PDA

View Full Version : Want to try to ROM again.

Smittys
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
So I first tried rooting last February. I did it and installed Bootstrapper and then tried flashing Liberty ROM and ended up failing somehow and having to sbf. I wanna try to do it again. I am on Gingerbread .605 and want to flash Liberty 3 v 2.0. I have a question on the steps I should take and the EXACT order I should do them in to ensure that I don't have to SBF again. So here's what I think I have to do (already rooted):

Buy & install bootstrapped for the Droid 2
Recovery
Reboot Recovery
Wipe cache
Wipe data/cache
Wipe davlick cache
Install - Libery
Reboot
Wait for it to start up.

Are all of these steps correct and in proper order?

silver04v
01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Looks good, just make a backup before hand.
Also, make sure to check your MD5 of the liberty file on your sd card. I use android file verifier and find the file, long press, select md5 sum, compare against the md5 in the liberty thread.
If your md5 is wrong, thats when stuff doesnt flash right.

silver04v
01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Also, if you want to make sure your stuff restores, use titanium backup and backup user apps. NOT system apps.
As far as contacts, I usually go to contacts, menu, import/export, then export contacts to sd, that way it saves contacts to sd, and if your google account doesnt bring them back, you can go into contacts, menu, import contacts.

Smittys
01-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I used AFV to checl the md5 sum and it says Liberty3X-2.0Gold.zip could not verify any files in the /msnt/sdcard directory and says that the selected file doesnt appear to be formatted like an nandroid.md5 file

silver04v
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I just checked my liberty file on my sd card. Went fine. Did you unzip it or something? How did you dl it, from phone or transferred from computer?

Smittys
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Transferred from PC and no it's still zipped, never even clicked on it t look inside of it

silver04v
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
after the long press on the file your choosing the top option right?

silver04v
01-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Is your phone still connected to the computer via usb?

Smittys
01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh god. Sorry I'm dumb, I was choosing the other MD5 sum one. I totaly ignored the first one because I saw "calc". Sorry. It shows my MD5 sum and Im comparing it now

EDIT: They match 100%

Smittys
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
SO is it safe to flash it using the steps I listed?

savagerun
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
You should be good to go. Use droid2 bootstrap and wipe data factory reset then wipe cache partition next select advanced and wipe davlik cache. Next select install zip from sd then select choose zip from sd and find your Liberty zip and install it. Your md5 should match the one in this link http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10655-rom-liberty3-v20-for-the-droid-x-1128-sunday-bloody-sunday/
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Smittys
01-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Okay thank you. I'm just worried that I'll mess up my phone again when I do this. I don't want ti sbf again. I don't have time for that heart attack hahaha. The girlfriend wouldn't approve of me not responding to her texts for 5 hours anyways:p

I guess i'm going to try this later. I have 2 batteries charged to 100% in case I have to sbf for some reason. However I don't see why I would have to sbf. I've watched numerous videos on how people ROM and those are the EXACT steps they do, just a different rom.

Is anyone else confident that I wont have any troubles flashing this if the md5 sums are the same and I use those steps?

Hahaha sorry for being over cautious, its just that the first time that I tried to ever do anything g to this phone I had to sbf and first experiences change your thinking about everything related to that subject.

dtroup64
01-10-2012, 06:57 AM
You're looking good to go! Just follow the steps in order and enjoy Liberty. Great rom!
Definitely make a backup first as was suggested, that way you'll have a 605 nandroid for future Rom flashing fun!
Good luck!

Smittys
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Alright I'm gonna try this as soon as my battery is done charging. Fingers crossed:) Can't imagine anything bad happening if I do it right:p

ChoKeChaiN
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Looks solid to me brother!

Good luck, and enjoy your addiction ;)

Smittys
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Doing it as we speak. I'll post my succes/failure ;P

Smittys
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
SUCCESS MY FIRST ROM. I love you guys. Thanks for everything!<3 #addicted

silver04v
01-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Nice, way to go. It's easy if you don't over think it.

Running with MIUI

ChoKeChaiN
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! I loved Liberty, but I'm currently cheating on it with MIUI lol!

Smittys
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you:) this is the.coolest thing ever. I wish those iSuck 4s users would realize that android is so much better.

ChoKeChaiN
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you:) this is the.coolest thing ever. I wish those iSuck 4s users would realize that android is so much better.

Haha well personally I don't think the iPhone 4s is a bad phone.. I just prefer Android-based phones. But I'm glad you're satisfied xD

Try flashing some more at your own pace. MIUI is my favorite, with Liberty at a close 2nd. Also VorteX is a great route to go. There are lots to choose from!

Don't forget to read up on backing up nandroids and how to work CWM. I'd have a look at Titanium Backup as well.

Smittys
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah the iphone is a great phone if you want something simple that just plain works. Android is if you like to make your phone your own!

I will be flashing more, currently I'm just satisfied with liberty:)

TiBu is something I will consider getting, I just don't mind starting from scratch though every time I flash one.

I'm Liberated.

ChoKeChaiN
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Eventually that gets old though lol, especially once you get addicted and flash something new every other week/day...lmao