PDA

View Full Version : Best ROM for Optimal Battery Life?

Madmick
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Newb rooter here. I have three chief desires from my ROM: stability, battery life, and speed (in that order). From what I've been able to comprehend, there are two major types of ROM, and the first type has two major subdivisions:
[1] AOSP= Android Open Source Project ROMs
{a} Pure AOSP ROMs aka "2nd Init" ROMs (ex. CM7, MIUI)
{b} "Blurless" AOSP ROMs on Blur Framework (ex. Apex)
[2] Blur ROMs (ex. Vortex RC1, Liberty)

I comprehended this from the following post from this very forum; it's the most specific information I could find on ROM types anywhere on the web:

This is my understanding of android on DX. If Im wrong about anything (it does happen) please correct me k.
AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and consists of the open source portion of Google's operating system. Its basically the stock android build without any propriatory software (Gapps is so it cant be open source right?). AOSP is what is released on Nexus devices and is commonly known as vanilla android. Google then hands the build over to the manufacturers, this is where it gets tricky! Most mfrs just use the stock build as a base framework to modify and layer their own software on top of like a 'skin', each with varying degrees of hardware integration:
Samsung=TouchWizz
Motorola=MotoBlur
HTC=Sense
...so that means every rom/os starts as aosp it just depends on how much is left untouched from mfrs. Its like adding koolaid and sugar to water-it still has water in it but its changed so much that it wont function as pure water does. This is where confusion is I think. Moto devices have locked bootloader and require some part of Blur framework to boot or function properly. In order to make a rom as aosp like as possible but still keep hardware functionallity devs like fabulous (Apex) had to recompile stock apk from source (they rebuilt stock apps from aosp to work on moto hw without blur...aosp apps on blur framework....thats how I understand it) so its blurless but not pure aosp.
2init process pulls a carjack after bootloader puts the key in ignition and uses pure aosp since it dont need blur fw. I dont believe there are any non-aosp 2init roms (why put it back in after so much work removing it? Seems pointless init?)
To make a long story longer my original point was to say that both 'flavors' of android on DX have distinctive pros n cons due to implementation
Blur based-stability, hd camera, hdmi out, battery life
2init based-no bloatware, lightweight, fast, bootmanager compattible, and superior tethering (imho)

I don't understand why the "2nd Init" ROMs are more lightweight, bloat-free and fast without being easier on the battery, but I'm guessing it's because they all add features or tweak CPU settings. I don't care about features/graphics/whatever. My phone is purely a tool. Ergo, it looks like I want a Blur-based ROM, or simply to "debloat" the stock 605 ROM I've rooted. Manually using Titanium Backup or Root Explorer to freeze or remove these "bloat" stock apps would achieve the same "no bloatware" result as running a 2nd Init ROM, anyway, wouldn't it? I'm guessing this still wouldn't make it as "lightweight/fast" as a 2nd-init ROM since there'd still be the Blur-ware running on top of Google's barebones AOSP.

So which of the following would be the most viable option for someone with my goals?
1) Get the Blur-based ROM with best reputation for stability/battery (probably Vortex?). Optimize speed: "Titanium Backup Pro" or "Root Explorer" app to freeze/remove bloatware and "Set CPU" to overclock.
2) Get the 2nd Init ROM with best reputation for stability/speed (probably CM7?). Optimize battery: Use "Juice Defender Ultimate".
3) Debloat Stock 605 ROM. Optimize speed and battery life using the same methods.

What would you guys recommend?

Madmick
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Oh, and I'm trying to develop an exhaustive list of Droid X ROMs (I'm an anal retentive librarian with stuff like this). Help me to categorize them. I'm sure I have some categorized as "Blur" ROMs that- like Apex- are actually AOSP ROMs on a Blur framework:

Blur (Motorola Stock-Based) ROMs
DeBloated Stock 605
Vortex RC1
Liberty
Rubix
Shuji
Sensei Mod
ICX

AOSP= Android Open Source Project ROMs
Pure AOSP ROMs (2nd Init/Vanilla)
Cyanogen
MIUI
Liquid
SSX
Encounter ICS
OMFGB
AOSP on Blur Framework ROMs
Apex

BHuber09
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Okay go VorteX or ApeX.
You think stocks battery life is good. Flash those and you'll be very happy.

FreeMyMoto!!!

dennyjones
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm using Vortex and overclocked/undervolted at 1.2 and each night it only uses 2% battery.

savagerun
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm using Vortex and overclocked/undervolted at 1.2 and each night it only uses 2% battery.

When i was on Vortex i was losing 4% over night, dang you dennyjones lol...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh please!!! Haha
In on liquid. I loose 35%...

FreeMyMoto!!!

droidx2.3.3
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Apex for sure IMO. I was getting 2 days battery life I under volted at 1.15ghz. Performance was good as well. I switched to cm9 now but am considering going back.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

dennyjones
02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I used Apex when we were on Froyo and it was very good.

Brad92
02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Apex gave me amazing battery life. That and it was the fastest, most stable Blur based ROM out there.

MIUI has the best battery life of a 2nd init ROM though

Galnet MIUI

stryker
02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I am miui for life, but apex is fast as hell and the battery life is as good as you are going to get on your phone. Plus its a basic ROM without all the extra junk we all hate and end up just freezing anyways. I vote apex. but darkslide X is a close second for sure.

-=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=-

Madmick
02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Nice, it's looks like Apex is the ROM for me. In any case, I have a list of 3 to try:
1) Apex
2) Vortex RC1
3) MIUI

Which is the most popular MIUI build? And is the MIUI ICS build stable? I was under the impression that none of the ICS ROMs were stable because the ICS source code wasn't released yet, so they're neither AOSP or Blur (this would be the 3rd major type of Root if I'm correct: I'd call it "Closed-Source Android Emulator ROMs"...of course, these aren't Gingerbread ROMs).

stryker
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice, it's looks like Apex is the ROM for me. In any case, I have a list of 3 to try:
1) Apex
2) Vortex RC1
3) MIUI

Which is the most popular MIUI build? And is the MIUI ICS build stable? I was under the impression that none of the ICS ROMs were stable because the ICS source code wasn't released yet, so they're neither AOSP or Blur (this would be the 3rd major type of Root if I'm correct: I'd call it "Closed-Source Android Emulator ROMs"...of course, these aren't Gingerbread ROMs).

Miui is my favorite. Wish i could buy a phone that came with it stock. I quit flashing roms. I am miui full time. Anything other ROM is just so the same and to close to stock for me. Miui is as far away from stock as you will get. The miui ics build is the same as wizards except the framework is ics. So its not really the ics People are thinking of from the nexus. Its not even miui v4. So what every one your choose, whether it be beans miui ics or wizards miui, they are both pretty much the same with tweaks that the dev adds in to make the build their own. I always run wizards build. They seem more stable on my device. But i have ran beans builds also.

=(.stryker.originals.miui)=

Brad92
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Both Galnet and Wizard's builds are great. I'm currently on Wizard's and am really liking it.

Wizard 2012.2.29

Madmick
03-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Miui is my favorite. Wish i could buy a phone that came with it stock. I quit flashing roms. I am miui full time. Anything other ROM is just so the same and to close to stock for me. Miui is as far away from stock as you will get. The miui ics build is the same as wizards except the framework is ics. So its not really the ics People are thinking of from the nexus. Its not even miui v4. So what every one your choose, whether it be beans miui ics or wizards miui, they are both pretty much the same with tweaks that the dev adds in to make the build their own. I always run wizards build. They seem more stable on my device. But i have ran beans builds also.

=(.stryker.originals.miui)=
But isn't the ICS source code still unreleased? I thought this caused stability issues. I have an Asus Eee Pad Transformer and I freaking love ICS compared to Honeycomb/Gingerbread, so if the MIUI ICS build is stable, I'd be very interested in trying that. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "it's not really the ICS people are thinking of from Nexus." What is the significance of that statement?

Brad92
03-01-2012, 12:44 AM
He means its GB but with ICS framework. Its incredibly stable.

Wizard 2012.2.29

Madmick
03-01-2012, 02:03 AM
He means its GB but with ICS framework. Its incredibly stable.

Wizard 2012.2.29
I'm not certain I comprehend what that means. I'm guessing that means it uses the Gingerbread source code, but it layers on code that emulates the graphical and behavioral "look/feel" of stock ICS devices out there?

dtroup64
03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
That's correct. It looks like ics.
Beans is also working on real ics MIUI v4. But it's not very stable yet. Wizards latest release is the most complete MIUI right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Brad92
03-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Wizard's seems the fastest and smoothest, but Galnet 2.2.4 gave me the best battery life.

Wizard 2012.2.29

bsbabcock
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm actually seeing fairly reasonable life on MIUI from Wizard's latest builds. My strategy is even though it's a fairly lean custom rom, I freeze several system apps I have no use for, and tweaked (undervolted) the CPU in Bootmenu. Plus some strategic elimination of unnecessary apps or too frequent app sync's. I imagine if I could keep my hands off the phone and simply "use" it normally I'd get stellar battery life. When I'm out and about and using the phone for sms, phone, etc in a normal fashion without having it "on" all the time messing with themes, etc., I notice it does quite well.

All that said.. I'll always have a soft spot for ApeX because it goes after a "pure", light AOSP Gingerbread setup. Everything is ala carte. The rom itself has very little fluff or goodies etc. It's all about stability and performance. BigXie (Fabolous) did an outstanding job on it from Froyo days on up to his last ApeX build.

Madmick
03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/41251-poll-what-fastest-most-stable-rom-best-battery-life.html
Noticed the above thread from page #2. The question is identical to mine, just a different ordering of the 3 priorities. Sorry, I did a search before I posted this thread; I searched within the Gingerbread Hacking subforum with only the keyword "battery" (searching entire posts) and the above thread didn't turn up. I came across it later.

Overwhelmingly, the forum recommends Apex RC4 and Vortex RC1 for my desires. I'm starting with Vortex first because apparently it has a built-in wireless tethering app, and I haven't been able to get "Wireless Tethering" to work on my tablet. I read that I needed to root my tablet, too, and place a security in a folder to which I can only write with root access, but I don't want to do that while I still have the 1-year warranty. So fingers crossed this built-in patch isn't the same app or somehow circumvents the problem, although as I understand it, I think it's the Android version on my tablet that's the problem, so this shouldn't make a difference.

Nevertheless, here's goes with my first attempts at flashing.

Goose306
03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/41251-poll-what-fastest-most-stable-rom-best-battery-life.html
Noticed the above thread from page #2. The question is identical to mine, just a different ordering of the 3 priorities. Sorry, I did a search before I posted this thread; I searched within the Gingerbread Hacking subforum with only the keyword "battery" (searching entire posts) and the above thread didn't turn up. I came across it later.

Overwhelmingly, the forum recommends Apex RC4 and Vortex RC1 for my desires. I'm starting with Vortex first because apparently it has a built-in wireless tethering app, and I haven't been able to get "Wireless Tethering" to work on my tablet. I read that I needed to root my tablet, too, and place a security in a folder to which I can only write with root access, but I don't want to do that while I still have the 1-year warranty. So fingers crossed this built-in patch isn't the same app or somehow circumvents the problem, although as I understand it, I think it's the Android version on my tablet that's the problem, so this shouldn't make a difference.

Nevertheless, here's goes with my first attempts at flashing.

Happy flashing!

Also of note, the thread you linked to was December of 2011; a lot has changed since then (at least on the 2nd-init ROMs, development on blur-based has been pretty much dead for months)

Wiz's MIUI is one that I can say can realistically compete with Blur for stability and battery life. And; since it has HDMI-out going (at least for video) it has more or less everything working, plus you gain the benefits for 2nd-init (lightning fast speed, absolutely crazy customization options, etc.) Now, granted, to get it to perform with the battery as well as blur you will need to do some tweaking (mine is ratcheted down tighter than Fort Knox, however that is a good thing IMO. I have done everything to my phone I want, I know exactly what is running and when, etc.)

Also, I would put MIUI in a slightly different category than AOSP. I mean, it is AOSP-based, but its so far off the tree now its doesn't resemble AOSP. It is actually technically based off of CyanogenMod. It is (or was, until very recently) closed-source. MIUI actually started as a group of devs in China, they are now moving towards being a full-blown OEM, and have been for some time (there are I believe a phone and a tablet of theirs available in China, although the actual hardware is manufactured by someone else) If they continue in this direction, they will eventually be another OEM skin like Sense, Blur, etc. of course with a key difference being (now) open source.

Brad92
03-08-2012, 12:19 AM
When MIUI came to the DX, I said it seemed like more of a complete OS that could come stock on a phone instead of just a ROM.

MIUI 2012.3.6

Madmick
03-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Well now you guys are pushing me towards MIUI. I also notice there's more users viewing the MIUI forum than all the others combined when I'm browsing here. Like I said, initially, I'm not a big guy on playing with my phone. I'm not the type to spend a lot of time on themes/customization/wallpaper and all that. I have a feeling that Vortex/Apex is still the right ROM for me; I'm just questioning this because of MIUI's popularity.

Madmick
03-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Well I just flashed Vortex and I think I just became somebody who likes playing on my phone. Holy bazunga this ROM makes the stock look like a piece of crap I love the menus! I love wallpaper-setting!

I see the light!!!

Brad92
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Well I just flashed Vortex and I think I just became somebody who likes playing on my phone. Holy bazunga this ROM makes the stock look like a piece of crap! I love the menus! I love wallpaper-setting!

I see the light!!!

Haha! Glad you are happy with it. Stock sucks

MIUI 2012.3.6

jeems
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Well I just flashed Vortex and I think I just became somebody who likes playing on my phone. Holy bazunga this ROM makes the stock look like a piece of crap! I love the menus! I love wallpaper-setting!

I see the light!!!

Haha, good stuff. Playing with your phone is certainly addicting. I don't have a ton of time do it, but I still make time. And VorteX is a rock solid ROM. You should be happy with it. I'm on wizards MIUI right now just for something different. We'll see where I land...

Brad92
03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Try the Black Ice or iNZTW3 themes. I'm rocking the latter one right now.

MIUI 2012.3.6

Madmick
03-09-2012, 02:11 AM

MIUI 2012.3.6
I'm on Vortex right now, not MIUI. I won't try flashing a 2nd-Init ROM until I get directions from Jeem or someone else in the other thread. I don't want to brick.

Nevertheless, I searched for these in the "Themes" subforum, and I didn't find anything. I googled and found it, I believe, at the XDA Dev forum:
[Theme] MIUI Ice Cream Sandwich (Black Ice 2.3 22/11) by cgvelmax - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1318364)
I'm guessing themes are scattered across the internet on forums like this one?

Brad92
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm on Vortex right now, not MIUI. I won't try flashing a 2nd-Init ROM until I get directions from Jeem or someone else in the other thread. I don't want to brick.

Nevertheless, I searched for these in the "Themes" subforum, and I didn't find anything. I googled and found it, I believe, at the XDA Dev forum:
[Theme] MIUI Ice Cream Sandwich (Black Ice 2.3 22/11) by cgvelmax - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1318364)
I'm guessing themes are scattered across the internet on forums like this one?

I was actually talking to Jeems, but thats my bad since I didn't quote him.

On 2nd init ROMs, there's an app called Themes (MIUI) or Theme Chooser (CM7). With MIUI you can download themes from inside that app and with CM7 you can download from the market or different websites. Plus you can change themes without rebooting or flashing anything.

Here is my current theme's lockscreen:
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/Diesel492/20120308_211816.jpg

MIUI 2012.3.6

jjkoolaid
03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow, doing your homework huh? I just jump in the lake and learn to swim. Then scream for help when I need it. Haha

Dx on Vortex RC1...overclocked 1.35
Let me drive your car, I bet you wont see it again.

bsbabcock
03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Going 2nd Init isn't hard. Just start from stock GB, wipe everything including system. Good to go.

I'm trying a variant of stock today to see if will run ok on a friend's phone. I can't wait to get back on MIUI. Blows blur away imo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jeems
03-09-2012, 06:29 PM

MIUI 2012.3.6

Downloaded the second one. Also found a bunch more. MiUi is so easy to change themes. I like it a lot

MiUi 2012.3.6

Madmick
03-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Wow, that lockscreen from Brad's theme is just sick. I'll give flashing 2nd-Init a go tomorrow.