PDA

View Full Version : confused and in need of help - Nan backup

Jaimie
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I have posted here before. I have rooted and ROM'd previously but its been a while, and I am just techie enough to follow directions but have read so much that I am very confused. I want to re-do my phone, kind of start from scratch. I have Z4, bootstrap, ROM manager, superuser, all installed because I neede them at some point. Things have been working pretty well, but I want to start over and play with my phoen some mroe adn of course learn more.

I am trying to do a NAN backup. I first tried the instructions for Bootstrap: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap-9.html

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then click OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery, phone will automatically reboot

When I click on Reboot Recovery nothing happens! What am i doing wrong?

Next I tried to use ROM manager r reboot to recovery there also. I purchased the license. Still same thing. Nothing happens. Does not reboot to the screen with green lettering.

I checked Z4 thinking i needed to do something there. Only two options Temp Root or Perm Root. I clicked on Perm Root, since i figured that must mean my "Root" was turned off esentially. It says "running exploit in order to obtain root access..." forever doesn't seem to stop so I assumed it was "broken" and backed out of it. Shoud it take a long time? The little gear moves and turns for a LONG time then stops. Did I not need to do anything in Z4? Do I need an updated version? How do I know if I have an old version?

I've read so much that I am now running in circles and now am lost at what steps I need to do when. Can someone point me in the right directions of what I might be doing and is there a basic sticky / writeup on the steps to take (in order), maybe with just a simple explanation of why these steps and what they are not instructions on hw to do them... those I can find. I'm looking for a little clarity and understanding. :)

THANKS!

jeems
03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Do you have USB debugging unchecked? I would start there. I'm pretty sure if it is able to bootstrap the recovery (says "success") you are rooted ok.

If that doesn't work it is recommended to actually use D2 bootstrapper as that plays nicer with gingerbread and is more up to date. USB debugging should be checked for D2 boostrapper. Once you get your backup finished, if you really want a clean slate you should SBF to .602 or .605. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721)

Jaimie
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
quick response! TY. My USB debugging was Checked, not unchecked. I unchecked it and still same thing with both ROM Manager and Bootstrap, whihch I think IS D2.. how do I know?

EDIT - figured it out. It is DX Bootstrapper. Just purchased D2. working on it again. keep fingers crossed..

Still wanting: a basic sticky / writeup on the steps to take (in order), maybe with just a simple explanation of why these steps and what they are not instructions on hw to do them.. will help me wrap my head around al this stuff a little better. :)

Jaimie
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
D2 with Debugging checked "on" - still nothing happens when I press Reboot recovery :(

jeems
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Good luck. Check out this thread, you aren't alone in wanting the installation sticky. There are some basic steps for installing a rom. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44300-forum-needs-up-date-centralized-installation-sticky.html

(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44300-forum-needs-up-date-centralized-installation-sticky.html)From where you are here are the basic steps I would take. Note that this is my method and there are other ways. Don't hold me responsible if you break anything:)
-Backup apps and data with Titanium backup (or similar app)
-if you aren't using google contacts as your contacts I suggest switching to it so they are always there
-backup call logs, sms, mms with mybackup root. I like to have my call logs, texts etc so I use this when switching roms. (this will also back up apps, but I prefer titanium backup)
-make your nandroid backup
-SBF (see link above) - this is the clean slate you wanted.
-root your phone - There are multiple options. I think I used d3 root but not sure what the latest and greatest is.
-make a nandroid backup of this freshly rooted state. You can use this backup instead of SBFing all the time. I actually restore mine and flash all new roms on it.
-pick your rom and flash it using the developers instructions.
-restore your apps in titanium backup. DO NOT RESTORE ANY SYSTEM DATA. This will mess up and you will have to reflash.
-restore your call logs, sms, etc.
-your contacts should be there if using google contacts.
-enjoy your fast, new-to-you phone.

Just out of curiosity, what version of android are you on right now?

Jaimie
03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
2.3.3 if I remember correctly. I just looked at it this afternoon. Thanks so much for the basic steps. Its pretty much what I thought from all I have read.

Currently running back up from MyBackUp Pro. Still can't NAN back up. Do I really NEED to?

I am and always have used Google Contacts. Don't do texting and don't think I need my call logs so not worried about those. Have a great evening. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after I get home from work.... yes, I was supposed to be working today. LOL

jeems
03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
A nandroid isn't necessary, but if something goes wrong, ideally you could get your phone back to its current state. If you don't really care about it's current state, you could just sbf and start fresh since it's giving you such trouble. As general practice going forward I would nandroid everytime before you flash a ROM or theme or anything really. The one time you don't nandroid you'll wish you had.

Brad92
03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Are you hitting Bootstrap Recovery in D2 Bootstrap, then hitting reboot recovery?

MIUI 2012.3.6