PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have The Kraken 2?

music_man185
03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
i can't find any videos or reviews of the kraken 2. i would like to see a video of how the assembly goes together. i've seen the original kraken, and it looks too similar to the otterbox defender. i liked the defender at first, but after a month or 2, the rubber doesn't mold to it like it should. it is bubbling in the back around the speaker and in the front above the physical buttons. i contacted otterbox about the bubbling above the physical buttons. they sent me a new one, but the new one does the same thing straight out of the box. i also dont care for the holster. it may suit someone who wears the phone horizontally, but i wear mine vertically, and i feel like it takes 2 hands to get the phone out due to the lip on one side. the rubber also comes "un-snapped" around the edges of the screen quite often. so basically, my replacement case, i would like to have a plastic exoskeleton on outside that holds the rubber in place where it needs to be. similar to the seidio. but i also want a built in screen protector. does the kraken 2 come with a holster?

so i would like some feedback from anyone that has the kraken 2 for the DX. it would be awesome if anyone has had experience with both the kraken 2 and the otterbox defender and can compare them.

music_man185
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
does the kraken 2 have a built in screen protector like the first kraken 1

megancheung
04-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Ya i never cared much for the Trident cases myself. If you can try to get a refund and use that on an Otterbox Defender if you need a heavy duty case.

Much stronger and as you yourself have already learned much better customer service too. Good luck.

stryker
04-05-2012, 05:51 AM
I had a defender for my x, junk in my opinion. The edges would come off as soon as u took it out of your pocket. Plus only black for the color. I have a trident Cyclops now, an older one from last year and this thing is awesome! Edges stay on, it has different colors, built in screen protector, great protection. I landscape and keep my phone in my pocket all day and drop it all the time. Not a scratch on my phone. I would imagine the kracken is the same way. Don't know if it comes with a built in screen protector since they changed the style of there cases. Go on there website and look, im sure there are specs for all there cases. All i know is that when i get my nexus in a couple weeks i will be ordering a kracken 2 for it asap. Peace out.

=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=

Kahuna900
04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, I don't have any video, but I do own both the Kraken and Kraken 2 cases.

With the Kraken case, the hard plastic part goes on first, and the rubber part goes on after. I like the way the buttons work on the Kraken case better, but I to was annoyed that the rubber edges kept coming out with even mild use.

The Kraken 2 is very similar, but works in the opposite way. The rubber case goes on first, and the hard plastic case goes on top. I really like the fit better than the Kraken and I also like the added kickstand built in to the case. The holster that comes with the Kraken 2 will rotate to better fit your preferences. The buttons that control the volume are way to sensitive, but I'm dealing with it. Also, it is much harder to bring down the notification bar on the Kraken 2 than the Kraken. I've been using the edge of my pinky now which seems to be working, but was able to use any finger on the Kraken.

Both cases have screen protectors and the Kraken 2 even has a little plastic protector that goes over the camera lens. After owning the Kraken for nearly a year and having the Kraken 2 for just a few weeks, I can tell you that I prefer the Kraken 2 even with the few quirks that I had to overcome.

garykentjr
04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
X 2 on the kraken 2. I like it better than the defender. I've had it for about about a month now and the only problem I have is the cover for the head phone jack. Its a bit tricky to get open but I've gotten used to it. Pretty solid case though. I've dropped it once or twice with no damage. Its easier to clean then the defender because of the plastic but I still take it off on weekends and wipe it down good. I work at a feed mill and have yet to come across a case that really keeps dust out. Its doesn't get super dirty, its just my ocd! I would def buy it again!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

garykentjr
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Also, the customer service isn't bad. I broke my holster and they sent me a new one free. It took about five days but free is for me.

megancheung
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I just unpacked my Trident Cyclops and all I can say is wow. Its so much better then the Kraken II. You can check out my post on xda.

music_man185
04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
i decided to grab a kraken 2. i've had it for a little over a week now, and i already prefer it over the defender. the feel is much better. i dont have to worry about it bubbling or peeling off. it is much easier to use the physical buttons. the volume buttons are a little too sensitive, but nothing i can't deal with. it even looks better in my opinion. it may be my imagination, but i think the screen looks better through the trident than with the defender. a lot of people complain about otterbox only offering black. i picked up the black trident as well. however, i got one for my girlfriend (also a droid x) in pink and black. she loves it. she says it matches her personality more than the otterbox. lol. the only complaint i have is the holster. it feels very weak. and i dont like the fact that it clips into the sides. it seems to me that there is potential for it to pull the case apart when you take the phone out of the holster. a friend of mine has the seidio convert case with the holster. out of the 3 holsters i have seen for the droid x, i think the seidio is the best. i tried my kraken 2 in it, and it works fine. so i think i will pick up a seidio holster to replace the trident one.

garykentjr
04-08-2012, 04:12 PM
i decided to grab a kraken 2. i've had it for a little over a week now, and i already prefer it over the defender. the feel is much better. i dont have to worry about it bubbling or peeling off. it is much easier to use the physical buttons. the volume buttons are a little too sensitive, but nothing i can't deal with. it even looks better in my opinion. it may be my imagination, but i think the screen looks better through the trident than with the defender. a lot of people complain about otterbox only offering black. i picked up the black trident as well. however, i got one for my girlfriend (also a droid x) in pink and black. she loves it. she says it matches her personality more than the otterbox. lol. the only complaint i have is the holster. it feels very weak. and i dont like the fact that it clips into the sides. it seems to me that there is potential for it to pull the case apart when you take the phone out of the holster. a friend of mine has the seidio convert case with the holster. out of the 3 holsters i have seen for the droid x, i think the seidio is the best. i tried my kraken 2 in it, and it works fine. so i think i will pick up a seidio holster to replace the trident one.

That's a good idea. I think ill try that as well. Where did u find the holster?

music_man185
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
well, i tried it out with a holster that a friend of mine has for his droid x. but you can purchase the holster itself through seidioonline.com. thats what i'll probably end up doing.

fordkid302
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Has anyone had the problem with the kraken 2 where the case kinda covers the proximity cover? if it dose is the a fix for it? im between the electra or the kraken 2. Thanks

music_man185
08-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Has anyone had the problem with the kraken 2 where the case kinda covers the proximity cover? if it dose is the a fix for it? im between the electra or the kraken 2. Thanks

I ordered 2 cases. One for me, and one for my girlfriend. I haven't had any problems with mine, but occasionally she has an issue with hers covering the proximity Sensor. I contacted trident, and they offered to replace it. So we're going to try that. We both love our krakens though. Much better than the otterbox. I wish my phone was newer, so I could grab one of the new kraken ams'. I really like the new design.

I've also read that the extended battery for the electra only offers a few more hours of battery life. It doesn't exactly "double" it. So you might want to take that into consideration.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk 2

fordkid302
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I ordered 2 cases. One for me, and one for my girlfriend. I haven't had any problems with mine, but occasionally she has an issue with hers covering the proximity Sensor. I contacted trident, and they offered to replace it. So we're going to try that. We both love our krakens though. Much better than the otterbox. I wish my phone was newer, so I could grab one of the new kraken ams'. I really like the new design.

I've also read that the extended battery for the electra only offers a few more hours of battery life. It doesn't exactly "double" it. So you might want to take that into consideration.

Im not to concerned with battery life i get over 20hrs with moderate use everyday, i just seen the electra and figured if it wasnt much thicker than the karkan 2 id just buy it and the extended battery would be a plus for me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a problem before i buy one. i would but a otterbox because ive had friends highly recommend them but i dont like how the silicone would pull out of the little grove on the case, that would drive me crazy. Thats when i heard about trident but no one has heard of them but i like how the kraken 2 has the silicon on the inside and the plastic part outside, on some of the reviews ive read most people have two complaints that the case covers the proximity sensor and the screen is less responsive or you cant scroll to well on a app or on websites. If you get a replacement for the kraken 2 Music_man185 let me know if you still have the problem with the proximity sensor, everyone is telling me i should get the kraken 2 instead of the electra case im still on the fence about it right now.

music_man185
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Im not to concerned with battery life i get over 20hrs with moderate use everyday, i just seen the electra and figured if it wasnt much thicker than the karkan 2 id just buy it and the extended battery would be a plus for me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a problem before i buy one. i would but a otterbox because ive had friends highly recommend them but i dont like how the silicone would pull out of the little grove on the case, that would drive me crazy. Thats when i heard about trident but no one has heard of them but i like how the kraken 2 has the silicon on the inside and the plastic part outside, on some of the reviews ive read most people have two complaints that the case covers the proximity sensor and the screen is less responsive or you cant scroll to well on a app or on websites. If you get a replacement for the kraken 2 Music_man185 let me know if you still have the problem with the proximity sensor, everyone is telling me i should get the kraken 2 instead of the electra case im still on the fence about it right now.

I know exactly how you feel. I had never heard of trident before. I had never owned an otterbox case before, but had heard/read about them enough to give them a try. I had the otterbox defender for a while. It is an ok case, and does its job protecting the phone. I dropped my phone onto a concrete floor and it completely saved it. Not a scratch and still 100% functional. But the silicone on the outside is extremely annoying. Every time you take it out of your pocket, you're snapping the silicone back in place. That design flaw alone will probably keep me from buying another otterbox. If they change the design, I may give them another try. (the new otterbox Armor looks very promising). I must say that otterbox is a good product with good customer service.
I kept reading about trident cases on this and other phone forums. So after reading a few reviews, and watching a few videos, I gave them a try. I prefer it much more than the otterbox. As does my girlfriend (even with the proximity issue). It has a very nice feel and finish to it. I have not had any issues with the screen protector making the screen unresponsive. Just make sure it's clean. It can easily get smudged up with every day use. As for the Electra vs the kraken, I would say if the slightly added bulk and cost are not an issue, go with the Electra. They're essentially the exact same case, so you might as well get some extra battery life out of the deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fordkid302
08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I had never heard of trident before. I had never owned an otterbox case before, but had heard/read about them enough to give them a try. I had the otterbox defender for a while. It is an ok case, and does its job protecting the phone. I dropped my phone onto a concrete floor and it completely saved it. Not a scratch and still 100% functional. But the silicone on the outside is extremely annoying. Every time you take it out of your pocket, you're snapping the silicone back in place. That design flaw alone will probably keep me from buying another otterbox. If they change the design, I may give them another try. (the new otterbox Armor looks very promising). I must say that otterbox is a good product with good customer service.
I kept reading about trident cases on this and other phone forums. So after reading a few reviews, and watching a few videos, I gave them a try. I prefer it much more than the otterbox. As does my girlfriend (even with the proximity issue). It has a very nice feel and finish to it. I have not had any issues with the screen protector making the screen unresponsive. Just make sure it's clean. It can easily get smudged up with every day use. As for the Electra vs the kraken, I would say if the slightly added bulk and cost are not an issue, go with the Electra. They're essentially the exact same case, so you might as well get some extra battery life out of the deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I read somewhere that the electras battery isnt a good quality and you only get 3 more hours of use out of it, after a charge cycle. I can but a gg 3500 battery and use that but thats more money and that dont grow on trees as far as i know, and with my income i just need a good case ive found on on amazon thats camo(love it but looks like a cheap snap on case, could use it when im not at work just to show off XD lol) but i would like to have a case so that if im under a lift or car at work and the phone slips out of my pocket it wont get hurt, having this phone with no protection or insurance on it makes me leave it in my truck while im at work because if it gets broke i dont have the money to buy another droid :/ im going to order a kraken 2 and the camo case and see how it goes, im going to look at the otterbox armor cases though if they have one for the droid x ill try it if it looks good. And thanks for the help!

fordkid302
08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I just got my Kraken 2 for my droid x2 and love the case very much, havent had the proximity issue(havent had a call yet) but one problem that is bugging me so far is i cant pull down the notification bar easily i guess i can get use to pressing menu>more>notifications to pull it down :/ other than that issue its a great built case, also the headphone plug is kinda hard to get out if you have no finger nail >:( lol haha dont bother me much since i listen to music on it every now and again while i mow grass. Also thanks to Music_man185 for the help and reassurance of trident.

music_man185
08-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I just got my Kraken 2 for my droid x2 and love the case very much, havent had the proximity issue(havent had a call yet) but one problem that is bugging me so far is i cant pull down the notification bar easily i guess i can get use to pressing menu>more>notifications to pull it down :/ other than that issue its a great built case, also the headphone plug is kinda hard to get out if you have no finger nail >:( lol haha dont bother me much since i listen to music on it every now and again while i mow grass. Also thanks to Music_man185 for the help and reassurance of trident.

No problem. Glad to help. If you can ever get used to pulling down the notification bar with your finger, it's not so bad. But maybe I just have tiny fingers. Lol

fordkid302
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
No problem. Glad to help. If you can ever get used to pulling down the notification bar with your finger, it's not so bad. But maybe I just have tiny fingers. Lol

90% of the time i try to pull down the notification bar i hit the weather app and it opens but ill have to get use to it, and so far i havent had a chance to see if the proximity sensor is blocked or not since i havent had a call yet from anyone. I love the case so far no complaints, other than the notification bar but the only times ive had to pull it down is to clear a facebook notification other than that i dont need to pull it down for a text it clears itself.