PDA

View Full Version : What do I do next?

adithya
02-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Hello Everyone,
I just rooted my droid x (Gb 2.3.3, 4.5.605) yesterday and now I don't know what to do with my phone. I want to install some custom roms but I get lost when I see few term like clockwork recovery mode and wiping data/cache. As you can see I am a complete noob to these things. I have download Titanium Backup pro but I don't know how is it helpful. Now If someone can help me with installing customs roms I'll be really thankful to u guys. cheers..

PeakyBoo
02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Hello Everyone,
I just rooted my droid x (Gb 2.3.3, 4.5.605) yesterday and now I don't know what to do with my phone. I want to install some custom roms but I get lost when I see few term like clockwork recovery mode and wiping data/cache. As you can see I am a complete noob to these things. I have download Titanium Backup pro but I don't know how is it helpful. Now If someone can help me with installing customs roms I'll be really thankful to u guys. cheers..
Hey congratulations and welcome to the other side.......haha..
Ok so now you want to READ, READ AND READ. Then when you are done and think your ready to flash a Rom...... go back and Read, Read, Read it again.
Seriously .. you really need to make sure you understand what it all about first.. DXF Forum is my favorite and Friendly place to start.. there are also other forums ..but IMO this is the best place to start..... Just search for topics that you want to learn about.
You can start with this.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/
I am at work now and don't have access to some other links within DXF..
Will come back later..
Some other apps you will need are;
RootExplorer, Rom manager, SQ Lite Editor .... all are in the market....
Hope this helps for now.... I am sure more DXF-ers will chime in here soon..
Again welcome aboard ...

PBzDX

fezrock
02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Welcome!

Start reading here. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225830

More links to follow and read coming. I can't stress enough the importance of reading this stuff before modifying your phone. It's become epidemic lately, the flashing of roms wrong because of a lack of understanding due to a lack of simple reading.

That small bit of reading makes life easier and more enjoyable. Exploring roms is fun!

Read up, and understand the terms used, and the concepts discussed before flashing a rom.

As promised, links on the way...

(This is a tapa sig) r...e...a...d :)

fezrock
02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
1) the sbf thread (the best one IMO)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=267721

Get this done first. It's the "save your bacon if you foul up" necessity. Much better to have it ready BEFORE you do something stoopid. As most of us do eventually.

fezrock
02-09-2012, 07:29 AM
The roms you can flash- http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/

Please read carefully to be sure they are the versions for .605 or .602 GB. They will state it unambiguously.

fezrock
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Did I forget to mention asking any questions you may have? Please do so! It's highly encouraged!

To dxf members- Have some helpful flashing advice? Good links to help someone be prepared to flash a rom? Insert here :)

Scram
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Back up your apps with titanium backup which you already have.. Export your contacts to your sd card because you may find it useful later as some roms don't play well with Google backed up contacts aosp roms don't use backup assistant.. Get D2bootstrap from the market and make a nandroid. D2bootstrap is for the droid x, don't let the name fool ya. And last but definitely not least, burn your self an SBF boot disk and familiarize yourself with the SBF process. The boot disk is from 1kds and can be found on the forum.... Welcome to our world and enjoy:)

Sent from my liberated DX

PeakyBoo
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Back up your apps with titanium backup which you already have.. Export your contacts to your sd card because you may find it useful later as some roms don't play well with Google backed up contacts aosp roms don't use backup assistant.. Get D2bootstrap from the market and make a nandroid. D2bootstrap is for the droid x, don't let the name fool ya. And last but definitely not least, burn your self an SBF boot disk and familiarize yourself with the SBF process. The boot disk is from 1kds and can be found on the forum.... Welcome to our world and enjoy:)

Sent from my liberated DX

Droid 2 Bootstrap is for 2nd int Roms only. Droidx bootstrap is for 1st int Roms ... (someone correct me if I am not saying that right)
There is really no need to do either of them if you use rom manager and then DL the CWM that is for your phone and whichever DX BS or D2 BS is for your Rom....

Yes backup with TIBU is a must do.....

PBzDX

chuck54
02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Droid 2 bootstrap will bootloop your phone if on a second init ROM. You'll have to use the reboot menu to het into recovery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dennyjones
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
+1 what Scram says. Since you are already rooted, your first priority is to make a nandroid backup so you can return to stock / rooted. You have been given great advise here but the best advise is to ask questions until you no longer have questions. Read the terminology. Learn about the sbf process for it will save your butt when all else fails.

You can not hurt your phone by being rooted and installing a rom. It may seem at times that it is bricked, but alas, you've found the best forum on the web and you can always get help.

Ask!

The persuader
02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Ditto,Ditto, Ditto...Who's Your Daddy...:smile:

Its Bubba
+1 what Scram says. Since you are already rooted, your first priority is to make a nandroid backup so you can return to stock / rooted. You have been given great advise here but the best advise is to ask questions until you no longer have questions. Read the terminology. Learn about the sbf process for it will save your butt when all else fails.

You can not hurt your phone by being rooted and installing a rom. It may seem at times that it is bricked, but alas, you've found the best forum on the web and you can always get help.

Ask!