PDA

View Full Version : At 2 year mark with DX - looking for ROM recommendation

dsteinschneider
02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I've been running my DX rooted since the beginning and for the last year have been on the p3droid pre-rooted .602. I use wugfresh's tethering solution for very infrequent but important tethering sessions. I was recently given a DINC that is running CM7 and was surprised at how smooth and fast it runs. My DX currently force closes everytime I click on Settings > Accounts so I'm about to use my KSD iso. I've never run an alternative ROM because the rooted stock plus Launcher Pro has worked well.

I start every day with a charged up extended battery and carry an extra so battery life isn't as important as stability, smooth operation and speed. I'm leaning towards Vortex and would appreciate any recommendations that best match my above needs.

Thanks

BHuber09
02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Stability = Vortex, Apex, Liberty
in that order.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Brad92
02-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Apex is the most stable IMO. Vortex is ok if you like stock, but it just seems too much like stock to me.

CM7 is really nice and has a ton of customization, as does MIUI.

Galnet MIUI

dsteinschneider
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for tips, confirms the impression I gathered from reading threads here. I like the CM7 on the DINC but that phone doesn't have carrier service and is just being used as a internet radio using WiFi (and backup in case something happens to DX). Maybe that's why its so fast and operates so smoothly.

How "unstable" is CM7 on the DX? I need reliable exchange email, (TouchDown Pro), navigation and WiFi Tether. Also need reliable Bluetooth. I forget to mention that. When I was on Froyo I could play mp3's though bluetooth but Gingerbread broke that. Also I've have needed to sometimes go through a little routine of turning the phone's bluetooth on and off as well as the Voyager Pro to reconnect.

One other flaw the phone has right now is it doesn't charge if the battery is dead. That hasn't been a problem because I charge multiple extra batteries in external chargers. I'm mentioning these to illustrate that life isn't perfect with this almost stock .602. Pretty close though.

dsteinschneider
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
One last thought - I am a little bored with the DX right now, it's been a year since I've made any changes to it. Which ROM is the most fun and still reliable for calls, nav and email?

Nemo aeternamn
02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
If you wanna try cm7 for the dx you can get it over at rootz wiki... The thread is "updated info on rev"... And it's incredibly smooth and stable... The only thing I'm unsure of us the exchange email... As I don't use that... But with the so I believe it would work great

post script: here's the link to cm7 for the ginger kernel
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/

"I'll get you my little pretty... and your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

adamwhitehead
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Dont forget to try Liquid!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

dtroup64
02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Exchange email works perfectly on CM7. Works perfectly on MIUI as well. Both are incredibly fun. Good luck!

Brad92
02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
CM7 is very stable for the X. It may not be officially called stable, but its stable as far as I'm concerned.

Galnet MIUI

JriderG
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
I am running froyo kernel with liberty 2.0. I have tried every rom pretty much besides miui. The worst thing about non blur Roms is the aosp camera. It is terrible...but blur based gingerbread has tether blocking crap. This is why I'm on froyo liberty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dsteinschneider
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi JriderG, I used the wugfresh solution to fix the tether blocking for my pre-rooted .602. Does his solution work for custom GB based ROM's? I would think they would bake it in. I can see why people would go for the froyo based custom ROMs, especially regarding changes to Bluetooth for the worse.

I can live with very occasional reboots if otherwise GPS, email, tethering and bluetooth work consistently. Since I already am familiar with CM7 perhaps Galnet MIUI would be a good choice? I know it changes all the time but which ROM has the biggest user base?

skooter16
02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Definitely miui and vortex I believe have the biggest user base.

Brad92
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Definitely miui and vortex I believe have the biggest user base.

Depends on the forum you're on. Vortex and MIUI seem to be the most popular here but on others CM7 and Liberty seem to be popular also.

You really can't go wrong with any GB based ROM.

Galnet MIUI

JriderG
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
I just run into problems with the tether patch. Probably just need to find the right tether version. I just avoid it.

dsteinschneider
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
This thread is helping me narrow down these ROMS in order of interest:
CM7
Vortex RC1
MIUI
Liberty

I know there were mentions of Apex and Liquid but I'm going to stick with the larger user base ROM's

savagerun
02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks like a fine selection.

Quicksilver7714
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I posted a thread about 2 months ago looking for a stable fast rom. I ended up on Vortex RC1. Currently my DX is a wifi device but Vortex absolutely flies. It's smooth as butter and faster than I thought it would be. My phone is running better than when it was new.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spodoc
02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
This thread is helping me narrow down these ROMS in order of interest:
CM7
Vortex RC1
MIUI
Liberty

I know there were mentions of Apex and Liquid but I'm going to stick with the larger user base ROM's

Liberty will give you the battery savings and full functionality of gingerbread blur roms but with the look, feel, and customization of cm. Miui will give the most customization. Cm will probably be the snappiest. Apex will have the best battery life, almost as good as stock. Vortex, eh. I know folks here love it but I didn't see it as anything special. They are all very good though and way stable enough for you to run all day with only minor hiccups and annoyances.

Cm shows all my album art when nothing else does. It gets 3x worse resting g battery drain compared to stock. Miui does not display. Y album art and jumble my songs. Lpp fcs on vortex. Icould go on. Experiment

Brad92
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Liberty will give you the battery savings and full functionality of gingerbread blur roms but with the look, feel, and customization of cm. Miui will give the most customization. Cm will probably be the snappiest. Apex will have the best battery life, almost as good as stock. Vortex, eh. I know folks here love it but I didn't see it as anything special. They are all very good though and way stable enough for you to run all day with only minor hiccups and annoyances.

Cm shows all my album art when nothing else does. It gets 3x worse resting g battery drain compared to stock. Miui does not display. Y album art and jumble my songs. Lpp fcs on vortex. Icould go on. Experiment

I have to agree with this, although I got the best battery life from Apex. Better than stock.

Galnet MIUI

dsteinschneider
02-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I've come full circle after this discussion and other threads here, rootzwiki and some threads found elsewhere by search engine. I'm going with Vortex RC1. This thread is now a good jumping off place for someone with a DX in 2012 looking to get up to speed on what's been happening with DX ROM development for the past year. I also took a close look at ChevyNo1's SSX. It looked promising but I decided to look elsewhere because it appears that development ended on it last fall although that shouldn't stop someone from using a ROM if it meets their needs.

Here's my simplistic take on the ROM's in February 2012:

1. Vortex RC1: Fast and smooth but to some boring because its too much like stock. Not the best battery life but close enough. Gives much more control over Android OS and is thoroughly de-bloated. Doesn't negatively impact use of camera, GPS and WiFi.
2. CM7: More stable than even it's own developers think it is. Users think its plenty stable - that bugs are minor. Is more fun to customize than stock. Very fast
3. MIUI: It seems like the most knowledgeable posters here are running Galnet MIUI. It appears to be the most popular ROM right now which is a big reason to check it out. There must be a bunch of reasons its so popular. Con is that it may have enough annoyances/instability to make a business user unhappy.
4. Liberty: Good compromise between battery life and full gingerbread functionality yet more customizable as stated by spocdoc.

spodoc
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I would say you choose between two worlds: roms that use stock as a base (liberty, vortex, apex, rubix, shuji, sensei mod, debloated stock 605) or 2nd init (cm7, ssx, liquid, miui, encounter ics, omfgb). 2nd init roms other than miui all feel very similar and perform similar. The latest cm is the best since it has some fixes from these past few weeks (e.g. charge light, 1% battery). All 2nd init roms have a high idle battery drain, about 3x what stock roms have. So if you are one of those that need your phone to last all day, just forget 2nd init. I am slowly compiling real data on battery life (e.g. how much is used per hour at rest for each rom). I frankly don't believe any claims that differentiate one 2nd init rom from another unless I see data. They are all just so similar and your mind can really convince you one rom gets "better" life than another.

So if its battery life, go stock based and compare yourself. If its the ultimate power, speed, and customization, go 2nd init.

As far as miui goes, I can't get it to sort my music properly. I'm too busy to fiddle so I just get frustrated and flash back.

Regarding stability and lag, those are very user dependent and subjective. Make up your own mind. Just try not to compare across the stock vs 2nd init roms as they are just two different worlds.

Oh, and follow drod2169 (Derek Rodriguez) on twitter. He's releasing rubix next week and his testers have some impressive claims of battery life. Might be another stock-based rom to consider next week.

Goose306
02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
I would say you choose between two worlds: roms that use stock as a base (liberty, vortex, apex, rubix, shuji, sensei mod, debloated stock 605) or 2nd init (cm7, ssx, liquid, miui, encounter ics, omfgb). 2nd init roms other than miui all feel very similar and perform similar. The latest cm is the best since it has some fixes from these past few weeks (e.g. charge light, 1% battery). All 2nd init roms have a high idle battery drain, about 3x what stock roms have. So if you are one of those that need your phone to last all day, just forget 2nd init. I am slowly compiling real data on battery life (e.g. how much is used per hour at rest for each rom). I frankly don't believe any claims that differentiate one 2nd init rom from another unless I see data. They are all just so similar and your mind can really convince you one rom gets "better" life than another.

So if its battery life, go stock based and compare yourself. If its the ultimate power, speed, and customization, go 2nd init.

As far as miui goes, I can't get it to sort my music properly. I'm too busy to fiddle so I just get frustrated and flash back.

Regarding stability and lag, those are very user dependent and subjective. Make up your own mind. Just try not to compare across the stock vs 2nd init roms as they are just two different worlds.

Oh, and follow drod2169 (Derek Rodriguez) on twitter. He's releasing rubix next week and his testers have some impressive claims of battery life. Might be another stock-based rom to consider next week.

IMO (again, this is subjective) MIUI, DefX in particular, sees better battery life. This is because it is able in my particular situation to run at a lower clock rate and still be very robust and speedy. This is because the base hardware implementation is on the Defy, which has a weaker processor than the DX, so I find that I can easily run it at 800-900 with undervolting without any real loss in my daily usage, which is mostly around 90% browser, calling, and texting when I'm using it. If I am running a graphically intensive game then I will sometimes bump it up. But I am able to run Robot Unicorn Attack @ 900 Mhz with no slow-down or lag, which is fine with me.

Battery life is completely and utterly dependent on how you use your phone. On DefX I have been able to easily push it around 48 hours with light usage, staying on WIFI, text, and some light browsing. I would agree that stock is slightly better. The best I was able to pull with Vortex was around 56 or so hours, under the same conditions ascribed above.

Again, this is my subjective view, but it also makes sense to me, knowing which hardware base it is developed from initially. DefX MIUI was originally designed for a slower phone, so when put on a phone that is capable of higher clocks, it is very easy to underclock and keep it going. Under normal usage (100-200 texts a day, a couple minutes here and there on the phone, probably a couple hours of web browsing) I have no problems pulling it through all day, which for me is from 5 am until at least 9:30 pm, if not later usually. I have never been able to get that out of CM7, try as I might, and underclocking and undervolting on CM7 to my MIUI settings makes it feel sluggish. I did like CM7, not knocking it in any way at all, but I've gotten so settled on my MIUI and getting it so dialed in as it is now, its hard to try anything different.

I don't have any real hard data for this, just out of general user experience running MIUI since it was Framework's releases back on the Milestone builds until now, and trying various other options when development got slow on it.

My two cents on battery life, for mostly 2nd-init that is.

AdamTomaino
02-17-2012, 10:24 AM
One last thought - I am a little bored with the DX right now, it's been a year since I've made any changes to it. Which ROM is the most fun and still reliable for calls, nav and email?
Miui, it is like a whole new phone! or CM7 for a better stockish experience..

spodoc
02-17-2012, 03:25 PM
IMO (again, this is subjective) MIUI, DefX in particular, sees better battery life. This is because it is able in my particular situation to run at a lower clock rate and still be very robust and speedy. This is because the base hardware implementation is on the Defy, which has a weaker processor than the DX, so I find that I can easily run it at 800-900 with undervolting without any real loss in my daily usage, which is mostly around 90% browser, calling, and texting when I'm using it. If I am running a graphically intensive game then I will sometimes bump it up. But I am able to run Robot Unicorn Attack @ 900 Mhz with no slow-down or lag, which is fine with me.

Battery life is completely and utterly dependent on how you use your phone. On DefX I have been able to easily push it around 48 hours with light usage, staying on WIFI, text, and some light browsing. I would agree that stock is slightly better. The best I was able to pull with Vortex was around 56 or so hours, under the same conditions ascribed above.

Again, this is my subjective view, but it also makes sense to me, knowing which hardware base it is developed from initially. DefX MIUI was originally designed for a slower phone, so when put on a phone that is capable of higher clocks, it is very easy to underclock and keep it going. Under normal usage (100-200 texts a day, a couple minutes here and there on the phone, probably a couple hours of web browsing) I have no problems pulling it through all day, which for me is from 5 am until at least 9:30 pm, if not later usually. I have never been able to get that out of CM7, try as I might, and underclocking and undervolting on CM7 to my MIUI settings makes it feel sluggish. I did like CM7, not knocking it in any way at all, but I've gotten so settled on my MIUI and getting it so dialed in as it is now, its hard to try anything different.

I don't have any real hard data for this, just out of general user experience running MIUI since it was Framework's releases back on the Milestone builds until now, and trying various other options when development got slow on it.

My two cents on battery life, for mostly 2nd-init that is.

The thing is you can get real data and remove the subjectivity. Charge to 100%. Then unplug and go to bed. Wake up in the morning and divide your percent lost by hours slept. So if you are at 92% and slept 4 hours that is 2% lost per hour. I did that and got the following data:
Stock 602: 0.8%/hr
Liberty 3: 1.2%/hr
Cm7gb: 2.9%/hr

I think this would be a good indication of what you could expect.
Over the next few weeks I'm going to do this for a lot of roms because I'm curious. I will also do an intensive drain where I leave a game running with screen on and see how long to dead (e.g. 3.5 hrs).

My percents wont compare to yours because my battery may be older or of different capacity, my email and Widgets are different, etc. But my results relative to each other I think would shed some light on this issue. Just gotta find the time.

I'm sure nobody will care though :) its kinda boring.