needs VCD to mount DVD iso files and play them with a cute hack freely available online. Matroska avi codecs for HD avi files.) My hard drive light is virtually pinned solid, I am doing nothing for maybe another hour (88% BU). Enough of this...

I got very depressed when I clicked your link to Pete's tools as the headline read:
"EDIT:CAUTION...THERE IS NO ROOT FOR THE NEW UPDATE 4.5.621"

...oh Gawd!

Last link perked me right up:
"6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found!"

That's me! Until I started reading, there are 23 pages to read of comments! I have to SBF and end up with a "Milestone phone", whatever the heck that is, and the radio don't work on Verizon. So big deal. I cannot listen to FM music. Uh no. They are talking about the phone communications, I will have a cool $500 toy that cannot make or receive phone calls. Not happening.

Either I have two weeks of reading and learning to do, OR, I follow your instructions "to the letter", have belief and good faith, and not hold you accountable. Wow. I will take option #2 please.

I got as far as making important URL shortcuts that you pointed out and downloading DX.621_root.zip. My 5.2.0_64bit drivers are installed and I saw ADB being installed along with them, apparently it has a lot to do with what USB setting you use when connecting to install drivers, different modes result in different drivers in some cases like charge only, pc mode, Media mode, and storage device. With ADB I imagine I will get what I want, a command line interface to the android file system itself. If I can gain root while in such a state, I can make it permanent, no doubt. This does not seem to matter with the final link you gave me reading:
"Note: This must be flashed using a Linux SBF method, not Windows RSD Lite"

So now I get to use the P4 PC running CentOS Linux this time, which I like better for android work, instead of my AMD W7 rig. ...wow, the backup is done, I am a free man! Life, speed, and lots of pep. Now we are talking!

Quick note, I downloaded and answered the forum from my phone, cool to me, but no big deal. But, to get my logon password, I had to get to my home PC. Just as a goof, I looked through the free apps and found 2X Client, a free remote desktop app. I have that setup on my own PC for remote desktop and use it from other PCs, even Linux. But never on a phone before... It worked. It actually worked, was fast enough to be quite usable, and I could not believe I was running my home rig on a cell phone away from home! Got the password and got online. End of story.

Goose, I am stuck on paperwork today. Hate it, cannot avoid it. Do you think I have to do the Linux SBF which is reported to work? Not if it hoses the phone radio (Ability to have a phone.) Or will this Pete's thing get me in? I can, of course, try each one, but the SBF stuff is a last chance. Too dicey to risk with other options maybe available. I like the Droid X and never modded the phone as a Liberty, iPhone, or any of that stuff because things get broken, do not work, and if I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought one. I hate Apple computers!

Give me your best good advice and I will report back. Going to scan docs and will be back soon to check. Thanks Goose.

Goose306
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
@ Ohmster. If you want to try the ADB method, ADB can be ran on either Windows OR Linux. Just set up appropriately for either. You can google for guides if you don't have your Linux environment set up properly. Android is based on Linux, so if you are familiar with Linux, you are familiar with Android (for the most part). If you want to try the first method to regain using the binaries, use the z4root program as that is ran on your phone (so you won't need a Windows environment for Pete's) choose Temp. Unroot option, and then while it is running the temp unroot attempt to execute the ADB commands. If it is successful, great, you will have gotten yourself going.

If you get "Permission Denied" or it seems to work but you still do not have root access, you will need to use the SBF method. As that hack is now a couple days old, we have gotten more information, so let me explain it a bit clearer to you:

It has to be done on Linux. The reason for this is when using Windows and RSD Lite it flashes your radio. The SBF file (the .604 one that you need to gain root access) is for a Milestone X, which is a generic Droid X. So if you use RSD Lite and flash it it will flash your radio to one that is incompatible with Verizon. If you do this, you have to use RSD Lite to reflash to .621 and then call Verizon to have them reprovision or reauthorize the data on your account, but for some reason your data gets shut off and you can't regain 3G until you do so.

However, if you flash using Linux then it does NOT overwrite the baseband (that is the radio) it just overwrites the system portion. When its all said and done, your phone will think its a Milestone X, but for all intents and purposes that does not matter. It will still have the .15p radio (which is compatible with Verizon) and like I said the Milestone X is a generic Droid X, same hardware, so all interfaces, etc. work correctly. You can fix it from reporting as Milestone X once your are on the SBF and rooted by either modifying the build.prop (which is a text file you can open in /system using a text editor) or if you flash a custom ROM, as a custom ROM will over-write the files that make it think it is a Milestone X, and it will then report properly as a Droid X. Either way really doesn't matter, it works fine for all intents and purposes reporting as a Milestone X, its really just if you want it to say Droid X instead of Milestone X in some system files. As an added bonus, when its all said and done, you have the newer radio (.15p) which could possibly perform better and you are on a newer system version (the Milestone X SBF file is Android version 2.5.5, you are on 2.4 if using .621)

So, try the ADB if you want. But honestly, as we have had much reported success with the SBF version now, if you do the SBF flash it should work perfectly fine. Just make sure its performed on Linux, root using Zergrush v4; and then I'd flash a custom ROM (really, any, they all perform massively better than stock anyways) and be all set.

ohmster
03-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Oh Goose, you are a true friend, dedicated to the cause. This is most excellent advice and the way you have to treat sincere and not too stupid newbies. You rock, dude.

Uh, I have been slow to get back, right now I have to re-apply for county health. It is a nightmare of bureaucracy and paperwork, I am mired in it and cannot miss appointments. So, I cannot dare do the phone until I have a clear head for it and time to spend. Short time is what got me into this mess, I won't have it finishing me off. I might be absent for a short while, but always in touch. Take my email if you want, I do not bug anyone.

I have 3 PCs always running on super fast Comcast cable. 1 Win 7 wireless laptop, one AMD quad core Phenome Black, one Intel P4 running CentOS 6.2 with fully qualified domain names, mail, ftp, apache, and samba servers at all times. I no longer make mail a public server, live, online, on my domain. Setting up sendmail took too long, months and months. I do better with postfix and dovecot, short and sweet. I was a die hard Redhat man when I got Redhat 6 for Christmas, Redhat dumped the free, open source team to Fedora, I stuck it out. I really like the package manager, RPM. Tarballs are difficult when you do anything big, the dependencies will make you nuts. So, yum and rpm are it for me. Used to use apt-get. Fedora got stupid, bleeding edge stuff, new release every 6 months. Previously, Redhat upgrades from version to version were successful. Since Fedora took over, the updates were so different that there was no such thing as "updates". You really had to wipe and do it all over again. And making a new Linux release work the way I want, that takes months, the good tricks I collected over years. The X server got so changed you could not update, it was a totally new server. The services, ftp, apache, everything, used to be run as rc.local startups, now there is something called systemd. Who can keep up with it? I *need* this stuff to work. I do websites and give my customers live previews on my own cable apache server so that they can visit my FQDN with my username and a tilde to gain access to their sites. www.abc.com/~paul/drjackie and this works. I cannot tear down the entire system and rebuild it every six months so Fedora is out. What I wanted was Redhat Enterprise Linux because it is made for businesses that want security, updates, but, total stability. No bleeding edge stuff to take down the entire business until you figured it out and enough patches and updates came out to make it stable. By then, you had to install a new distro and do it all over again. Toying with the idea of piracy on RHEL, the Linux Usenet groups told me I do not have to pirate anything. RHEL is totally free only because you do not get tech support, they renamed it CentOS. Everything is the same, and the EOL date on 6.2 is 2017. Now I can live with that. I did not update Redhat 9 for years until it went EOL (End of Line) and updates stopped coming. I kept the distro and server live. Script kiddies got in through apache, next thing I know the machine is slow as heck. Top reveals apache is *way* too busy these days, and examining the logs revealed the infiltration. They took over sendmail and I was now a live, online spambot pumping 3,000 spam mails a day. I begged the Usenet security guys for help and they demanded I pull the plug on the machine AT ONCE or no help. Painfully, I pulled the plug. It could not be fixed, it was outdated, I had to wipe and update. And the updates to new versions kept coming. Two a year! What the heck is wrong with these people?!!

So, once I hears about CentOS, I downloaded the Live CD and fell in love with it. I installed it pronto and I ain't going back, Cent rocks! And as an added bonus, all of the struggling I had been doing with compiz was no longer necessary, I checked out desktop effects and found Compiz built right in! No way, it cannot be this simple. Yet, with one click, I had wobbly windows and a 3D spinning cube for a desktop back! And, nvidia drivers install right from nvidia again like sweet milk. Oh this is heaven, man. So yeah, I am familiar with Linux and prefer it for android work because the filesystem are native and "the same". Except that android is a severely chopped down version of Linux. I see that busybox is what restores many of the commands I would expect to find like chmod and ls -la instead of a bare bones "ls". (No permissions listed.)

So yeah, I do Linux.

I think I can try Pete's Z4 if I can find it. SBF I will have to wait for a weekend at least. I probably should not have taken out superuser so quick but the su binaries are still there, they just do not have proper permission to run. Now I see what rootkeepr is. You backup your root files in /data/xbin/rootkeeper/ (Isn't it nice to use a real slash instead of a Microsoft backslash all the time to do directory "NOT folder!" work?) and if you get temp root, you can restore them because they are already there. That is pretty cool and for a phone that depends upon a Motorola "Opps, didn't catch that one boss, I will release and update to secure that directory" in order to regain root, rootkeeper is starting to look pretty good. I can probably now create my own rootkeeper if I got root on the phone for a minute.

I feel a lot better about the Milestone SBF now that you have explained it properly. I would rather it say Droid X instead of Milestone but that is minor, I must retain the radio. What I really like about what you said was, "However, if you flash using Linux then it does NOT overwrite the baseband (that is the radio) it just overwrites the system portion.". See? THAT is what is wrong with Windows, and a half a billion other things. I do think that Windows 7 Ultra is the best bet so far from MS. Still, I hate that "Starting Windows" screen, they hide everythign and trying to troubleshoot boot issues are frustrating. At lease Linux gives you a "real" bootup screen that reveals the entire boot process if you care to see it. I got a couple of hours now, I will do Pete's if I can find it. Let me see if I can find a Linux Pete's. A url would be lovely if you have one.

Alright, we have a path and we have direction. News gets better every day. You sure did and are doing your part to make me feel more comfortable with it and make me feel welcome. This really is an excellent website. I got PM'ed by the moderator for abbreviating cuss words to highlight my frustration so I will have to watch that a bit. 1KDS was the first dude to help me out with gingerbread root. Harley Dude also turned me on to adfree and man, I want that one bad! Harley is a good dude. All of the Windows roots were bogus, he turned me on to the Linux shell script and I knew I found a home. So you guys rock, man.

I am up for at least two hours, if you catch this, give me the Linux Pete's url if you can please. Thanks man. I will always be in touch, I get notices on my phone but cannot reply from the social security building. They do not even want you to *have* a phone in that place and if you dare reveal a camera, I think I would be shot. They do not kid around in there dude. Alright, I got to look for Pete's. I want to try it, a temp root would get my foot in the door. Be watching for you. 'nite!

ohmster
03-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Oh man, this 621 is brutal dude. The /data directory is locked down hard. I downloaded Pete's Linux from here:
[Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5307-guide-root-or-unroot-your-droid-x/)

And it was a shell script with no instructions, but that is okay, I can read the script with vim or cat, but the vim colors makes script reading a LOT easier than cat. When I read the script, two things happened. 1, I was in love, it was the same dude who really got me out of the gingerbread jam. 2, my heart sank when I started reading it had to mod the /data directory. I already know that is locked down. I ran it to see what would happen and my worst fears were confirmed, this one will not work. Output below for those that need to see:

[paul@paulspcworks bench]$ sudo sh ./run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
* DROID 3 Easy Root script v7d *
* Please make sure you meet these pre-requisites:
* (a) install the correct driver... er, nevermind, we don't need no stinkin' drivers
* (b) turn on USB debugging (on your phone under Settings -> Applications)
* (c) plug in your phone and set your USB mode to 'PC Mode' (on Linux)
* or 'Charge Only' mode (on Mac)
* (but if it hangs waiting for the phone to connect, set it the other way)
* READY TO ROOT YOUR DROID 3 WHEN YOU ARE!
* Press enter to continue...
* Waiting for your phone to be connected...
* Running exploit [part 1 of 3]...
* Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
* Running exploit [part 2 of 3]...
* Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
! ERROR: root was not obtained.
!
! You might want to try rebooting your phone and trying again.
[paul@paulspcworks bench]$

Yeah, so, I am really screwed. I would have been so dancing on the stars if this worked. So what's up, goose, anyone? SBF time? I will do the Linux one when I have for sure time to see it through, confirmation it works on 621. Arrrggggh! I am ready to kill someone!

Goose, you know where I am at by now and you know what I need, urls for the stuff on Linux. Can you shoot me that info please? Thanks. I am so bummed. But, this is the way it is. Good stuff does not come easy or everybody would be doing it.

Hey Goose, what do you mean, "So, try the ADB if you want."? I am running a shell script while my phone is USB connected in charge mode to a Linux machine in a putty ssh terminal or live terminal on the machine. Is that what I should be doing because this works. Is ABD something special for these phones? This is the way I did the first script that worked on gingerbread and this works. I have to SBF, something I have never done before and without the RIGHT and UPDATED binaries and scripts, I am screwed. I know you are on the ball so I am not worried. Thanks man.

Well, I am up for another hour or so. Goose says to read, so I read. Here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621-rootable-sbf-apparently-found/

And I am downloading the binaries. If I do this tonight, I am not sure. Have to see how it goes and if I feel right about it.

I need an aspirin or something a little more stiff. I will be back, thanks all. 'nite.

jjkoolaid
03-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I read somewhere that someone had a android backup of the .605 rooted before he took the Ota. He just backed it up and had root keeper (before the ota) and worked fine. Don't know if this may apply in your situation and he didn't sbf. But that's only one out if many that took it and are now stuck on the waiting list. Someone reading this may know who and where the thread was. I just can't remember at the moment. Hope this brings some light to your tunnel.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 12:53 AM
koolaid, how nice of you to drop in!

I did not know about rootkeeper until now. No, I do not have it. I have clockwork mod and a backup from previous, but without root, clockwork no longer works. I remember the pretty green boot screen when I fumbled with turning it on when I first had it, but since the OTA, that is history. One point of interest is that there is a boot recovery but it looks like some sort of Motorola devs stuff, I doubt that we can use it. Let me post a picture of it in case anyone recognizes it. It is a bit blurry as I do not have a tripod and cable release for my camera, but it is readable.

Sure isn't clockwork mod. So sad.

This won't help me directly, but it may help others who have the stuff they need on their phone. I am now reading Goose's stuff on SBF'ing, I hope it is up to date. He told me to read the whole thing so I have time and I am reading.
6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found! - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621-rootable-sbf-apparently-found/)

OMG! There are 31 pages to read! ...sigh. Time to get out the reading glasses. Thanks for jumping in KA.

* I am on page 5. This is depressing. One thing I must say, Goose is all over this post and he is not checking out. The man is a God! Now that is good news.

OMG, this is awesome! They are using the bootloader above to get the job done in this cool video:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621-rootable-sbf-apparently-found/
(Halfway down the page, you will see it.) I just could not read 31 pages unless I know there is a happy ending so I went to 31 and am working backwards.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Goose,

I tried reading that stuff but there is so much teaching newbies how to use Linux stuff, plus people with rootkeeper already installed that cannot help me, I will really need a custom "how to". I know linux, shell scripts, and sudo, you can skip that stuff. Just what files for someone with 621 and old su binaries still there, if you have a chance. The discussion is interesting but I have to sift out 90% of 31 pages to get any useful data that I do not remember what I am doing anymore. I do appreciate the help though, you are dedicated man. EVen 1KDS made some kind of custom iso, but I can run commands, I just need the right files and some sort of validation that it works and I will not trash a $500 phone. Yes, Verizon still demands $500 to replace a trashed phone unless one has insurance. I do, but I just demanded my insurance phone be replaced, 6 months later the camera failed. I will not accept a "replacement defective phone" from Verizon or anyone, not at $500 a pop. I do not think they will keep replacing it either, especially if the system is trashed. Thanks.

* Does not look like we are going anywhere tonight. Time for bed. Nite all!

Goose306
03-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Goose,

I tried reading that stuff but there is so much teaching newbies how to use Linux stuff, plus people with rootkeeper already installed that cannot help me, I will really need a custom "how to". I know linux, shell scripts, and sudo, you can skip that stuff. Just what files for someone with 621 and old su binaries still there, if you have a chance. The discussion is interesting but I have to sift out 90% of 31 pages to get any useful data that I do not remember what I am doing anymore. I do appreciate the help though, you are dedicated man. EVen 1KDS made some kind of custom iso, but I can run commands, I just need the right files and some sort of validation that it works and I will not trash a $500 phone. Yes, Verizon still demands $500 to replace a trashed phone unless one has insurance. I do, but I just demanded my insurance phone be replaced, 6 months later the camera failed. I will not accept a "replacement defective phone" from Verizon or anyone, not at $500 a pop. I do not think they will keep replacing it either, especially if the system is trashed. Thanks.

* Does not look like we are going anywhere tonight. Time for bed. Nite all!

Hey Ohmster, I PM'd you back, what you need to do at this point if the temp unroot/adb solution didn't work for you is to do the .604 SBF. Its an all-in-one solution, you don't need seperate binaries or anything. You have two different options:

The first is to PM 1KDS. He posted yesterday he had a test disc for the .604 SBF and root exploit; it could make your life a whole heck of a lot easier; as it will automate the process for you. You can find post (and his profile so you can PM him) as far as I know it hasn't been tested yet, but you'd be doing a service by testing and it could also very well work very easily and painlessly for you:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems-199.html#post541850

If for some reason his disc fails, you will need to do it manually. Refer below:

Download attached archive here:
DX.621_root.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?x31y1kafnan5uy2)
This includes the .604 SBF and the Zergrush v.4 root method.

Follow install instructions here (in OP, under first method - its the same thread I linked you to earlier, but I have updated the OP to be much clearer and detailed on how to do it - guide by skelente)

IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update&#33; - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/)
When it comes time to run the Zergrush exploit (after you are SBF'd) you will need to either execute the program manually (in Windows) or since its a scripting file you can take it apart and run the commands yourself seperatly in a Linux terminal, whichever is preferable.

Boom! You'll be in. Keep in mind this exploit will force you to SBF, so you are going to lose your data. Make sure anything you are concerned about is backed up (that you can back up) contacts synced to server, sms backup if thats a concern, etc. When you're back after the SBF you will have to reactivate and restore.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh man, this is all rocking infor dude. Yes, I desperately need this. I am late for a health appointment, I have much to say when I return. I cannot thank you and 1KDS enough. Tell him Ohmster is really, really appreciative, he got me Pete's original gingerbread script when nothing else worked, he held my hand and really made it all better.

Late, gotta go. TTYL

ohmster
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Goose!

I am starting to understand this stuff a lot better now, thanks to you. Man, you are hardcore to the cause. Wow, amazing brother. Without people like you and 1KDS, we would all be screwed, man.

Okay, I got the boot screen and saw the video, I can do SFB now. I didn't understand the difference. I thought what we were doing was wiping and reinstalling the ROM, but that is not the case. My idea was to find a stock Verizon gingerbread 2.3.3, flash it, root it, and reinstall my stuff from clockwork backup. What is in this clockwork backup? Oh, they are 100Mb tarballs, no way to SBF something like that. I have it all wrong, I guess. I even have a clockwork backup from gingerbread from December and wish I could "go back" using that backup and Pete's SBF installer, but I must be missing something here. Let me look at the zip I downloaded to see what is in it. DX.621_root.zip

Wow, the sbf is huge!

ls -lh
total 730M
drwxrwxr-x 3 paul paul 4.0K Mar 17 09:17 DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 163M Mar 21 01:36 DX.621_root.zip
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 568M Jan 6 16:48 mb809-2.3.5.sbf

ls -lh
total 8.0K
drwxrwxr-x 2 paul paul 4.0K Mar 17 09:17 files
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 3.5K Jan 4 17:18 runme.bat
[paul@paulspcworks DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su]$ vim runme.bat

It is a batch file. I have to do this crap in Windows! Ugh. Oh wow, I am going to wait on this. Yeah, you said I could read the batch and do it in Linux, but batch and Linux are not exactly the same. Pete is good at this stuff, he knows how to make Linux and these phones really get along. Wish he would make the sbf push for Linux.

Hey, in Windows, once connected with USB and proper drivers, I can access my card in explorer to put and take files. What about Linux? Do you guys mount the phone to put and take files that way? How do you do it? Something like this?

sudo mount /dev/usbmon1 /mnt/phone

Or something like that? Or you do not even bother? I can dropbox stuff over and even use ES File manager to do it wireless as I have Linux shares. Just curious because a 165Mb file is a good sized upload.

I am really worried about losing my Verizon ID and then not being able to activate the device. I think serial numbers and mac address are hard coded so I won't lose them, but the system will not match my profile, something to be concerned about until I hear from others about this. Man I have to take a slowdown pill, I was actually going to do this last night, late, and that would have been a disaster. This is a business phone and if I lose it for weeks or months, I am screwed. My own business.

Okay I will wait for some input. You have been so good to me that I do not want to pressure anyone, although we all need solid help and you are making great progress. Waiting on you guys. Thanks all.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey Ohmster, I PM'd you back, what you need to do at this point if the temp unroot/adb solution didn't work for you is to do the .604 SBF. Its an all-in-one solution, you don't need seperate binaries or anything. You have two different options:

The first is to PM 1KDS. He posted yesterday he had a test disc for the .604 SBF and root exploit; it could make your life a whole heck of a lot easier; as it will automate the process for you. You can find post (and his profile so you can PM him) as far as I know it hasn't been tested yet, but you'd be doing a service by testing and it could also very well work very easily and painlessly for you:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems-199.html#post541850

If for some reason his disc fails, you will need to do it manually. Refer below:

Download attached archive here:
DX.621_root.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?x31y1kafnan5uy2)
This includes the .604 SBF and the Zergrush v.4 root method.

Follow install instructions here (in OP, under first method - its the same thread I linked you to earlier, but I have updated the OP to be much clearer and detailed on how to do it - guide by skelente)

IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/)
When it comes time to run the Zergrush exploit (after you are SBF'd) you will need to either execute the program manually (in Windows) or since its a scripting file you can take it apart and run the commands yourself seperatly in a Linux terminal, whichever is preferable.

Boom! You'll be in. Keep in mind this exploit will force you to SBF, so you are going to lose your data. Make sure anything you are concerned about is backed up (that you can back up) contacts synced to server, sms backup if thats a concern, etc. When you're back after the SBF you will have to reactivate and restore.

Yes, I definitely will PM KD, he is really an important element to all of this and he knows me from successful help prior. I can help with this investigation because I will cooperate and report. A lot of guys get help and disappear. I realize the importance of reporting success or failure, supplying details, and awarding praise and recognition. This is a part of helping people and giving back. The subtle praise is psychologically important to the troubleshooter. He earned it and he shall have his ten minutes of fame.

I want to get 1KDS to post anything in this thread so he will get notifications and be aware of any progress made. I have some questions that maybe he can help with and maybe he can help us, I will provide a testbed with reliable feedback, as long as it is safe, I cannot risk destroying my business phone. You have carried the brunt of this task, we need more manpower.

Thanks buddy, BBS. (Be back soon.)

Goose306
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Yes, I definitely will PM KD, he is really an important element to all of this and he knows me from successful help prior. I can help with this investigation because I will cooperate and report. A lot of guys get help and disappear. I realize the importance of reporting success or failure, supplying details, and awarding praise and recognition. This is a part of helping people and giving back. The subtle praise is psychologically important to the troubleshooter. He earned it and he shall have his ten minutes of fame.

I want to get 1KDS to post anything in this thread so he will get notifications and be aware of any progress made. I have some questions that maybe he can help with and maybe he can help us, I will provide a testbed with reliable feedback, as long as it is safe, I cannot risk destroying my business phone. You have carried the brunt of this task, we need more manpower.

Thanks buddy, BBS. (Be back soon.)

Do you need to save your SMS/etc? If not then just backup your contacts on the Google servers and do the linux sbf, should only take 10 minutes Max, then if you a have a Windows box run Zergrush from there. You should be SBF'd, rooted, and activated in less than 30 minutes, tops. Once your back in just activate, restore contacts from Google (if you are really worried you can export your contacts to your sdcard) and then go to Market and restore apps. Your Verizon stuff will remain the same. I don't know if My Verizon apps and whatnot will work, I really just consider that bloat. But you'll be the same account, same phone number, ESN, etc. MAC is actually not hard coded, that's a known issue with the X, but it doesn't really matter. I've sbf'd 20-30 times using both RSD and Linux ever since I've had my X with never having a hiccup with Verizon. Just make sure you use the Linux sbf and you'll be fine... or 1KDS live disc, shouldn't need any help with that, it'll automate the entire process.

You don't need to touch your sdcard. SBF doesn't do anything to that.
Sent from my unthrottled shadow MIUI v4!

ohmster
03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Do you need to save your SMS/etc? If not then just backup your contacts on the Google servers and do the linux sbf, should only take 10 minutes Max, then if you a have a Windows box run Zergrush from there. You should be SBF'd, rooted, and activated in less than 30 minutes, tops. Once your back in just activate, restore contacts from Google (if you are really worried you can export your contacts to your sdcard) and then go to Market and restore apps. Your Verizon stuff will remain the same. I don't know if My Verizon apps and whatnot will work, I really just consider that bloat. But you'll be the same account, same phone number, ESN, etc. MAC is actually not hard coded, that's a known issue with the X, but it doesn't really matter. I've sbf'd 20-30 times using both RSD and Linux ever since I've had my X with never having a hiccup with Verizon. Just make sure you use the Linux sbf and you'll be fine... or 1KDS live disc, shouldn't need any help with that, it'll automate the entire process.

You don't need to touch your sdcard. SBF doesn't do anything to that.

Goose!

SMS? Nah, but I know how to restore all of my Verizon stuff. I use backup manager, google of course, and my favorite is Titanium Backup, which only works once root is restored. But man does it work! Holy cow, this thing puts *everything* back, 90% immediately, within a day or so, the entire phone is restored, including all desktops, contacts, personal data, everything. I could not live without Titanium, with it, I can restore the entire phone in one evening. Now *that* is amazing.

Look man, I am almost ready to do this. I have the correct package, yes? DX.621_root.zip. You saw in my above post the contents of which in a Linux ls command? That is the one, no?

The Linux part I get, the Windows part I am not crazy about to gain root. I wish that were a Linux application, but it is all setup for Windows. That is fine if it works, but darned near all Windows roots have never worked for me and yes, I know what I am doing.

The Verizon apps are crap, all pay per view. Why in hell would I pay for VZ Navigator when google maps an google navigation are free and top shelf? But I would really like my gingerbread desktop back, is there another SBF to restore it or is this a long, arduous project? That is it, answer up and I will launch soon enough and post results with "how to" if it works. Thanks man.

* Update:
I just PM'ed 1KDS in an effort to bring him into the thread. Keeping fingers crossed.

Goose, you are using MIU? You really like that moo-ee stuff? I kind of like the stock gingerbread desktop, it seems well balanced for the DX. Aren't there things in MUI that do not work on a DX?

Goose306
03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Goose!

SMS? Nah, but I know how to restore all of my Verizon stuff. I use backup manager, google of course, and my favorite is Titanium Backup, which only works once root is restored. But man does it work! Holy cow, this thing puts *everything* back, 90% immediately, within a day or so, the entire phone is restored, including all desktops, contacts, personal data, everything. I could not live without Titanium, with it, I can restore the entire phone in one evening. Now *that* is amazing.

Look man, I am almost ready to do this. I have the correct package, yes? DX.621_root.zip. You saw in my above post the contents of which in a Linux ls command? That is the one, no?

The Linux part I get, the Windows part I am not crazy about to gain root. I wish that were a Linux application, but it is all setup for Windows. That is fine if it works, but darned near all Windows roots have never worked for me and yes, I know what I am doing.

The Verizon apps are crap, all pay per view. Why in hell would I pay for VZ Navigator when google maps an google navigation are free and top shelf? But I would really like my gingerbread desktop back, is there another SBF to restore it or is this a long, arduous project? That is it, answer up and I will launch soon enough and post results with "how to" if it works. Thanks man.

That's it. Back up on Google and flash away the SBF. I believe 1KDS converted zergrush to Linux on his live disc, so if you just use his disc it'll he way easier for ya. If you really want to stay away from Windows I'll crack open the .bat file and put the script up to run in Terminal. It'll be tomorrow though, Im not at home to do it. There is no other way to root. You have to do the SBF, and zergrush. Then your free and clear. If you have apps previously saved in Titanium you can restore when re-rooted. User apps only, careful with restoring data.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Goose,

Yeah, I will do it, but I will wait at least a day. I have the time to do it now, but will feel a bit more comfortable when KDS (if) replies and gives grace on the project. I just do not want to overlook anything, this looks like a one way street dude.

Yeah, a Linux root would super rock, but you do not have to reinvent the wheel, if the Windows ABS works, then so be it. The last thing I need in the middle of this is debugging a script while my customers cannot call for jobs. I am not saying you will not get it right but you know how these things go, debugging is always a contingency in these matters. Make the Linux conversion if you are comfortable with it, I would love it and hundred of others will. But I am fine with trying Windows ABS if others have all had success with it, I have the correct drivers installed, I saw ABS being installed with the drivers. I should test it first, is there any way to test run ABS on the phone prior to commitment?

Thanks and enjoy your venture, you need not rush home for me. Goodnight.

* Update:
See? That is me, too gung ho. I see it is 10:30, although I can flash the phone tonight, I will never get it restored unless I am up all night and have an important doctor appointment tomorrow morning. I really need to throttle myself a bit more. :wink:

I am going to try Pete's root tools to test run ABS. I doubt if I will gain root but this should at lease prove I have good ABS tools available. Will let you know.
http://www.psouza4.com/droid3/

Ran temp root test, ADB communication seems to work, temp root failed, but we knew it would as /data/local.prop is locked down, exploit no longer valid on 621. Results below.

** MOTOROLA GINGERBREAD ADB TEMP ROOT **

Use this program to exploit Motorola Gingerbread to gain temporary ADB root!

This one-click feature brought to you by Peter Souza ('psouza4').

This root method is known to work on the following Motorola devices:
o Motorola Cliq and Cliq 2
o Motorola DROID DROID Pro
o Motorola DROID, DROID 2 Global, and DROID 3
o Motorola DROID X and DROID X2

You will need the following:
o Motorola's End User drivers for your version of Windows
o a USB cable connected between your computer and phone
o ADB.EXE and other support files that were packaged with this program

SEARCHING FOR THE PHONE (connect it now if you haven't yet)... found!
Running exploit step 1 of 2 (setting up symlink)... done!
Rebooting your phone... done!
Running exploit step 2 of 2 (modifying local.prop)... done!
Rebooting your phone... done!

ERROR: there was a problem with this procedure.

Reboot the phone (perhaps pull the battery) and try again.

Oh cool, there is a log! Results:

> su
> /system/xbin/su
> mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
> if [ -e /data/local/12m.bak ];
> then
> rm /data/local/12m.bak
> fi
> exit
> exit
su
/system/xbin/su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
if [ -e /data/local/12m.bak ];
$ su
then
rm /data/local/12m.bak
fi
exit
exit
exit
$ /system/xbin/su
$ mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount: Operation not permitted
$ if [ -e /data/local/12m.bak ];
> then
> rm /data/local/12m.bak
> fi
$ exit
$ exit
$ exit
(success)

> mv /data/local/12m /data/local/12m.bak
(success)

> ln -s /data /data/local/12m
(success)

> su
> /system/xbin/su
> if [ -e /data/local/12m ];
> then
> rm /data/local/12m
> fi
> exit
> exit
su
/system/xbin/su
if [ -e /data/local/12m ];
$ su
then
rm /data/local/12m
fi
exit
exit
$ /system/xbin/su
$ if [ -e /data/local/12m ];
> then
> rm /data/local/12m
> fi
$ exit
$ exit
$ exit
(success)

> mv /data/local/12m.bak /data/local/12m
(success)

> su
> /system/xbin/su
> if [ -e /data/local.prop.bak ];
> then
> rm /data/local.prop.bak
> fi
> exit
> exit
su
/system/xbin/su
if [ -e /data/local.prop.bak ];
$ su
then
rm /data/local.prop.bak
fi
exit
exit
exit
$ /system/xbin/su
$ if [ -e /data/local.prop.bak ];
> then
> rm /data/local.prop.bak
> fi
$ exit
$ exit
$ exit
(success)

> mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
> echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
$ exit
(success)

> su
> /system/xbin/su
> exit
> exit
su
/system/xbin/su
$ su
exit
exit
exit
$ /system/xbin/su
$ exit
$ exit
$ exit
(success)

1KDS
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Wow this thread has blown up! Ohmster, I think you are over thinking the process here, let me try to explain it simply. A .sbf file is a file built by Motorola for Motorola phones, (system boot file, system binary file, whatever). Flashing this file to your phone will restore it to stock, generally it does not delete user data such as apps, contacts etc, often times this new stock system is very different from the system your phone had previously and it will bootloop rather than fully boot up, at this point you will have to factory reset which will delete all user data. There is a Windows program used to flash .sbf files, RSD Lite, there is also a Linux utility used to flash them, sbf_flash. RSD Lite will overwrite everything but sbf_flash does not overwrite the baseband/radio.
At this point you have two options:
1. Stay where you are with 4.5.621 and no root
2. Use sbf_flash on your CentOS box to flash the Milestone X 4.5.604 .sbf file, then root

sbf_flash is super simple, download it and put it in a folder, put the sbf file in the same folder. Open terminal and cd to the new folder,

chmod +x sbf_flash
./sbf_flash filename.sbf

Run those commands after connecting the DX with the stock USB cable, with the DX in bootloader mode.

I'm also working on a Linux appliance to do this, it is SliTaz (awesome little distro) with the MX 4.5.604 sbf file and a few scripts and init.d tweaks that will automate the process. The new image is in testing right now but since you already have Linux installed and are comfortable with it you don't necessarily need my new image.

ohmster
03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Wow this thread has blown up! Ohmster, I think you are over thinking the process here, let me try to explain it simply. A .sbf file is a file built by Motorola for Motorola phones, (system boot file, system binary file, whatever). Flashing this file to your phone will restore it to stock, generally it does not delete user data such as apps, contacts etc, often times this new stock system is very different from the system your phone had previously and it will bootloop rather than fully boot up, at this point you will have to factory reset which will delete all user data. There is a Windows program used to flash .sbf files, RSD Lite, there is also a Linux utility used to flash them, sbf_flash. RSD Lite will overwrite everything but sbf_flash does not overwrite the baseband/radio.
At this point you have two options:
1. Stay where you are with 4.5.621 and no root
2. Use sbf_flash on your CentOS box to flash the Milestone X 4.5.604 .sbf file, then root

sbf_flash is super simple, download it and put it in a folder, put the sbf file in the same folder. Open terminal and cd to the new folder,

chmod +x sbf_flash
./sbf_flash filename.sbf

Run those commands after connecting the DX with the stock USB cable, with the DX in bootloader mode.

I'm also working on a Linux appliance to do this, it is SliTaz (awesome little distro) with the MX 4.5.604 sbf file and a few scripts and init.d tweaks that will automate the process. The new image is in testing right now but since you already have Linux installed and are comfortable with it you don't necessarily need my new image.

Oh God, you made it! Thank you thank you thank you!

Well yeah I am over thinking it. I have no idea of what I am doing and goose is sending me all over the globe for research, but the 34 page thread was 95% non-informative. I had to speed read and skip most of it. Goose is good, I am comfortable with him. Now I saw the SBF movie and can for sure do that.

I needed you in here to double check things and you did just that, you found what I overlooked. Goose did say that the Linux flash would be safe for the phone, but the Windows one would overwrite everything. I do not have the Linux root, only the RSD Lite one. Now I am not touching it. This has to be a SAFE recovery and I will document it.

When you get time, please, I need the Linux sbf file, and a double check link for the Milestone file. I think this is the right link, verify please. You got me on target for gingerbread root, you can do this.

6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found! - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621-rootable-sbf-apparently-found/)

Thanks 1KDS, goodnight. Oh, thanks for the education. Now I can drop back down a gear or two. :smile:

1KDS
03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
PM'd the sbf file, you can grab sbf_flash direct from the developer, Google sbf_flash and it should be the first result. Optical delusion is the name of his site.

[mobile]

ohmster
03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Okay, I think I have the necessary files now. I have an sbf file with an insanely long filename. (What in the heck were you smoking when you came up with that file name? Can I shorten it?) I have dxroot. I think that is it to get Milestone rooted and online with Verizon.

Last questions for now:
1.) Is there a way to get stock gingerbread desktop back or not worth the effort?
2.) Are these the two files I need? Both Linux files.

Thank you and goodnight, again, for real.

1KDS
03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Okay, I think I have the necessary files now. I have an sbf file with an insanely long filename. (What in the heck were you smoking when you came up with that file name? Can I shorten it?) I have dxroot. I think that is it to get Milestone rooted and online with Verizon.

Last questions for now:
1.) Is there a way to get stock gingerbread desktop back or not worth the effort?
2.) Are these the two files I need? Both Linux files.

Thank you and goodnight, again, for real.

You can shorten the file name if you like, but unzip it first then rename the .sbf. This will bring you back to the stock gingerbread setup. You need the .sbf file, sbf_flash and whatever root method you have used before, droid 3 or zergrush.

Goose306
03-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the assistance 1KDS; you simplified the terminology I was looking for. I'm used to debugging for developers, so I forget that sometimes.

BTW, can confirm is successful with SBF to .604 and root. Just did it myself to test the new radio. Be careful if flashing blur-based ROMs though, some give issues (Liberty just gave me a bootloader error, re-sbfing). No reported problems on 2nd-init based systems...

1KDS
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the extra info goose

[mobile]

1KDS
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Ohmster, if you haven't flashed yet, I would hold off, some issues arising in the thread at rootzwiki

ohmster
03-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Ohmster, if you haven't flashed yet, I would hold off, some issues arising in the thread at rootzwiki

I am hung up on personal, medical, and legal issues right now (Civil, not criminal for disability benefits.) so I cannot work on the phone until I get a clear head. No, I will not be doing any work or flashing anytime soon. Please find out about these issues and see if they apply. I plan to do all work in Linux. See if what I have are the right files please. Get 1KDS to confirm it if possible.

[paul@paulspcworks android_4.5.621]$ ls -lh
total 8.0K
drwxrwxr-x 2 paul paul 4.0K Mar 17 01:42 dxroot
drwxrwxr-x 2 paul paul 4.0K Mar 22 00:14 Linux_SBF

[paul@paulspcworks android_4.5.621]$ cd dxroot/
[paul@paulspcworks dxroot]$ ls -lh
total 3.9M
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul 332K Aug 25 2011 adb.linux
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 168K Aug 25 2011 adb.osx
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 1.8M Sep 20 2010 busybox
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 1.4M Sep 10 2011 droid_easy_root_v7d.zip
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul 4.6K Aug 25 2011 run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 26K Sep 20 2010 su
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 192K Sep 20 2010 Superuser.apk

[paul@paulspcworks dxroot]$ cd ../Linux_SBF
[paul@paulspcworks Linux_SBF]$ ls -lh
total 568M
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 568M Jan 6 16:48 1FF-p3a_xxxxow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.5-4.5.1_57_MX2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x-US.sbf
-rwxrwxr-x 1 paul paul 54K Oct 8 23:22 sbf_flash
[paul@paulspcworks Linux_SBF]$

I munged out a LOT of the insanely long file name, not sure if you want that published. If this must be removed, email me at once and I can pull it down from my phone!

What do you guys think? Do I have the right stuff? Execute what files in what order? Hold on the sbf for now? Sure, my phone works great and I must keep it that way. Keep me updated please.

Must sleep now, burning the candle at both ends and I cannot flash a phone in this condition. Thanks guys. You rock.

Goodnight.

ohmster /at/ ohmster dot com

dxroot is what I used initially to root gingerbread. Listed above. There is a newer one that looks like it would work, but not on 621 as it exploits an open /data directory, which, in 621, is now slammed shut. New version, all Linux:

[paul@paulspcworks DROID 3 Easy Root script v7d]$ ls -lh
total 3.9M
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul 332K Aug 25 2011 adb.linux
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 168K Aug 25 2011 adb.osx
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 1.8M Sep 20 2010 busybox
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 1.4M Mar 21 00:39 droid_easy_root_v7d.zip
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul 4.6K Aug 25 2011 run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 26K Sep 20 2010 su
-rwxr--r-- 1 paul paul 192K Sep 20 2010 Superuser.apk
[paul@paulspcworks DROID 3 Easy Root script v7d]$

Do I have the right stuff? Everything I have is Linux. I do have the Windows RSD Lite package, but I hear it will destroy the radido and henceforth, the phone actually being "a phone" afterwards.

1KDS
03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Looks like you have the right files, I have now remastered a Linux distro that has the sbf file and the root script built in, you can run it off a live cd and it will do all the work for you - Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems (http://bit.ly/1KDStaz). If you choose to use the 4.5.604 sbf file, you should probably not flash any blur based ROMs, people seem to be having problems with them, you should be able to use the 2nd init ROMs like CM though.

Goose306
03-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Looks like you have the right files, I have now remastered a Linux distro that has the sbf file and the root script built in, you can run it off a live cd and it will do all the work for you - Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems (http://bit.ly/1KDStaz). If you choose to use the 4.5.604 sbf file, you should probably not flash any blur based ROMs, people seem to be having problems with them, you should be able to use the 2nd init ROMs like CM though.

I patched the blur-based ROMs if you want those too. You have to manually enter some WIFI settings because the Milestone kernel acts a bit wonky with the WIFI on those ROMs, but thats about all. They're over under DX GB ROMs. You can't flash the original versions because they have the .605 kernel (I believe) which causes a soft-brick and you have to SBF. Removing that portion fixes it and it boots just fine, just have to set your DX IP to static and use Google's DNS servers.

ohmster
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
What are blur based ROMs? I have never installed a ROM on this phone ever. I have clockwork mod and a backup from December. But without root, clockwork is not going to work.

Right now I am sweating like a pig in South Florida. The power company is doing maintenance and 6 hours with no air conditioner is brutal!

You guys have given me so many choices that this is a bit confusing and that is something I can not take a chance with. So I guess it is time for some basic questions.

Do I have to change the a ROM in the phone? If so, what tool do I use for that?

Will and an SBF file work instead of a ROM?

Then I can root the phone?

Then do I have to change anything to make it a stock Verizon type of phone?

I can ask better questions when I get my computer and power restored. Thanks guys!

1KDS
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
What are blur based ROMs? I have never installed a ROM on this phone ever.
Blur based ROMs are ROMs based off the stock Motorola firmware, the 2nd init ROMs are based on Android source code.

Do I have to change the a ROM in the phone? If so, what tool do I use for that?
No, you don't have to install a custom ROM, I just thought you had previously

Will and an SBF file work instead of a ROM?
Yes, the SBF is what you will need, forget we talked about ROMs, they aren't necessary, just an option.

Then I can root the phone?
Yes, after using the 4.5.604 sbf you will be able to root.

It will be the firmware from an nTelos Milestone X (the unbranded Droid X) it will still work on Verizon's network.

Goose306
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
If you want MMS at this time you will need to flash another ROM. You use Clockworkmod Recovery to do this. I'm trying to figure out why its not allowing MMS when on the Milestone X version, as all the APNs are set correctly but its not sticking through. So FYI if MMS is important to you you will need to flash another ROM after rooting, at this time at least.

ohmster
03-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Blur based ROMs are ROMs based off the stock Motorola firmware, the 2nd init ROMs are based on Android source code.

No, you don't have to install a custom ROM, I just thought you had previously

I like the stock gingerbread desktop, just want root.

Yes, the SBF is what you will need, forget we talked about ROMs, they aren't necessary, just an option.

Roger that. You must remember, I am a total newbie. I know Linux, rooted my phone twice, but never have done an SBF or ROM before. I heard about ROMS, read about them, and was not impressed by the appearance changes and the fact that some of the stuff don't work. It is like taking a perfectly good $500 phone and experimenting with beta software on it. Unlike beta software, this cannot easily be removed or at all maybe. Plus, it could brick the phone.

Yes, after using the 4.5.604 sbf you will be able to root.

It will be the firmware from an nTelos Milestone X (the unbranded Droid X) it will still work on Verizon's network.

I got sidetracked today with Comcast having tech problems today and yesterday. I wanted to come here, had not net, ETA was almost 5 hours to repair, and thought, I have a phone, it has a modem, it has internet, why can't I use the USB cable to bring internet to the phone? Just then, I got back some internet and found the answer. Turn on USB tethering. I tried it and yahoo! I had a real, broadband internet connection for free. I turned off hot spot because I did not use it enough to justify the extra $20 a month and this was free! I could not belive my luck.

Like any good scientist, I had to reproduce this phenomina and also wanted to pull my Ethernet cable and do a speed test. The second time I did this, I got no ping anymore and any website resulted in a redirect to Verizon where I could pay $20 to turn on hotspot and tethering. Arrrgggh! Not so free after all. I was NOT amused. This was my answer to Comcast going down and still needing Internet. A quick google search turned up a free program called clockwork tether for non-rooted phones. Well, it could not hurt, could it? So I tried it.

Holy cow, it worked! I plugged in the phone, began the tether app (you have to plug in the phone first or it will never find a server.) and I was on, new internet connection #7. Home or Public? Home please. And that was it. Now I can use my phone to power my PC with internet for free if Comcast goes down. This is so freaking kewl dudes!

Anyway, you have answered many of my questions.

Can I see a picture of this milestone thing? How much different will it be from verizon gingerbread? I can root it. Can I then activate it, use verizon backup manager to restore my stuff? If not, google will do most of it and Titanium has a good backup on card once I get root back. Will anything be broken?

Can I use the stuff I have or should I use the KD CD iso? I already have a working Linux and know how to use it. I just want to get the phone to where I can root it. This is the page where I am looking:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

I think I need the gingerbread 4.5.602, what is this root version? Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.602_root.iso

Can I do this without having to boot to Ubuntu or is it really better and easier to just download the iso, run it, boot to Ubuntu, and follow the instructions? Will it give me root? Will all my stuff be lost? Will my card be left intact? Can I restore with Titanium once rooted or will it not work on this version, my Titanium backup was from verizon gingerbread 2.3.3. How do I activate or explain why I must activate an already avtivated phone to verizon?

I am ready guys, give me some help and I will go go go!

Oh wait a minute man, 1KDS has presented so many options I do not know what I need. He has 6 different versions to download, one of which looks like what I need but scares me:

Download - 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (http://goo.gl/WBnOy) (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread)
210.8mb (210,763,776 bytes)
MD5 (1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso) = b8d32cfca4d138f3076b0bf85ae6318e
This is a special image. It is used for those that have taken the 4.5.621 OTA update and have lost root. This image uses the nTelos Milestone X 4.5.604 sbf file. This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root. Only use this file if you are on 4.5.621 or already on 4.5.604.

Uh, this means I cannot use my phone with Verizon anymore? They are my providers, I cannot ditch Verizon! I took the 4.5.621 OTA update and have lost root. Apparently I can root it. But what then? I will have no phone number or Verizon service after that? Verizon uses a special app when you get the phone to activate it, does this image come with the activation app or how do I get it activated?

Oh help dudes. I am too scared to do this now.

ohmster
03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
If you want MMS at this time you will need to flash another ROM. You use Clockworkmod Recovery to do this. I'm trying to figure out why its not allowing MMS when on the Milestone X version, as all the APNs are set correctly but its not sticking through. So FYI if MMS is important to you you will need to flash another ROM after rooting, at this time at least.
MMS? You mean text messages? Of course I need text messaging! I have a clockwork backup from December on the card from Gingerbread 2.3.3. Will that bring text messaging back? I use text all the time and if this will break it, this is a no go.

Goose306
03-31-2012, 01:56 AM
You can text fine. SMS is text. MMS is picture message. If that is a deal breaker you will be out if you want to stay stock rooted, at least at this time. I really think a solution for blur based ROMs (such as stock rooted) will require a kernel update for everything to work "as it should". I'm working on it but not near done. In the meantime if you want everything to work "out of the box" after flashing, you need to move to 2nd-init. That's just sorta the way it is now. I hacked the blur-based ROMs together so they work with static IPs for WIFI as they are now... I'm trying to get an unsecured 621 kernel and that should resolve all problems. But that hasn't happened yet

Sent from my unthrottled 4.0.4 GummyX!

ohmster
03-31-2012, 03:01 AM
You can text fine. SMS is text. MMS is picture message. If that is a deal breaker you will be out if you want to stay stock rooted, at least at this time. I really think a solution for blur based ROMs (such as stock rooted) will require a kernel update for everything to work "as it should". I'm working on it but not near done. In the meantime if you want everything to work "out of the box" after flashing, you need to move to 2nd-init. That's just sorta the way it is now. I hacked the blur-based ROMs together so they work with static IPs for WIFI as they are now... I'm trying to get an unsecured 621 kernel and that should resolve all problems. But that hasn't happened yet

Sent from my unthrottled 4.0.4 GummyX!

...oh. I sure like sending pictures in text messages but it is not a "dealbreaker", I guess. I will do this in Linux, would prefer to do it with my own system rather than boot to Ubuntu, but I do keep an Ubuntu Live disc in my computer repair bad to retrieve customer files prior to reinstalling Windows for really messed up systems or super bad viruses. I like Ubuntu because the Mini XP on Hiren's ethernet or wifi startup is nearly impossible to use or get running for network support, this could be due to a laptop where the network drivers are not available in XP, so I use a large USB drive to save an image or all data files. Mini XP shows any huge USB drive as 2Mb in size, Ubuntu always reports an accurate size and copying lots of stuff over is a snap.

I only have the one huge filename sbf file that I got from KDS for Linux SBF'ing. Yet on his disc creation page, he lists 6 different iso files with different SBF files on them, pick the one you need most. Which one is that for me, goose? Look how many, Goose. Which one do I need? I can DL the iso, then extract the SBF, then install it manually with Pete's tool or whatever script KDS has on the iso file.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

Which of the six of the above SBF iso files do I need to get the SBF from?

Download - 1KDStaz0.9.iso (2.3.340 FroYo)
295mb (309,329,920 bytes)
Download - 1KDStaz0.9_4.5.596.iso (4.5.596 Gingerbread)
221mb (231,735,296 bytes)
Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.602.iso (4.5.602 Gingerbread)
221mb (231,735,296 bytes)
Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.602_root.iso (4.5.602 Gingerbread)
225mb (235,929,600 bytes)
(This version will let you root with D3 or ZergRush method after the SBF is done, also has root only option)
Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.605.iso (4.5.605 Gingerbread)
229mb (234,881,024 bytes)
(This version will let you root with D3 or ZergRush method after the SBF is done, also has root only option)
Download - 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread)
210.8mb (210,763,776 bytes)
This is a special image. It is used for those that have taken the 4.5.621 OTA update and have lost root. This image uses the nTelos Milestone X 4.5.604 sbf file. This results in a non-Verizon system but you are able to use ZergRush (included) to root. Only use this file if you are on 4.5.621 or already on 4.5.604.

I think that 5 or 6 is what I need, 5 gives latest version and can be rooted. "Has root only option", what does that mean? 6 seems more like my situation but says I will have a non-Verizon phone. What will this "Break"? If it is Verizon apps, they are costly bloatware junk so I do not care about them. Losing any function on the phone simply will not do.

What do you think, Goose and 1KDS? I want to get this done, maybe this weekend. The video said this takes about 12 minutes. Then do a factory reset. Then use the activator button when you first start to get back online with Verizon. Then fill in all the account info for Google, Comcast, yahoo, and all that stuff to get your data back. I will use Backup Manager if this version has it, but that is a Verizon app so it is not likely available in a non-Verizon OS. Then I can use almost any Linux root script like "Droid 3 Easy Root v7d" or dxroot, both of them written by Pete Souza so we know they are good stuff.

Do you know if I can then grant root to Titanium Backup in order to do a full restore from December like I did when I got my phone replaced under warranty? I choose batch restore, data & apps, and everything came back! That was great but I was tired, my desktop still wasn't setup the way I wanted it. Yet, the next morning even ALL of my desktops were back! Will I be able to use that?

Is an actual Verizon kernel that you are working on visible on the horizon and worth waiting for? I have an offer to get the best phone, anyone I want, from Verizon for a single, one time fee of $200, I get 4G and all rates remained grandfathered, NO change to my monthly bill. I am seriously thinking of taking them up on that offer boys. So, maybe, I can take a chance if not TOO much of a chance on this DX, once I have the two Benjamins
set aside.

I also want free USB tethering, clockwork tether is free as a 13 day demo, but works like a bat out of hell! When Comcast dropped out, I had my PC online at DSL speed. Now *that*, as a freebie or one time low cost app I really want. I got away with it the first time I tried it vanilla, the 2nd time all I got were redirects to Verizon where I could sign up for hotspot at $20 a month, every month. Clockwork non-root tether did get around it, but root might allow me to do this free anyway. I will start a new thread for it, this one is getting very full and that is off topic.

I want the right SBF, come one guys, help me out. I will root it and then what, leave it that way or ROM back to something similar or actually to Verizon gingerbread? I do not know how to ROM.

Grabbed #5 and looked inside. No SBF file, only one 221.4Mb rootfs.gz file. Looks like no way around doing the full burn and boot option. Oh, there is a rootfs file archive. nin, dev, etc, home, no data directory, so this is NOT a Verizon Droid X filesystem but it might work. I will wait for further information, it is very late now and I did a lot of research for one night. Heck, where are those data and config directories?

1KDS and Goose, which SBF do I really want/need? I am ready to go. Thnx.

1KDS
03-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Can I see a picture of this milestone thing?
I don't have a screenshot but I believe it is pretty close.

How much different will it be from verizon gingerbread?
Should be fairly similar from what I understand, I never went to 4.5.621 so I have never had to flash it.

Can I then activate it, use verizon backup manager to restore my stuff?
No, VZW Backup Assistant won't be available on the nTelos build

Will anything be broken?
MMS, Goose said. Like I said above, I haven't tried this so Goose would be more of an authority on what works and what doesn't

Can I use the stuff I have or should I use the KD CD iso?
Up to you, the iso has everything in one place so it may be the way to go.

I think I need the gingerbread 4.5.602, what is this root version? Download - 1KDStaz_DX_4.5.602_root.iso
No, you need the MX_4.5.604.iso

Can I do this without having to boot to Ubuntu or is it really better and easier to just download the iso, run it, boot to Ubuntu, and follow the instructions? Will it give me root? Will all my stuff be lost? Will my card be left intact?
If you use the iso file I have provided there is no need for Ubuntu, the iso will SBF and root. It will not touch the sd card. It will remove all user data (you will have to factory reset in the process)

Can I restore with Titanium once rooted or will it not work on this version, my Titanium backup was from verizon gingerbread 2.3.3.
Yes, Ti will work fine.

How do I activate or explain why I must activate an already avtivated phone to verizon?
You shouldn't have to activate since the baseband won't change. If for some odd reason you have to, just dial *228, it's an automated process.

Oh wait a minute man, 1KDS has presented so many options I do not know what I need. He has 6 different versions to download, one of which looks like what I need but scares me:
(1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso)
That's the one.

Uh, this means I cannot use my phone with Verizon anymore? They are my providers, I cannot ditch Verizon! I took the 4.5.621 OTA update and have lost root. Apparently I can root it. But what then? I will have no phone number or Verizon service after that? Verizon uses a special app when you get the phone to activate it, does this image come with the activation app or how do I get it activated?
Yes, you can still use it with Verizon, if you're are talking about the Backup Assistant, that is just bloatware IMO, Google backs up your contacts and you can use Ti to restore your apps with data.

Oh help dudes. I am too scared to do this now.
You don't have to do all this, you can stay at 4.5.621 just with no root. It's possible that a new root exploit will be found.

ohmster
03-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I talk to darned much and will try to keep this short, getting super close to ground zero.

Thanks KD. I guess what you are saying is to just use the iso, burn the CD, and follow instructions. Seems like you put a lot of work into these CDs and I *hope* all have them been tested and work without bricking the phone or removing the radio. I need the scary one because I fit into that category.

1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread)

I like to do this own Linux PC and not rely on blind trust that this CD will boot the OS, run the proper script, SBF my phone, and give me root. All that, PLUS contingencies. Contingencies are rough, these are the things that go wrong that we did not expect to happen or are prepaired for. "Ooops, forgot about that" or worse, "Oh man, never saw that before, I need to refigure this whole thing out". By then, it is too late, somebody is now holding a $500 brick in their hands and cannot make or reveive business or social calls anymore, much less use the internet on the phone.

So, is that it? Forget the 1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma[snip!].sbf file, and use the CD? Is the 1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma[snip!].sbf the same file or SBF that is inside of the (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread) iso listed above?

The video is very, very helpful, thanks guys! It does show what the Milestone screen looks like briefly.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/38325-video-guide-how-sbf-your-droid-x-without-using-rsdlite.html

I am downloading "1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread)" as we speak, will burn the iso to CD, put my phone in bootloader mode (cam, vol down, power. Screen flash, let go of buttons, see bootloader on phone screen. Connect phone to PC, allow bootloader to run. Perform a factory reset on the phone. When can I zergrush the root? Instructions or script on the CD?

Can I use this method instead? I will stick with yours and gooses recommendations.

If you already use Linux as your OS of choice you can flash with your current system, grab sbf_flash (http://blog.opticaldelusion.org/2010/05/sbfflash.html) and the SBF file (http://bit.ly/droidxsbf) then simply cd to where you put the files, then:
chmod +x sbf_flash
./sbf_flash VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf (if you are using the full .340 file)

I have sbf_flash and know it will work on my system. Finding the RIGHT SBF file is a problem. I see the page you link to is no longer updated, a link is provided to the updated file downloads, "Droid X SBF Files". I do not see 4.5.604 listed on that page. You have nine SBF files for direct SBF'ing and the last one is marked with very stern warnings:

*****Do not use the 4.5.621 SBF file unless you took the OTA update, you won't be able to use any other SBF after updating or flashing to .621*****

That would appear to be me but this is not what we are talking about with the CD method.

Can I use this method?
Is the SBF file that I need available on your Droid X SBF Files (http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/home) page? (Follow link at top of that page to get to the real, updated page of files.)
Which SBF file will I need out of the nine?
Where can I get zergrush? It appears to be a Windows file, I see some people wrote it for Linux, but it does a "free space check", gets it wrong saying 90% space used, and deletes google maps to save space. I cannot have this. What I found:

[HOW-TO] Root Phones w/ Android v2.2.x-2.3.x (zergRush Method) (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=18615502#post8615502) Halfway down the page, a person seems to have addressed the google maps deletion issue and posted his modified versionm under section 2b) "amishxda's modified Linux script..." his file. zergRush_automated_Linux_root.zip (http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=836511&d=1325681263)

Is this safe, will it work? Or do you have a "good" Linux zergrush root shell script? Please give link to file.

Bottom line: Ready to SBF & Root Droid X 4.5.621 (MB810.Verizon.en.US)

A.) Use 1KDS - 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread) iso file.

B.) Use 1KDS - "If you already use Linux as your OS of choice you can flash with your current system, grab sbf_flash and the SBF file then simply cd to where you put the files,..."

B1.) Do you have the necessary SBF file online on the Droid X SBF Files page, if so, which one?

Thank you. Waiting on your answer to initiate launch sequence. I guess that is it, man.

1KDS
03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
A is probably the simplest way since it has the zergrush root script built in. If you want to do it on your own you can find the sbf file at the site you mention but in the Milestone X section. You would then have to find the linux zergrush root script, I don't remember where I got that one.

ohmster
03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
A is probably the simplest way since it has the zergrush root script built in. If you want to do it on your own you can find the sbf file at the site you mention but in the Milestone X section. You would then have to find the linux zergrush root script, I don't remember where I got that one.

I would *love* to do this on my own with sbf_flash but then I have to find zergrush and this issue of deleting google maps is troubling. THAT is one of the few apps that I depend upon several times every week. How else can I find all these people's houses and businesses to work on their computer systems? Google Maps, and I think if you were aware of the root procedure deleting such an important app, you would caution us about it or get that stupid issue removed from the script!

The thread is now at 6 pages and I have yet to do something to the phone. I will stop fighting the CD and go with it. You went through a hell of a lot of work to produce all of these Linux distribution iso files that only contain what is necessary to SBF and root the phone. That, my friend, is no small achievement. The least that I can do to honor all of your and gooses efforts is to use the darned thing. Thank you. Let me clear my head, eat something, and see if I can get this done this weekend.

If you know that this will delete Google Maps, TELL ME please! Other than no pictures in SMS messages I am aware of. Once done and verified to work and all is well, would you (can I) then update the phone above 4.5.604? Is that even necessary? I do not think there are any "goodies" missing above 604, just hardened down the system against rooting. I would like to regain SMS with pictures, I think that goose is working on that. Will you please keep me updated? Thank you for ALL of your hard work, I will report any progress or regress resulted by this procedure. It is already late, need dinner, and must work on a PC tonight so this will wait at least another day.

1KDS
03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure what the issues are with Google maps, someone else may be able to chime in on that. There are no more updates to do, the 4.5.621 is likely the last one from VZW for the DX and you already have and don't want that.

ohmster
03-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh no....

You are right, I do not want to go back to 621. Google Maps is important. I really need an aswer to that. Anybody here use these iso SBF files successfully? Have any signifigant issues afterwards? Do you have/still have Google Maps?

The iso SBF is not was causes the loss of Google Maps, but the zergrush root script may improperly report no available space on the device, resulting in a deletion of Google Maps to make space available. This is a reported bug with zergrush Linux root, not the SBF file itself. Anyone have this issue?

Has anyone used zergrush Linux root and lost their Google Maps as a result? Are there *any* issues you encountered during the process? Please report in. Thank you.

(Might have to search the forums but this is such a new issue it might warrent a new post.)

Thanks everybody. Please report in.

1KDS
03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
I've used zergrush on Linux plenty of times and never had any issues with it. Unless it has something to do with running zergrush on the .604 firmware.

[mobile]

ohmster
03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
I've used zergrush on Linux plenty of times and never had any issues with it. Unless it has something to do with running zergrush on the .604 firmware.

[mobile]

Cool, thanks. Since I did not know where to get it, I googled for it and found most of it was Windows based. I looked for a Linux version and found one, but the guy who wrote it made a 2nd version, and it was reported to have the Google Maps issue.

Since you have zergrush Linux and used a good copy, that is a LOT different than me going out into the bush to hunt it down. I will use yours, I am sure that it will be okay. You are not infallible as are the rest of us, but with your experience doing this and writing, debugging, and development, I will put my money on 1KDS and goose306 any day of the week.

Now I have to finish this PC for a friend, it has over 4 years of constant, no maintenance neglect on it, dust bunnies the size of golf and tennis balls, heat sinks & fans choked beyond 50%, and is now sending virus emails to everyone in his contact list, I got my work cut out for me. I want to do a data backup, wipe, and fresh install, but the guy has programs that he cannot find anymore and wants it left intact. Good luck with that. Still, it is worth a hundred bucks and I need the money.

Thanks!

ohmster
04-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Uhmmm, I made the CD. Took a picture of it with my Droid X. Who knows, maybe this will be the last picture I get from my DX.

I can't do this tonight, it is late, just to reconfigure the phone would take all night without any "surprises".

Just wanted to say thank you to 1KDS and goose306 for all of the hard work and diligence that they have put into producing this and the other discs. Not to mention the countless unpaid hours, sitting in at the help desk. Answering all questions, never blowing anybody off (that did not have it coming), and just making all of this a reality. This is what the Open Source movement is really all about. Programmers, developers, authors, clerks, typists, technicians, designers, and even "Joe Six Pack (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Joe%20Sixpack)" (Thank you Sarah Palin.). I want this to work so bad, mostly to get my root back, and yes, a little bit to help validate all the work you guys did on this and countless other projects, help, and advice.

If anyone has used 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso here, please let us know what happened. This is the Droid X Milestone version 4.5.604 SBF flash CD file. Burn the disc, boot to disc, follow instructions and have your phone ready in bootloader mode, cable attached and ready for USB insertion.

...anybody?

Goose306
04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Uhmmm, I made the CD. Took a picture of it with my Droid X. Who knows, maybe this will be the last picture I get from my DX.

I can't do this tonight, it is late, just to reconfigure the phone would take all night without any "surprises".

Just wanted to say thank you to 1KDS and goose306 for all of the hard work and diligence that they have put into producing this and the other discs. Not to mention the countless unpaid hours, sitting in at the help desk. Answering all questions, never blowing anybody off (that did not have it coming), and just making all of this a reality. This is what the Open Source movement is really all about. Programmers, developers, authors, clerks, typists, technicians, designers, and even "Joe Six Pack (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Joe%20Sixpack)" (Thank you Sarah Palin.). I want this to work so bad, mostly to get my root back, and yes, a little bit to help validate all the work you guys did on this and countless other projects, help, and advice.

If anyone has used 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso here, please let us know what happened. This is the Droid X Milestone version 4.5.604 SBF flash CD file. Burn the disc, boot to disc, follow instructions and have your phone ready in bootloader mode, cable attached and ready for USB insertion.

...anybody?

Yup your on it. I use this same disc myself quite regularly. Just turn off computer, insert disc, boot off disc. Give it a minute for it all to load, put phone in bootloader with fully charged battery, connect USB, choose the run the SBF, do the data wipe at the end once its done as instructed, once your in the Milestone X system it should stay fully Verizon activated. Go ahead and once you get logged in to your Google account initially (or bypassing it) go ahead and run the Zergrush option, again on the disc (just stay booted into the disc the entire time your getting your phone back in to your Google account). It may delete Google Maps, if so no worries. You can re-install it from the Market after you are rooted.

After rooting success, you can power down your computer and boot in to OS of choice, you are successfully rooted and should be good to go. The only known or reported issue on .604 stock so far is the MMS issue (no picture messages coming through).

This is all you need to know for SBFing and getting the root access and what to expect. The Verizon apps are missing as noted, they are bloat anywho.

<------------------------------------->
With that being said, I would *highly* recommend you read up on doing ROMs. Flashing a secondary ROM will resolve all issues, so if you like MMS you can have it. Most of them also perform better than the stock Motoblur system as well, as in 2x-3x more speed and efficiency. Most also have no issues, especially 2nd-init ROMs such as CM7, CM9, MIUI, etc. While this is a topic for another day together, I would highly recommend after you get yourself situated and comfortable in your new rooted system to do some readups on the ROM threads here in the Gingerbread Development and Hacking section. It is super easy to flash a ROM (easier than this SBF you are now performing anyways) and everything will just *work* better than it does on the Motoblur interface.

ohmster
04-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Yup your on it. I use this same disc myself quite regularly. Just turn off computer, insert disc, boot off disc. Give it a minute for it all to load, put phone in bootloader with fully charged battery, connect USB, choose the run the SBF, do the data wipe at the end once its done as instructed, once your in the Milestone X system it should stay fully Verizon activated. Go ahead and once you get logged in to your Google account initially (or bypassing it) go ahead and run the Zergrush option, again on the disc (just stay booted into the disc the entire time your getting your phone back in to your Google account). It may delete Google Maps, if so no worries. You can re-install it from the Market after you are rooted.

After rooting success, you can power down your computer and boot in to OS of choice, you are successfully rooted and should be good to go. The only known or reported issue on .604 stock so far is the MMS issue (no picture messages coming through).

This is all you need to know for SBFing and getting the root access and what to expect. The Verizon apps are missing as noted, they are bloat anywho.

<------------------------------------->
With that being said, I would *highly* recommend you read up on doing ROMs. Flashing a secondary ROM will resolve all issues, so if you like MMS you can have it. Most of them also perform better than the stock Motoblur system as well, as in 2x-3x more speed and efficiency. Most also have no issues, especially 2nd-init ROMs such as CM7, CM9, MIUI, etc. While this is a topic for another day together, I would highly recommend after you get yourself situated and comfortable in your new rooted system to do some readups on the ROM threads here in the Gingerbread Development and Hacking section. It is super easy to flash a ROM (easier than this SBF you are now performing anyways) and everything will just *work* better than it does on the Motoblur interface.

Thanks Goose. That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. And I got the answer from an experienced modder, you have done this stuff enough times to know "when it goes bad" and can report accuratly what led to it and even how to correct it. You have the right phone, you did this yourself, it worked, everything I need is on the CD and I am grateful for that.

Oh! Good tip and heads up. "...with fully charged battery". Duh, can you imagine me doing this late at night, phone on all day, did not realize battery is 20% and dropping fast, and right in the middle of the flash, DEAD BATTERY! I have flashed enough PC BIOS systems to know what happens if you lose power during a flash. Really bad news man, like whole new motherboard or new PC if it is built in. I once flashed my AMI BIOS because I bought a 3.2Ghz AMD Phenom CPU to upgrade the 2.2 Ghz I had. The new CPU would only run at 800Mhz and I found the maximum the BIOS would go was 3Ghz. I was not happy and looked for a BIOS update. All the company supplied ones topped out at 3Ghz, but there was a modded version on a hack site that would go higher. I installed it and bricked my computer. I really bricked it and was so bummed I did not know what to do. I got on my laptop and went all over the web, looking for a way out. One dude had this problem and he took the stock BIOS, renamed it to a very specific generic name, put it on a thumb drive, only file in the root of the stick, plugged it in, and powered on the PC. What it did was brick for a short time, then it actually looked into the thumb drive, I saw the lights flicker, found the BIOS, and flashed itself! I could not believe it. Pulled the thumb drive out, restarted, and had my PC back from brick land. Uh, that was a super totally lucky break and I never want to have to do that again, thus I am super cautious about the phone. Great tip, USE A FRESH BATTERY.

I thought about this last night and feel bad that I was being a little anal about "I want this, and I want that, and I want Linux, and I want all the right stuff to do it myself", etc. Heck, we are lucky to be able to do this stuff at all, having it on a silver platter with support from Motorola and Verizon is so far fetched I think I will walk on the moon before that ever happens. Yeah I want to do it on my CentOS system but the disc is setup to help everyone, not just those with a running Linux system and knows Linux CLI programs and arugments. Why in the world should I fight this "silver platter"? Just run with it man. I am sorry about being stubborn but you know, this is a very expensive phone, I cannot afford to replace it, and I need it for business, what little I have.

Uhm, I can ROM a phone, I am very technically adept at this kind of stuff. I just never did it because I was satisfied with the stock Verizon desktop. There was nothing about it I hated, other than the bloatware and software I cannot remove but I have to refuse everytime I touch an address and am offered VZ Navigator instead of Google Maps or even Waze. But I do have the option to "Use this application every time" and that is a fair compromise.

So ROM'ing the phone should not be too hard and I know I can do it, it is just having the correct ROM that scares me. You know enough to read the specs and can tell if that ROM will work for you. Me, not so much. I looked into MUI and was not that impressed. I looked into other ROMS, Liberty maybe, and what put me off was that once the ROM was installed, certain things did not work anymore, the video camera might not work, other options do not work, and it is like throwing away retail and using beta software, full of bugs. The MUI interface I did not like that much, although I think it is customizable, there are skins to apply, but they disable some features, everything comes with a trade off. The iPhone ROM is ridiculous, if I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one.

But I do want a ROM when this is done, and rather quickly if I can have it. I really want something that will restore the SMS pictures but won't be anal about it. I do like to send and recieve pictures but I think root is more important than pictures in text messages. Then I can use Titanium and AdFree and Clockwork to make things *much* easier in the future.

I need a stretch of time to do this, running around today, but I will get to it. If you can suggest some ROMS that I might like, I would be grateful for the links to look at them. I would like to get as close to original gingerbread, but if there is a nice ROM where everything works and it does not look too childish, I would consider and likely try it.

Yes, I want to ROM the phone, give me a few links if you have them. Thank you goose and 1KDS.

Goose306
04-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks Goose. That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. And I got the answer from an experienced modder, you have done this stuff enough times to know "when it goes bad" and can report accuratly what led to it and even how to correct it. You have the right phone, you did this yourself, it worked, everything I need is on the CD and I am grateful for that.

I thought about this last night and feel bad that I was being a little anal about "I want this, and I want that, and I want Linux, and I want all the right stuff to do it myself", etc. Heck, we are lucky to be able to do this stuff at all, having it on a silver platter with support from Motorola and Verizon is so far fetched I think I will walk on the moon before that ever happens. Yeah I want to do it on my CentOS system but the disc is setup to help everyone, not just those with a running Linux system and knows Linux CLI programs and arugments. Why in the world should I fight this "silver platter"? Just run with it man. I am sorry about being stubborn but you know, this is a very expensive phone, I cannot afford to replace it, and I need it for business, what little I have.

Uhm, I can ROM a phone, I am very technically adept at this kind of stuff. I just never did it because I was satisfied with the stock Verizon desktop. There was nothing about it I hated, other than the bloatware and software I cannot remove but I have to refuse everytime I touch an address and am offered VZ Navigator instead of Google Maps or even Waze. But I do have the option to "Use this application every time" and that is a fair compromise.

So ROM'ing the phone should not be too hard and I know I can do it, it is just having the correct ROM that scares me. You know enough to read the specs and can tell if that ROM will work for you. Me, not so much. I looked into MUI and was not that impressed. I looked into other ROMS, Liberty maybe, and what put me off was that once the ROM was installed, certain things did not work anymore, the video camera might not work, other options do not work, and it is like throwing away retail and using beta software, full of bugs. The MUI interface I did not like that much, although I think it is customizable, there are skins to apply, but they disable some features, everything comes with a trade off. The iPhone ROM is ridiculous, if I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one.

But I do want a ROM when this is done, and rather quickly if I can have it. I really want something that will restore the SMS pictures but won't be anal about it. I do like to send and recieve pictures but I think root is more important than pictures in text messages. Then I can use Titanium and AdFree and Clockwork to make things *much* easier in the future.

I need a stretch of time to do this, running around today, but I will get to it. If you can suggest some ROMS that I might like, I would be grateful for the links to look at them. I would like to get as close to original gingerbread, but if there is a nice ROM where everything works and it does not look too childish, I would consider and likely try it.

Yes, I want to ROM the phone, give me a few links if you have them. Thank you goose and 1KDS.

For ROMs it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want something that is as close to stock experience as possible but also rock-solid, I would recommend looking at Apex. You have to used the patched version (since its blur-based) which means you have to set a static IP for WIFI, but thats it. Everything else should work. You can find the download for that here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html

A (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html)ll the rest in that list work as expected as well Liberty actually works as good or better, same with Shuji, etc. Heck there's even a stock - deodexed .605 ROM, so if you want to go back to the way you were, you can! You just have to set a static IP like I said (just the limitations currently of blur-based ROMs on this build) but a static IP is a mild trade-off for getting MMS back. If you click on the "original thread" links you can usually find screenshots, etc... but their all blur-based. So they look like stock (some have mods like different lock-screens, etc. that you can set) but they all more or less look very similar to stock blur, and will run better.

For 2nd-init ROMs I have a really hard time not recommending MIUI. This is the "iPhone" ROM, so burn me if you will, but the developer's for that ROM (Framework43 back in the day, DXC, and Wizard0f0s now) have worked some freakin' magic on it. If the look itself isn't what you are looking for (like an iPhone) you can change it. Their is a massive online theme library that can be changed on the fly with hundreds of themes that can be mixed and matched and if you want an app drawer/stock launcher you can always install one. The only thing *not* working on this is HDMI-audio out for the most part. Very small issues, it flies, gets near stock battery life, with 2-3x the performance and just nearly unlimited options for customization. Its magical.

MIUI (Wizard0f0's build)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/miui/44966-miui-us-defx-2012-3-23-a.html
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/miui/44966-miui-us-defx-2012-3-23-a.html)
There is also a "Let's See Your MIUI" thread - these are very popular because the ROM is just soo flat-out customizable. It'll give you a good idea of what it looks like (but again, you can make it look however you want!)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/miui/32943-miui-screen-shots.html

CM7 is also a good choice, in either of its iterations. This will give you a look very close to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) so a very "vanilla" Android experience. This is also by far the most stable 2nd-init ROM. Everything *works* including all HDMI, all everything. There is two versions, Pooka's and YACK. Links below (if you wan to see what CM looks like, just google it. Its only the most popular ROM of all time). Both of those have their home threads over @Rootz.

Pooka:

Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off) - CyanogenMod [shadow] - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/)
YACK:

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL]YACK-v1.2.0[YetAnotherCMKang] - Droid X Development - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20589-romunofficialyack-v120yetanothercmkang/)

CM9, Gummy, and MIUI v4 are betas. They will likely be the future somewhere down the line, but not everything works. So in your case I'd recommend staying away from them probably. I actually have been using Gummy lately as a daily driver for the last couple weeks and have nary a quibble (besides the flash not working on the camera, but I just swap to a different ROM for that) but I'd say this is probably something you won't be looking for, at least in their current stages.

ohmster
04-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Goose,

(Damn, you are a good guy.) Define "Blur". I hear this all the time and have no idea what it means.

Define 2nd-init ROMs.

I know you and 1KDS enough to "trust you". 1KDS has had a gold star in my book since Gingerbread first broke my phone and I could not find any Windows or apk based root kit like Z4 to work. Nothing would work. I was frustrated and pissed and really was giving up hope. Out of nowhere, 1KDS comes down and swoops me up, under his wing, and reveals the secret of Linux scripting with Pete's magic Huh? Where is this script? I looked all over. He provided the URL. It worked the first time, every time. Like magic. So, 1KDS got his gold star a long time ago, I learned to trust certain people and was amply rewarded for it. I do not trust anybody, I have to feel you out first, but you passed dude, flying colors and all that, and I have not even flashed yet. I can hear it, you are talking.

The story with me and Apple is that Steve Jobs is a total hippie, seed eating, Ganga river bathing, Birkenstock wearing, flower power, "power freak". He has to be in control, at all times. Even Gates is not *that* anal about MS. The seed eating, tree hugging part does not bother me, it is the "total power freak" that does. (I would hate to be this dude's girlfriend. She must have lived her life as an indentured servant.) I can fix Windows computers and make a buck. Several, actually. I *love* open source, give them small donations all the time, and Linux because of it. Buttwipe Jobs took open source Linux, put his brand on it, sold computers and phones on this open source software and locked it down so tight that nobody can touch it. I cannot buy an Apple headphone jack for God's sakes. I cannot get *any* tech support from Apple, "Just send it to us and we will fix it. Pay $250 up front and do not worry about a thing". Uh, no. I can't get root on an Apple or if so, how many hoops do I have to jump to find the command line interface terminal, and gain root on the system? What is the big deal? One friend of mine is a bit of an Applehead and goes to the Apple store. He walks in the door and they are all over him. Yes sir, right away sir, how can we help you sir? I want to run WinMX which is a Microsoft only software product on my Mac, how can I do it? You cannot talk about *anything* like that in this store again, *ever*! We will escort you to the door.

...wow. If you dare "mention" Windows in a Mac store, they will freak on you and throw you out like human garbage! Hey man these people have to earn a living and they need Macs and they need Windows. So what is the big deal? Steve Jobs makes Bill Gates look like an altruistic benefactor, and we all know that is so far from the truth. Gates never knew when to stop killing the competition. It was all over Silicon Valley. "Bill, you win. Stop killing us!" It wasn't until DOJ and Europe stepped in and sued the pants off Microsoft until Bill said, "Hmmmm, maybe we can float on our own pontoons now, we should stop killing everyone and just make software.

" I pickup a Windows device and I can configure it. I pick up an Apple device and I am lost. Everything is "Applespeak". "Airport" and not "network". Huh? I cannot install a mov player, I must let Apple take over my PC completely with terminate and stay resident, but never terminate services like check with Apple every minute of every day because I want to view an mov file. QtTask. How many times have you removed that stupid software from your Windows startup software, only to find out, like a zombie that cannot be killed, comes back? The only way to stop it is to create a blank text file, name it "QTTask.exe,", right click Properties and make it Read Only and save. Now QTTask.exe cannot ever come back because the seat is taken. Period. (There are other methods on the net, but the point being it is *that* bad to warrant posts all over the net on how to get rid of it.) Only Heaven can help you if you dare buy an iPhone or iPod and own a PC and wish to connect the device to the PC and do anything with it. Here comes iTunes, bye bye Windows Media Player, Media Server, and anything that always used to work for audio and video, and used to work quite well thank you very much. This is aggravating, goose. Must Steve Jobs stomp the last gasp of life out of anything Windows if I dare purchase or try to setup an Apple device on a PC?

I think you get the idea. Now with that in mind, I have to keep an open mind when you praise MIUI and the "iPhone" ROM. You ain't no wet behind the ears, just off the bus, Forrset Gump born yesterday. You talk, I listen. You see things I do not see. I do PC work and electronics technology and see things that you do not see. That is the way it is and I respect that. You say the iPhone mod is a darned good one, a lot of hard work went into it, if you do not like the skin, dump it and grab a new skin, the mod is good. I can dig it and from someone like you or KDS, I listen.

This is an awesome post on ROMS and what I might like to look at, with URLs. I cannot ask for anymore than that. You did your job and you did it well. For some weird reason, I had no work at all for almost a year and now, the phone is ringing off the hook, I had three customers to do today. I am tired because for a hundred bucks, flat rate, I give these people everything they want, with hand holding. All they do is make a phone call and hand out the Benjamin. I do all the rest. The senior citizens love it and if I see their standard of living is not up to middle class, I offer a senior citizen discount. Some of them have money and they can pay retail. Many of them do not and you can tell by their modest homes or apartments that these people are barely scraping by. They do not have to ask for help, I offer 25% off to them and they are grateful. I tell them they qualify for the senior citizen discount to allow them to keep their dignity and they eat it up. This is public service and we all have to chip in, like you and KDS are doing now.

The point of all this babble is that I now need at least a free weekend to do this flash. I cannot risk taking down the business over a ROM and not being able to deal with contingencies. And somehow, I just "feel" contingency all over this flash. So yeah, I am going to get with it, I need a weekend stretch or even a weekday stretch, but have not found it yet. I have a disability claim in and the government is not being cool about it. Lawyers, last chance, wait. Meanwhile, keep the business up at all times on the down low, and keep Uncle Sam out of it with a shade for now. Sucks, but what are ya gonna do?

I will make a live URL pdf file out of this post for safekeeping. Thanks man. KDS, where you at? Kudos, bra.

Hey goose, you find a good USB tether for Droid X? My Comcast internet has been going down for service a LOT lately, and I googled all over when I got a quick minute online. I hooked up my USB cable, went to Settings, Wireless & Networks, Tethering and USB hotspot, and touched USB Tethering. Bam! I had DSL speed internet on my PC. I was *so* rocked by this I had to try it again. No dice. Verizon intercepts each URL and disables everything else, offering to "allow me to do this for an additional $20 a month" or $30 for non-heavy data users. The clockwork dude released a beta software for this, I installed it, ran it, it searched for my phone, installed it's drivers, and touched a few servers, and BAM! High speed Internet without Verizon having a clue. This was amazing. I checked and was bummed to see my "beta trial" would expire in 13 days, and there was no option to keep it or pay. What is the deal? I had hotspot but after going a year and not using it, and realizing I spent $240 on something I never used, I had to cut it off. You ever mess with this stuff? It is super cool to know the phone in your pocket can share high speed internet and not have to pay Verizon for it. You got any dope on this?

Okay boys, I will be in touch. (WE rock.)

(Just made a live URL pdf file out of this post. Acrobat Pro 10 rocks. Email for a DL link.)

ohmster
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
OMG! I sure do talk a lot. You do not have to read all that goose. Blur based is stock kernel mode, I think you said. You are working on but have not finished and are nowhere near done with an unsecured kernel update. Roger that. 2nd int ROM might work, you have one or nearly have one, that is good progress.

Okay, I have what I need, you do rock, goose. I love a guy that can pick apart Linux and do kernel mods. Neat-O!

Read the above stuff if you want to be amused. Got what I need, thank. I'll be back!

Goose306
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
OMG! I sure do talk a lot. You do not have to read all that goose. Blur based is stock kernel mode, I think you said. You are working on but have not finished and are nowhere near done with an unsecured kernel update. Roger that. 2nd int ROM might work, you have one or nearly have one, that is good progress.

Okay, I have what I need, you do rock, goose. I love a guy that can pick apart Linux and do kernel mods. Neat-O!

Read the above stuff if you want to be amused. Got what I need, thank. I'll be back!

LOL yeah you do like to write books, do you not? Its cool. I do data entry and CS for D*TV so I type ridiculously fast, sometimes I get people complaining about how much I write and how long it must have took. I just laugh because its really the exact opposite, I can just type as fast as the thoughts come in to my head.

Anywho, definitions:

"blur-based" - This means its based on Motorola's Blur interface. Since you were on stock rooted earlier, this is what you are used to. Blur is a skin that Moto puts over the Android interface, similar to how HTC has the Sense interface, Samsung has TouchWiz, etc. Its just a manufacturer skin. Some people like it, some people don't. When it comes to ROMs, blur-based has a tendency to be a bit more stable and have longer battery life, at least "out of the box". I can get similar battery life on 2nd-init (which I'll get to hear in a second) but I obsessively tweak and crank my phone down until its being stretched with an inch of its life. Not in a bad way (I'm actually underclocking it and undervolting it and other things) but I'm pretty OCD about knowing what *exactly* is going on behind the scenes at all times on my phone. So blur-based is really a feeling when it comes to a ROM. It looks like the stock Moto setup, if you flash enough ROMs you eventually realize it and can instantly recognize a Moto-blur interface whenever you see it. Being as these ROMs are based on the stock firmware, pretty much everything works because Moto designed all the hardware interface code, etc. The only one quibble (as I noted) is you have to set a static IP on this current firmware version, but it is no big deal at all.

"2nd-init" - 2nd-init is actually a bit of a misnomer term, but its how its frequently referred to around the interwebs. In reality, 2nd-init is the process. Not to get too much into the details, but essentially 2nd-init is a hijack process that allows us to completely dump the entire OS of Motorola (except for the ramdisk, which cannot be over-written because of the locked bootloader) and rebuild everything from the first init process forward. As a Linux man yourself, you may understand that the first process that runs upon system startup is init. 2nd-init is a method which hijacks that initial boot process, forces it to over-write itself, and rebuild the system from the ground up with whatever *we* want. In reality, this means AOSP (Android Open Source Project) - many people believe this is how Android is *supposed* to be. Its not a manufacturer skin, it is the code straight from Google, and then built upon by various developers with extra tweaks/builds/etc. Because we are so able to fully *dump* the Motorola system, it also means we are able to fully *dump* all the bloat that comes with it. Even by freezing bloat on Motoblur we are limited because some of it is unmodifiable or unremovable system processes put in place by Motorola. By running a 2nd-init ROM we are rebuilding from the ground up, and since we can do that the code can be fully optimized and also see continuing development further. We can also get rid of the last bits of the Verizon/Moto bloat we couldn't earlier. This in the long run usually results in a ROM which is much *much* better performing than stock blur. However, its to an extent. If you want the best performance and the best battery life to match on a 2nd-init ROM, you have to tweak and mod it, for the most part. Some of them (Wizard's MIUI as an example) are near perfection out of the gate. Just a little bit of undervolting using the built-in bootmenu and you can easily get similar to stock battery life, but 2x-3x the performance on the phone. I have seen similar results with YACK as well, and they look cool too. 2nd-init is by far my favorite type of ROMs (probably because I'm so OCD about my phone and with 2nd-init I have the tools needed to satisfy those urges, LOL)

If you ever want an entertaining read, read up on 2nd-init by the guy who wrote it for the DX, CVPCS. He was eventually hired by Samsung for his hackery skills. He pulled his code from a guy named Skilax_CZ, I can vouch for this guy's sorcery skills. I've been using his old tools to crack open the encryption on SBF files and decompile them, the guy really worked some magic on Moto devices back in the day.

Still Loading ... » blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works
(http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works)
Here is a few screenshots of my 2nd-init ROMs, with titles. Mayhaps you can get a look at them then.

YACK (with a red theme)

http://i40.tinypic.com/351da2c.png

Battery life on YACK (the red bar at the top is battery, about 25% usage after 12 hours)

http://i41.tinypic.com/b54h2w.png

MIUI (Wizard's)

http://i44.tinypic.com/fogoyc.jpg

Battery life on Wiz's MIUI

http://i39.tinypic.com/24n40ns.jpg

ohmster
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
LOL, LOL, LOL!

(I hate that stupid AOL stuff but it really works right here and now.)

Ohhhh, duuuuude. You are a yapper, typer, listener, tech geek, and super cool rad mod guy. *Awesome.*

I have been on Usenet and web boards for over twenty years and have never, ever met anyone that can go head to head with me as a yapper. Everybody hates it. I was on a tech TV website, working both sides of the help desk, and the guys would help me and willingly gave super great tech help, but groaned about all the typing. "Here comes Ohmster, he is going to write another book." One dude pinned me down with a label. He called me "loquacious". Huh? Did this dude just insult me? I was set to get fired up but did not have a definition on this new word, so off to dictionary I go. Oh, he did not insult me, what he said was dead on, accurate. In what was to be the most direct and polite way I have ever been given a "heads up" before.

================================================== ===================
loquacious
Main Entry: lo·qua·cious
Pronunciation: \lo-'kwa-shush\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin loquac-, loquax, from loqui to speak
Date: 1663
1 : full of excessive talk : wordy
2 : given to fluent or excessive talk : garrulous

synonyms see talkative
— lo·qua·cious·ly adverb
— lo·qua·cious·ness noun
================================================== ===================

So, I got a new label. I was trained and educated in electronics and took it very seriously because this was to be my career, so I learned that more data and information was a good thing. How many times have you worked the help desk, only to have to ask, what band, what carrier, what kernel, what version, etc.? It gets ridiculous because these people are begging you for help but do not give any tech details. So I give detail. But somewhere along the line, I get derailed and go off on tangents and have to pull myself back in. Oh maybe not a terrible thing, but it can be annoying to have to read three paragraphs to advise someone when "I get it", after the first three sentences? I have friends that are terrible about doing this on the phone and in real life, verbally. It drives me nuts because they won't shut up long enough for me to help them. I have to politely remind these folks that I cannot help them unless they allow me to talk. (Oh my gosh, the cat is eating my Sunkist orange.)

I do not look to type, but I don't type as fast as you. I like doing it though. I took typing class in school and got good at it. I could not imagine there was a system for learning to type but there is. And it only takes two weeks, ½ hour a day. I should consider data entry as I am getting tired of fixing TVs. There are only a few places around here to work and I have done them all. They abuse the employees pretty bad. I got a ruined back, herniated disks, from one employer but did not find out for 2½ years. Shame, statute of limitations runs out after two years to collect on it, now pain management is $800 a month, out of pocket.

Yeah, anywho...

Hear? Here/Hear. "which I'll get to hear in a second". Slipping, the word is "here". ;>)

Yeah, I like the blur base ROM, but maybe that is because I did not give the others a chance. Still, I can't stand the thought of wrecking the phone with the camera not working or the video camera not working, or no radio, or, or, or! Your "screenies" are awesome, though. No better way to show them off than you did. Ninja GOOSE is RAD dude! You did that yourself? Great job man. How did you make those screenies? You got a screen capper on yer phone? (Dam! I put a TV card in my PC and Modern Marvels is on, "Waterproof", and it is making this hard to pay attention. Oh! Windows Media Center is like a DVR so I can pause and go back! Okay, I will pause and do this right.)

TV is paused, let's go tech. Actually, I will use the rest of the Marvel time to talk here so, recording now. Media Center Rocks if you buy the $25 green button remote and get a good WinTV. My student wanted to buy me a present because I am a good teacher, so she bought me this nice, HD 26" Samsung monitor/TV. I do not even "watch TV" on the big screen anymore because this is so good. I get everything on torrents, HiDef movies by the pound, instantly, you name it. Comcast cable is the fastest thing I ever saw but 4G is supposed to be better. I hit 90Mbps on good torrent DLs on a 6Mbps connection. Because cable runs on nodes, not like DSL, we get *way* more bandwidth then we pay for. I can pull a 700Mb-1.2Gb movie in 20 minutes.

You do not tether your phone to the PC? Ever? I want to do this on my laptop and need a good tether program. The clockwork dude made an awesome beta but it times out in 13 days. :(

2nd init. Yes, I do understand the init processes. This explanation is great. Yeah, I want to do this kind of modding to my phone. I am getting really upset with this dx, it was so fast and powerful when I got it and now, just tapping to get up Google Navigator takes so long that I reach my destination if it is not far by the time it opens. I have a Garmin but don't need it with my phone and I use this all the time. I just wish it would open up quicker. I put a CPU meter in the top band and it is topped out almost every time I grab the phone. Open the dialer, takes forever. Open the camera, takes forever. What is this phone doing at 1Mhz fully pinned just by "using it"? This is bloat? I am about to throw this phone out the window sometimes! You know how to fix this? Different ROM? I have to use the 1KDS CD first? There is no doubt that Ninja Goose rocks, but is anything broken besides picture in MMS and static IP wireless? If it is cool, customizable, and nothing else is broken, I will do it. Yeah, I think you are right man. The Verizon/Moto blo, gotta go.

Hey, how do I set my IP static? I went into wireless settings and there is nothing you can do without a connection up and running. How can I set a static IP here? My home LAN is good for static IPs, I use them on my 'puters all the time for port forwarding and hosts file. Tell me!

So I never saw MIUI like yours before. I only saw the green one and I did not like it very much. So, since I did not like it and most of the ROMS break a lot of stuff, I would not touch them. But you do not sound like an idiot who would toast his phone ('but in the name of SCIENCE! LOL!), so, if you are using MIUI and have good battery life, maybe that is better than Blur, since I cannot get the bloat out and my phone is so slow. I am going to pause on the flash until I get an answer on this. Maybe I should ditch Blur if you have a good ROM for this rig that does not break everything. Whaddaya think, goose? There is *no way* that an OCD ROMer would every put up with a slow DX. You got yours up to speed? I wish I could get a screencap for ya showing this pinned CPU meter on top bar. It is not pinned now, it is bottomed out but the phone is just sitting on my desk right now. When I use the phone, takes forever to load anything. Could be the Blur bloat. Elixir is what is monitoring the CPU.

Ya know, Open Android sounds like Heaven and I've never even heard the phrase. If Android really could be open, like CentOS, totally free, customize at will, we don't mind. But no, Verizon and Motorola are locking it down, all the time. Shoving ads and boat, down yer throat. Shows how much I know. I have to get into this stuff now. I am pretty much going to stay Android now. My mission is to unlock it and rein free, all over it. ...but not toast the phone and it's features. You have to show the way goose, 'cause only u can, man. Well, maybe KD can, but he is reserved and not a yakker. If you want to get into it, I will do PGP email if you want. I still have it somewhere and I still have my public key on the servers. I still cannot believe the government threw Phil Zimmermann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Zimmermann) in jail on a munitions charge for releasing it into the wild, instead of capitalizing on it. He could have made a ton of bread and then the courts would all have a backdoor key, but no. He let it fly free and no way to put the genie back in the bottle. Like what happened with CSS and DVDs. People like that rock and keep us alive, man. Goose, you are a freedom fighter, dude! I played that game on the PC, great simple game.

...that is sort of like what The Manhattan Project scientists did. Well, a few of them anyway. They leaked Little Boy and Fat Man plans to Russia because they were terrified what would happen if only one government had the A-Bomb. I used to like that stuff a lot until I watched an in depth PBS documentary on it. It was pretty horrific. They tied animals, kind, domestic dogs, cats, monkeys, and goats (Geese too?) to railings on a fake battleship tied off at ground zero on a test bomb and watched it to see what happened. They had footage. The goats were licking the trainer's hands as they tied them off to a death sentence, and then they showed the detonation. Oh Gawd, I just about puked when I saw that. ...phew! That still gets me rattled to this day. Moving right along...

Yeah, you got me really piqued now on 2nd init ROMs. I will read the link. I think this is the way for me to get happy again. I was going to take up Verizon on the $200 offer to get ANY new phone I want and keep my old phone bill by grandfathering it in, get whatever is the hottest phone at 4G, and keep my old rates. What is the hottest phone? I like graphics and would play good 3D games if I could get them to work on the DX. I have Dead Space and no matter what, not even with ChainFire 3D, can I get it to run on the DX.

I want a good tether proggie too to get away from the $240 a year hot spot charge that they will bust you with if you try to tether if you do not run a cloak proggie like clockwork dude made. Why does he have to time out his beta with no way to buy it back?

OMG, that thin red line is your battery? I almost missed it, wow, that is impressive. Maybe this Blur thing is not all that it is cracked up to be. Depends on the ROM, without you, I would not do it. I just looked at all the screens, you got it going on with the battery, that is for sure. And you are doing this with undervoltage?

Alright, I am going to cut out now. If I want your mod, do I still have to use the 1KDS 4.5.604 first? How to set wireless static?

Thanks goose, I really had a good time here tonight.

Goose306
04-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Ohmster, the wonders you are going to behold if you start flashing ROMs. :) The static IP thing, it should be in Settings -> Wireless & networks -> WiFi Settings -> Menu button hardkey -> Advanced -> then about midway down under IP settings.

The WIFI thing for static IP only has to be done on the blur-based ROMs once you are rooted. MMS works on everything except for the stock rooted .604. So once you are rooted, the limitations are:

Stock Rooted (.604) -> MMS doesn't work with the stock app. Alternative apps such as GoSMS work as they should though. WIFI also works normally without a static IP.

Blur-Based ROMs -> MMS works as it should with stock app. WIFI needs to be set to static and then will work. Everything else works as expected.

2nd-init -> Everything works as it should. No need for static IPs, secondary apps for SMS/MMS, etc.

I think once you get fooling with a 2nd-init ROM you are going to be dazzly-eyed for awhile ;) . Let's take MIUI (Wizard's DefX build) as I've spent the most time there, although I am a bit of a crack flasher. When its booting up, at the Red M logo, the LED will flash blue. When it does you can press Volume - , and you will enter a boot-menu. This is a hack that allows you to safely enter bootstrap recovery before the system loads (its actually built in to the 2nd-init hijack processes). It also allows you to natively change your clock settings before the system loads manually, and change your governors (kernel modules that adjust how the CPU acts under loads, giving better battery life and performance) with no need for a secondary app. There is a bunch of other fixes built in to it, like some fixes that Moto never got around to fixing on our phones, such as rebuilding some system files that allow better performance for your WIFI, and also enabling 8-point multi-touch, among other things.

Once you are booted in you will discover a ton of other stuff. The pull-down status bar has two pages. One is for notifications, the other is full of toggles (WIFI, GPS, Data, Bluetooth, etc. etc.) so you don't need that power-bar widget. There is an MIUI Control Panel app that loads and allows you greater control over the notification bar, such as changing how the battery is displayed, custom carrier text (in my case I hacked open a system file and changed the carrier logo, which is a picture that says Google by default, to be that (heart) Erica, for my girlfriend) and bunches of other stuff. 1% battery increments is native. When you are on the lockscreen, you can press and hold the Home button and you will get a torch (flashlight) without having to go in to apps to find it. Super nice for you when you are digging for your keys in the dark. Screenshots are also natively supported, by pressing Home + Vol - it will take a picture for you, no need for a secondary app. MIUI is feature-rich, it has apps such as a DND (do not disturb) that allow you to block and white-list numbers during certain times of the day, so when you are sleeping you can block out all numbers except for say family, so you don't get a bunch of text messages that wake you up for non-important stuff. Wizard's latest build incorporates a GPS fix that I had provided and was coded by bobcaruso over @Rootzwiki that makes your GPS lock on in about 5-10 seconds. Good stuff. (Noticed you were complaining about your Navigation speed ;) )

Different ROMs have different settings, so for like YACK (the red one in the screenshots) if you press and hold the Power button it has a screenshot option. YACK is a hybrid of CM7 and MIUI, utilizing things such as Wizard's bootmenu I talked about earlier, torch on lockscreen, etc. But its built on CM7, the developer (BMc08GT) has just tore out features of MIUI and implemented them into CM7. So you also get some nifty CM7 features, such as lockscreen gestures, where you can teach it to recognize certain gestures on the lockscreen to make it do different things. Each ROM will take a bit of a learning curve to get used to where everything is, but the payoff and rewards you get are far beyond that initial learning curve.

Here's the great thing once your rooted - go ahead and use that .604 disc provided by 1KDS. Once you are in, use the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. Open the app, hit "Bootstrap Recovery" wait for it to say success. Once it does, open ROM Manager (if you don't have it already, its free from the Market) then once its open hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" when the popup comes up, choose Droid 2 for the model. Let it download and say its updated. Now, browse the forums, either here or @Rootzwiki. Find the ROM you want to try. Download it, then move it to your SDCard. I made a folder on mine called "1ROMs & Utils" that way in Clockwork when I browse through folders its the top one always. Go ahead and mount your SDCard to your phone, then go back in to ROM Manager, and choose "Reboot into Recovery". Let it do its thing.

First thing you do when your in is go to "Backup and Restore" and hit "Backup" this will make a full system image of your stock .604 rooted. That means if you try a ROM and decide its not for you, you can always come back to where you were. Once its done, go back to the main menu, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Make sure all your apps and whatnot are of course backed up to Titanium, and your contacts are synced to Google because we're going to be starting fresh. Once that's done, go down one and hit Wipe Cache. Finally, go to "Advanced" then choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Now you're good. Go to flash .zip from SDCard, find the .zip you are looking for (the one you downloaded) and go ahead and flash it. Let it do its thing, when its down hit Reboot. You'll boot up, you'll get to the Google log-in screen (like when you first got your phone) its already activated with your number, you just need to login to your Google account. I always disable the auto-sync for apps when it prompts me because you'll be getting those via Titanium. Once your in, just go to the Market/Play Store, re-download Titanium Backup and Pro key (assuming you have it). Go to app list in Titanium, Menu hardkey, and batch restore user apps with data. Make sure you don't restore system apps with data, user apps (like games, etc.) are generally safe and good to go. Now you have everything you had previously, its just not organized. Rummage through, get everything set up how you like it. Good to go.

You ever want to change ROMs? Do the same steps, just make sure you do your backup first. In my case, there is about 4 ROMs I swap between on a normal basis (YACK, MIUI, Gummy, MIUI v4). I have all 4 set up the way I want them, all nice and prettified. Once their all setup, its very easy to swap between. Just go back into Recovery, choose Restore, and Restore whatever one you wanted. Clockwork takes care of the dirty work such as doing the wipes and all that stuff. Just let it do its thing, and then hit Reboot, and you are back up and running a different ROM, just wherever you left it last. Keep in mind if your not backing up your SMS with a secondary app you will lose them as SMS are not saved to your Google account (everything else is synced and you are using Titanium for your apps) this is a minor quibble to me, if you need your SMS saved from one ROM to another there is secondary apps in the Market to do that.

So far as tethering, sorry I missed that on your prior post. There is an app that used to be in the Market that Verizon forced out, but you can still load it just by google searching. Just make sure you have it checked to install apps from Non-Market sources. Just google "WIFI Tether" here is a direct link. The latest version works great. Its the WIFI tether you were referring to earlier, but you don't have to pay for it (oh, the wonders of root) :)

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/)

If you are on a blur-based ROM you may need to flash the tether patch (Wugfresh, its on this same forum you are posting on here). All the 2nd-init ROMs this is unnecessary, it works as intended. (Again, we are getting rid of the Moto/VZW bloat so none of their stuff is really remaining, including their tether blocks).

Dive in with both feet forward. 1KDS has kindly made you a safety net (that .604 SBF disc) if you screw something up when your flashing, you can always SBF and be back to square one, however the good thing is you still have your backups. So if you broke something you can just SBF, root, recovery, restore backup, and your right where you were at, easy peazy. :)

Finally, about the various things about open-source, etc. Android is very close to true open-source. Not everything is (Google apps are still proprietary, after all) but for the most part the main system portion of it is. Motorola is not. Some parts are (for example, as its an OMAP device they should have to release kernel source under GNU, something I have been trying to get from them on Sourceforge) however their interface (blur) is entirely theirs and proprietary. 2nd-init ROMs are based on AOSP. Some are truly open-source. CM7/9 and Gummy are great examples. Both have githubs where you can sync and fork into the repo, and you can actually build and compile a copy custom-built yourself if you so desire. MIUI is based on CM7/AOSP somewhere wayyy back, it was closed-source, they just recently opened it up to open-source. Google as a whole envisions Android as an open-source project, its why they release the source code for it. This is also the idea behind Nexus devices. Nexus devices are "Google Experience" and are based entirely on AOSP, unskinned interfaces with an unlockable bootloader so everything can be flashed and modded to your hearts content. Motorola is probably the most severe OEM for locking down their phones, its why we have to deal with this garbage from the .621 update. Don't take me as burning on Motorola, I really do like their build-quality, and we are lucky here as the DX was a flagship device for a LONG time, so we enjoy probably the most dev support ever provided to a Moto device besides the OG Droid. But in the future I will likely be looking at moving to something like a Galaxy Nexus, just because I'm oh so tired of having to deal with this.

Anywho, to top it off I will flash around to a few different ROMs via nandroid for ya and provide some screenies. Mayhaps you will enjoy these, and maybe give you a bit more feeling as to what they look/feel like. I do have screencast, which is an app for video capture natively on my device, but I just really can't be arsed at this point to actually capture video and then edit it. I don't mean doing some screenies and popping them on here for ya though :)

BTW, the "Ninja Goose" is a widget actually. Its the "Minimalistic Text" widget, it allows you to actually do a bunch of stuff, and its heavily customizable. Its free, so check it out.

Status bar pull-down, MIUI:

http://i44.tinypic.com/287eo7k.jpg

MIUI Homescreen 1

http://i43.tinypic.com/34g6hy9.jpg

MIUI Homescreen 2

http://i39.tinypic.com/k3ina.jpg

Gummy:

http://i41.tinypic.com/b700pe.png

MIUI v4:

http://i39.tinypic.com/dvdb4.png

Enjoy!

EDIT: Now that's a book! ;)

ohmster
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Fashing from 1KDS iso as we speak.

ohmster
04-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Fash and full root in about 15 minutes. 1KDS, you RULE with your iso. Have not reset yet, is that why bloatware is still there? Late, and this phone works perfect for the minute, but I want a stock 604 backup up with Clockwork in case anything goes wrong. What is next, factory reset and save with clockwork?

I got scared when the KD disc went black and my phone rebooted to a red M logo, with white rings coming from it. But it did say Mileston, I had full Verizon, and everything works, with ROOT!

But I still have bloat ware. Goose said to get that factory wipe done, use clockwork to make a backup so I can go back now if I do not like the new ROMS I choose, and I will.

Is the fact I did not factroy reset is what is causing all the VZ bloat still there? Is it too late now to get rid of it? The phone works, everything I see so far, and it is too late to wipe and reinstall all backups. Can I wait and do the fact reset tomorrow and then backup the ROM or must I flash again to get it done right? I can flash again, that was really simple and fast. Thanks guys!

ohmster
04-05-2012, 12:12 AM
[..]
Here's the great thing once your rooted - go ahead and use that .604 disc provided by 1KDS. Once you are in, use the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. Open the app, hit "Bootstrap Recovery" wait for it to say success. Once it does, open ROM Manager (if you don't have it already, its free from the Market) then once its open hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" when the popup comes up, choose Droid 2 for the model. Let it download and say its updated. Now, browse the forums, either here or @Rootzwiki. Find the ROM you want to try. Download it, then move it to your SDCard. I made a folder on mine called "1ROMs & Utils" that way in Clockwork when I browse through folders its the top one always. Go ahead and mount your SDCard to your phone, then go back in to ROM Manager, and choose "Reboot into Recovery". Let it do its thing.

I have Droid X Bootstrap Manager and had to pay for it. It is a white scull on a red drape. It does not have Droid X 2 on it anywhere. I clicked Bootstrap Recovery. It does not really have a name, is this good enough?

Since everything is working on 604, even Verizon can I back this up now and make a clean stock 604 too? 16Gb SDcard.

First thing you do when your in is go to "Backup and Restore" and hit "Backup" this will make a full system image of your stock .604 rooted. That means if you try a ROM and decide its not for you, you can always come back to where you were. Once its done, go back to the main menu, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Make sure all your apps and whatnot are of course backed up to Titanium, and your contacts are synced to Google because we're going to be starting fresh. Once that's done, go down one and hit Wipe Cache. Finally, go to "Advanced" then choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Now you're good. Go to flash .zip from SDCard, find the .zip you are looking for (the one you downloaded) and go ahead and flash it. Let it do its thing, when its down hit Reboot. You'll boot up, you'll get to the Google log-in screen (like when you first got your phone) its already activated with your number, you just need to login to your Google account. I always disable the auto-sync for apps when it prompts me because you'll be getting those via Titanium. Once your in, just go to the Market/Play Store, re-download Titanium Backup and Pro key (assuming you have it). Go to app list in Titanium, Menu hardkey, and batch restore user apps with data. Make sure you don't restore system apps with data, user apps (like games, etc.) are generally safe and good to go. Now you have everything you had previously, its just not organized. Rummage through, get everything set up how you like it. Good to go.

I did not get a chance to do the factory wipe, but everything is there and at this late hour, that is fine by me. But, the bloatware is still there on Milestone. Will the factory wipe get rid of it? Then I can backup with ROM manager a nice, clean 604?

Do you recommend I find and install rootkeeper? Do you have a lead on a good copy?

You ever want to change ROMs? Do the same steps, just make sure you do your backup first. In my case, there is about 4 ROMs I swap between on a normal basis (YACK, MIUI, Gummy, MIUI v4). I have all 4 set up the way I want them, all nice and prettified. Once their all setup, its very easy to swap between. Just go back into Recovery, choose Restore, and Restore whatever one you wanted. Clockwork takes care of the dirty work such as doing the wipes and all that stuff. Just let it do its thing, and then hit Reboot, and you are back up and running a different ROM, just wherever you left it last. Keep in mind if your not backing up your SMS with a secondary app you will lose them as SMS are not saved to your Google account (everything else is synced and you are using Titanium for your apps) this is a minor quibble to me, if you need your SMS saved from one ROM to another there is secondary apps in the Market to do that.

So far as tethering, sorry I missed that on your prior post. There is an app that used to be in the Market that Verizon forced out, but you can still load it just by google searching. Just make sure you have it checked to install apps from Non-Market sources. Just google "WIFI Tether" here is a direct link. The latest version works great. Its the WIFI tether you were referring to earlier, but you don't have to pay for it (oh, the wonders of root)

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I bought non-root clockwork tether for five bucks and it works on my laptop (joy!) and desktop. Happy so far, but will grab the root version and maybe use this on another phone? Not sure if I can though.

If you are on a blur-based ROM you may need to flash the tether patch (Wugfresh, its on this same forum you are posting on here). All the 2nd-init ROMs this is unnecessary, it works as intended. (Again, we are getting rid of the Moto/VZW bloat so none of their stuff is really remaining, including their tether blocks).

[..]

These are just a few questions that I need right away, more yak to come, especialy ROM time.

Thank you 1KDS and Goose306.

ohmster
04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Alright, I am on a roll. I do not have all night for this. Here are the results so far:

Used 1KDS' SBF iso and followed the instructions exactly to take phone back to Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread.
Used 1KDS' SBF iso and followed the instructions exactly to gain root. The phone is definitely rooted!
This worked and surprisingly fast. Whole thing did not take 20 minutes. Maybe double that because I often panic.
DID NOT do a factory reset on the phone. At this point, I was quite happy, everything worked, nothing to complain about. Phone worked as my old Verizon did, no detectible difference unless you looked at phone speces.
Still see Verizon bloatware such as VZ Navigator running and as an option. Did not like that but no worse than stock.
Used Clockwork Mod to Flask clockwork to the phone, verified by turning off phone, holding vol down and power, let go. Green clockwork boot screen present. Booted normally. Phone did not require activation, performed flawlessly.
Bit the bullet and did a factory reset on the phone. Pulled my SD card out for this but that is not necessary, unless someone taps the "wipe card too" option.
Phone woke up from this without the drab gray Drod X splash wallpaper, just a blue background.
No signs of any Verizon specific software on board.
Installed Clockwork Mod and Titanium Backup, still on root of SD card.
Setup far less accounts but important ones like google with sync. All mail and facebook accounts.
Running Titanium Backup to restore 308 apps with data.

The last time I did this wipe and reinstall was when phone was exchanged 6 months ago. Titanium and google and maybe Verizon Backup Assistant completey restored the phone, all desktops, all apps, all shortcuts, and all contacts where they were before. This tme not using Verizon backup, but the Android phone system is a Google device, let them restore and let's see what happens.
I have confidence as this appears to be going very well. Could be a few apps that got installed late such as Go SMS and it was good, reported that Milestone will not send pictures in SMS but Go SMS does. Had to restore contact photos at last restore. Let's see what happens this time and will make a backup ROM for safekeeping. Should have done this on stock, but could not wait to get my stuff back.

Will post results in a day or two.

Forget it, results are in! everything is back, desktops, all apps, everything. Some hand picking to do, reassign photos to contacts but not a big deal. Chomping at the bit to unlock the secrets of ROMS now. Time to go goose hunting.

1KDS and Goose306, you are GODS dudes! "We're not worthy, we're not worthy"

Oh God, thanks dude!

UPDATE: Friday, April 06, 2012
The phone has been running a day now, with Milestone and I did the factory wipe. Some stuff does not work, the call voicemail app at bottom of all screens "is not installed and not available at the market". Seems we are back to the old market, not "google play" anymore.

The phone is really nice, rooted. But:
This phone is eating batteries like potato chips. One battery ever few hours with all radient services shut off (GPS, Wireless, Buetooth, and Airplane.

Any ideas on that goose or anyone?

Bradrew00
01-22-2014, 02:19 AM
So, I am on the milestone x software now. my question is, can i install pookas cm7 while I am on milestone x? my system version is 4.5.604 I've been googling all night and man it's taken it out of me.

sd_shadow
01-22-2014, 12:25 PM
So, I am on the milestone x software now. my question is, can i install pookas cm7 yes, but you will need to flash the wifi fix (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html) if you have't already

while I am on milestone x? my system version is 4.5.604 I've been googling all night and man it's taken it out of me.the milestone firmware was only needed when there was no way of rooting 621.
I would just flash the 621 sbf with ezSBF 621 or rsd lite.
root with Super Easy Droid X, Droid 2 Rooting app - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TmP15hfQU&feature=youtu.be) , and install a rom from my list
Pooka cm7 is fine, but VXLR (GB) and Liquid ics 2.0 are better imo.

links in my list sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X (MB810)
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZtlBNvzefJXL1QAM5FJWJWlXHmy4skwmya-XaTM5QE/edit#)