PDA

View Full Version : Did I just brick my phone?!??!

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I have a Droid X, on Froyo, rooted and running Honeybread. I moved to a new location and needed a new number, local to this area. I pressed *228, option 1 to activate the phone. The phone then rebooted and showed the android unpack animation. I panicked and pulled the battery. Am I sol?
:crazy:

The persuader
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Shouldnt make a differents if you Live In Kansas or Florida...if you *228...then #2 it just updates the Local towers for better reception....

Not sure why you'd see Android Unpack Animation...Just let the phone process your updates...

You may have to update your Area Code but thats it...

Its Bubba

I have a Droid X, on Froyo, rooted and running Honeybread. I moved to a new location and needed a new number, local to this area. I pressed *228, option 1 to activate the phone. The phone then rebooted and showed the android unpack animation. I panicked and pulled the battery. Am I sol?
:crazy:

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I did option 2 yesterday to update the towers to stop my phone from freezing, that went fine.

Today I did option 1 to set my new phone number to my phone.

The persuader
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
FYI...

This may be a phone call to Verizon to explain location change or possible Area Code Change with your phone...However, This shouldnt make a differents what State you Live in or Visiting with Service with your phone...

Other then Updating your Towers with *228 option 2...not sure why your Phone is Freezing tho...did it do this before...?

Its Bubba

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry if I'm missing something....my dad who handles the account called verizon and had them assign a new number to my phone. They told him to use option 1. I did and the unpack graphic started after it activated.

The persuader
01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Dad Nows Best,

However, not sure why your getting this message Uppack Message....If Dad said to Hit option 1...then let it do its process...Maybe it comes out Ok at the end of the Process...

Its Bubba

Sorry if I'm missing something....my dad who handles the account called verizon and had them assign a new number to my phone. They told him to use option 1. I did and the unpack graphic started after it activated.

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Just popped the battery in, message finished and it said the phone is returned to its original settings. It got passed the M logo, now it's a black screen.

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Holy smokes I thought it was dead but clockwork mod popped up! Should I just select reboot system now?

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I hit reboot and now I need to reconfigure it. I'm getting the "Welcome to DroidX Touch the Android to begin." Did I lose everything on my sd card? Should I continue setting it?

silver04v
01-25-2012, 09:43 PM
I hit reboot and now I need to reconfigure it. I'm getting the "Welcome to DroidX Touch the Android to begin." Did I lose everything on my sd card? Should I continue setting it?all this just from trying to activate with *228? wtf

silver04v
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
you wouldnt have lost sd card stuff, but all your data settings sound like they are gone, and maybe apps unless google account cooperates and downloads them back like its supposed to.

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Went through the setup and ADW popped up. My background is still there but I'm missing some apps. DevTools, Spare Parts, and Superuser are there as well. Titanium backup is gone along with Clockwork.

C Dippa
01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Were you running a ROM? It sounds like your data got wiped somehow. You should be able to reinstall Titanium and restore your app backups. For clockworkmod, since you're on froyo, just reinstall bootstrap and you're good to go.

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I was running Honeybread and it appears to still be running. :) Do I just download titanium from the market and click restore or do I have to install/do something else first?

C Dippa
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Nope...just install titanium and restore missing apps and data. If you had the titanium pro key, install that too first.

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone, this forum has been a great help. The rom isn't running 100%, it doesn't show the "APEX" or play the THX sound, but I'm complaining about that cuz it got old quickly.

C Dippa
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
So, is the new number working, like you were originally trying to do?

early_cuyler
01-25-2012, 11:44 PM
It is :)

early_cuyler
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Since yesterday I've been getting update messages and they give me 30 seconds to cancel them. I haven't done anything to my phone since I started this thread and assume I'm still rooted, is there any way to block these update messages? Would allowing the updates mess up my phone?

So the update downloaded, now I just have to keep delaying the update install, until I sbf. Is that correct?

Goose306
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Since your on Froyo I'd assume the update is GB. Don't know why it forced it to ya, probably something to do with the swap you had happen. Yeah, updating to GB naturally taking the OTA could cause some problems, especially since your on Honeybread. You will at least lose root, and at worst you'll need to SBF. I would honestly just recommend doing a quick backup of your apps/etc. via TiBu and just SBF to .602. It'll start you off fresh, and you'll be on GB to get the newest ROMs.

What version of Froyo you on? If your on .340 you could SBF to .340 and then flash Honeybread over the top. Usually custom ROMs stop the VZW mandatory updates, AFAIK, likely why you hadn't gotten the mandatory update earlier.