PDA

View Full Version : Lost access to CWR on GB, but not Froyo

rudyy
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Underlying problem: cannot get into ClockworkModRecovery, and when I can, I cannot flash or restore. (I have never been able to get into CWR from power off, and I've tried how ever many methods I've found.)

Background: I've flashed about a dozen ROMs, from Liberty 1.5 to Drew Garen ROMs, Mobile_Sensei, Rubix, Sturdy Click Syndicate, Liquid Smooth and MIUI, with no previous problems.
I was running MIUI 1.12.9 when I decided to flash the latest release, 1.12.30, on top of it. I wiped caches, but not data. It didn't take. Upon reboot, it said I was on 1.12.9.
So I decided to restore to a non-MIUI ROM (VorteX RC1) and then flash MIUI 1.12.30.
I wiped caches and data. VorteX loaded fine, but I could not get back into CWR; not by using an early version (green letters), not with Droid X Bootstrap, not with D2 BS, not with updated CWR from ROM Manager (blue letters), not with Root Tools, ROM Toolbox. (Debugging was deselected for DX, but selected for D2 bootstrap, attempts.)

So I SBF'd using 1KDS Linux disc on Windows Vista 32 bit laptop, which I'd used 3 times before successfully.

I mistakenly tried (more than once) to go from Froyo straight to a Gingerbread ROM before I realized I had to first flash a GB build with the GB kernel.

Once I realized my mistake, I SBF'd, rooted using Z4 Root, installed DX Bootstrap, and flashed Team Black Hat's Gingerbread 605_Deodexed_Accurate_Battery-AIO. It loaded fine, but again, I could not get into CWR to restore to MIUI (my ultimate goal).

So I SBF'd several more times, trying various versions of CWR: nothing. I even flashed TBH's ROM_596_TBH_Deodexed, to see if I needed a different path back to MIUI, but 596 did not load. (All I got was the boot logo, which would flash slowly.)

Current status: I can get into CWR in Froyo, and right now the DX sits on Froyo, DarkSlide 4.2. I was also able to make a nandroid this morning.

Anybody familiar with this, and have a solution?
Thanks in advance, rudyy

edit: signature line is wrong. I'm not on CM7, but that's another ROM I've been on

adamwhitehead
01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Did you flash the Droid x Option from cwmr or Droid x 2nd-init? When you couldn't get it to work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

fnmetal
01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Use the gb .602 sbf and 1-click root.. the issue is most likely the tbh prerooted aio updater.

rudyy
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Did you flash the Droid x Option from cwmr or Droid x 2nd-init? When you couldn't get it to work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

I tried both, and more. DX bootstrap, D2 BS, and 2nd init. I numerous because I figured I couldn't make things any worse.

Use the gb .602 sbf and 1-click root.. the issue is most likely the tbh prerooted aio updater.

This I have not tried, but I will. Thanks.

MICHO
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

1kds just dropped the new ISO that has 602 and root methods all in one disk! http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
Get cha some!

rudyy
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Tried 602, but the phone got stuck on boot logo.
SBF'd again, and now it only takes me to the activate-the-phone window, but when the phone calls *228 the phone won't activate.
When I boot the phone into stock recovery and wipe cache and data, and then reboot, I'm again taken to the activate window.
Hate to say it, but I think it's done.

rudyy
01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
1kds just dropped the new ISO that has 602 and root methods all in one disk! http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
Get cha some!

Hey Micho, I'm confused on one thing on that linked page, is the iso file that has the word "root" in it the only one that can be rooted? tia, ry

edit: or does SBFing with that file SBF and root the phone?

rudyy
01-09-2012, 12:51 AM
OK, I tried the 602 (non-root) iso, it looks like it took but it forces me to activate the phone, and the phone will not activate. (I'm told to call a toll-free number from a land line. I don't really want to activate the phone anyway. Right now I have a backup phone running. I just want to get the DX working before I trust it with my phone number.)
Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions.

rudyy
01-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Had given up hope when for some reason I recalled that tapping the corners would get one past something (I didn't remember what) but it got me past the activate screen, and the phone is on gingerbread 2.3.3.
So hope has been restored, now maybe the phone can at least be left in a useable state, even if I can no longer access Clockwork.
Again, thanks for everybody's interest and help. ry