PDA

View Full Version : Messed up phone from OTA

Quagmire
02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
So i was running rooted Gingerbread stock and (honestly) accidentally took the OTA update without reading up on it first. Update went fine, and I honestly thought I had root still afterwards.

Now I'm at a loss, phone began not syncing to Google services. Then warnings of authentication error for Google Talk (I don't even use it), and now I get errors when trying to download anything in the market.

So I attempted to use droid 2 boostrap recovery. It said success but would not reboot. It said it got superuser permission but no reboot. I was planning on doing a nandroid backup and trying to wipe data and then use the backup. Now I'm stuck. So this is where you come in.

Is there a way to fix it?

popcenator
02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
If you're phone boots up you can try a factory reset.

on the move..

skooter16
02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I believe there is an sbf for 621. That would be my solution. Then you will be stuck waiting for root, but your phone will work.

Should be an easy thread to find.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

Quagmire
03-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the replies,

If I did a factory reset that would wipe all my data correct?

And if I were to flash a .621 sbf wouldn't I need to boot into clockwork recovery? I haven't been able to get into it, only factory recovery.

popcenator
03-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Yes, a factory reset will wipe your data, but it'll at least clean any miscellaneous data that may still be lingering. Usually that fixes problems like the ones you're having.

And an SBF is done through the bootloader which you get to when the phone is powered down. (Power+volume down+camera)

Quagmire
03-01-2012, 11:40 AM
OK I guess I will try the sbf method then (found the thread).

I have read that you can run into issues after sbf-ing if you dont wipe data. Clearly I dont want to do that because I dont want to loose everything on my phone and I dont have the alternative to backing up everything with titanium since my root isnt really there. My best bet though.

Worst case I'll do a factory reset. But I would probably wait to do that until they root the new .621

Thanks for all the help gents!

popcenator
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM
An SBF will wipe everything as well and you almost always will bootloop after the process which is fixed by a factory reset. Your best bet is to factory reset first.

on the move..

Quagmire
03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Wow, well that stinks. I guess I was hoping I didn't completely screw myself over, but I guess I have.

I will attempt to back up what I can, maybe make a list of apps and such... Damn...