PDA

View Full Version : 621 Update Breaks My Phone

CrazyCatz
03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I have a Droid X, not rooted and never had any issues with the OTA updates until now. I started getting the ***** box to update my phone so I did. About 75% through the update I see a large yellow exclamation point, it reboots and then all I see is this:

bootloader
DO.11
Err:A5, 70, 00, 00, 23

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable
Took it to the local store they first accused me of rooting my phone. Um no I did NOT do that, just applied an update. Their only suggestion was order me a new phone. So my husband finds directions on how to flash the phone. We did this and the phone was back to factory and working fine. Then about 15 seconds after it starts working, the ***** box is back. I have ignored it all day and saw where some other folks having the same issues with this update, flashed and then applied the update and did fine. So I thought why not and applied the update. Same results the update hosed and now all I have is the bootloader screen.

Any ideas on how I can turn off the update notification on my phone? We are going to flash it again but want to make sure I don't see this box because for some stupid reason my phone crashes with this update.

Thanks!

DirtyDroid
03-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Whats your status on this now? Still the same?

CrazyCatz
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
After two flashes and attempts to download the 621 update we gave up. My husband flashed it again, rooted it and installed Titanium to stop the pop up notice for the update. I did NOT want to root the phone and it was not rooted when this happened the first two times but we had no choice. I cannot be without my phone which is for business so rooting and installing Titanium was the only option we saw available to us.

When my used phone arrives tomorrow I will be taking it back to Verizon and cancelling my insurance. I was told my first replacement would be a new phone. That is why I purchased the better insurance policy.....ugh.... Live and learn I guess..

DirtyDroid
03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Ahh OK, so you froze the updater? And did you clear the cache? Sorry to hear about the insurance thing, they can be tricky, or well misleading sometimes

Sent from my Droid X

CrazyCatz
03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah he froze the updater and cleared the cache. Tricky loophole with the insurance is if the issue is software related, then you don't get a new phone, even if it is an update. So I guess it would have been better to drop it in the toilet before taking it in. :)

casper55117
03-15-2012, 05:20 AM
better just to report it lost

casper55117
03-15-2012, 05:21 AM
if you really want the update you can sbf the .621 and it will be like your phone was never rooted

Goose306
03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Meh honestly at this point your rooted...

I'd flash a super-stable 2nd-init ROM such as Wiz's MIUI or a super-stable blur-based ROM such as Vortex/Apex. You'll be in heaven. I know you didn't want to root, but now that you did, you might as well not half-ars it and fix all the problems that come with the DX stock.

CrazyCatz
03-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah my husband ROM'd his work phone which is a Droid X as well with Vortex to see what that was all about. He really likes it so I will be doing that to my phone soon. I can't be without my phone so knowing that I am dealing with insane people at the local store, I might as well make it my own so I can have a functioning phone that I guess I will never update since the new update takes away root..ugh... Really wondering about all the Gmail updates and such sitting there waiting on me to download them. Just going to ignore them until I have Vortex on it and a good backup. :)

I should have purchased the Iphone I think......

Goose306
03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah my husband ROM'd his work phone which is a Droid X as well with Vortex to see what that was all about. He really likes it so I will be doing that to my phone soon. I can't be without my phone so knowing that I am dealing with insane people at the local store, I might as well make it my own so I can have a functioning phone that I guess I will never update since the new update takes away root..ugh... Really wondering about all the Gmail updates and such sitting there waiting on me to download them. Just going to ignore them until I have Vortex on it and a good backup. :)

I should have purchased the Iphone I think......

All .621 really does is break root. There is no real advantage to it, and all I've heard from people who have moved to .621 is it causes more problems.

Freezing the updater as your husband did doesn't freeze you from taking Market updates. You can still update your apps and everything as you want, it just won't update the system version. Same thing when you move to a custom ROM.

Good idea moving to Vortex. If you don't mind the look of stock gingerblur Vortex will blow you out of the water compared to stock, it'll feel like a brand new phone. Then you'll see the advantage of Android over iOS... when you start thinking about all the 10s of different ROMs you can swap at will, each one causing different performance enhancements, well beyond what iOS will ever dream of being...