PDA

View Full Version : Themes: Custom ROM Launchers vs. GoLauncher EX

Madmick
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
My question basically breaks down into two parts, and though I'm not certain, I think my presumption leading into my 2nd question answers the first:

(1)
I'm running Apex 2.0 RC4 at the moment; I switched to try to get a feel for the difference in ROMs after first flashing Vortex RC1. At first, they looked different, but when I'm in the apps menu, whenever I click the Home Key, it asks me which app I would like to use to complete the action: GO Launcher EX or Launcher. I decided to try GO Launcher EX. Once I did this, they looked exactly the same; my home screen w/wallpaper, the apps menu with the ability to drag apps onto each other to create folders...everything. Stryker told me in the Apex forum that Go Launcher EX is the most popular launcher for changing themes. If it can make Apex and Vortex look and act exactly the same, then what's the fundamental difference between the two in terms of how they operate if I run it? The only difference I've noticed is that when I go to power off, Vortex includes a few extra options (like the option to boot directly into recovery). In other words: what's the essential difference between ROMs if they can be made to look and act the same?

(2)
His response also implied that Apex's default launcher is faster. I've noticed in the Themes section that most here don't use GO Launcher EX (which I think can be used on unrooted phones), and switching themes tends to be more complicated; for example, with Jeem's "Touch of Green", one must download the zip, reboot into Clockwork, wipe cache, flash the theme's zip, then reboot the phone. This isn't difficult, but clearly more tedious than downloading and applying a theme change from the Theme Menu in Go Launcher EX. My presumption is that the default Launcher of Vortex or Apex is faster and more battery-efficient than Go Launcher Ex, so this is why we go the extra distance. Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps this more complicated installation is just the price of trying out independent 3rd-party themes that aren't on the GO market, but this leads me to my final question...what's the fundamental advantage of being rooted and on these custom ROMs? Everyone makes a big fuss about how much more customizable these custom ROMs are (Wizard's MIUI in particular), but the advantages elude me. Help me understand, please.

DirtyDroid
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Roms can all be made to "look" the same, with the launchers like go, adw, lpp etc, but don't act the same, and are different with every phone as well. Tweaks and add-ons that devs build into roms like miui, cm9 etc make them what they are as well. Heres a thread from D-xer

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/15133-guide-modifications-risk-vs-reward.html

stryker
03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Dude the default launcher for vortex is go launcher, or launcher 2, or the blur one lol. You can take your pic. here is the deal. ROM themes change the framework and everything else, and most times the default launcher of that ROM too. You can use what ever launcher you want with any ROM you want and do not have to be rooted to change the launcher. go launcher, adw ex have there own themes you can get from the market and apply. Those themes will not change you dialer and notification icons, they will only theme the launcher. depending what ROM you are on, you would have to apply a ROM theme to change everything else, ex the framework. So when i make a theme for a ROM i theme everything including the default launcher to the ROM. So when you apply the theme the whole phone changes. So say for instance apex, you can't have a themed launcher2 unless your apply a apex theme and the person who made the theme, themed the launcher. But you could use go launcher instead of launcher 2 and use go themes to theme the launcher. Make sense? And you have to be rooted or you can't run a custom ROM period. roms give you performance tweaks, most are debloated, and offer more options then the stock motto blur ROM. Aosp like roms have all the motorolla stuff that comes on our phones taken off. to tell you the truth a normal user would not benefit from rooting.and flashing a ROM. I would reCommend using a different launcher first, then if you are wanting more, then root and flash a custom ROM. And applying a go launcher theme is as easy as hitting apply dude. Just saying.

=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=

Madmick
03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Dude the default launcher for vortex is go launcher, or launcher 2, or the blur one lol. You can take your pic. here is the deal. ROM themes change the framework and everything else, and most times the default launcher of that ROM too. You can use what ever launcher you want with any ROM you want and do not have to be rooted to change the launcher. go launcher, adw ex have there own themes you can get from the market and apply. Those themes will not change you dialer and notification icons, they will only theme the launcher. depending what ROM you are on, you would have to apply a ROM theme to change everything else, ex the framework. So when i make a theme for a ROM i theme everything including the default launcher to the ROM. So when you apply the theme the whole phone changes. So say for instance apex, you can't have a themed launcher2 unless your apply a apex theme and the person who made the theme, themed the launcher. But you could use go launcher instead of launcher 2 and use go themes to theme the launcher. Make sense? And you have to be rooted or you can't run a custom ROM period. roms give you performance tweaks, most are debloated, and offer more options then the stock motto blur ROM. Aosp like roms have all the motorolla stuff that comes on our phones taken off. to tell you the truth a normal user would not benefit from rooting.and flashing a ROM. I would reCommend using a different launcher first, then if you are wanting more, then root and flash a custom ROM. And applying a go launcher theme is as easy as hitting apply dude. Just saying.

Yes, that makes sense.

But I remain unclear what "performance tweaks" these custom ROMs offer that can't be had with root-only apps. You mentioned many debloat. Assume I'm rooted on the Stock ROM. I can freeze/remove apps with TiBu Pro. If I want a better battery life or better performance, I can overlock and undervolt using apps like Quickclock Advanced. If I want to reboot into Clockword Recovery and create a Nandroid, I can use Droid 2 Bootstrap. So what unique benefits do these custom ROMs offer? Do they simply bundle customized settings of these root-only apps to save the user time so he doesn't have to learn how to customize and then do it? It sounds a bit like they just make certain things more convenient but don't fundamentally change how the phone software works. Which is it? I'm trying to ascertain a fundamental understanding of the immutable differences between custom ROMs. What is a capability unique to Vortex or MIUI that couldn't be emulated with a theme change or a launcher change in Apex? Why choose any of these over the other?

stryker
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes, that makes sense.

But I remain unclear what "performance tweaks" these custom ROMs offer that can't be had with root-only apps. You mentioned many debloat. Well, I can freeze/remove apps with TiBu Pro. Or if I want a better battery life or better performance, I can overlock and undervolt using apps like Quickclock Advanced. If I want to reboot into Clockword Recovery and create a Nandroid, I can use Droid 2 Bootstrap. So what unique benefits do these custom ROMs offer? Do they simply bundle customized settings of these root-only apps to save the user time so he doesn't have to learn how to customize and then do it? Do they simply make these things more convenient? I'm trying get at here is a fundamental understanding of the immutable differences between custom ROMs. What is a capability unique to Vortex that couldn't be emulated with a theme change or a launcher change in Apex? Why choose one over the other?

None, read the op of the ROM your running and it will tell you what it offers. run miui if you want a complete change. If not, Every other ROM is pretty much stock with added tweaks, builds prop edits and what not. 2nd init roms have no motorolla stuff in then at all, none. They are close to what Android sends the phone manufacturers before they put there skin over top of vanilla Android. Like the nexus line of phones. 2nd init will always be faster then a stockish ROM. If you want Run stock then. custom roms offer things that you can only get running that speCific ROM. Like 2nd init roms like cm7 use the tmobile theme engine, miui is Completely Different then anything you will run on Android. as for running root apps, they work on every ROM. You just needed to be rooted. I can freeze bloat, overclock, and what not on stock rooted, but there are some things that developers add to there ROM that they develope that you can only get running that ROM. Like i said read the original post to all the ROM threads and it willl tell you what features and tweaks it offers. Sounds like to me though you need to be running stock rooted. Like me for example, i hate blur. I will have a nexus in a month and never get a phone that has a manufactures skin on it again. Wish miui was a stock option in the us though. I like that more then anything else.

jeems
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree with Stryker. I think you were pretty right as well, that you could do most things a rom does without the rom. The roms aren't entirely new operating systems (miui is the closest to that). They offer tweaks and are all slightly different from each other (If you really want to know details I'm sure the devs of each rom could explain what they did but that is all so above my head I'll take their word for it). I would contend, however, that you would be wasting a lot of time in doing so if you really want to do all that stuff. You would have to do all sorts of hacking and script edits, etc etc. Flashing a rom takes 5-10 minutes assuming you make a backup first. I like that I don't have to freeze all the annoying included apps and that they aren't even there in the first place. Flash a rom and your phone is ready to go, a little leaner. Also, stock rooted you have very little in the way of theming. I think there might be 1 or 2 themes for stock otherwise you are ninja/metamorphing and that's no fun for an entire phone. Most roms have more themes to choose from and miui has more than I would ever have time to flash. My biggest reason for rooting was to make a backup of my phone and get rid of some of the bloat. Roms, themes, etc are all bonuses for me.

To answer your last question I will tell you why I have chosen what I have. Vortex was the first rom I chose to flash. It had good reviews and I didn't want to have to do any extra work after flashing which at the time a lot of the miui and CM roms didn't have cameras working etc. Vortex just seemed to work. And that was all true. Vortex is an awesome ROM. Anyway, I got the itch to flash again. I've tried apex and liberty and honestly found them about the same as vortex. They worked fine and had I picked one of them first probably would have been just as happy. I have recently tried Wizard's miui and it is so different. I love it. Battery life is nowhere near what Vortex was but it is customizable and keeping me entertained right now.

Madmick
03-13-2012, 07:09 PM
custom roms offer things that you can only get running that speCific ROM. Like 2nd init roms like cm7 use the tmobile theme engine, miui is Completely Different then anything you will run on Android...but there are some things that developers add to there ROM that they develop that you can only get running that ROM.
These are specifically the things I'm trying to learn and understand: what I can get that's been added to Vortex/Apex/MIUI that I can only get running one of those particular ROMs, and what these features do. So far, the only specific thing you've listed is CM7's use of the T-Mobile theme engine. I'm not trying to be annoying or sound ungrateful for this free software development- I'm just anal. I'm someone who likes to understand, perfectly, the exact consequences of my decisions.

So what else is unique, here? For example, in Apex 2.0 RC4's OP, Fabolos writes this:

Features

Android 2.3.3 based on the Gingerbread OTA (4.5.605)
All apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts except dialer/contacts (compiled from source for DX, by me)
Stock Gingerbread Theme
Bloat and Market apps removed
Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Contacts!
DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
MusicMod with gesture controls
Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!

Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)

Scripts

poweroverwhelming : activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
sys : mount system r/w and r/o

Help me to understand what I'm getting there that I don't get with Stock or other ROMs. I've highlighted what I think is different from stock in blue. Stock runs on Gingerbread with that theme; DeBloats I can do with stock; Facebook already syncs with contacts in stock; I can download DSP and MusicMod in stock.

So we come to the blue. ApeX has its own wallpapers; cool, but not a big deal to me. Then there's the replacement of stock apps with AOSP/CM7 apps; obviously, these will be on any 2nd Init ROM, but I wouldn't even know where to download those outside of flashing a theme like Apex itself. Nevertheless, are they faster/superior, or simply different? Next: "Dev Tools" and "Spare Parts". I'm guessing those are unique although I'm not sure what I could do with them. "Terminal Emulator" is just a root-only app for interfacing with Linux that I could have on stock. I have no idea what "Quadrant 'Turbo' Mode for mad scores" is or what it does, although it appears to be some sort of script. Nor do I know what "Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)" are or what advantages they hold.

Should I simply wade through the stickies for each ROM to find discussion on these? There's hundreds of pages sometimes, but if I can find the information nowhere else, I'm willing to read.

stryker
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
These are specifically the things I'm trying to learn and understand: what I can get that's been added to Vortex/Apex/MIUI that I can only get running one of those particular ROMs, and what these features do. So far, the only specific thing you've listed is CM7's use of the T-Mobile theme engine. I'm not trying to be annoying or sound ungrateful for this free software development- I'm just anal. I'm someone who likes to understand, perfectly, the exact consequences of my decisions.

So what else is unique, here? For example, in Apex 2.0 RC4's OP, Fabolos writes this:

Help me to understand what I'm getting there that I don't get with Stock or other ROMs. I've highlighted what I think is different from stock in blue. Stock runs on Gingerbread with that theme; DeBloats I can do with stock; Facebook already syncs with contacts in stock; I can download DSP and MusicMod in stock.

So we come to the blue. ApeX has its own wallpapers; cool, but not a big deal to me. Then there's the replacement of stock apps with AOSP/CM7 apps; obviously, these will be on any 2nd Init ROM, but I wouldn't even know where to download those outside of flashing a theme like Apex itself. Nevertheless, are they faster/superior, or simply different? Next: "Dev Tools" and "Spare Parts". I'm guessing those are unique although I'm not sure what I could do with them. "Terminal Emulator" is just a root-only app for interfacing with Linux that I could have on stock. I have no idea what "Quadrant 'Turbo' Mode for mad scores" is or what it does, although it appears to be some sort of script. Nor do I know what "Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)" are or what advantages they hold.

Should I simply wade through the stickies for each ROM to find discussion on these? There's hundreds of pages sometimes, but if I can find the information nowhere else, I'm willing to read.

You get notHing, you can do it all on stock all ready. Dude, for real, sounds like your a know it all. My suggestion to you is to not root and stay stock. Simple is that. Or flash every ROM and find out like so many of us did. not to be rude, but I'm done explaining. Read the thousands of threads in the forums and figure it out. Sounds like an iPhone would be better for you. If you have your phone all "tweaked out" all ready, i don't understand what you need to know then? 1 more thing, people flash roms because its not stock and because you can. Try them all. plus there are more themes available for roms, especially cm7 and miui. you flash a ROM because they are all ready deodexed for easier theming too. (Search for deodexed on google to get a better explanation) And buy the way launcher themes are in the market, because you do not have to have a rooted phone to switch your launcher. You have to void your warrantee and root to be able to install a custom theme for a rom. So most are in forums. There are some cm7 themes in the market though. So pretty much, flashing ROM to ROM Will always look the same at first. Its the users job to customize it how they want with themes, icons wallpapers, and what ever else floats your boat. So yes on first boot apex looks the same as vortex, and every other ROM till you customize it, but miui. Miui is completely different all together. I'm ending this discussion here. You can run most scripts, tweaks and overclocking/overclocking on stock rooted. But like i said before there are extras on some roms that you can only get by running that speCific ROM. Most users do not need to root or flash roms/ themes. But the option is there to customize your phone to no end. try using a different launcher on ios. opps forgot, YOU CAN'T!!!

Madmick
03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
You get notHing, you can do it all on stock all ready. Dude, for real, sounds like your a know it all. My suggestion to you is to not root and stay stock. Simple is that. Or flash every ROM and find out like so many of us did. not to be rude, but I'm done explaining before i get pissed and get ignorant. Read the thousands of threads in the forums and figure it out. Sounds like an iPhone would be better for you. If you have your phone all "tweaked out" all ready, i don't understand what you need to know then? peace out hommie. 1 more thing, people flash roms because its not stock and because you can.

Why are you so angry? How could I possibly sound like a know-it-all when all I'm doing is asking questions? I've given you no reason to insult me.

The very reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm trying to figure out what is interchangeable between ROMs (what settings/functions I can change with apps on any given ROM) and what features or advantages are unique to that specific ROM. I only want to know to inform my decision on which ROM would be optimal for me. Let's say, as Jeems suggests, that I could make the changes on my own, but that this wouldn't be worth my time because the Dev's have effectively already pre-packaged these changes to their particular preference, and it would take me forever to learn how and why they made them...meaning I'd be committing myself to effectively becoming a developer of my own ROM in my quest to understand and tweak every little detail, personally. That isn't my goal; I'd like to avoid that grind. But assuming that's true, then how do I identify the benefits of the changes they made on my behalf and what they achieve in contrast to the changes made by another developer for a different ROM?

stryker
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Why are you so angry? How could I possibly sound like a know-it-all when all I'm doing is asking questions? I've given you no reason to insult me.

The very reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm trying to figure out what is interchangeable between ROMs (what settings/functions I can change with apps on any given ROM) and what features or advantages are unique to that specific ROM. I only want to know to inform my decision on which ROM would be optimal for me. Let's say, as Jeems suggests, that I could make the changes on my own, but that this wouldn't be worth my time because the Dev's have effectively already pre-packaged these changes to their particular preference, and it would take me forever to learn how and why they made them...meaning I'd be committing myself to effectively becoming a developer of my own ROM in my quest to understand and tweak every little detail, personally. That isn't my goal; I'd like to avoid that grind. But assuming that's true, then how do I identify the benefits of the changes they made on my behalf and what they achieve in contrast to the changes made by another developer for a different ROM?

Its as simple as this. All root apps work on every ROM, no matter what it is. The benefits would be a snappier feel, or better battery life, or more theming options depending in what ROM you pic. 2nd init roms have not that good battery life, not even close to what you get stock, but the speed of everything is crazy faster, and they have more customization options. Like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing ect. And all the stock apps are aosp, not moto blur. A normal blur ROM, or a non 2nd init rom gets better battery life then stock and more or less is the same speed. So you could overclock/unclock, run v6 super charger, Jakes mods, powerboost script if you wanted on a custom ROM, but is really not needed. some roms include some of those things all ready. The dev has the ROM pretty much all ready tweaked and ready to go. It would be up to you to customize the theme to your liking, either with a launcher that supports themes, or applying a theme for the ROM you are on. Its pretty much a feel thing to. Like some roms feel faster to me. No explanation ,they just do. Its all personal preference.

Madmick
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Its as simple as this. All root apps work on every ROM, no matter what it is. The benefits would be a snappier feel, or better battery life, or more theming options depending in what ROM you pic. 2nd init roms have not that good battery life, not even close to what you get stock, but the speed of everything is crazy faster, and they have more customization options. Like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing ect. And all the stock apps are aosp, not moto blur. A normal blur ROM, or a non 2nd init rom gets better battery life then stock and more or less is the same speed. So you could overclock/unclock, run v6 super charger, Jakes mods, powerboost script if you wanted on a custom ROM, but is really not needed. some roms include some of those things all ready. The dev has the ROM pretty much all ready tweaked and ready to go. It would be up to you to customize the theme to your liking, either with a launcher that supports themes, or applying a theme for the ROM you are on. Its pretty much a feel thing to. Like some roms feel faster to me. No explanation ,they just do. Its all personal preference.

Okay, yeah, thanks, that's one of the things I was wondering (basically, if Stock + Juice Defender customized would have as good battery life as Vortex/Apex + Juice Defender, or if Stock + Overclocking would be as fast as 2nd-Init + Overclocking). So ROMs are basically pre-bundled customizations of settings/functions/apps with root access. The reason it's confusing is that it does appear some users here like to customize these settings further even after flashing a non-stock ROM. Goose left a detailed post on over/underclocking in my thread in GB Hacking:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/44580-what-do-you-use-over-underclocking-undervolting.html#post539085
I figure I'll experiment with underclocking and additional battery-saving with stuff like Juice Defender, but you've answered my main query there.

You do mention that 2nd-Init ROMs "have more customization options: like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing, etc." I noticed I am able to customize not just the theme but the lockscreen with GO Locker, but that requires me using the GO Launcher EX. So do you mean that I could customize these things on Wizard's MIUI regardless of which Launcher I chose to use? It's like built-in to the ROM itself? What are your other favorite customizable features in Wizard's MIUI that I couldn't get on Vortex/Apex? I figure these latter ROMs are for me, since battery life is my chief concern, but everyone is ecstatic about Wizard's MIUI right now, and as a newbie to flashing my curiosity is definitely piqued.

stryker
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Okay, yeah, thanks, that's one of the things I was wondering (basically, if Stock + Juice Defender customized would have as good battery life as Vortex/Apex + Juice Defender, or if Stock + Overclocking would be as fast as 2nd-Init + Overclocking). So ROMs are basically pre-bundled customizations of settings/functions/apps with root access. The reason it's confusing is that it does appear some users here like to customize these settings further even after flashing a non-stock ROM. Goose left a detailed post on over/underclocking in my thread in GB Hacking:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/44580-what-do-you-use-over-underclocking-undervolting.html#post539085
I figure I'll experiment with underclocking and additional battery-saving with stuff like Juice Defender, but you've answered my main query there.

You do mention that 2nd-Init ROMs "have more customization options: like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing, etc." I noticed I am able to customize not just the theme but the lockscreen with GO Locker, but that requires me using the GO Launcher EX. So do you mean that I could customize these things on Wizard's MIUI regardless of which Launcher I chose to use? It's like built-in to the ROM itself? What are your other favorite customizable features in Wizard's MIUI that I couldn't get on Vortex/Apex? I figure these latter ROMs are for me, since battery life is my chief concern, but everyone is ecstatic about Wizard's MIUI right now, and as a newbie to flashing my curiosity is definitely piqued.

I'm saying in miui you can customize everything with the built in theme manager. I know because I build themes for miui. As for tweaking. I underclock on no Mattert what ROM I'm on. like on miui, i run quickclock to find my max and min, wrote it down. Then uninstall quickclock and plug the numbers into the built in overclocking wizard added. As for juice defender, I was i die hard juice defender user for a year on numerous roms. Its a waste of money dude. You can get the same battery life by just tapping the sync, wifi, and data toggles to off if you're phone is going to be off for a long time. on any ROM, if the ROM does not come with built in toggles, then use extended settings or widgetoid. Miui has built In customizable toggles so i don't even use those apps anymore. Sorry not trying to push miui on to you but its just that good to me. people think the miui launcher is an ios clone, the only similarities is neither have an app drawer. I love miui launcher, but you could use go launcher, adw or what every one you wanted instead from the market. So pretty much you could use all 3rd party apps from the market on stock. Go has pretty much everything covered with 3rd party apps. Lockscreen wise miui has way more cool lockscreens then go locker, widgetocker, or magiclocker have. Most are ported from miui lockscreens. But you could use either one that i said with miui also to have even more options and just switch between them all you dig? But go apps have to be used with go launcher. So if you don't use go launcher, you can't use go locker or any other go app. But you can use go launcher with any ROM instead of what it comes with. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You can use what every you want on what every Rom you want. You just have to read the op of the ROM you are wanting to run to see if there are any major issues or programs, or tweaks that might not agree with that ROM if it has them all ready built in. And its like this, just try it. I have try stuff that did not agree with the ROM i was running. All you do is sbf and learn your lesson. Lol i would suggest learning how to sbf like its second nature. If you are tweaking and flashing roms, things will go wrong eventually and you will need to sbf. I have sbf my phone so many times i lost track. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row cause i messed up.

Madmick
03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm saying in miui you can customize everything with the built in theme manager. I know because I build themes for miui. As for tweaking. I underclock on no Mattert what ROM I'm on. like on miui, i run quickclock to find my max and min, wrote it down. Then uninstall quickclock and plug the numbers into the built in overclocking wizard added. As for juice defender, I was i die hard juice defender user for a year on numerous roms. Its a waste of money dude. You can get the same battery life by just tapping the sync, wifi, and data toggles to off if you're phone is going to be off for a long time. on any ROM, if the ROM does not come with built in toggles, then use extended settings or widgetoid. Miui has built In customizable toggles so i don't even use those apps anymore. Sorry not trying to push miui on to you but its just that good to me. people think the miui launcher is an ios clone, the only similarities is neither have an app drawer. I love miui launcher, but you could use go launcher, adw or what every one you wanted instead from the market. So pretty much you could use all 3rd party apps from the market on stock. Go has pretty much everything covered with 3rd party apps. Lockscreen wise miui has way more cool lockscreens then go locker, widgetocker, or magiclocker have. Most are ported from miui lockscreens. But you could use either one that i said with miui also to have even more options and just switch between them all you dig? But go apps have to be used with go launcher. So if you don't use go launcher, you can't use go locker or any other go app. But you can use go launcher with any ROM instead of what it comes with. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You can use what every you want on what every Rom you want. You just have to read the op of the ROM you are wanting to run to see if there are any major issues or programs, or tweaks that might not agree with that ROM if it has them all ready built in. And its like this, just try it. I have try stuff that did not agree with the ROM i was running. All you do is sbf and learn your lesson. Lol i would suggest learning how to sbf like its second nature. If you are tweaking and flashing roms, things will go wrong eventually and you will need to sbf. I have sbf my phone so many times i lost track. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row cause i messed up.

Cool, yeah, that's what I figured, and thanks for answering that: that I could use the Go themes/lockers on any ROM but only with that launcher (and so on for the other launchers). I asked this in the Apex forum but I'll also ask here: where is the best repository for Apex/Vortex themes? It sounds like MIUI has a built-in theme manager like Go Launcher that will take me to a theme marketplace, but Apex's default launcher, for example, doesn't. I'm looking for the best place to find all the different themes developed for Apex's default launcher that I believe I must install from a zip via Recovery. For example, I think a theme you developed, Stryker Orange, fits this description. The themes subforum didn't have any single page I could find with all of them in one place and with previews like the GO Launcher marketplace. Are they just scattered across the web?

jeems
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Best place to look for apex/vortex themes is in the gingerbread themes forum here or over in the droid x themes forum on rootzwiki.com. Each theme usually has its own thread, though the threads do typically have screenshots. I don't think there are many themes for either rom. MIUI and go launcher on the other hand are used across multiple phones/tablets and therefore have much larger followings. You are correct that themes for apex and vortex all have to be flashed in CWM. They aren't instant like go themes or miui themes. Also, the vortex/apex roms are all or nothing. You can't pick to flash just the launcher portion of the theme or the lockscreen portion (this is not 100% true).

stryker
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Launcher themes are different than whole ROM themes. While ROM themes theme everything, or what ever the developer choose to theme. Launcher themes theme just the launcher, like go launcher themes work on go launcher, adw themes work on adw launcher. for example go and adw are 3rd party launchers. ROM devs might choose to add one, or more launchers to there ROM. but anyone can still get them from the market. As for me, if i am theming a ROM i usually do the whatever the stock launcher is, if there is more then one in a ROM i do none. People use different launchers, i usually leave that up to the user whIch launcher they run and sometimes do not theme the launcher. But my miui themes, i do everything, all the stock apps, and the launcher. But miui has there own launcher built in that is not 3rd party do that's different. Can anyone else back me up on this. I can't really explain this good enough i guess. like i said, read. I post on 4 or 5 different forums, and have read every post on them all pretty much and learned from trial and error.