PDA

View Full Version : Contacts stuck in Droid X Stuck on Motorola Logo

bsamuels22
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Hello RS!
I'm in a bit of a pickle...
I've got a Droid X that is over a year old. Two days ago, the back button stopped working. That night, the phone shut down and would not come back on. It is stuck on the red Motorola logo that shows up during boot sequence. I have tried all of the tool tips I found online to resolve this, but to no avail. Of course, Verizon has this incredible backup assistant that should have backed up all of my contacts, if I would have actually configured it to back up. However, without any warnings or alerts, I never backed anything up. :crazy:

Now, all of my contacts are stored on my crapped-out Droid and I have no way to get anything out! Is there any way to recover my information? I did have insurance on the phone, so I have a replacement - I just can't figure out how to get the information off of the old device, and onto the new one.

Please help!

juhde
01-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Was the old phone synced with a gmail account

Sent from my Android device.

bsamuels22
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
no, had g-mobile suite, but doesn't appear that my contacts were being synched w/ gmail contacts...

juhde
01-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Well, you could try wiping the cache and see if it will boot up but if you cant get it to boot and you had no off site backup I don't think there is much you can do.

I recommend always syncing your contacts to gmail in the future, as they would automatically sync with any change/addition to your contacts and any new device associated with that account will also automatically have all the contacts added.

bsamuels22
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
yes, thanks. that is good advice! :-)
if i wipe the cache, will the contacts that were saved locally be gone? is it possible that all of this stuff was stored on my SD card?

juhde
01-05-2012, 07:06 PM
yes, thanks. that is good advice! :-)
if i wipe the cache, will the contacts that were saved locally be gone? is it possible that all of this stuff was stored on my SD card?

boot into the system recovery by holding home + power, keep holding home until an ! comes up, press "Search", browse to "wipe cache" and perform it.

A cache wipe won't affect any data, a factory reset will. Likely if you factory reset the phone will boot normally but you'll lose all data, including contacts. Sooooo your only option is wipe the cache, hope it boots.

The only way your contacts would be in the sdcard is if you exported them yourself. For future reference, open contacts, press "menu button" select import/export.

Once you have the cvs file in your sdcard you can import them the same way to another phone or to gmail through a computer.

bsamuels22
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I've tried getting the "!" to come up, but it never does. How long do i need to hold the two buttons down for?

juhde
01-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Home first, then power, once the screen turns on you can release power. Home is the important one.

juhde
01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
If you can't get to recovery you're likely not going to recover your contacts, you can probably fix the phone with a sbf though.