PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Use for Over/Underclocking and Undervolting?

Madmick
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
When I first did research inquiring into the benefits of rooting, I saw the name SetCPU over and over. However, it doesn't look like that's the most popular app, here. Here and over at XDA Developers I've seen a lot of references/recommendations for Quickclock, Android Overclock, Voltage Control, System Tuner Control, and half a dozen others.

Which app do you use, and why do you think it's best specifically for the Droid X?

BTW, I'm on the 2.6.32.9 kernel if that is relevant.

dtroup64
03-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Hey there,

I use quickclock advanced to find some decent numbers that work for my phone... I write em down, and then I use the Bootmenu features in Wizards MIUI...

Madmick
03-12-2012, 06:25 AM
What do you mean by "numbers that work for your phone"? We're all on Droid X's, correct? Why would we need different settings? Is it affected by ROMs? Is it affected by how many apps you run? How do you determine what is optimal?

dtroup64
03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
When dealing with overclocking, each phone has different stress points. Mine might sustain a slightly higher mghz than yours and if you used my numbers, the hardware on your phone might get too hot, and you could permanently damage your device.

For undervolting, the danger isn't as great. Mine might be able to work at lower voltages than yours, but the worse that will happen is your phone will freeze, and you'll have to reboot.

Though these are all Droid Xs, each phone was made separately, and therefore has slightly different wiring inside, and the differences, though minute, are big enough to change what they can and cannot endure. You therefore have calibrations that can be run on most overclocking apps.

BE CAREFUL: calibrations are not exact. They give you a general feel of what your phone can take. If you select the most extreme numbers that these apps give you, you run the risk of frying your phone. Take the numbers and start far away from the extremes. Work your way little by little towards the extremes while making sure your phone is
A) running stable
B) isn't getting hot.

The MIUI rom these days has a bootmenu where you can imput your desired voltages and clock speeds. I therefore use Quicklock advanced for the calibration. I then choose a balanced profile and write down the numbers, and then in the bootmenu, I start by imputting numbers that are somewhat less extreme than the ones Quickclock gave me, and I work my way towards how I want my phone to respond.
In my case, these days, I have it underclocked and undervolted as I enjoy keeping my battery going for long periods, and I don't play games on my device that would require high clock numbers...

Goose306
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
If you are on really anything other than Wiz's latest MIUI, you will want to use Quickclock Advanced (QCA) or Android Overclock (AOC) both of these will automagically install the needed kernel modules so you can overclock and undervolt (OC and UV, respectively). SetCPU doesn't, which is one reason it doesn't have those capabilities. SetCPU does have some usages, like setting profiles, and it has a much more dynamic stress test for testing clocks and voltages. However, some of this is redundant, such as setting profiles which can be done with AOC or govs such as Smartass v2

There can be a lot of stuff going on when looking at at OC and UV, so let me break it down for you a bit.

First, if you are on any ROM other than the latest Wiz MIUI, you will want to get the app. Either QCA or AOC. I hear good things about AOC, I've never used it because I paid for QCA awhile ago, well before bootmenu was implemented in Wiz's, but feasibly you gain more features with AOC.

Anywho. Both of these have "calibration" tests. These are just dirty tests to find the highest clock and the lowest voltage your phone can run before it breaks (not literally, but essentially giving you baseline numbers) if you run it it should spit out something like the lowest voltage you can use is 15 and highest clock is 1498 or something.

Now, a few words about that. This is a dirty test. You do not want to use those numbers. That is the lowest and highest your phone can go, and leaving it at either will at least lead to large amounts of instability and at worst fry your stuff pretty fast.

If you insist on OC, I recommend no-one puts it over 1,200. All phones are different, so your mileage can vary, but general consensus is about 1,200 is a safe number that shouldn't give too many problems, as long as you don't have it running full bore 100% of the time (don't set your gov to Performance, for example)

If you are playing lots of really graphically intensive games or doing a TON of multi-tasking, OC is what you are looking at. Realistically, most people I find use their phones for a bit of light gaming, texting, web browsing, etc. If thats the case you don't really need to OC at all, and you may find yourself looking at UC (Underclocking) for battery life.

Now, as far as actually applying, the X's kernel on GB is capable of 4 tiers. These tiers ramp up as your usage does. The first one is your lowest one, so its whats used for low level activity and sleeping. You want to set this as low as possible. The lowest clock you can go to stably is 300. Undervolting is going to be dependent on your phone. I currently set my undervolt to 17 (this will be the area marked as VSEL in the app or menu) for 300. If you use the dirty calibration method you generally are going to want to go about 2-3 VSELs above the number it spits out to ensure stability. Try it out, as was stated really the worst that will happen is it will freeze if set to low and you'll need to tweak it a bit more. I currently have my clocks set at 300-500-700-900. Note this is actually clocked 100 less than stock. This is for battery life. I'm on Wiz's MIUI and the system just utterly flies, especially with my animation speeds turned up, so I have no use for running clock any more. As for VSELs, as stated, my 300 is set at 17, my 900 is set at 48. The rest lie in a pretty even spacing on the way up to 900. I am also running the Smartass v2 gov which automagically puts your phone in to deep sleep the instant your screen is turned off, with lots of other tweaks and junk to go with it that I do to wind mine down so my battery can perform at its best every day.

Hope this helps ya out a bit.

chuck54
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I was just reading about the bootmenu on miui and some other phones .... is there a flashable zip we can use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Goose306
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I was just reading about the bootmenu on miui and some other phones .... is there a flashable zip we can use?

Not currently. It used to be a lot more convoluted as CWM, 2n-init hijack, and the bootmenu would fight against each other for permissions when it booted (also boot manager if you were using it), causing all sorts of headaches. Wiz actually integrated the bootmenu into the hijack binary and made CWM run post-script using some sort of black magic I'm not aware of ;) . What that means is the bootmenu is now a core part of the startup processes as it should be and is being loaded as the first process (init, as 2nd-init hijacks and overwrite init, and after the kernel wakeup of course). So any settings that take place in bootmenu are feasibly applied to anything else, including technically boot manager slot ROMs, as they are loaded after the init process. There's a lot of other stuff going on as well, like every time it reboots it rebuilds the /preinstall folder, ensuring you have CWM and RZR available, making it nigh unbrickable (although you can still run in to situations where an SBF will be necessary, like wiping /system (thus wiping out your hijack and init binaries) and not re-installing a ROM before booting out of Clockwork. But really, what would you expect to do then? :P )

Pretty cool. But it still has to be ported to other ROMs, there isn't just a .zip that can be flashed and be good, since it has to be integrated in to the hijack and ROM code itself. Its been forked to a few devs I believe, Beans has it, there was some looking to get it working on CM, however Nis @Rootz is also working on integrating bootmenu into hijack for CM7 on the D2, so they may just be waiting for that so that they don't need to recode from MIUI to CM; not sure though. If you want the latest and greatest for the bootmenu, you have to have Wiz's latest as your Phone ROM at least for everything to work proper, at least currently, unless you want to try to work the bootmenu binaries into the hijack binaries yourself... 0.o

SupraRZ95
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I use Android over clock. 1.2ghz under voltage.

jtp755
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Here is what I got for my phone:

QCA Calibration Results:
13vsel / 300
1115 mhz

QCA Default Profile:
1000 - 50
766 - 38
533 - 27
300 - 15

Current Settings in Boot Menu:
1000 - 48
770 - 38
540 - 27
300 - 17

Govorner: Smartass v2

Madmick
03-26-2012, 02:18 AM
It appears AOC doesn't have a calibration test like QCA. I guess it's not a huge deal since I want to underclock/undervolt per Goose's suggestion since- just as he predicts- I don't use my phone to game, but mostly for light browsing and as an mp3 player. My main goal is better battery life. There's a bunch of preset scaling frequencies to choose from for 4 different voltage profiles: Ultra Low, Low, Medium, and High. I selected "Ultra-Low" and 900/700/500/300. At this preset, here are the slot settings:

Slot 1: 300MHz, 25V
Slot 2: 450MHz, 33V
Slot 3: 700Mhz, 45V
Slot 4: 900Mhz, 55V

So even on "Ultra Low" it's setting voltages significantly higher than Goose and JTP do using QCA calibration. I can manually alter the voltage/clocking in each slot, so I figure I'll try out setting it lower and just tweak it up if it freezes. Plus I can create profiles that switch on automatically (like if my phone falls beneath a certain battery %) if I want to ramp the phone down further to save battery life.

A few questions remain:

1) You guys say you use MIUI's built-in boot menu to set scaling frequencies, not QCA. Is there a disadvantage to me running scaling through AOC? Is the bootmenu more stable or something?

2) Goose mentioned the Smartass v2 governor, but I'll need someone familiar with AOC to answer this question. When creating profiles in the CPU Frequency Scaling menu (such as the battery one I mentioned above), there's a drop-down menu for "Gov" with 4 options: smartass V2, ondemand, userspace, and performance. In the help section he mentions governors, and says that, "To set your preferred scaling governor use the dropdown list in CPU Frequench Scaling. Note that if you do not see your governor from the list below it is because your kernel does not support them." So I'm assuming that since I see it in my drop-down menu that my kernel supports smartass V2. Then, in the app's general settings menu, there's a list of "Scaling Governors". I see "Interactive Governor", "Conservative Governor", and "Smartass Governor" here. There's two switches for each: one to enable the interactive governor, and one to install on boot. The latter are de-highlighted and I can't alter them. The former switches are all set to off by default. So I tried switching on smartass v2 and my phone automatically rebooted, but when it came back on, that switch was still turned to off.

Do I have download the zip and install it? My first assumption was that it came pre-installed with this app, but now I'm wondering if these "supported" scaling governors I see in my drop-down menu are only just that, and I still have to install them myself.

Goose306
03-26-2012, 06:51 AM
@Madmick what ROM you on? If your not on Wiz's MIUI you will probably have to install Smartass V2 yourself. Our kernel supports it, but for the X its a bit different. We have to load a kernel module for each gov. The way it works on most Android devices is govs are built into the kernel itself, which is a core part that is flashed with a ROM. Since we can't run custom kernels, we have to load kernel modules. If your not on Wiz's MIUI you can install it yourself, using instructions found @ Governors's thread @Rootz.

Governors - RootzWiki
(http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17992-governors/<br /><br />T)
The difference to Wiz's MIUI bootmenu is a few things. Quite a few actually, but I'll spare the boring technical details. Basically it allows the CPU to be set natively during the first init processes (well, technically, its 2nd-init, but 2nd-init kills first init so... :/ ) essentially he merged his bootmenu code into the hijack.zip which is the first thing that's being ran when the phone starts (that's why you enter it on the boot logo and not the boot animation) what that means is there is no background app or program running constantly eating battery, its natively supported as part of the OS (think of it like changing your clock speed in your BIOS in a computer). Since it is also loaded before everything else, that also means that clock speeds are automatically provided to slot ROMs as well when using Boot Manager. Its also one hell of a safety strap. :)

Madmick
03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
@Madmick what ROM you on? If your not on Wiz's MIUI you will probably have to install Smartass V2 yourself. Our kernel supports it, but for the X its a bit different. We have to load a kernel module for each gov. The way it works on most Android devices is govs are built into the kernel itself, which is a core part that is flashed with a ROM. Since we can't run custom kernels, we have to load kernel modules. If your not on Wiz's MIUI you can install it yourself, using instructions found @ Governors's thread @Rootz.

Governors - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17992-governors/%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3ET)
Nice, ty, yeah, I'm on Wiz's MIUI (and I don't see myself ever flashing another ROM on this phone). I don't know why this switch won't show "on" in the general settings menu of AOC. In the main menu, it lists my "Last governor" as Smartass v2, and in the overview of the slots and current MHz readings it shows the "Active governor" as Smartass v2. Weird, but a non-issue.

The difference to Wiz's MIUI bootmenu is a few things. Quite a few actually, but I'll spare the boring technical details. Basically it allows the CPU to be set natively during the first init processes (well, technically, its 2nd-init, but 2nd-init kills first init so... :/ ) essentially he merged his bootmenu code into the hijack.zip which is the first thing that's being ran when the phone starts (that's why you enter it on the boot logo and not the boot animation) what that means is there is no background app or program running constantly eating battery, its natively supported as part of the OS (think of it like changing your clock speed in your BIOS in a computer). Since it is also loaded before everything else, that also means that clock speeds are automatically provided to slot ROMs as well when using Boot Manager. Its also one hell of a safety strap. :)
Okay, I'm getting the hang of this because I figured it had something to do with changing the scaling during the bootup init. I got QCA so I could calibrate, then I'll set my levels in his bootmenu. The one thing I really like about AOC was the ability to set a profile- specifically for when the phone reached a certain battery %- where I could scale the CPU slots even further down when the battery fell below that level . It also had a nice widget.

Oh, BTW, should I set the display brightness to 100% when testing calibration on QCA? I'm curious if keeping it lower might mean the phone would perform more stably at a lower voltage (since less would be required to maintain the screen brightness while instead being devoted to stability of the CPU...maybe this is totally off, but it seemed like a logical possibility to me).

Madmick
03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
QCA Calibration Results
16vsel/300Mhz
1483 Mhz Max

LOL, irony. I'm the guy who wanted a 12vsel min and instead I get the beast-phone.

Goose306
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
QCA Calibration Results
16vsel/300Mhz
1483 Mhz Max

LOL, irony. I'm the guy who wanted a 12vsel min and instead I get the beast-phone.

Pretty dang similar to mine actually. Mine has 14 VSEL acc. to QCA and max of 1542 last time I calibrated :/

Regardless, I usually bump up my VSEL 2-3 from lowest for stability and never exceed 1000, in fact I'm usually around 800-900 for max. (underclocked) I like battery life as well :)