PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, I need help with my sd card in CyanogenMod

dechristimo
02-05-2012, 10:53 PM
So, I just followed the directions from this page [ROM]CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0 X2 [BETA][TETHERING][BT FIXED AGAIN] - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1442803) (and used all the downloads it gave).
But I'm in CM7 now and, well first of all it's beautiful congrats to dragonzkilla for an awesome job, but 2) my external sd card cant be read. I know it's renamed to emmc, but when certain apps (the one in mind right now is Network Spoofer) try to access it, they say that there is no sd card mounted and theres nowhere to reroute where app is looking for the sd card. Also I can't load my Nandroid backup, but i think that's a different issue I screwed up on.

The Message Network Spoofer gives me is "Oops! Something went wrong whilst trying to load. Perhaps the SD card isn't plugged in, or you didn't accept the superuser command?"

Any help is always muchly appreciated!

superwrench
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Common issue with a stock (cheap) sd card. Does anything on it work, like your gallery or camera? If not, you will probably need a new card. I suggest a name brand Class 4-6 card, like a SanDisk. Had to replace mine out of the blue one day, no warnings of any kind. It was a "no-name" that came with the phone. Hope this helps!

dechristimo
02-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I mean all of my files are still there, and I can use a lot of them. Honestly I don't really know where my problem is. As of now i've renamed my emmc file to sdcard-ext for lack of confusion, and i renamed the "sdcard-ext" to "badsdcard-ext" (and I know it's the other way around, but after having them flipped from the atrix rom I'm used to that).
And my nandroid backup was a backup of my 2.3.4 atrix 4G rom (my previous favorite) because the first step in his tutorial was to make a nandroid, then later you sbf'd. But looking back at it, it was named 1969-12-11.(insert random numbers here haha) and it's clearly not 1969. So I assumed i screwed up when i made the back up, but i still was getting the same unmatched m5 sum error everyone else seemed to be getting.

Anyways, overall, I don't know what's wrong Ill have to keep playing around to see, but one thing is sure, Network Spoofer cannot register that I have a SD card mounted.

SB50
02-06-2012, 02:52 AM
(the one in mind right now is Network Spoofer) try to access it, they say that there is no sd card mounted and theres nowhere to reroute where app is looking for the sd card. Also I can't load my Nandroid backup, but i think that's a different issue I screwed up on.

The Message Network Spoofer gives me is "Oops! Something went wrong whilst trying to load. Perhaps the SD card isn't plugged in, or you didn't accept the superuser command?"

Any help is always muchly appreciated!

That's actually just a generic error message Network Spoofer throws, it's incompatible with the Droid X (I got the exact same error, then noticed the description says it's incompatible with the Droid X). My phone is also running CM7 and the SD card works prefectly fine in every other app.

Are there any other apps not working? For example can you access files on your SD card through File Manager? I know you mentioned the nandroid backup perhaps being a different issue.

dechristimo
02-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Hmm, yeah it says it's incompatible with the X and the Atrix which are close to the X2 I suppose (i have an X2 not X). That might just be the problem.
And yeah I can access all my files now, I just had to give read/write permissions to certain folders.
And since Ive gotten all my data back some other way than Nandroid.... Im fully up and running on Cyanogenmod7!
Now I just gotta see what other cool mods there are to this!
Ahhh the world of rooting is fantastic (especially when theres so many people willing to help the less programming inclined like me haha)

poseidon
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey there dechristimo,

First things first: you can probably disregard claims that you have a defective sd card entirely. Unfortunately androids cli utilities are still substandard when it comes to generic operations, so they don't even have any errors to return or help to give. This isn't cyanogenmods fault, and it's not arguably google's either. They're reinventing the wheel for licensing purposes, so they have to replace 30 years of basic development so android is and will continue to be a work in progress. They fail silently or with the most generic explanations imaginable. That having been said, the most likely issue is that you need to repair your partition table or filesystem on the card.

If your proc fs is enabled on your rom then ~# cat /proc/filesystem will give you a list of the available and supported filesystems. FUSE makes this a little bit more complicated because it allows for userspace filesystem applications and therefore you should have added support for NTFS and HFS+ out of the box if you see that there. Since the tools will fail silently (this is a big no-no in traditional userspace utilities), there's nothing for higher level processes to hook into and report so it will just look like you have, for example, a defective SD card.

Typically you can just slap the SD card into a few machines and reformat them accordingly. Windows will give you NTFS and FAT* while Apple will give you HFS+, typically without a choice to use anything else. A linux system will allow you to format it with the native kernel-supported ext2-4, however I'd recommend you use NTFS unless you have additional requirements.

For those looking to experiment, you first use fdisk to build the partition table and break the sd card into however many parts you want. I have a class 10 128GB sd card, for example, so I made a 20GB FAT32 partition (which virtually everything from DOS onwards can read), and a 100GB ext2 partition. Make sure you edit the disk labels on the partition tables from fdisk. I made the fat32 partition on a win7 laptop and I formatted the ext2 partition directly via ~# mke2fs /dev/block/sda2.

Since android uses its own custom mechanisms for populating mknods in the /dev system you may need to eject the drive after using fdisk to ensure it populates your partitions and associated links appropriately.

licwid
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I was having similar issues, albeit with different apps on my DROID X2 using CM10a3. I am not sure if it is the same issue as you, but I'll add the info here just in case.

My issue was/is that most apps look in the default mount location for the internal an external SD cards. The default locations on my X2 were as follows. Please verify your locations before making these changes.
Internal sdcard - /mnt/sdcard
External sdcard - /mnt/sdcard-ext

However, CM10 (at least alpha 3) moves the mounts to the following. Again, verify these new locations before making any changes (use the built in File Explorer in CM10)
Internal sdcard - /storage/sdcard0
External sdcard - /storage/sdcard1

To fix the issue, open up the Terminal emulator

Sudo to super user by typing

su

Create a bind mount that links the CM10a3 mount location with the factory mount location for the INTERNAL sd card

mount -o bind /storage/sdcard0/ /mnt/sdcard/

If you have an external SD card, you may need to do the same for it depending on how everything is setup

mount -o bind /storage/sdcard1/ /mnt/sdcard-ext/

Sadly, if you reboot your phone, these binds are lost. I'm researching a way to fix this currently. I may end up writing a script that I can have the phone run automatically every time it restarts if I don't find a better solution.

As always, try these changes at your own risk as I take no responsibility for anything that happens as a direct or indirect result of the information I provided. This worked on my Droid X2 using CM10a3, but your mileage may vary.