PDA

View Full Version : Motorola's ICS Device Specific Update Plans Released

wicked
02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
It's finally here folks, Motorola has announced it's device list that will be seeing the 4.0.x aka Ice Cream Sandwich update. The following screen shot comes via Moto's Forums (https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c) and is a very detailed and comprehensive list. Some users will be disappointed to see that their wait is still a long way off, but at least the news is out there and Moto has made due on their promise to release their schedule as soon as it was available. Without further adieu, the update info is as follows:

http://static.droidblog.net/chrisr/android/motoupdate1.png

http://static.droidblog.net/chrisr/android/motoupdate2.png

http://static.droidblog.net/chrisr/android/motoupdate3.png

http://static.droidblog.net/chrisr/android/motoupdate4.png

Originally posted by cereal killer at Droid Forums (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/198593-motorolas-ics-device-specific-update-plans-released.html)

Via. Moto Forums (https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c)

gbrinn
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Figured we (DX) wouldn't but still disappointing. Good luck to X2 users, though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

BHuber09
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
X2?!?!?!? Lucky people!!!!! Im jealous

FreeMyMoto!!!

csk415
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
What really surprises me is the Droid razr, razr maxx and d4 are not even in the development stage.

cory46
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
X2?!?!?!? Lucky people!!!!! Im jealous

FreeMyMoto!!!

Yeah but those are listed with the caveat of "512 mb ram" meaning after applying the blur skin and functions = no dice for ICS watch,even though Google said any phone that could run gingerbread easily could run ICS

Even their phones released last week are being evaluated. By the time they roll out ICS the next version of android will be ready to deploy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

popcenator
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
..By the time they roll out ICS the next version of android will be ready to deploy

Sad but true..

on the move..

DroidXFanatic
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Im guessing this is going to piss off alot of Droid Razr users since they figured they would have it by now. This makes you wonder what these employees are really doing behind the scenes and if they are doing their job. This will only damage the "loyal" customers Motorola has and cause them to say no to Moto in the future. Droid X users should be very happy since we technically already have ICS and can use it as we please then go back to a rom that has a working camera if we please.

VorteX with Droid Junk Tools

Lane W
02-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Anyone think the X2 will come with ICS loaded if/when it is sent to customers as an insurance replacement?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

SupraRZ95
02-16-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm very happy with Motorola's build quality on their phones minus the new rzr. The fact they don't want to support a 2+ year old phone is understandable.

gbrinn
02-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Anyone think the X2 will come with ICS loaded if/when it is sent to customers as an insurance replacement?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsDon't hold your breath.

BHuber09
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
mhm cory you have a very very good point.
The fact is it could support it straight out.. just not with the blur.. mhmm thats so true. So pretty much itll be either no blur or no ics..

dracon6ai
02-16-2012, 11:40 PM
I doubt any 512 mb moto phone will get it. I know samsung ditched plans for ICS on their Galaxy S because it didn't have enough memory for ICS and their touch wiz skin, even though it can run it fine without touch wiz. Same thing will probably happen with motorola because of moto blur.

gbrinn
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
They get money for the built-in apps, so if they can't Blur it, they won't do it.

skooter16
02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
There is a milestone X2? I thought there was only one X2?

gbrinn
02-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Milestone X2 is the non-Verizon version of the X2.

osokaman
02-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Not sure if im in right place ..if im not very sorry.. Anyways I just recived a update for my phone (i have a droid x) and I think its the ICS , but not sure. My system version has changed its now 4.5.1....ect. Is this it or is this just a normal update?

HarleyDude
02-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Not sure if im in right place ..if im not very sorry.. Anyways I just recived a update for my phone (i have a droid x) and I think its the ICS , but not sure. My system version has changed its now 4.5.1....ect. Is this it or is this just a normal update?

It's not ICS, it's just a small bug fix
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/43906-feb-2012-update-soak.html

Lane W
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
It's not ICS, it's just a small bug fix
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/43906-feb-2012-update-soak.html

Hey Harley, what are your thoughts on this (a post I made today in another thread in DX Forum)

I have been postponing the 4.5.602 for some time (like 6 months). I read comments/reviews here in DX Forum as well as androidforums.com, where many people commented on the update not being successful, or worth doing for the radio update, and or having trouble with their Droid X not functioning after this update.

I currently have System version 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US. Will I be required to upgrade to 4.5.602 to be able to get the recently announced update (what I have seen titled 621 update for bugs). If I do update to .602 will I eventually, or very soon, have to update to .605 (in days or weeks?) and then attempt to update to .621. For that matter, is the .621 even worth doing or is it too soon to for anyone to really know that .621 update will provide repairs/patches worth taking up 15MB (but I've also seen this .621 update is 113MB).

If there's ever trouble once either of these updates are completed, is there a way to reverse back to 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US.? My DX is NOT rooted. Will this limit reverting back (SBF?)? I'm looking to root after the 1 yr manufacturer warranty expires in April of this year. With that in mind, would rooting the device lose any benefits in this current .621 update?

Thanks for any advice & suggestions

gbrinn
02-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Don't know about .596, but you can SBF to .602. I haven't had issues with it.

Lane W
02-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't know about .596, but you can SBF to .602. I haven't had issues with it.

Did you ever update to .605 or are you still on .602?

I just got the typical alert of "Install update" (I receive this every 12 hours). It is the update to 4.5.602. I suspect I will have to do this first in order to potentially get the .621 update/invitation. After doing the .602 I'll probably have to wait (days or weeks?) for the .605 update and then wait (days or weeks?) to get .621.

Since the Dx is already at its end of life I'd really like to get the .621 since this will probably be the last update for the Dx. Am I correct that .605 was to work out bugs in .602? I've had my Dx for 10 months and have not experienced any "trouble" after getting Gingerbread 2.3.3 last June or July. A few things: (1) What did 602 do or fix (2) What did .605 fix in .602? I believe there were "keyboard issues" in one of these and then a "radio update" (3) What does .621 offer?

Since .621 is like 5-6 months after .605 is this Motorola's last effort to support the Dx? Or is this Verizon sneaking in to limit what can/cannot be done to the Dx (root, rom's, etc). I'd hate to fix what ain't broke & get these updates, providing I can get all three of them, and then discover problems due to one of the updates. You said I should be able to cancel/revert back to .602 if or when any trouble happens? Would I need to root to do this or is this where a Factory Reset would do that? I am NOT rooted at this time, I'm waiting till 1 yr warranty expires in 2-3 months before doing root. Thanks

cory46
02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Did you ever update to .605 or are you still on .602?

I just got the typical alert of "Install update" (I receive this every 12 hours). It is the update to 4.5.602. I suspect I will have to do this first in order to potentially get the .621 update/invitation. After doing the .602 I'll probably have to wait (days or weeks?) for the .605 update and then wait (days or weeks?) to get .621.

you can usually pull the update ( 602 to 605 ) a few minutes after your system has loaded if you go to system/ about phone / check for updates

Since the Dx is already at its end of life I'd really like to get the .621 since this will probably be the last update for the Dx. Am I correct that .605 was to work out bugs in .602? I've had my Dx for 10 months and have not experienced any "trouble" after getting Gingerbread 2.3.3 last June or July. A few things: (1) What did 602 do or fix (2) What did .605 fix in .602? I believe there were "keyboard issues" in one of these and then a "radio update" (3) What does .621 offer?

1) 602 I believe this is the correct it also included radio update.. .changelog here .602 update is live (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/165989-602-update-live.html#post1690378)
2) 605 was basically a keyboard bug fix
3) 621 changelog here DROID X Update is Build 4.5.621 – Fixes a Whole Bunch of Bugs – Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/17/droid-x-update-is-build-4-5-621-fixes-a-whole-bunch-of-bugs/)

Since .621 is like 5-6 months after .605 is this Motorola's last effort to support the Dx? Or is this Verizon sneaking in to limit what can/cannot be done to the Dx (root, rom's, etc). I'd hate to fix what ain't broke & get these updates, providing I can get all three of them, and then discover problems due to one of the updates. You said I should be able to cancel/revert back to .602 if or when any trouble happens? Would I need to root to do this or is this where a Factory Reset would do that? I am NOT rooted at this time, I'm waiting till 1 yr warranty expires in 2-3 months before doing root. Thanks

this is most likely the final update for the droid x. It reached its End Of Life last March. Does the 621 update block root or update the bootloader.. no one knows it isnt out yet, it most likely doesn't update the bootloader but it most likely closes up any root possibility. Like i said though its all unknown because it isnt available yet. If you want to revert back there are sbf files for 2.3.340 (froyo) and 4.5.602 (gingerbread) you can use those at anytime without root baring the 621 update doesn't update the bootloader (which like i said is very unlikely). A factory reset will do nothing besides wipe all user data and system data from your current system. you would still be on what ever version your phone is one before you did a factory reset.

osokaman
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
So I noticed that Motorola is doing somthing call a soak test on the droid x. Is that good thing, and if I get an invite should I join or pass....Also thxs on reponse to my question.

Lane W
02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
you can usually pull the update ( 602 to 605 ) a few minutes after your system has loaded if you go to system/ about phone / check for updates.

1) 602 I believe this is the correct it also included radio update.. .changelog here .602 update is live (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/165989-602-update-live.html#post1690378)
2) 605 was basically a keyboard bug fix
3) 621 changelog here DROID X Update is Build 4.5.621 Fixes a Whole Bunch of Bugs Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/17/droid-x-update-is-build-4-5-621-fixes-a-whole-bunch-of-bugs/)

Ok - I now have a better understanding of these updates. 602 would be my first step. But, again, I don't know that I've had any trouble(s) running GB 2.3.3. What were the troubles & what did the radio update do or fix? Was 602 a successful update? I've been running Swiftkey X for a loonnnng time and don't have any keyboard trouble. If I choose not to get 605 because I don't have keyboard issues, would that prevent me from getting 621 if/when it is available? Or is 605 "automatically" offered to resolve the keyboard issues within 602?

What will happen going from 596 to 602? This is a UI update, correct? :confused: What will happen to my existing data, apps, contacts, etc? Is this a time to back everything up before 602 and then re-install everything after the update?

Thanks for your reply Cory. I've seen your posts all over Dx forum, you are a wealth of information.

cory46
02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
The radio update updated the radio. I don't know what you mean by successful update, but if your asking if it works yes. 602 was an official gingerbread update for Verizon. Ui is almost identical to 596 (think 3g icon was different about it)

The update threads in the gingerbread section will be able to better give you an idea of updating from 596 to 602

You won't be able to update to 621 stock without following their update path ( 602 > 605 > 621)

Sent from my DroidX using Tapatalk

Lane W
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Lane W
02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Last question about this - What will happen to my existing data, apps, contacts, etc? Is this a time to back everything up before 602 and then re-install everything after the update? Or is this only a concern on a factory reset & 602 will not have an effect on what's on the phone.

Sorry to be questioning things on such on older subject. I have been hesitant to get 602 because I seem to recall various posts about problems after the update. However, all these issues may have been resolved by 605. How far after 602 was 605 released? Any idea how long it will take for my phone to get the 605 after I get 602?

Thanks again Cory, have a great week!

bobd27
02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lane W;531653]Last question about this - What will happen to my existing data, apps, contacts, etc? Is this a time to back everything up before 602 and then re-install everything after the update? Or is this only a concern on a factory reset & 602 will not have an effect on what's on the phone.

Sorry to be questioning things on such on older subject. I have been hesitant to get 602 because I seem to recall various posts about problems after the update. However, all these issues may have been resolved by 605. How far after 602 was 605 released? Any idea how long it will take for my phone to get the 605 after I get 602?

Thanks again Cory, have a great week![/QUOTE

I've run 602 and 605 without incident. NO lost contacts or apps. The update shouldn't wipe your info (shouldn't being the operative word) anything can happen and it;s always good to back-up, what 621 will do is a ? as it hasn't been released. I would go ahead and do the other 2 updates and decide about 621 later.

Lane W
02-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I've run 602 and 605 without incident. NO lost contacts or apps. The update shouldn't wipe your info (shouldn't being the operative word) anything can happen and it;s always good to back-up, what 621 will do is a ? as it hasn't been released. I would go ahead and do the other 2 updates and decide about 621 later.

Thanks for the reply Bob.

What's the best form of backup? I have AppBrain and app 2 SD Pro but that only backs up Market apps. Correct? I've done backup(s) before and understand the pros/cons of doing so. What concerns me is non-Market apps and other apps cannot be backed up (Speedview, Super tool box, Pano, Lookout, Jorte {finally set up correctly to sync w/ Google calendar}, Lastpass, CarHome Ultra, AVG anitvirus. Or others that may have been 'on sale' (OfficeSuite from $14.99 to $4.99, Swiftkey X, etc) and those that were $0.00 at the time & were obtained from a source other than Market.

Any way to back all these up to not have to find them again (providing they are all still available) and have to buy them again? "I've run 602 and 605 without incident. NO lost contacts or apps", Did you root before/after this? In case you missed it in my signature (others in Dx forum have) I'm running this: 2.3.3 System version 4.5.596 MB810 Stock, no root. I understand root offers more, but there are problems & concerns all over this site that have not encouraged me to root my Dx. Additionally, for my use I don't have or experience any limitations. I simply use it as a phone, Navigation in addition to my Garmin GPS, check email when notified of new mail, text now & then, check scores of games, bank balance/checks in-out, etc. I don't believe rooting it will offer more for my use, nor do I want to risk having troubles I would not be able to fix myself or very quickly - this forum's great but I can't be without a phone until I can get online to search here for a solution.

Thanks again for replying to my post & I look forward to anymore info you can give me.

ps My concern over possibly getting .621 is that is most likely the last update that will be offered to the Dx...

DirtyDroid
02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Titanium backup will backup all your apps that Google doesn't, haven't looked, bit are you rooted currently?

Lane W
02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, but no, as I said in the post:

I understand root offers more, but there are problems & concerns all over this site that have not encouraged me to root my Dx. Additionally, for my use, I don't have or experience any limitations. I simply use it as a phone, Navigation in addition to my Garmin GPS, check email when notified of new mail, text now & then, check scores of games, bank balance/checks in-out, etc.I don't believe rooting it will offer more for my use, nor do I want to risk having troubles I would not be able to fix myself or very quickly - this forum's great but I can't be without a phone until I can get online to search here for a solution.

Is there anything I can do to save Market & non-Market apps? Or is that limited to my not being rooted?

11:27 edit - Bob said "The update shouldn't wipe your info (shouldn't being the operative word)" Is this the case, or could the update wipe everything?

DirtyDroid
02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Check into mybackup from the market

Lane W
02-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Check into mybackup from the market

This app looks perfect. I'll check it out further when I have "the time." My girlfriend's having a 'crisis' and I've been on phone with her for a while.

Sorry for the delayed reply,

bobd27
02-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Lane, you could transfer everything to your pc either with via USB or with airdroid (a free app). I felt the same way about rooting but took the chance, you don't need to install roms or anything. You can gain root then just freeze the "bloatware" Verizon loads up. Then you can use Titanium backup for all your stuff. There's loads of help on the boards and it is easy with videos step by step instructions. But it is your phone and we all understand the trepidation.

Lane W
02-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Lane, you could transfer everything to your pc either with via USB or with airdroid (a free app). I felt the same way about rooting but took the chance, you don't need to install roms or anything. You can gain root then just freeze the "bloatware" Verizon loads up. Then you can use Titanium backup for all your stuff. There's loads of help on the boards and it is easy with videos step by step instructions. But it is your phone and we all understand the trepidation.

I gotta play the ignorant card Bob cause I just haven't seen enough that will benefit me by rooting. I believe it's satisfying my needs in its current status. What am I really missing? What have you discovered after you "took the chance" that really helps you? "you don't need to install roms or anything" -what will a ROM do or not do. By freezing the bloatware, once rooted, will this thing really be faster, or is that to free up space? I thought I saw somewhere that root prohibits getting OTA's. Correct? :confused:

Are you familiar with DirtyDroid's suggestion of myBackup (post # 31)? I looked into this app & was planning to do this to avoid any trouble/limitations saving/reloading my apps once I get 602 & then 605. News about 621 is that it will block/not allow root, SBF, etc. http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/22/droid-x-update-to-621-breaks-ability-to-sbf-back-to-earlier-firmware/. I think I'll get to 602 then 605 and look into root more seriously after the manufacturer's warranty expires in April, but I welcome your thoughts/opinion on the benefits of rooting.

Thanks for your time Bob :)

bobd27
02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
you're welcome. I agree with you if you don't see a benefit and it's working for you that's great, my dad always said "if it ain't broke, don'
t fix it." After the warranty expires you can play and not worry :)

Lane W
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
you're welcome. I agree with you if you don't see a benefit and it's working for you that's great, my dad always said "if it ain't broke, don'
t fix it." After the warranty expires you can play and not worry :)

I'm going to upload myBackup over the weekend to save my apps & get the .602 update - since that's been available for like 6 months :p I guess I'll see improvement in the performance as well as a possible better/stronger 3G signal. :confused: I'm on wifi at home (which is where my office is) so I rarely see a weak signal strength. When I travel for work (driving) to Boston, Springfield, Hartford & New York City there are some intermittent "down times" and that may improve with 602 & Radio 13. I follow the same philospophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so only time will tell :rolleyes:

I've seen posts here that vzw could update .605 to .621 "while you're sleeping" or push 621 on us so I think I'll sit at .602 & skip 605. It should be improvement over .596 that I've been on for a while, but I'd hate to fix what ain't broke, so we'll see. If the Dx end of life was March 2011, why are they issuing 621 update that has drawbacks & will actually limit the Droid's overall capabilities? Just asking...

Lane W
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
02/27 Update - NOTHING was lost after the 602 upgrade, everything is PERFECT :shocked:

I did everything to back up all the apps. (1) Made sure everything was backed to Astro File Manager (2) Copied Astro File Mgr contents to my desktop in case of SD failure (3) Uploaded myBackup Pro to phone & set all that up by saving apps/media/data to SD card. I didn't believe their 30 day trial so I bought it for $4.99 as a safety precaution (4) Went to myBackup Pro web site (https://www.rerware.com (https://www.rerware.com/)) to be sure everything was backed up to their "online" account. I had to buy "more space" at a cost of $2/month for 1GB, but this gave me piece of mind. (5) Executed upgrade to .602.

7-8 minutes later the phone rebooted and a few moments later ALL the app shortcuts were showing on the various screens on my Droid :excited: I was so nervous about losing everything and spent the past few days investigating the potential outcome and how to be prepared for "the worst." Alas, "the worst" was the 7-8 minutes waiting for the Dx to reboot. After it was up & running 100% I rebooted the phone a second time so everything could re-set and re-establish itself. Turned it off so it wouldn't be automatically upgraded to .605 while I was asleep and and then hit the rack for some zzzz's.

It's been on & running normally for a few hours now (although not used too much today) & I'm so excited that this was sooooo freaking easy. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_%20banana.gif

System: 4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.en.US... Baseband: BP_C_01.09.13P... Build: 4.5.1_57_DX5-32