PDA

View Full Version : Droid X Froyo Update Leaked

Pages : [1] 2

danDroid
08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.droidforums.net/img/mot-droidx-froyo.jpg

As promised yesterday, P3Droid and MyDroidWorld.com have released an un-official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motorola Droid X! This is a leaked OTA upgrade in the update.zip format. This is not a ROM or a port. This will upgrade both your baseband and your system.

For installation instructions, please check out this thread: MyDroidWorld Exlusive: Droid X Froyo for Everyone including non rooted phones (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/4112-mydroidworld-exlusive-droid-x-froyo-everyone-including-non-rooted-phones.html)

Non-Rooted Update:
Link Removed

Rooted Update:
Link Removed

Here's a quick overview of the Android 2.2 Features:

2 to 3 times improvement in JavaScript.
2 to 5 times better performance of Android on the same hardware!
USB and Wi-Fi Internet Tethering.
Microsoft Exchange integration including auto-discovery and remote wipe
New services just as data backup APIs for carriers to move your data from one device to another
New and improved browser.
Compass support for Google Maps in the browser, no need to launch the Maps app anymore for compass support.
Improved Google Voice Search, recognizes long and complicated sentences easily.
Full Flash support in the web browser!
Real-time language translation!
V8 Codec support, a new standard for online media by Google.
A widget that helps you search your Android device, apps for market and much more!
Ability to search within app data.
Improved crash reporting to developers.
Over the air application downloading via non-mobile store version from any PC on to your device.
Streaming your non-DRM home music library straight onto your Android device.
Purchase your music over the air from a non mobile destination right onto your device.
Install apps on your SD-card, finally it’s here!
Auto-update apps!
Car Docking!
An improved Android market, buy your apps and games from the web Android Market and send them straight to your phone.
Use voice gestures to trigger app

And go on over and tell the hardworking leak crew thanks. Thank You Thread (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/4112-mydroidworld-exlusive-droid-x-froyo-everyone-including-non-rooted-phones.html)

(We are still working on updating the post, so please have some patience with us! As always, remember there is risk involved when modding your phone. DroidForums.net / MyDroidWorld.com is not liable for any damage. Note: This is not the official update from Verizon / Motorola, but about as close as you can get right now!)
(http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/content/731-mydroidworld-exlusive-droid-x-froyo-everyone-including-non-rooted-phones.html)

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
If we have the clockworkmod recovery that came out yesterday, how do we get that off in order to upgrade?

eljoker
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Will updating to this cause us to not OTA to the offical?

hollovoid7
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I am pretty impressed so far! Scrolling is not nearly as choppy, and the app drawer is muuuch smoother as well, feels like its running pretty well so far! I am just wondering if the phone will still update to the official when it comes out or do we have to load it manually?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
@droidemperor-you must do a .sbf restore, if not you will get a error 7(logwrapper) when installing the update.zip (2.2)

MrSniffles69
08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey guys,

I have been debating on installing this or not Just a few questions hoping some one can help me out on??

If I download this will I lose all the stuff that I already have on my phones such as contacts apss and pictures and stuff..

Also if this is isntalled do I lose OTA update the official one when it comes out

And last is this hard to install is there anything special you have to know about hacking or software programs and such......and is there any chance of messing up your phone

thanks for all the help!!!

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,

I have been debating on installing this or not Just a few questions hoping some one can help me out on??

If I download this will I lose all the stuff that I already have on my phones such as contacts apss and pictures and stuff..

Also if this is isntalled do I lose OTA update the official one when it comes out

And last is this hard to install is there anything special you have to know about hacking or software programs and such......and is there any chance of messing up your phone

thanks for all the help!!!

you should not lose anything..im istalling it as we speak, i just did a sbf restore because i used the bootstrapper yesterday and it left all my apps, contacts etc on the phone.

OTA i am not sure about but with experience from my d1 i would say you would still get the ota update when it comes out if it is a different version***i am not positive on this

no hacking programs needed, if you want to have root after 2.2 is flashed you must already have it on 2.1 prior to the update, in addition the su file must be moved from bin to xbin in the system (this is done with rootexplorer) see mydroidworld for the full instructions

**just finished, all contacts, apps etc are still there

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
@droidemperor-you must do a .sbf restore, if not you will get a error 7(logwrapper) when installing the update.zip (2.2)

Thanks. I am doing an SBF restore as we speak. Taking forever! Will keep you posted.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks. I am doing an SBF restore as we speak. Taking forever! Will keep you posted.

No prob..mine took forever too lol..suprisingly it kept all the apps and everything on the phone

medicscott
08-20-2010, 10:23 AM
how do you do a stock recovery? looks like they are having problems with that kouch recovery...

bozidar0
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
This worked so well! YAY FLASHHHHHHHH

eljoker
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
androidcentral is saying you have to go back to 2.1 for the OTA so idk

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
@medicscott-Hold the home button when booting up,when the triangle appears hit the search button..it will not work if u have used koush's recovery, u must .sbf restore first

Sent from my FroYo DROID X using Tapatalk

omnicious
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
So if Verizon requires us to go back to 2.1 to get the OTA 2.2 update can a SBF flash get us back to 2.1?

sb5551
08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Only a 1366 Quadrant score?

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
No prob..mine took forever too lol..suprisingly it kept all the apps and everything on the phone

Mine kept all the files and settings also!!! I just re-rooted and now I am running update.zip. Will hopefully have Froyo in a minute!!

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Only a 1366 Quadrant score?

I only get 1304 :/ oh well at least we have flash lol

sb5551
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I only get 1304 :/ oh well at least we have flash lol

I just ran it again and got 890. Mine phone is laggy as heck.

daroga
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Can anyone post the directions to install the non-rooted version? MDW is getting hammered and the pages aren't loading. :)

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Can anyone post the directions to install the non-rooted version? MDW is getting hammered and the pages aren't loading. :)

Download the update.zip, place in the root of your sd card, reboot and hold the home key, when the triangle appears hit the search key, click apply zip:update.zip

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Mine kept all the files and settings also!!! I just re-rooted and now I am running update.zip. Will hopefully have Froyo in a minute!!

So after update.zip finished and it rebooted, it got stuck on the Motorola logo for a few minutes. I pulled the battery and powered on and it's still stuck on the logo.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
So after update.zip finished and it rebooted, it got stuck on the Motorola logo for a few minutes. I pulled the battery and powered on and it's still stuck on the logo.

No errors when running the update.zip?

daroga
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
In the triangle screen, when I hit the search button it says at the bottom, "E: can't open /cache/recovery/command" Is this normal or should I just not update at this time and wait for the OTA?

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
No errors when running the update.zip?

Right. No errors when running update.zip. I'm now running RSD Lite and trying to SBF and it's not finding device. Stuck on Motorola logo. Hmm this isn't good. Also, I've noticed in some directions it says to move the SU file and in others to copy. I followed the ones to move Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" so maybe that messed it up?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
In the triangle screen, when I hit the search button it says at the bottom, "E: can't open /cache/recovery/command" Is this normal or should I just not update at this time and wait for the OTA?

Not normal...did u use koush's bootstrapper?..thats the only thing I could think of that would really cause it, even tho I didn't get that message

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Right. No errors when running update.zip. I'm now running RSD Lite and trying to SBF and it's not finding device. Stuck on Motorola logo. Hmm this isn't good. Also, I've noticed in some directions it says to move the SU file and in others to copy. I followed the ones to move Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" so maybe that messed it up?

Shut off the phone, start rsd, boot the phone into the bootloader then plug the usb in, also remember if you are using windows vista or 7 to start rsd in administrator mode..unused file explorer to move my SU file

daroga
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Nope, my phone is stock save for apps I've gotten from the market and using LauncherPro Plus instead of the stock loader. Hmm, any thoughts?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Nope, my phone is stock save for apps I've gotten from the market and using LauncherPro Plus instead of the stock loader. Hmm, any thoughts?

Your phone isn't plugged into the computer or anything is it?

sphen22
08-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Giggity.. flash giggity

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Shut off the phone, start rsd, boot the phone into the bootloader then plug the usb in, also remember if you are using windows vista or 7 to start rsd in administrator mode..unused file explorer to move my SU file

When I boot the phone I can't even get into bootloader by holding down the home button. It's just stuck on the Motorola logo.

drew823
08-20-2010, 11:11 AM
ok so i flashed and everything worked but now my phone freezes with 5-10 mins

Irish Cream
08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Update went fine for me... moved the SU to XBIN... ROOTEXPLORER IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

makes it so much easier to follow instructions like these

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Giggity.. flash giggity

Hahaha and it runs waaayyy smoother than on the d1

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
ok so i flashed and everything worked but now my phone freezes with 5-10 mins

Let it finish updating itself..mine ran stupid slow and froze a few times..now it runs fine again

sb5551
08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Let it finish updating itself..mine ran stupid slow and froze a few times..now it runs fine again

I second this I ran a Quadrant and got 890, so I let it sit for a little and got 1463.

daroga
08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Your phone isn't plugged into the computer or anything is it?Hmm, it was, but even booting into that without being plugged into the computer (just the charger), or just being unhooked completely I still get the same message.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Hmm, it was, but even booting into that without being plugged into the computer (just the charger), or just being unhooked completely I still get the same message.

That's odd..im not sure what to tell u than u could try a sbf restore and do it again

spyder560
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
hmm....the link to the instructions on page 1 is not working

drew823
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I second this I ran a Quadrant and got 890, so I let it sit for a little and got 1463.

Yeah let chill for a while and it seems like it is running fine now! Now that this is over time to head to the beach for my vaca.

hollovoid7
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Anyone else seeing how much smoother this runs overall? I didn't notice much application speed change because that was never slow before but the scrolling and transition animations are close to butter

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone else seeing how much smoother this runs overall? I didn't notice much application speed change because that was never slow before but the scrolling and transition animations are close to butter

I second that..it does seem much smoother..not worried about app speed..like u said it was always fast..but to me the phone feels even more solid than before

TerraDactyl
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
This is freaking AWWWWWWW Some!:lol1:

eljoker
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I want to do it but i dont want to risk the offical OTA not working. Ahh when i was with my droid i wouldnt mine loading ups RSD and doing ths SBF but i feel paranoid now with the DX.

sphen22
08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
The sywpe keyboard is different! I thought there was a problem because it looked like the multi touch keyboard at first.

steve500
08-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Will I still be a Root user after the update? I'm rooted on the lasted OTA 2.1 right now. Are there any special steps I have to take after the update.zip to maintain root?

thanks guys, this is excellent.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I want to do it but i dont want to risk the offical OTA not working. Ahh when i was with my droid i wouldnt mine loading ups RSD and doing ths SBF but i feel paranoid now with the DX.

Lol I was paranoid using rsd on the x also...but it seems to work better than the d1..not losing all your all and settings is awesome

bozidar0
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Will I still be a Root user after the update? I'm rooted on the lasted OTA 2.1 right now. Are there any special steps I have to take after the update.zip to maintain root?

The correct procedure for maintaining root is here, but it's currently down:

Link Removed

airgreek
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Was your rooted on non rooted? Mine is not rooted and I am debating on doing the update

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

To keep root when updating to 2.2 using p3's leak u must go into root open root explorer, the pick system, bin find your SU file pick and hold it, select move, hit the back button and navigate to xbin and hit move..all done, you will now keep root

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=bozidar0;38256]The correct procedure for maintaining root is here, but it's currently down:

Link Removed

Link doesn't work..prolly cause mdw is going through ddos attacks again

anomaly
08-20-2010, 11:47 AM
can some one with 2.2 loaded do a few runs in Linpack?

the quadrant scores seem to be off or something. 100pts. avg. increase seems a bit low.

i get 1300-1500 with my OG droid on 2.2 w/ 1.2Ghz OC, the DX should be scoreing much higher than that... i hope?

thanks for any replies.

SmokeyBear911
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Worked like a champ here... Uninstalled Launcher Pro, since the D1 users were told there was issues.. installed.. rebooted and love it.. will reinstall launcherpro now...

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Was your rooted on non rooted? Mine is not rooted and I am debating on doing the update

i was rooted

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:54 AM
can some one with 2.2 loaded do a few runs in Linpack?

the quadrant scores seem to be off or something. 100pts. avg. increase seems a bit low.

i get 1300-1500 with my OG droid on 2.2 w/ 1.2Ghz OC, the DX should be scoreing much higher than that... i hope?

thanks for any replies.

Im only getting 14s in linpack and high 13s to low 14s in quadrant..rather disappointing..but oh well.it will work for now lol

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Worked like a champ here... Uninstalled Launcher Pro, since the D1 users were told there was issues.. installed.. rebooted and love it.. will reinstall launcherpro now...

I did the same thing..launcher pro works like a champ..iv had no redraw like I did in the d1

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Same here. Stuck on the Motorola "M" logo. This was on an unrooted 2.1. Factory fresh phone, too.

Any ideas???

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Same here. Stuck on the Motorola "M" logo. This was on an unrooted 2.1. Factory fresh phone, too.

Any ideas???

Try booting into the recovery and wiping the cache

spyder560
08-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Those with audio/volume issues....do you notice a difference? I didn't see this on the list of fixes.

Also, I noticed the list mentioned Tethering. But we had that before...what's the upgrade?

bozidar0
08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I got a 1440 with the DX running 2.2.........

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I also have had "no errors when running update.zip. I'm now running RSD Lite and trying to SBF and it's not finding device. Stuck on Motorola logo." Any help would be appreciated. Thanx guys. BTW I am using windows 7 and using the rsd lite program with admin rights.

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 12:35 PM
How? It's stuck on the M-logo. If I take out the battery, put the battery back in, hold HOME,then turn the phone on, I never get that yellow question mark.

Any other ideas??? This is not looking good...

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 12:38 PM
How? It's stuck on the M-logo. If I take out the battery, put the battery back in, hold HOME,then turn the phone on, I never get that yellow question mark.

Can u get into the bootloader?

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I also have had "no errors when running update.zip. I'm now running RSD Lite and trying to SBF and it's not finding device. Stuck on Motorola logo." Any help would be appreciated. Thanx guys. BTW I am using windows 7 and using the rsd lite program with admin rights.

same here! still stuck. this is driving me crazy!! I read (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/4215-adb-not-working-after-froyo.html) that ADB doesn't work after installing Froyo and different drivers are needed. Might this explain why Windows 7 isn't recognizing the device? I can get the SD card mounted, but I can't get ADB or RSD Lite to recognize the device. Would zipping the SBF file and renaming it update.zip and then running from recovery do any good or would it not do anything?

arg1980
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Anyone update successfully, but flash doesn't work? I've used DolphinHD and the stock browser at Hulu and metacafe without any success. Phone info says it's running Android version 2.2 (not 2.2.6), so I'm a little confused.

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm in the same boat. The good news is you CAN get into bootloader. Take out your battery and put it back in. Leave the phone off for about 5 minutes. Then hold the Home button and power on and you will get into recovery.

anomaly
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Im only getting 14s in linpack and high 13s to low 14s in quadrant..rather disappointing..but oh well.it will work for now lol

thank for your reply.

Man... that just doesn't seem right... doesn't the Nexus 1 get like 30-40 in Linpack with 2.2 and a less efficient 1ghz CPU?

maybe the leak is bunk? :confused:

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Can u get into the bootloader?

How? By holding the camera button and pressing the power button? Nope...

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm in the same boat. The good news is you CAN get into bootloader. Take out your battery and put it back in. Leave the phone off for about 5 minutes. Then hold the Home button and power on and you will get into recovery.

This isn't working for me...

Jaxidian
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Anyone update successfully, but flash doesn't work? I've used DolphinHD and the stock browser at Hulu and metacafe without any success. Phone info says it's running Android version 2.2 (not 2.2.6), so I'm a little confused.

I believe Hulu tries to disable their videos on mobile devices. I'm not sure how. I just finished updating and am booting up for the first time - I'll let you know what I see. (I'm at the red eye now - not stuck at an (M) screen, luckily!)

phimuskapsi
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
It's Home + Volume Down + Power.

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

That worked for me but from there I'm stuck. I can't get into the sd card and RSD does not find my device. Not sure where to go from here.

How? By holding the camera button and pressing the power button? Nope...

No, not the camera button but holding both the home button and the power button.

gergs
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Just completed the upgrade! Flash is great! My X is stock with no real mods. Updated in less than 5 mins. Kickass! ;)

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
It's Home + Volume Down + Power.

You're a godsend! Got into the recovery menu. I have 3 options:
1) reboot system now
2) apply sdcard:update.zip
3) wipe data/factory reset
4) wipe cache partition

I have an error at the bottom, however.
"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

Like I said before, this was a factory fresh phone. Nothing on it.

What should I do now?

Thanks!!!

SoundQcar
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
With all the issues some of you are having, I think I'll wait for the OTA. I'm not that phone savvy, and don't want to get into a situation I won't be able to extract myself from. ;)

EDIT: I am not rooted or modded in any way. Is anyone in the same boat still having issues?

Jaxidian
08-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah, flash is working for me but Hulu is blocking it somehow. I'm sure we'll have a hack at some point to get around that.

arg1980
08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I can't get flash to work with anything. Just to double check, what website(s) are working for you? Thanks

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
That worked for me but from there I'm stuck. I can't get into the sd card and RSD does not find my device. Not sure where to go from here.

I can't get my phone to mount from recovery. However, when it is stuck on the M logo, if you put the USB charger into the computer it should mount after 3-5 minutes and you should have SD card access. I still can't get ADB or RSD Lite to recognize the device (I think we need updated drivers) so I am at a loss of what to do. If there was some sort of zip file that we could run from recovery to get out of this that may be the only hope, no?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, flash is working for me but Hulu is blocking it somehow. I'm sure we'll have a hack at some point to get around that.

Hulu has always blocked android phones

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I can't get my phone to mount from recovery. However, when it is stuck on the M logo, if you put the USB charger into the computer it should mount after 3-5 minutes and you should have SD card access. I still can't get ADB or RSD Lite to recognize the device (I think we need updated drivers) so I am at a loss of what to do. If there was some sort of zip file that we could run from recovery to get out of this that may be the only hope, no?

Windows automatically updated all my drivers, unplugged the phone, restarted rsd and it found it no problems

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I would think so.

Do you have an sbf for the droid X? If so, can you PM me a link -- or just PM me and I'll give you my email address. Even If I get RSD working, I'm going to need that 2.1 sbf, right?

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I hope so because I have tried everything in my power so far to unbrick this thing with no lock. Please keep me posted if you find any info and I will do the same.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I would think so.

Do you have an sbf for the droid X? If so, can you PM me a link -- or just PM me and I'll give you my email address. Even If I get RSD working, I'm going to need that 2.1 sbf, right?

Link Removed

Scroll down and u will find the sbf files and instructions

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Windows automatically updated all my drivers, unplugged the phone, restarted rsd and it found it no problems

What drivers are you using? ADB or just the windows drivers? I got mine to connect to the PC now, and it installed a "Motorola MB810 USB Device"

RSD still doesn't find my phone. I'm running Win7-64, and RSD in Administrator mode.

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Link Removed

Scroll down and u will find the sbf files and instructions

This download no longer contains the SBF as they received a C&D letter from Motorola.

If anyone has the SBF, can you please PM me a link?

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Quick question: While attempting to move the Update.zip, i am being told that the SD card is write protected. The only way I can get the SDcard to show up on the PC is to use the USB MAss Storage. However, I noticed that while using the USB mass storage I have no option to "Unmount" in the SD settings area, leading me to believe that it is not mounted while in the USB storage mode. Any help is appreciated.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:10 PM
What drivers are you using? ADB or just the windows drivers? I got mine to connect to the PC now, and it installed a "Motorola MB810 USB Device"

RSD still doesn't find my phone. I'm running Win7-64, and RSD in Administrator mode.

I originally had the moto drivers already, when I put rsd lite on a while ago I also installed the drivers from there..im running win 7 32 bit on my netbook, follow the directions on that link it has any drivers u will need if windows dies not update the drivers in it's own

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
i'm using the Moto USB drivers (64bit)

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
This download no longer contains the SBF as they received a C&D letter from Motorola.

If anyone has the SBF, can you please PM me a link?

Everything is still there...its on media fire...when u download it, it is called" the_gift"

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Quick question: While attempting to move the Update.zip, i am being told that the SD card is write protected. The only way I can get the SDcard to show up on the PC is to use the USB MAss Storage. However, I noticed that while using the USB mass storage I have no option to "Unmount" in the SD settings area, leading me to believe that it is not mounted while in the USB storage mode. Any help is appreciated.

To unmount you can right click on the drive from the computer and pick eject..or on the phone put the phone into charge only from drop down notification bar

arg1980
08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Just a heads up. I got flash working by unchecking private browsing in the browser settings.

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Everything is still there...its on media fire...when u download it, it is called" the_gift"

Thanks...downloading now...

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I hope so because I have tried everything in my power so far to unbrick this thing with no lock. Please keep me posted if you find any info and I will do the same.

I restarted my computer, booted back into Windows 7, put the USB cable in the phone and the phone booted up no problem. Can i get a gigantic WTF? After boot up, I had to activate the DroidX (because I had wiped data/cache in recovery) but after all that, I went to About Phone and I am on FROYO!!!!!!!!!!!! And it looks like all my apps are restoring as we speak. Do I dare shut down? I don't understand what happened.

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
I restarted my computer, booted back into Windows 7, put the USB cable in the phone and the phone booted up no problem. Can i get a gigantic WTF? After boot up, I had to activate the DroidX (because I had wiped data/cache in recovery) but after all that, I went to About Phone and I am on FROYO!!!!!!!!!!!! And it looks like all my apps are restoring as we speak. Do I dare shut down? I don't understand what happened.

So you did both wipe options in the bootloader? Both data, then went back and did cache? I did data...but I'll try cache next and see what happens if this is what you did.

Each time I reboot I have to wait 5 minutes before powering back on or else I will never get back into the bootloader.

bozidar0
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Addictinggames.com works!

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
So you did both wipe options in the bootloader? Both data, then went back and did cache? I did data...but I'll try cache next and see what happens if this is what you did.

Each time I reboot I have to wait 5 minutes before powering back on or else I will never get back into the bootloader.

The bootloader does not have those options..that is the recovery..just a heads up

droidemperor
08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

In recovery, I had done a factory reset 2 times and i had wiped the cache also. But I think doing a factory reset wipes the cache anyway. I just don't understand how I got this back. And I am scared to power off the phone now. Who knows if it will boot up again?

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM

lucky man!....i have not had any luck what so ever....i'll continue to try different things i only hope i get as lucky as you.

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
The bootloader does not have those options..that is the recovery..just a heads up

Sorry -- I'm new to android rooting. I've done quite a bit back in the days of winmo...

So the bootloader is accessed by HOME + POWER and the recovery menu is HOME + VOLUME + POWER?

What's this I hear about CAMERA + POWER? It's on a few youtube videos...

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
To unmount you can right click on the drive from the computer and pick eject..or on the phone put the phone into charge only from drop down notification bar

I guess the issue isn't that I can't unmount, it's that I can't write anything to the SD when it is plugged into the computer via USB. I keep getting the "This disk is write protected" error.

Samckaz
Let me share my 2 cents.

If you installed Koush's Recovery then there is no way in hell you will succseed, I've been there done that, just find the SBF file and Motorola RDS lite, put the phone in Bootloader by holding camera+volume down+power when turning it on (it doesn't tell you that on wiki) and reflash the phone, you will not lose "anything". Then do the Root hack again since by reflashing you will lose Root, then apply the FroYo 2.2 Update.zip by booting into recovery (hold Volume down+Home+Power buttons- when you see the little green Droid figure press the Search button then scroll to Apply Update.zip. Make SURE that it completes (status bar is not that visible) when phone reboots you've got some nice FROzenYOgurt!!! and man is it worthwhile.
Speed increase is very nice, still Rooted,Flash Player beats my Acer Netbook.
Just the whole feel of the phone is an awesome experience.

Don't be chicken. It pays well in the end.

I'll try to upload the SBF file later as soon as this little thingy called 'work gets out of the way;-)

angermanagement
Sorry -- I'm new to android rooting. I've done quite a bit back in the days of winmo...

So the bootloader is accessed by HOME + POWER and the recovery menu is HOME + VOLUME + POWER?

What's this I hear about CAMERA + POWER? It's on a few youtube videos...

The recovery is accessed by power+volume down+camera

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Any idea what the error message in the recovery menu means?

JBHorne
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
OMG!!! I wiped my cache and got it to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Let me share my 2 cents.

If you installed Koush's Recovery then there is no way in hell you will succseed, I've been there done that, just find the SBF file and Motorola RDS lite, put the phone in Bootloader by holding camera+volume down+power when turning it on (it doesn't tell you that on wiki) and reflash the phone, you will not lose "anything". Then do the Root hack again since by reflashing you will lose Root, then apply the FroYo 2.2 Update.zip by booting into recovery (hold Volume down+Home+Power buttons- when you see the little green Droid figure press the Search button then scroll to Apply Update.zip. Make SURE that it completes (status bar is not that visible) when phone reboots you've got some nice FROzenYOgurt!!! and man is it worthwhile.

I'll try to upload the SBF file later as soon as this little thingy called 'work gets out of the way;-)

+1 iv had to do the same thing and the phone runs like a champ..sbf links are already posted on here

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I guess the issue isn't that I can't unmount, it's that I can't write anything to the SD when it is plugged into the computer via USB. I keep getting the "This disk is write protected" error.

That's odd..I personally have never had that issue..u could try to download the update.zip directly to the phone then moving it to the root of the sd card

Legacy23
08-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Let me share my 2 cents.

Thank you very much! If I could buy you a beer i would. I got into the bootloader and now RSD found my device and I am unbricking it as I type this. Your the MFing man! and I'm not going to let this stop me I and going to try it again and get Froyo on my X.

Ant
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Any idea what the error message in the recovery menu means?

Im getting same thing, and if i try to do update anyway its says assert failed check patch on stickynotewidget, but i checked it out and everything seemed fine, any help please?

Samckaz
08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Ant: are you Rooted? Did you install Koush Bootstrap Recovery? Themes?

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 01:55 PM
That's odd..I personally have never had that issue..u could try to download the update.zip directly to the phone then moving it to the root of the sd card

I tried that but it told me that it was not possible due to the file not being recognized. Here is a question that may simplify things: When trying to do this, are you in USB MAss Storage mode or PC mode?

Ant
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Ant: are you Rooted? Did you install Koush Bootstrap Recovery? Themes?

Rooted, yes. Bootsrap recovery,yes. Themes no

acedzer0
Those with audio/volume issues....do you notice a difference? I didn't see this on the list of fixes.

Also, I noticed the list mentioned Tethering. But we had that before...what's the upgrade?I haven't noticed any difference...

angermanagement
I tried that but it told me that it was not possible due to the file not being recognized. Here is a question that may simplify things: When trying to do this, are you in USB MAss Storage mode or PC mode?

Usb mass storage

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Rooted, yes. Bootsrap recovery,yes. Themes no

If u have used bootstrap u will have to diva sbf restore..this is the only way the update.zip will work

Ant
08-20-2010, 02:01 PM
If u have used bootstrap u will have to diva sbf restore..this is the only way the update.zip will work

Thanks, could you point me in the direction to sbf restore

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks, could you point me in the direction to sbf restore

Link Removed

Ant
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Link Removed

After i use the flash, what next,sorry foreign so many?'s

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:15 PM
After i use the flash, what next,sorry foreign so many?'s

First make sure u read all the directions about the sbf before trying it..if done wrong u can brick your phone..after the sbf is done u can download the p3 2.2 leak, place it on the root of your sd card, reboot and hold the home key, when the triangle shows up push the search key, move down to update.zip and install, reboot and your done
*to get into the bootloader turn the phone off and hold power+camera+volume down

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Usb mass storage

Hmm, ok, so at least that is correct. I cannot, however, move anything onto it as it says it is write-protected. I just recently got the phone so there isn't much on it. I'm going to try and reformat the SD card and see if that helps.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Hmm, ok, so at least that is correct. I cannot, however, move anything onto it as it says it is write-protected. I just recently got the phone so there isn't much on it. I'm going to try and reformat the SD card and see if that helps.

Try rebooting the computer and phone first

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Try rebooting the computer and phone first

I've done both of those. The reformat did not work either. Could it theoretically have something to do permissions on the computer I am on (work comp)? It doesn't make sense, especially since I transferred an mp3 file onto it succesfully a few weeks ago. This phone is wildly frustrating.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I've done both of those. The reformat did not work either. Could it theoretically have something to do permissions on the computer I am on (work comp)? It doesn't make sense, especially since I transferred an mp3 file onto it succesfully a few weeks ago. This phone is wildly frustrating.

It could be possible..but I am not 100% sure..have u tried downloading the update.zip directly to the phone? Eliminating the computer all together

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
It could be possible..but I am not 100% sure..have u tried downloading the update.zip directly to the phone? Eliminating the computer all together

Yep. That tells me that it is not a file type recognized by the phone.

One thought-LauncherPro wouldn't have anything to do with this would it? That's pretty much the only thing I have installed that didn't come with the phone that would be affecting this.

Ant
08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Can't quite figure out how to do the sbf, might of jumped in over my head, lol

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Yep. That tells me that it is not a file type recognized by the phone.

One thought-LauncherPro wouldn't have anything to do with this would it? That's pretty much the only thing I have installed that didn't come with the phone that would be affecting this.

Download astro file manager, go into the preferences and allow browser downloads..see if that does anything..launcher pro should have no effect on it

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Can't quite figure out how to do the sbf, might of jumped in over my head, lol

Look for this on the page-->Motorola Droid X SBF Download With Drivers in package -Here [SBF FLASH] download where it says HERE and [SBF FLASH] scroll down and follow the windows instructions if u are on a windows computer

TheTank123
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Download astro file manager, go into the preferences and allow browser downloads..see if that does anything..launcher pro should have no effect on it

Doing that now. Seems to be downloading. Is there any special steps to take after DLing or can I just follow the steps that MDW provided?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Doing that now. Seems to be downloading. Is there any special steps to take after DLing or can I just follow the steps that MDW provided?

U will have to move the update.zip file from the download folder to the root of the sdcard

Ant
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Look for this on the page-->Motorola Droid X SBF Download With Drivers in package -Here [SBF FLASH] download where it says HERE and [SBF FLASH] scroll down and follow the windows instructions if u are on a windows computer

So it can't be done from phone alone?

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
So it can't be done from phone alone?

No, u must use a computer

Ant
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Crap, thanks

fourgotn6
08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh my sweet baby jesus they fixed the goddamned wifi bug!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcstarr
08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh my sweet baby jesus they fixed the goddamned wifi bug!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still not able to see my 'n' network; I've read somewhere it should be set to 2.4 and not 5 and I have not tried that yet but will. Volume does sound louder to me as I can no hear my phone ring from upstairs and that NEVER happened before. Only thing I can find so far that is broken is that if you go into Settings/Battery Manager and click on the battery to see what is using it it force closes. Can anyone else confirm this is happening on their's?

***EDIT*** Wireless N is now working by changing it to 2.4!!! YES!!!

Battery Manager problem was the widget Battery Left. I uninstalled it, rebooted and now it is working a charm. That was bugging the piss out of me, so glad to have figured it out!

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I am still not able to see my 'n' network; I've read somewhere it should be set to 2.4 and not 5 and I have not tried that yet but will. Volume does sound louder to me as I can no hear my phone ring from upstairs and that NEVER happened before. Only thing I can find so far that is broken is that if you go into Settings/Battery Manager and click on the battery to see what is using it it force closes. Can anyone else confirm this is happening on their's?

My battery manager seems to work fine..the n network im not sure on..I haven't even messed w it yet

bozidar0
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Did you click on the battery picture in the battery manager anger? It needs to FC when I do it as well jcstarr

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Did you click on the battery picture in the battery manager anger? It needs to FC when I do it as well jcstarr

Yes sir..loads up fine for me..no fc or anything

hollovoid7
08-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Only thing ive noticed so far, is after a while of sitting the phone "forgets" how to play mp3's, or streaming music like pandora, and I have to reboot. It says file type not recognized (and pandora throws a bunch of errors I dont remember, but both are fine after a reboot. Notifications all still sound off, but mms does not. Its wierd, but doesnt seem to be happening all too much, may do a factory reset if it continues since I uninstalled nothing and just did the update as is, (im used to the winmo days of WIPE flash, flash, hard reset).

Enos316
08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Just applied it, no problems. Great performance increase and a legit 3g hotspot!

Jaxidian
08-20-2010, 05:29 PM
It appears that my application of FroYo has caused me to lose root. I did the moving of su from bin to xbin, even. I'm not that upset for the time being, but it's a bit annoying having all of the root bits installed but no root. :(

FunkUSMCRet
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
OK, I am rooted, never removed any bloat ware, but I'm not sure what is meant by "returning it to stock state" or if you have "themed" your DX? I have LauncherPro installed, would that be considered a theme? Sorry for my ignorance... I really would like to do this, but I've got my phone set up so nice now I'm afraid of having to redo everything again. LOL I do have MyBackUp Pro and Titanium as well... so things are all backed up... just curious. THANKS!

thescreensavers
08-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I can confirm that this leak has a louder max volume then the current Official 2.1. Its not ground breaking but its louder.

X-tac23
08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
OK, I am rooted, never removed any bloat ware, but I'm not sure what is meant by "returning it to stock state" or if you have "themed" your DX? I have LauncherPro installed, would that be considered a theme? Sorry for my ignorance... I really would like to do this, but I've got my phone set up so nice now I'm afraid of having to redo everything again. LOL I do have MyBackUp Pro and Titanium as well... so things are all backed up... just curious. THANKS!

Launcher pro is not considered a "theme". Returning it to stock state is putting back all apps you deleted but if you didnt your ok. As for the back up both should work. I didnt do a factory data reset and all is fine with me.

FunkUSMCRet
08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Launcher pro is not considered a "theme". Returning it to stock state is putting back all apps you deleted but if you didnt your ok. As for the back up both should work. I didnt do a factory data reset and all is fine with me.

OK, sweet and thanks.

Now, I'm wanting to keep it rooted and I followed the instructions:

STOP: YOU MUST VERIFY THAT YOUR SU IS LOCATED IN THE XBIN NOT THE BIN
I suggest using Root Explorer as it is the easiest was to do it: Get it in the MarketPlace

open rootexplorer
navigate to the /system/bin folder and hold down the su file, then select move
navigate to the /system/xbin folder and press the menu button (4 squares)
select edit and then paste

However, when I go to paste, it says "You cannot paste here because the file system is read-only?"

UPDATE: I forgot to mount R/W

Here we go... still a little paranoid about the whole thing. LOL Oh well, there's always a hard reset and I've got backups. :)

FunkUSMCRet
08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
OK, all went well booting into recovery mode... selected apply sdcard:update.zip

At the bottom, it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

When I hit enter... "Install from sdcard, Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I think I read someone else encountering this so I'll peruse the thread until someone throws me a bone or I find the answer. Thank you everyone.

g2h0
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Just got 2.2 loaded up! Seems to be running great and having flash is extra nice. It was a bit of a process for me to update though because I had previously ran the DroidXBootstrap to create a backup. I ended up doing the sbf and then running the leaked update. Guided by you fine folks and the posts on mydroidworld I was able to update and keep root. Couldn't be happier as this is my first android phone and my first post on any android forum. I'm loving the abundance of knowledgable people and the openness of the platform.

Jaxidian
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
OK, all went well booting into recovery mode... selected apply sdcard:update.zip

At the bottom, it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

When I hit enter... "Install from sdcard, Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I think I read someone else encountering this so I'll peruse the thread until someone throws me a bone or I find the answer. Thank you everyone.

I had this error and had no problems getting to 2.2. I did, however, lose root. Not sure if this had anything to so with or not.

djnos2000
08-20-2010, 06:47 PM
you have to load the phone in bootloader to use rsd lite and make sure you have the drivers for the phone installed

g2h0
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
When I booted to recovery I also got the E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command error message. I went ahead and did the update and did not lose root. I was searching all over the place for the meaning of the message but came up with nothing. I assumed it had something to do with the modified bootstrap even though i had sbf'd. I'd like to know what it means too.

FunkUSMCRet
08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I had this error and had no problems getting to 2.2. I did, however, lose root. Not sure if this had anything to so with or not.

OK, if you got that error... how did you get to 2.2? I originally downloaded the update and placed the unzipped folder into the root of my sd card... I thought perhaps it should be compressed so I put that in instead and I get this error now:

Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Cleared my cache etc and tried again same thing... not sure what to do now.

If I decide not to continue attempting this update, do I need to put my su back?

Thanks to all for the input. Not really worried as long as my phone continues to work... LOL

sphen22
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
All the Hot Models' sites finally work!! Yay flash again!

FunkUSMCRet
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
you have to load the phone in bootloader to use rsd lite and make sure you have the drivers for the phone installed

OK and thanks. But I have never used rsd lite... I'm on a mac, but have a windows laptop handy. Instructions for this somewhere? In the meantime... I hear my couch calling me. :) Cheers all!

X-tac23
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
If you downloaded it over your phone you have to move the update.zip to the root of the sd card using astro. It is going to be under downloads. Then boot into recovery and install update.zip. I did the same thing.

tony1208
08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Dam I installed this fine but didn't move my su to the xbin because droid life post didn't say too and now I can't use root explorer or any rooted apps....I still have this su icon though ....no clue what's up

goukyfive
08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks! One question though, is there a way to turn on the sliding unlock/vibrate locks back? Right after i installed the update i noticed its not there anymore.

yurdle
08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
When I booted to recovery I also got the E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command error message. I went ahead and did the update and did not lose root. I was searching all over the place for the meaning of the message but came up with nothing. I assumed it had something to do with the modified bootstrap even though i had sbf'd. I'd like to know what it means too.

It has nothing to do with the Modified bootloader... i never modified mine and i had that error too... ran the update anyways and had no problem. update went flawless and things are running great on both mine and my dad's phones =) thanks everyone

IML726
08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
OK, if you got that error... how did you get to 2.2? I originally downloaded the update and placed the unzipped folder into the root of my sd card... I thought perhaps it should be compressed so I put that in instead and I get this error now:

Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
Installation aborted.

If I decide not to continue attempting this update, do I need to put my su back?

Thanks to all for the input. Not really worried as long as my phone continues to work... LOL

I had the same issue. I did I few things and I dont know which one worked, but I was able to update to 2.2

Unchecked the box that enables USB debugging.
Removed screen lock
downloaded the update.zip file again.
the original file I downloaded was ~56mb and when I downloaded it a second time it was ~69mb

My phone was rooted and I renamed everything back to original before installing the update. I still have root.

hollovoid7
08-20-2010, 07:41 PM
thanks! One question though, is there a way to turn on the sliding unlock/vibrate locks back? Right after i installed the update i noticed its not there anymore.
I would like to know this too, I see it flash up for a second sometimes when I bring it out of sleep, but I cant find a way to enable it...

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I would like to know this too, I see it flash up for a second sometimes when I bring it out of sleep, but I cant find a way to enable it...

Mine is still there after the update but try going to the settings>sound>hapatic feedback

goukyfive
08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Mine is still there after the update but try going to the settings>sound>hapatic feedback

Nope that didn't work either :/

hollovoid7
08-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Nope that didn't work either :/

Didn't work for me either. I can enable pattern lock, but not just the standard lock screen. I dont see the option for it anywhere.

CBGOODMAN200A
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Donate your bricks to habitat for humanity

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Didn't work for me either. I can enable pattern lock, but not just the standard lock screen. I dont see the option for it anywhere.

Could try spare parts..I know they have a hepatic feedback thing but I dunno what all it controls

markiepaul
08-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I got my X flashed and everything is running great. Did this while I walked around Babies R Us with the wife and baby. Did the build.prop mod and I'm happy thus far. Good times.

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I got my X flashed and everything is running great. Did this while I walked around Babies R Us with the wife and baby. Did the build.prop mod and I'm happy thus far. Good times.

Hahaha that's classic..mess w the phone while shoppin w the wifey..gotta love it lol

RohanRider762
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Ok, so I have extensive knowledge on the inter workings of the original Droid, like most of us here. Never had ANY issues that I needed to post about (I did the original root, through ADB as well)

But this has me completely stumped...

I am stuck on the white "M" and cannot boot into bootloader at all. No matter if I hold home and power, then put in the battery or put the battery in and then hold home and power.

I did the clean SBF through RSD Lite, that went perfectly well. Put the update.zip on my SD card then rebooted into recovery, applied update.zip. The update went through without error then I restarted my phone through the recovery.

then it stuck on the M for about 10 minutes, the lady said "Verizon Wireless" about 6 times then it made the beeping sound like it got into Android but the M was still on the screen.. let it sit for another few minutes, then battery pulled... and now I can't get into bootloader. Anyone have any idea?

****edit. I am an idiot.****

angermanagement
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Ok, so I have extensive knowledge on the inter workings of the original Droid, like most of us here. Never had ANY issues that I needed to post about (I did the original root, through ADB as well)

But this has me completely stumped...

I am stuck on the white "M" and cannot boot into bootloader at all. No matter if I hold home and power, then put in the battery or put the battery in and then hold home and power.

I did the clean SBF through RSD Lite, that went perfectly well. Put the update.zip on my SD card then rebooted into recovery, applied update.zip. The update went through without error then I restarted my phone through the recovery.

then it stuck on the M for about 10 minutes, the lady said "Verizon Wireless" about 6 times then it made the beeping sound like it got into Android but the M was still on the screen.. let it sit for another few minutes, then battery pulled... and now I can't get into bootloader. Anyone have any idea?

****edit. I am an idiot.****

A few others have had problems similar to this..u could try to pull the battery and let the phone sit for 5-10min then reboot and try to get into the recovery, wipe cache and do a factory restore

RohanRider762
08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Got into recovery FINALLY after 2 sbf flashes... wipped cache, did a factory reset... it looks like that may have worked... thank you so much...

jw03
08-21-2010, 12:38 AM
after reading all these post, I'm lucky it went flawlessly.
I don't have a clue what 90% of the jargon is on this forum since i'm new to smart phones. Just came to Droid X from Blackbery Storm.

Anyways, my phone is not rooted. My setting was checked for USB Debugging for when I was using PDAnet tethering.

I am running Windows7 and plugged in the USB and dragged the update.zip file to the SD card through My Computer and dragged and dropped the update.zip file onto the phone. After that I unplugged the phone.

I turned off the phone and then held the power button down and home key at the same time and came to the screen with the Android and update option. I used the camera focus buttons (volume up and down) to select the update option and the camera photo snap button to select "ok"

The update only took 5 minutes. The M logo did last a bit, but only 2 minutes max maybe.

Everything works great.

drone46
08-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Update my DX no issues. Seems faster and smoother now. Only problem I have found is that google maps is force closing.

One question I have is do I need to leave the update.zip on the sd card after I update or should it be removed?

happydroid
08-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Dam I installed this fine but didn't move my su to the xbin because droid life post didn't say too and now I can't use root explorer or any rooted apps....I still have this su icon though ....no clue what's up

Try the following:

In Terminal Emulator, type:

./su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system
mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su.bak
cd /system/xbin/
cp su ../bin/

Hope it helps..

RohanRider762
08-21-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm back to being very stuck... RSD now will not see my phone. After repeatedly uninstalling the driver, reinstalling it, rebooting my computer, rebooting the phone back into bootloader... Also, it says my bootloader is now 30.01 at the top, it has never said that before.. it was 29 something before...

My phone is non-functioning at this point...

djnos2000
08-21-2010, 03:52 AM

Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
Installation aborted.

do not unzip the file.... load the zipped file into your sd card and try it again it should work

angermanagement
08-21-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm back to being very stuck... RSD now will not see my phone. After repeatedly uninstalling the driver, reinstalling it, rebooting my computer, rebooting the phone back into bootloader... Also, it says my bootloader is now 30.01 at the top, it has never said that before.. it was 29 something before...

My phone is non-functioning at this point...

Get into the bootloader if u can, plug the phone in and let windows automatically install the drivers,unplug the phone close rsd lite and restart it, then plug the phone back in..that's how I got mine to work earlier (windows 7,32 bit)

FunkUSMCRet
08-21-2010, 05:10 AM
If you downloaded it over your phone you have to move the update.zip to the root of the sd card using astro. It is going to be under downloads. Then boot into recovery and install update.zip. I did the same thing.

Thanks, I actually downloaded it on my iMac then connected via USB and dropped it onto my sd card. Appreciate the input!

X-tac23
08-21-2010, 05:58 AM
That works also!

FunkUSMCRet
08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
do not unzip the file.... load the zipped file into your sd card and try it again it should work

Yeah, I gathered that after my first attempt... I downloaded the update on my iMac and it auto unzipped. Deleted the update folder and placed the zipped file directly onto the sd card. Still no go...

gergs
08-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Hey guys I upgraded yesterday and last night I tried to use Dock Simulator which fails every time I open it. Should I have expected apps to fail due to them not being compatible yet? Anyone else having problems like that? My X is stock aside from the froyo update. Thanks.

PhDCow
08-21-2010, 07:55 AM
OK, I'm not rooted and I'm going through the update process right now. I'm in reboot phase and I'm getting worried because the eye has been on for more than a minute.

Nevermind -- it's up and running! Thank you!

ToeJamm57
08-21-2010, 08:15 AM
FYI - the media fire site listed as hosting the upgrade software attempts to load malicious software when you visit the site.

gufemur
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
How stock does the phone need to be? Do I need to change the wallpaper back and kill all the apps I have?

FunkUSMCRet
08-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Screw it, hard reset and restoring from MyBackUp Pro... just too agitated right now to bother with this anymore. I'll wait for the official push.

giantsfan91
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
do i have to get bloatwares back? if yes, im so idiot. i delete all bloatware :( is there other way to get bloatwares back?

eyebee
08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
finnaly got it to work. just took out the sd card from phone plugged it in the pc uploaded the update and dropped it on the sd card. put the card back to the phone and uploaded it. now can anyone tell me if u can do screen shots with 2.2 without using a comp?

gustofusion
08-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Her

I received my Dorid X Yesterday and it has no mods whatsoever and I installed the 2.2 update.zip successfully and heres how I did It.
Downloaded an app from the market that is a file manager and lan file browser >>>(Astro)
Set up a network share on a pc on my network
placed the update.zip in a shared folder on the network
ran the program Astro and broused my network (wifi needs to be on)
copied the file update.zip
pasted update.zip on the droids root drive
Powered off the droidx
powered on the droidx
held down the home button
droid booted into a screen where I could select apply update it showed the actual .zip file
then answered ok at the bottom of the screen
it took a few seconds then the update began
after about 3 minutes it said to restart the phone
I powered off the phone waited a few minutes
then powered on the phone
after booting all of my apps were in tact and after checking my settings my version is 2.2
This worked perfect considering my phone was new (1 day old, and NOT rooted, basically stock) with the exception of a few apps installed.

Note: I was not plugged into any USB or charger during this entire process.

Hopes this helps.

PhDCow
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Yep, I did it right on my phone too. I really like how easy it was. Nothing really earth-shattering, but it seems like there's better software-hardware communication now.

X-tac23
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM
do i have to get bloatwares back? if yes, im so idiot. i delete all bloatware :( is there other way to get bloatwares back?

Yes you need the bloat!! Not sure how to get it back.

X-tac23
08-21-2010, 12:09 PM
finnaly got it to work. just took out the sd card from phone plugged it in the pc uploaded the update and dropped it on the sd card. put the card back to the phone and uploaded it. now can anyone tell me if u can do screen shots with 2.2 without using a comp?

You have to be rooted to take screen shots without a computer!

iheartrevenge
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I've read through every page/post in this thread as well as similar threads on other boards. (This differs greatly from my D1 days when I just installed whatever the newest mod was and totally screwed my phone up. :))

But I'm still unsure of how to backup my unrooted DX before installing this 2.2 leak. Am I to use an app like MyBackUp Pro or is it a totally different process? Thanks in advance for the help.

gufemur
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Does it matter if I use easy root 1.3.4, or do I have to do it the manual way?

iheartrevenge
08-21-2010, 01:39 PM
So I just made the leap. Like a previous poster said "Don't be a chicken".

I ran the benchmark and it read 1379 but then I get an error. When I run the full benchmark it skips the CPU portion so maybe thats why I'm getting an error.

Either way what else should I be drooling over besides Flash?

X-tac23
08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Does it matter if I use easy root 1.3.4, or do I have to do it the manual way?

Easy root is down for some reason!

gufemur
08-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Ok, I read that, yes, you can use easy root and so I went through the whole process. Phone is rooted and running 2.2!!!!!! I will say that the android OS's load so much faster than the blackberries. I use to load new OS's to my storm and strom2 all the time and you could expect to take about an hour to fully load and reset the phone. This took all of 10 min. Great find!!!!

X-tac23
08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I've read through every page/post in this thread as well as similar threads on other boards. (This differs greatly from my D1 days when I just installed whatever the newest mod was and totally screwed my phone up. :))

But I'm still unsure of how to backup my unrooted DX before installing this 2.2 leak. Am I to use an app like MyBackUp Pro or is it a totally different process? Thanks in advance for the help.

Totally different process. The backup you will make is a rooted backup. You can easily un root the phone.
Really the process is just the same as the droid 1.

gufemur
08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
WOW!!!! I can actually watch youtube videos on the phone and HEAR them now!!! Volume is fixed!!!!!!!! I don't even care about the rest of the updates as much as I do the volume fix. Don't be scarred, just update. It's well worth it

M@|ice
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
this thread has really grown over night and i cant see if it has been covered, but heres my question. i didnt move the su to xbin before updating, and yes i lost root. prior to the update i had used easyroot and installed all the apps it links like busybox and tether. i still have su on the phone i see it there. can i just move it over and reboot and gain root back? whats the solution to gain back root from this point? some of the root only apps run and some dont. when i try to use easy root it says im already rooted, when i try to unroot it fails.

also, im using handcent sms and the messsages are all screwed up. the times on them are way off but my clock on the actual phone is accurate. any ideas?

iheartrevenge
08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Totally different process. The backup you will make is a rooted backup. You can easily un root the phone.
Really the process is just the same as the droid 1.

I understand now.

I went ahead and updated. Luckily things went okay. I backed up my contacts and copied my SD card just in case. Not that it would have done any good. ;)

Thanks!

DijitalRay
08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Mine was completely stock other than apps. I updated last night seem to be running a bit faster. slight lag during unlock screen, but nothing major. Flash working like a champ and some online videos now giving me an hdmi option, I'm going to plug the cable in and test now.

rementec
08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
So I am rooted and I installed the update yesterday no problem, but I am unable to tether via USB - I don't have the options in my settings. Has anyone else had this problem? Additionally would reinstalling the update fix this?

Thanks

hollovoid7
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Could try spare parts..I know they have a hepatic feedback thing but I dunno what all it controls

I ended up solving my no lock screen and the ability to play mp3s randomly going away and coming back by doing a factory reset, had to reinstall apps and whatnot but well worth it, this build is very solid on my phone.

raveen
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
i get to the bootloader and when i try to install the update.zip i always get some kinda error 7 do i have a crap version of froyo 2.2 or what i dont get it please help

iheartrevenge
08-21-2010, 05:02 PM
I updated successfully.

To the others who were lucky to have 2.2 update as well:

When I tried to power down it went into its normal power off cycle. Except it froze after about 30 seconds. I started to pop the battery. But just before I did I hit the power button (while it was frozen) and it just started booting up. From the frozen power off screen to the droid eye. (No Motorola logo to the Droid logo to the Droid eye)

It cycled through for about 10 seconds and then started the droid eye cycle all over again. I thought it was stuck in the droid eye loop when the phone buzzed and it finally loaded up. It seems to work okay now. Made a call, sent a text, and checked my twitter/gmail.

But what a scary moment! :eek:

I might just tempt fate and see if I can try it again.

UPDATE:
Just tried again. Powered down in 5 seconds. Loaded Moto logo to Droid logo to Droid eye logo. Took all of 20 seconds. Phew!

Henthorn
08-21-2010, 06:47 PM
It it just me or is the battery lasting longer with the new update?

Im serious---I use to go through a battery a day--wake up in the morning take it off the charge, come home from work and its less that 20%...not the case any more. Right now its at 70%...

Backnblack
08-21-2010, 07:07 PM
MDW was served a C&D requiring all links to the leaked X 2.2 be taken down.

No links are to be posted here on DXF.

gcastilloo
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
I moved files from /bin to /xbin and updated to 2.2 now everything went ok. Am I still rooted or do I need to do something to get rooted again?

yurdle
08-22-2010, 01:42 AM
You are still rooted and good to go =)

Miami1683
08-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Im serious---I use to go through a battery a day--wake up in the morning take it off the charge, come home from work and its less that 20%...not the case any more. Right now its at 70%...

There is a new baseband in the update as well as a wifi tweak to help things out. I agree the battery is certainly better on this build

FunkUSMCRet
08-22-2010, 09:00 AM
I've been getting a lot of help from djnos2000.... I've done everything by instructions to the "T." However, I continue to have an error message when I try and update. This is the error message I get:

Error message:

Install from sdcard...
Finding update oackage...
Verifying update package...
...Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Calculator.apk", "bcd2548c24982c6b98186561fb729f472c9d3d88" , "186ec0fe5ea65b632586f28f7760b190f6b8414")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
Installation aborted.

I have found these instructions: http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Smart...X/Droid-X.html (at bottom for windows). Downloaded RSD Lite, but cannot find a link for the sbf zip?

I believe this is what I need to do to get my phone updated... anyone know where I can locate the SBF file (Please PM me)! THANK YOU

Backnblack
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
All links to the SBF file have been taken down....

PhDCow
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
The battery life has improved for me as well. So glad that I pulled the update onto my phone when I did, especially since I have family members wanting it now!

FunkUSMCRet
08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
* Hey all! Just wanted to tell you I've YET to get to 2.2. I've attempted practically everything (having followed instructions to the "T." I have tried rooted, unrooted, factory reset and different sd cards, several different downloads of the update zip etc etc...

* When I try and update via placing the update.zip file in the root of the sd card, I get the following error:

"Install from sdcard...
...Installing update...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Calculator.apk", "bcd2548c24982c6b98186561fb729f472c9d3d88" , "186ec0fe5ea65b632586f28f7760b190f6b8414")
Installation aborted."

* When I try and use the RSDLite method, I get this error:

"Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file. (0x703B) phone connected."

* I did have one question regarding the instructions on RootWiki's page:

"Move the pst_flash.ini file into the following folder --> Program Files/Motorola/RSDLite."

When I did this, RSDLite wouldn't work, so I moved it back... and it worked however the flash simply failed and I got the aforementioned error...

:) *** ANY THOUGHTS or input would be appreciated. *** :)

I've had SOME incredibly generous and patient help from djnos2000 (thanks again)!

PS Phone is running fine after all the attempts (have dual backups with both Titanium and MyBackUp Pro) so that has kept me from ripping my hair out (it's not that big of a deal, I just hate it when I can't figure out why something doesn't go as it should). More importantly, I am wondering if when the OTA update is pushed if my phone simply won't take it... at that point I'll get a little perturbed. I haven't removed any bloatware, nor themed my phone, I have LP installed and that's about it (as well as a few root apps like Titanium, Root Explorer etc).

Thanks again everyone for all your help.... bunch of good people on this forum.

luv2increase
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
* Hey all! Just wanted to tell you I've YET to get to 2.2. I've attempted practically everything (having followed instructions to the "T." I have tried rooted, unrooted, factory reset and different sd cards, several different downloads of the update zip etc etc...

* When I try and update via placing the update.zip file in the root of the sd card, I get the following error:

"Install from sdcard...
...Installing update...
Installation aborted."

* When I try and use the RSDLite method, I get this error:

"Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file. (0x703B) phone connected."

* I did have one question regarding the instructions on RootWiki's page:

"Move the pst_flash.ini file into the following folder --> Program Files/Motorola/RSDLite."

When I did this, RSDLite wouldn't work, so I moved it back... and it worked however the flash simply failed and I got the aforementioned error...

:) *** ANY THOUGHTS or input would be appreciated. *** :)

I've had SOME incredibly generous and patient help from djnos2000 (thanks again)!

PS Phone is running fine after all the attempts (have dual backups with both Titanium and MyBackUp Pro) so that has kept me from ripping my hair out (it's not that big of a deal, I just hate it when I can't figure out why something doesn't go as it should). More importantly, I am wondering if when the OTA update is pushed if my phone simply won't take it... at that point I'll get a little perturbed. I haven't removed any bloatware, nor themed my phone, I have LP installed and that's about it (as well as a few root apps like Titanium, Root Explorer etc).

Thanks again everyone for all your help.... bunch of good people on this forum.

It sounds like you uninstalled applications that you shouldn't have.

red9r
08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the slide to unlock screen? I use pattern security and don't want to go through the slide to unlock screen just to enter my pattern. I was able to disable that screen prior to the update.

rubi22
08-22-2010, 07:14 PM
This phone is running great now. Love the camera and gallery, and flag works great too. Oh and I'm actually a fan of the new swype interface

fishslayer
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
First off, is the leak the official version that is going to be on these phones from the OTA?

I guess I am a little gun shy on this update. Is this going to make all OTA updates fail if used? Will deleting the rootshell not allow OTA?

I guess I just worried that once I start updating like this I'll have to forever do it. :)

Anyone think that this might push up the OTA update?

mach330
08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
anyone got visual voicemail to work? it kept saying download error. i'm not using vvm, but my friend who i did the update to is.

gigantor07
08-23-2010, 01:09 AM
is there any way to get the leaked root 2.2 still or all they all lost, I am getting my x hopefully tomorrow or tuesday and would love to have it ready as I have 2.2 on d1 and now the d2 that I'm switching for the x. i already have the root stuff ready to go just need the 2.2 leak

angermanagement
08-23-2010, 01:14 AM
is there any way to get the leaked root 2.2 still or all they all lost, I am getting my x hopefully tomorrow or tuesday and would love to have it ready as I have 2.2 on d1 and now the d2 that I'm switching for the x. i already have the root stuff ready to go just need the 2.2 leak

Rom manager has it now

FunkUSMCRet
08-23-2010, 05:47 AM

But I didn't, not that I'm aware of anyway... I even did a factory reset (which I assume would reinstall everything if I did, but I didn't). How do you get it back to a stock state than, say if for some reason that did happen? Sigh.

sherm
08-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Just updated my stock 2.1 to Froyo. For anyone asking, I also had the "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" error and it updated just fine.

gustofusion
08-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Heres a great alternative app to get files from your computer (Network shares) or via ftp Called Estrongs File Explorer Probably the best
I've used.

V1.4.4
Toolbar enhance
SD Card Analyst
Home Screen Shortcut
Bookmark

Free,Featured File manager & Appmanager & taskkiller which explores the phone & PC.

*copy/cut move
*thumbnails
*multiselect
*edit text
*manage apps
*send as
*search
*(de)compress
*media on ftp
*access home PC
*bluetooth

movadoevo8
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Yes it is for me too at least. I have a 1.5 to 1.75 hr commute everyday from NJ to NY and usually I either listen to my MP3's or FM Radio (Usually FM RADIO). Anyhow so I did the usual and by the time I reach work I'm from 100% to 80% today I'm at 90% still!!!!!!!!!! I also notice during the weekend how much longer it lasted, but had no way to test or compare it yet. So today I compared it with my usual commute and boom was a good test.. I will see how long it lasts through the day or what % it's at by the time I get home.......

2.2 ROCKS!!

thecta
08-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Well...has Motorola officially done its cease and desist yet with the unofficial update? I was not around yesterday to see what everyone was saying about the news that Engadget had posted. Is everyone still able to get 2.2 as of today?

FunkUSMCRet
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM

FIGURED IT OUT!

With the RSDLite program there is a patch file named "PST_Flash" that you have to replace the original in the RSDLite program... I am now back to factory and quite happy. :)

Followed these instructions (http://alldroid.org/default.aspx?g=posts&m=8005#post8005) and it worked like a charm...

bozidar0
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Well...has Motorola officially done its cease and desist yet with the unofficial update? I was not around yesterday to see what everyone was saying about the news that Engadget had posted. Is everyone still able to get 2.2 as of today?

I believe it is not allowed to be publicly linked on any of the major sites, thats about it.

thecta
08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I wonder how many other sites now have it available for download? Motorola stops DROID X Android 2.2 Froyo leak with cease and desist letter (http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=10473)

jramirez
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if this update will fix the issue where the ringer doesnt work for incoming calls? (ringer issue Caused by "Smart Profile")

bozidar0
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if this update will fix the issue where the ringer doesnt work for incoming calls? (ringer issue Caused by "Smart Profile")

There is no more smart profile in 2.2 so I guess it did!

jpr
08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
There is no more smart profile in 2.2 so I guess it did!

The smart profile is still there in 2.2. I don't know if the bug was fixed. I don't want to try it myself in case it's not.

jramirez
08-23-2010, 06:28 PM
nope! its not fixed im stuck on vibrate.

bozidar0
08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Yours says "smart" profile? I don't have it anymore.

jpr
08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep, it says Smart Profile, right where it was before. Unless you managed to change your setting options somehow (I don't know what's possible to do with root since I'm not rooted), it should be there under Smart Sensor Settings.

lotusmaster
08-24-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm having an issue with my youtube app ever since I updated is anyone else having this issue?

PhDCow
08-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Mine doesn't have a Smart mode either for battery. I've got performance, battery-saver, and evening modes now.

jpr
08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
The question wasn't about the the smart mode battery settings. It was about the Smart Profile setting that stops the phone from ringing.

PhDCow
08-24-2010, 12:57 PM
I have that setting available still.

InfamousDX
08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Has anyone figured out the new drivers now that we updated to leaked 2.2? I got the old ADB drivers to work on my Windows 7 64-bit machine but my 32-bit XP machine here at work; nothing's working and it just won't recognize.

validoption
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Has anyone figured out the new drivers now that we updated to leaked 2.2? I got the old ADB drivers to work on my Windows 7 64-bit machine but my 32-bit XP machine here at work; nothing's working and it just won't recognize.

Do you mean the drivers the X installs on its first connect with a PC? If so, there isn't an issue with them; you just need to make sure that debugging mode is off when you connect so that the drivers can properly run. Then you can turn debugging mode back on and USB mode will connect with ADB again. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out why ADB would only connect in Media mode and why PC mode would not work or charge, until I did what I just suggested. Now it's perfect.

Sent from my DROIDX

POPdevil
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Here is the link I got the 2.2 from. There are so many links that are dying, if this isn't vaild, it was when I typed it.
**Link Removed**

Backnblack
08-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Please do not post links to the leaked 2.2 or the SBF files....

Next link receives a 7 Day Vacation :D

fragar
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
The update worked great for me rooted and all. Thanks to the creator.

mrklean59
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I already had my vacation, can I post it now ?? LOL!~ j/k .. I read this thread twice and am really confused.. what ended up being the solution for th dx being stuck on M ?? I just took mine to verizon...told them it was stuck... they hooked it up to their puter..nothing...said you'll be getting another in 2 days ... which I did...Ya !!! LOL I did the update...forgetting I had a new phone.. not rooted...is there a root coming for froyo.. the old way doesn't work....you cant have it in pc mode...if it's in charging mode...it doesn't work when you get to the 4th (?) step... thanks all ; )

validoption
08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
If the stuck on M / bootloop you're talking about is the one that occurs from flashing the .SBF to revert to 2.2 from 2.1, yes. Battery pull, reboot recovery, wipe data/factory reset, reboot, done.

And if I"m understanding the last part, you are having difficulty accessing the different Modes for USB connection. 2.2 works fine in all modes. You just need to connect to the PC with debugging turned off to make sure the drivers for all the modes and your PC are happy with one another. Then you can turn debugging on.

I already had my vacation, can I post it now ?? LOL!~ j/k .. I read this thread twice and am really confused.. what ended up being the solution for th dx being stuck on M ?? I just took mine to verizon...told them it was stuck... they hooked it up to their puter..nothing...said you'll be getting another in 2 days ... which I did...Ya !!! LOL I did the update...forgetting I had a new phone.. not rooted...is there a root coming for froyo.. the old way doesn't work....you cant have it in pc mode...if it's in charging mode...it doesn't work when you get to the 4th (?) step... thanks all ; )

mrklean59
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks, that clears some things up..when I get to step 4.. I can't cd to the dir. due to permission error...it's read only... any idea how I change it..can it be done in adb....I really don't want to go back to 2.1...and start over...or should I just wait for a froyo root ?? Thanks !

mrklean59
08-26-2010, 09:22 AM
FYI... droid-life.com says you can use the droid2 root to root the dx after installing froyo...don't know if it's been tried yet....but it will be after I eat breakfast. Also...if you're rooting just to get rid of system apps...ADW launcher lets you hide them from your screens so they don't appear. I also recommend..if you root.. don't delete the files you dont want.. rename them... they won't show.. but you still have them in case you need to get them back...just sharing a few things I found ; ))

freshgeardude
08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
^ to the above post.

by saving them, instead of deleting the apk's

you change the file extension from .apk to .bak

givvy
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I just preformed the update last week, seems to work fine. I was one of the lucky ones. Moved the update file onto my SD card, Rebooted into Recovery mode applied the update, after 1 reboot and what seemed like a extended Droid EYE screen, the phone was good to go. I was hesitant to try this after reading all the people that have had problems, but it worked out.
My droid X was very vanilla, non rooted and not overly loaded down with apps.

In fact the hardest part of the whole process for me was finding the update file.

Mudig
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Those of you with the leaked update, does it fix the volume issue?

smokecombs
09-06-2010, 11:48 PM
WIth the delayed Froyo I'm going to try and find the leaked version. If anyone has it and thinks it's safe to send it to me via PM it would be greatly appreciated, if you could send me links or whatever. If nog that's fine, I will start browsing torrents and stuff. Thanks for any help.

cybrwulf
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Those of you with the leaked update, does it fix the volume issue?

Yes it does.

XJ-linux
09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
So, the update apparently isn't coming out in" early September" I take it? Maybe" mid September"?

Veldy
09-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Has anybody tried calling Verizon and asking? Maybe use the premise that the phone is broken and not working right (the later is 100% true if you are running 2.1).