PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer root to new replacement phone?

joenuclear
02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
My phone developed several lines of dead pixels so I took it to the local Verizon store yesterday and was told I needed a warranty replacement phone. The new phone arrived today. Can I transfer my rooted info to the new phone without re-rooting? And do I need to unroot the old phone before sending it back?

douglasfamily
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I believe you will have to reroot and an sbf for the old phone to return to stock

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Are you stock rooted or Rom'd???

Sent from my liberated DX

joenuclear
Should I transfer all my app to the SD card?

Leach19m
Transfer rooted info? Not sure what info you're looking to transfer, but you can backup your apps and data with titanium backup, then restore them in the new phone; but you will have to root the new phone. And if you're sending the old one back, it would be best to do an SBF

joenuclear
02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Stock

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I suspect you work in the nuclear field as do I...

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Download droid2bootstrap and make a back up of your phone image... Then you can root the replacement phone, restore your back up and it will be the exact same set up...

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
As far as the old phone, burn a 602 Linux boot disk and SBF.. Then take the 605 OTA update and you will be back to out of box condition and good to go...... I'd export my contacts to sd card if you haven't already done that also.

joenuclear
02-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I do, I've even done one outage in the swamplands of Jersey.

joenuclear
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Can I get more detail on posts 8 & 9 Scram?

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
You can use d2bootstrap to backup and image of your phone. You can find it in the market. Once you download it, open it, select bootstrap recovery, after you grant it superuser privileges it will say success. Click OK then select reboot recovery. That will take you to bootstrap recovery. Its like stock recovery but much more useful. Once in the recovery select backup/restore then select backup... This backup your entire phone image onto your sd card for restoration on your new phone... Restoring will be basically the same process but you will choose restore and you will see the backup to select...

Scram
02-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Would someone be kind enough to post a link to 1kds's Linux boot???
You need to download the Linux SBF boot disk once a kind gent or gal provides a link, or its easy to find in the rescue squad section of the forum. You will need to slap it in a computer and boot up from the cud drive with it. It's a piece of cake... Once you got the image burned onto a cd, boot it from the cd drive, place you phone in bootloader mode by powering the phone up holding power button, volume down and camera button. That will place you in bootloader mode. Plug you phone into you computer and follow the boot disk instructions. Sounds kinda complicated but it's really a piece of cake... We are always here to help so if ya get stuck there will always be a helpful person out here :)

Leach19m
02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23638

douglasfamily
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Man y'all smart. I love these guys. I wish I could detail it like you guys. They have done hooked you up with all you'll need. Thanks guys

Scram
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
I am way to attached to this thing:) Gotta love it... Was just thinking how many hours a week I spend fooling with my phone. If I knew the actual number I'd probably join some sort of support group. (other than DXF:))
Thanx for posting the link leach...

joenuclear
02-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I already had Droid 2 Bootstrapper on the phone but when I select bootstrap recovery and it grants SU privileges with success nothing happens when I click OK.

stewie griffin
02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
To use d2 bootstrap, you have to have usb debugging checked under settings

Scram
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
After "success " select reboot recovery...

joenuclear
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
And then...... can I pull my sd and put it in the new phone?

maybish
02-18-2012, 05:19 AM
I dont see why you couldn't put your card into your new phone!

Scram
02-18-2012, 09:30 AM
No you need to follow the directions I gave you earlier.. You need to make the back up on your sd card first. Once you do that it can be put into your new phone and restored if your new phone is rooted and you have downloaded d2bootstrap.

joenuclear
02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Doh! I wasn't reading your directions correctly. I'm backing the phone up to the sd card now. Once complete can I put it in the new phone and start the process via the Verizon instructions?

joenuclear
02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Sorry, didn't see your latest post until just now. Thanks!

joenuclear
02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
After I pull my sc card from the damaged phone can I reset the phone to the Verizon OS?

Scram
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
You can leave the sd card in while you SBF and take the 605 OTA update... It won't affect the sd card at all... I would get your new phone set up and running first before wiping the old phone though.

Scram
02-18-2012, 11:55 AM
After you have backed up your phone with d2bootstrap, place it in your new phone that has been rooted and has d2bootstrap. Follow prior directions to enter the bootstrap recovery and restore your backup. Once your backup is running on your new phone, I would put the sd card back into the old phone before you SBF and before you take the 605 OTA update just so you don't encounter any problems due to an empty sd slot... Nothing will be touched on the sd card during the SBF process.

joenuclear
02-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I've got the new phone rooted and up and running. I didn't run the SBF process. When I switched phones I put a blank sd card in the old phone and ran d2bootstrap. I chose to erase all user data and the shipped them the old phone. Thanks for all your help especially Scram.

Scram
02-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Glad to help. Hope you don't have any problems with returning a moded phone because wiping data in bootstrap on a romed phone doesn't remove the root or rom. It just returns it to the state of first flashing the rom... Did you get everything restored on the new phone OK???

joenuclear
02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
The X works just like it did before the switch [awesome]. I'm not too concerned with the modded phone. The screen is fubared and it's almost 2 years old. I'm gonna use the X till it fails. The X has taught me that I don't have to upgrade every time a new phone comes out.