PDA

View Full Version : EncounterICS Dual Boot with CM7 using Boot Manager

Dragonborn
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
This is how I got it to dual boot CM7 with EncounterICS with Boot Manager on my DX:

1. Do a Nandroid Backup of your CM7 install
2. Backup Apps with Titanium Backup (preferably Pro)
3. Load up Boot Manager
4. Pick one of your other slots than Phone ROM and pick "Install Zip"
5. The bottom option is "Restore Nandroid"
6. Pick your Nandroid that you just backed up.
7. Let it do its thing. May take 10 mins or so.

Now you have CM7 loaded into an SD ROM Slot. It's time to put ICS in the phone slot.

8. Scroll over to the Phone ROM (on the left). Boot Recovery.
9. In CWM, Wipe Data/Cache, then Dalvik (under Advanced)
10. Install the EncounterICS zip file
11. Install GAPPS 5.1 (for ICS)
12. Reboot

Now you're in ICS

13. Install Titanium
14. In Titanium, settings button, batch Restore missing apps with data.

You want to avoid restoring data if possible, since the system is set up differently than CM7 and it can lead to errors.

If you have trouble restoring apps (Titanium crashes while doing batch), do the following:
In Titanium, go to preferences (settings button), App processing mode (It's almost all the way at the bottom, and you need pro for this). Select Interactive. Now it will prompt you for each app but it gets it done, easier than downloading and installing them again.

To go back to CM7:

1. Install Boot Manager again.
2. Select the ROM Slot you stored your Nandroid in and Load ROM.

I honestly couldn't notice the speed difference running off the SD card.

To go back again to ICS:

1. Open Boot Manager.
2. Select your Phone ROM and Boot ROM.

I love EncounterICS and it's worth sacrificing the Camera functionality for me. I actually can't believe that Google/VZ pretend that it's the phone hardware that doesn't support ICS when ICS is noticeably faster and smoother. Obviously a ploy for newer phone sales.

Good work everyone who worked on this ROM!!!

giantsfan91
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
what is cm9? im using liberty rom.

jun991013
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Android 4.0

Sent from my PD_Novel using Tapatalk

Mike7143
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
would this work with say.... rooted 605 GB and EncounterICS?

cory46
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM

CyanogenMOD is a custom version of stock android. CyanogenMod 7 (cm7) is their version of android 2.3 aka gingerbread cm9 is the custom version of android 4.0 ice cream sandwich

Cm website http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
Cm9 in alpha beta stage looks like http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/ice-cream-sandwich-roms/42025-rom-cm9-encounterics-x-beta-3-stability.html

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Dragonborn
02-03-2012, 06:40 AM
would this work with say.... rooted 605 GB and EncounterICS?

Boot Manager only works with 2nd-INIT based ROMs so .605 rooted won't work. The most popular 2nd-INIT based ROMs are CM7 and MIUI.

I recently came from 605 rooted and it's a pretty painless and unscary process to flash CM7 as long as you backup with a nandroid then use titanium pro for app + data backup. Took me an hour maybe to get things running.

CM7 is far better than stock rooted (more customizable, intuitive interface, updated features that take ICS into account) and using ICS as an alternate (along with my familiarity of CM7 on my Touchpad) is what caused me to take the custom ROM plunge into CM7 on my X.

Specifically, I switched from rooted .605 to Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120131.r1 as my CM7 ROM.

Mike7143
02-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I really like the rooted 605... when it's behaving. I've actually installed Encounter right now and so far I'm loving it! I just wish that the camera was working. Does CM7 have a working camera? I downloaded the latest nightly from Cyanogenmod last night but have yet to try the dual-boot. If it does, then maybe this method for dual-boot will help out!

Dragonborn
02-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I really like the rooted 605... when it's behaving. I've actually installed Encounter right now and so far I'm loving it! I just wish that the camera was working. Does CM7 have a working camera? I downloaded the latest nightly from Cyanogenmod last night but have yet to try the dual-boot. If it does, then maybe this method for dual-boot will help out!

In CM7, the camera cuts off the sides of the screen so the aspect ratio is iphone instead of the widescreen X you're used to. I guess I don't use my camera a whole lot. Hopefully I don't miss out on filming some police brutality!

I had the rooted 605 for a while, and CM7 is better in every sense. Maybe it's removing the verizon bloatware, or maybe it's just the ROM, but CM7 is just fast. Not quite ICS fast, but very noticeably faster than 605. I have had the stock rooted since I got the X and I am now kicking myself for not doing custom ROMs earlier.

You should read the features list and the camera bug info, I am sure there are ROMs that handle it better than the one I suggested.

lehman70
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Ready to update the slot ROM I have CM9 as the phone ROM and GB CM7 as a slot ROM and I want to flash an update zip. Any tricks or thing I should be aware of before attempting this?

Dragonborn
03-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Ready to update the slot ROM I have CM9 as the phone ROM and GB CM7 as a slot ROM and I want to flash an update zip. Any tricks or thing I should be aware of before attempting this?

Just back everything up as normal - both your Phone ROM in clockwork and your slot rom using bootmanager! I love updating / installing ROMs, it gives me some sort of gratification.

lehman70
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Just back everything up as normal - both your Phone ROM in clockwork and your slot rom using bootmanager! I love updating / installing ROMs, it gives me some sort of gratification.

Thanks. Easy enough. First time using this app and it's pretty slick. I just wanted to be sure and avoid an SBF and new install all over again. This is great for playing with new 2nd-init ROMs. Would have been nice having this back when I was going back and forth between CM7 beta and Rubix. Man this DX sure behaves different now. In a great way!

lehman70
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok I updated the slot rom which was CM7. Since then I want to update CM9 my phone ROM but in CWM my download folder where all my downloaded zips has dissappered. And I cannot locate them anywhere. Any idea what's happened?