PDA

View Full Version : Problems trying to upgrade to GB

JGKC9AYC
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Alltel (non-divested) guy here.
I got the message that GB is now available for my Milestone X. I downloaded it & hit the "install now" button. It got about 1/4 of the way & stopped (an exclamation point showed up in the box by the droid). It restarted & told me that the update failed.
After trying this a few times, I called tech support & they told me the trick of using the search button during the next install attempt. This time it showed where it stopped. IIRC, it mentioned an avert error, then mentioned "\system\media\bootanimation.zip". I looked & saw no such file.
Can anyone help? If I can't get this installed can anyone recommend something else?
Thanks.

ngholson
01-29-2012, 03:50 PM
are you rooted with the bootstrap installed? if so then that is why, you will need a clean logwrapper file to replace your hacked one. make sure that the permissions are the same.24762

i attached a clean logwrapper file to this just unzip and use adb or root explorer to push this to the system/bin folder on your phone.

JGKC9AYC
01-29-2012, 05:08 PM
are you rooted with the bootstrap installed? if so then that is why, you will need a clean logwrapper file to replace your hacked one. make sure that the permissions are the same.24762

i attached a clean logwrapper file to this just unzip and use adb or root explorer to push this to the system/bin folder on your phone.

No...not rooted.

Nemo aeternamn
01-29-2012, 05:13 PM
then the file is in /data/local/...
maybe try moving to /system/media/... but you'd need to be rooted to move it because it's a system file

JGKC9AYC
01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
then the file is in /data/local/...
maybe try moving to /system/media/... but you'd need to be rooted to move it because it's a system file

Nothing in /data/local but an empty "temp" folder.

ngholson
01-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Nothing in /data/local but an empty "temp" folder.

that is because you are not rooted, you cannot see the files as they are protected by the android system. in order to see these files you need to be rooted and be using a file manager with root access such as Root Explorer. the most popular file manager, Astro, cannot view these files even with a rooted device.

edit: is your X fully stock? or have you made ANY tweaks at all to the device, such as themes? you can try doing a factory reset, then re-download the update and try again.

JGKC9AYC
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I rooted the phone since my OP & am using root explorer. That is how I knew about the /data/local. I had it rooted initially, but when I got the message about the upgrade, I un-rooted it. The only thing I did was install the Droid "red eyeball" boot animation. When I got the message about the folder during the attempted GB install, I rooted again, removed the bootanimation.zip file & tried again. I've done 2 factory resets already to no avail.

ngholson
01-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I rooted the phone since my OP & am using root explorer. That is how I knew about the /data/local. I had it rooted initially, but when I got the message about the upgrade, I un-rooted it. The only thing I did was install the Droid "red eyeball" boot animation. When I got the message about the folder during the attempted GB install, I rooted again, removed the bootanimation.zip file & tried again. I've done 2 factory resets already to no avail.

what recovery do you have installed? CWM? or are you using the stock recovery?

JGKC9AYC
02-01-2012, 05:24 AM
what recovery do you have installed? CWM? or are you using the stock recovery?Stock recovery.
I guess this is a dead thread now. I took the phone back to the local Alltel store & they swapped me out with a brand new Milestone X2. I'm gonna put that sales rep on my Christmas card list!
I appreciate everyone's help in this matter!