PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Wireless To Start Charging $2 Convenience Fee Starting January 15

wicked
12-29-2011, 12:28 AM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/article/verizon-4g-lte-expensive-550x291.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before I begin, I just want to say please, keep things civil in this thread. :D

According to an internal document obtained by Droid-Life, Verizon Wireless plans to star charging customers an additional $2 “convenience fee” for paying their cellphone bill whether online and/or through the phone.

http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/article/verizon-2-fee1-550x416.jpg

http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/article/verizon-2-fee3-550x232.jpg

The $2.00 fee doesn’t start until January 15th and according to Verizon Wireless, customers will be warned before the fee is assessed and given other payment options to avoid the $2.00 charge. If you don’t want to pay it you can use these other payment channels:

ACH (electronic check)
Pre-enrollment APO (Autopay)
Online from customer’s home banking service provider (online bill pay through your bank)
In-store using My Verizon Express, BPK or a store representative
VZW gift card, rebate card and friends and family referral rewards card
Paper checks and money orders mailed to Verizon Wireless remit address via USPS

How are all you taking this news? Is $2 a month — $24 a year — a small price to pay for good coverage and 4G LTE (when it’s working) :palm:. Or will this be the final straw sending you to more affordable carriers with possibly less coverage?

Source: Droid Forums (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/190878-verizon-wireless-start-charging-2-convenience-fee-starting-january-15-a.html#post1942518) via Droid-Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/28/verizon-to-charge-customers-2-fee-when-paying-bills-online-starting-january-15/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+(droid+life)&utm_content=Google+Reader)

DirtyDroid
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
This doesn't surprise me....I just got a statement from two different bills I pay also charging additional costs...less than $3....in all fairness...I do like how they still give the option to avoid it though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mugz91
12-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Seeing as how I don't have 4G coverage and the 3G is fairly spotty, I don't like it one little bit. This is definitely another point in favor of throwing my business to another carrier. 'nuff said.

Leach19m
12-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Verizon Verizon Verizon...incapable of going one quarter without finding a new way to reach just a wee bit deeper into its customers pockets. Surprised, no. Annoyed, yes. Going to do anything about it, probably not.

DirtyDroid
12-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Surprised, no. Annoyed, yes. Going to do anything about it, probably not.

That's my problem up here over there in the sticks......its big red or at&t....and at&t doest cover nearly as well...so um stuck for the time being......auto pay here I come lol

stewie griffin
12-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Verizon Verizon Verizon...incapable of going one quarter without finding a new way to reach just a wee bit deeper into its customers pockets. Surprised, no. Annoyed, yes. Going to do anything about it, probably not.

Awe, don't be so hard on poor Verizon (sarcasm) they're just taking after the government in finding new ways to get into our wallets :-( all my bills are on auto pay anyway, so I guess vzw will find another way to charge me more

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gunner1982
12-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Well in all fairness they do have to make up for all the extra work they have been doing to the network every time it goes down ...hmmm it is my thought that as fast as they are adding all these new cities its causing too much stress on the network maybe if they just slowed down a bit it might take the extra stress down

gbrinn
12-29-2011, 09:26 AM

That's my problem up here over there in the sticks......its big red or at&t....and at&t doest cover nearly as well...so um stuck for the time being......

This ^. I'm not "in the sticks" as there's also Sprint and T-Mobile here (and US Cellular) but their coverage is so spotty (or shoddy, in the case of Deathstar) that they may as well NOT be here.

jwalz
12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
So the way im understanding is if you just set up auto payment through your bank then your in the clear.. I set it up so now ill be saving on the $2 and the 30some odd cents a stamp costs... all banking online the way to go save yourself money

you have to eat dirt before you can grow

popcenator
12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Great googly moogly...what next VZ...what next

gbrinn
12-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I've been paying mine at the store's payment kiosk whenever I happen to be out and about.

eric eakin
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
What is so convenient about that?!?!?!?!:mad:

Welfarebob
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
sorry but for me to make my payment through a computer on their website doesn't cost them nearly 2 dollars to process... Grrr glad I don't work for them lol one of the reasons I no longer work as a csr for at&t is because I.voiced my opinion to them charging 5 dollars to have customers pay their bills through me... And I never charged it lol got many stern warnings but nothing they could really do because I always labelled it as a customer courtesy ;)

sent from my green tap a talkI

cory46
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
What is so convenient about that?!?!?!?!:mad:

< sarcasm >

Well you made it more convenient for them so they want to "thank you" by charging in turn you'll get better service like the no data outages
</ sarcasm ;) >

gbrinn
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
They probably got stopped from collecting some fee elsewhere and to make up for lost revenue, they hit you where they can.

savagerun
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
They probably got stopped from collecting some fee elsewhere and to make up for lost revenue, they hit you where they can.

That's how it works. Whenever i hear about new regulations against big corporations that's supposed to protect the little guy i laugh because any loss a company is forced to take it passes it on to the little guy. So in essence you can't hurt the big guy because the little guy pays for it in the end. The rich don't get rich by being stupid, they got the game perfected. And im not beating up on the rich. I never got a job from a poor person so thank God for the rich lol...

Lane W
12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Verizon's $2 convenience fee inconveniences the FCC [/URL] [URL="http://www.engadget.com/editor/zach-honig/rss.xml"]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/writer_rss.gif (http://www.engadget.com/editor/zach-honig) posted Dec 30th 2011 2:12PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/12/eng-verizon-bucks.jpg (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/30/verizons-2-convenience-fee-inconveniences-the-fcc/)
Just like hard working humans, giant companies like to get paid consistently and on time for services rendered. But Verizon's method for motivating customers to pay up -- in the form of a $2 convenience fee (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/29/leaked-memo-details-verizons-2-fee-for-paying-your-bill-autod/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter) -- isn't sitting so well with consumers, or the FCC. A Federal Communications Commission official confirmed that the fee hasn't gone unnoticed, saying "on behalf of American consumers, we're concerned about Verizon's actions and are looking into the matter." The $2 "payment convenience fee" is scheduled to hit consumers beginning on January 15th, but if the FCC (http://www.engadget.com/tag/FCC/) doesn't step in before then, you can still skip the toll by signing up for AutoPay, or making your way to a different carrier.

Source: Verizon's $2 convenience fee inconveniences the FCC -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/30/verizons-2-convenience-fee-inconveniences-the-fcc/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter)

Leach19m
12-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Way to go FCC!

eric eakin
12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
good to hear the above post!!!

jayc2640
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Just read on Fox News that the FCC is going to investigate this "convenience" fee.

cory46
12-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Just read on Fox News that the FCC is going to investigate this "convenience" fee.

It's already been dropped http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/30/breaking-verizon-cancels-2-convenience-fee/

gbrinn
12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Beaten to the punch by Cory. From Verizon's web site: Verizon Wireless Will Not Institute Single Payment Fee (http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/12/pr2011-12-30.html)

Talon66721
12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Glad this happened, but it's because of the FCC and Fox blaring it over the air. They can say they listened to the customers, but we know better. If they did that, they would unlock the bootloader for us! They tried to sneak this in on us, and they got caught up on it. How long before they try it again?

eric eakin
12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
still just find it amusing that there is a fee to pay our monthly fee!:crazy:

savagerun
12-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Like Talon asked how long before they try this again. You notice in the last paragraph the CEO Dan Mead says the fee will not be implemented "at this time". They were banking on getting this money but they took a very stupid approach at doing it. It's like a chess game to these guys now they have to let the dust settle while they try a different strategy. They never quite. At least the scoundrels got pushed back for now.

Talon66721
12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
still just find it amusing that there is a fee to pay our monthly fee!:crazy:

My girl has Cricket and they've charged $3 to pay cash in the store forever. Like you, I could never fathom how they sleep at night when they charge you extra to pay your bill? Really makes a person want to pay it when they have to pay just to pay, you know? Pathetic that the government let's them get away with raping people like that.

Newber
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank the good god above for social media

Seamore5
12-31-2011, 06:54 AM
They are the biggest cell phone com. around.. If I say what i feel on this forum i would surely be kicked off or banned.. so ill keep this matter to myself and maybe let my wife hear me.. and im sure she would tell me to leave it alone... so there you have it verizion ill just keep it to myself you %&^$&$&^^^&&^$^&&^&*%*&%*%%^ butt heads....

DirtyDroid
12-31-2011, 07:01 AM
My girl has Cricket and they've charged $3 to pay cash in the store forever. Like you, I could never fathom how they sleep at night when they charge you extra to pay your bill? Really makes a person want to pay it when they have to pay just to pay, you know? Pathetic that the government let's them get away with raping people like that.

Up where I live we have "authorized " Verizon retailers....when I first got my phone...I went into the store to pay it..they wanted an extra $5 to pay it there..needless to say I downloaded the app...payed it on the phone and walked out of the store

Irontyke
12-31-2011, 07:11 AM
It's ok for a while, they backed off on the $2 charge. The public outcry was too much.

naidanirt
12-31-2011, 07:36 AM
verizon is always going to find a way to make money.
im pretty sure if someone made and sold pre-rooted phones as their brand ( a complete new line of phones ) verizon would scream "BLASPHEMY" and slam the door in their face.

olga
12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
It is an inconvenience, yes. They want to take control of you bill payment. They give you an option to get out of this fee, which is respectable. Anyhow, we are stock in the contract and which provider is better? I don't think bill payment option will cause people to drop vzw.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

hillbilliegreg
12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
It's ok for a while, they backed off on the $2 charge. The public outcry was too much.
Exactly, the fcc didn't scare verizon, verizon has congress in their backpocket, they fight with the fcc daily, but the people they don't own, the same people that brought godaddy to their knees this week, you and I.

ryant35
12-31-2011, 10:54 AM
This isn't the first time something new from VZW was leaked and people went crazy about it before they put out a statement saying it won't happen. I wonder if this is their way of testing the waters for stuff like this.

The Orange County, CA court system charges $6.50 "convenience" fee to pay fees online. You would think I am conveniencing them by not mailing a check that they have to pay someone to process.

Talon66721
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Up where I live we have "authorized " Verizon retailers....when I first got my phone...I went into the store to pay it..they wanted an extra $5 to pay it there..needless to say I downloaded the app...payed it on the phone and walked out of the store

+1
Still trying to figure out how they can say charging more is helpful. Oh, wait, that's right: helpful in increasing profits. She has the same unlimited everything as I do for a third of my bill. I just get better coverage is about all for it, too.

dxlvr
01-09-2012, 01:09 PM
This is what we get for being loyal customers. :mad2: I am convinced that verizon wants everyone to use autopay so they can sneak in a dollar or two extra for themselves. How many times have you forgot to look at your statement only to find that there are mysterious charges on there? That is how they make money.

P.S. Doesn't anyone remember when we used to have to pay a fee for paper statements? And now they want to charge us for a convenience? For who...us or them??? Pretty greedy! :shocked:

macpro88
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
In case anyone hasn't found out yet, but VZW dropped this, almost 24 hours after they had announced this. Too many customers called in too quickly and complained, and they are NO LONGER going to charge us for this.

eric eakin
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
In case anyone hasn't found out yet, but VZW dropped this, almost 24 hours after they had announced this. Too many customers called in too quickly and complained, and they are NO LONGER going to charge us for this.

...yet.:thinking:

2betrash
01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
them people, they get plenty of money, and they don't spend it on things they say they do, in VA we are supposed to have 4G, there is no true 4G LTE here, anyone who has 4G can turn it on and see what happens, run a test or what have you. And they change the data plans and charge more for the same 3G that everyone else has.

noXcuse
01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
them people, they get plenty of money, and they don't spend it on things they say they do, in VA we are supposed to have 4G, there is no true 4G LTE here, anyone who has 4G can turn it on and see what happens, run a test or what have you. And they change the data plans and charge more for the same 3G that everyone else has.

Where are you in VA? We have LTE here in Hampton Roads.

Lane W
01-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Maybe you should talk to Vzw about this recent news & they allocate their funds more appropriately within the VA state lines :confused:

In preparation for Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis, Verizon spent upwards of $69 million to take its 4G LTE network to the next level. Knowing that some 85,000+ fanatics would be in attendance along with countless media members all starving for a stable data connection, Big Red wanted to make sure your experience at the game and in downtown Indy was optimal.

Nine (9) new antennas have been added to the outside of the stadium along with a massive internal 3G/4G network and a full WiFi infrastructure that allows for 28,000 connections. They also plan to have 3 C.O.W.s (cell on wheels) on hand to help beef things up even more.

Source: Verizon Spends $69 million to Beef Up Its 4G LTE Network, Making the Super Bowl XLVI Experience Enjoyable – Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/23/headed-to-super-bowl-xlvi/)

2betrash
01-24-2012, 12:27 AM
https://community.verizonwireless.com/polls/1003

Bullshaz
01-30-2012, 03:02 AM
This is one of those things that I will just accept, but mainly because I have otherwise had a great experience with Verizon. Also because until my current contract maintains the $20 unlimited data plan. I'll have some things to consider when my plan is up, however.

Edit: And it appears I will have one less thing to consider as they had already dropped this plan before I posted. :)

Leach19m
01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
There is nothing to accept currently. They aren't charging this fee anymore