PDA

View Full Version : Best ROMs

bkebrian
12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I've flashed almost every ROM and I go back to these two and only these 2
Liberty 3.x (I dislike earlier versions of Liberty)
Vortex RC1 (earlier versions are equally great too)
I like these for many reasons... Great battery life, Stability and the fact that I can switch on off wifi/blue tooth, etc right from the information bar.k Both of these ROMs are very fast and you can over/under clock either.
That is my 2 cents worth even though nobody asked!
:excited:

BHuber09
12-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree I like liberty however I dislike the battery life.
My personal favorite is Rubix and Liquid with ics theme

FreeMyMoto!!!

csk415
12-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Have not tried liberty. Using vortex now and like it alot. Probably why I haven't tried anything else.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

eric eakin
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Currently eclipse 2.0.2 for DX2

When I had my DX I always liked Rubix and some Liberty.

DBH_Nick
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Using liberty 3 v2 right now and loving it. Battery life is iffy but not the worst.

Sent from my everchanging DROIDX

Pensacola32526
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Just went back to Vortex from Liberty. I prefer the battery life with Vortex.

dezlez
12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I agree, I prefer the battery life of vortex. I just wish it had the customization of MIUI.

Sent from my VorteXeD DX

DebianDog
12-27-2011, 06:04 AM
I agree, I prefer the battery life of vortex. I just wish it had the customization of MIUI.

Sent from my VorteXeD DX

Yes given what's come out for the DX lately I would say, for the most part, development for the X is dead. All the devs went to the shiny new toys.

Beamed from my DroidX

DebianDog
12-27-2011, 06:07 AM
over/under clock either
:excited:

You can over under clock ANY ROM just need root and quickclock advanced

Beamed from my DroidX

milski65
12-27-2011, 06:17 AM
True. But we've had a great run these last 6-8 months. More so than many other phones. But I do miss my weekly "fix".

TurkX
12-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I've been hearing X development is grinding to a halt, and it's a bummer for me cause I just got mine about 1-2 months ago 2nd hand and can't afford a shiny new toy lol.

anyhow, I had a bad experience with MIUI so I went to Vortex and loved it. I've been on Liberty3v2.0 for a few weeks now though and it's definitely my personal favorite. I'm really hoping for at least one more update for it.

Sent from my Droid X using Inverted Xparent Droid X Forums App

skooter16
12-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Yea this disappoints me because I still have till August with my X and I only started flashing July of this year and now the development is about gone. Maybe CM9 will get to us, but I hope this late in the game the battery life and everything else will work.

dtroup64
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
January of 2013 upgrade dater here. My X will feel like a rotary phone by then...

bsbabcock
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm on the current 1.12.9 MIUI and love it. If you flash it ontop of a fresh 602/605 SBF you should expect great performance, stability,and I think fairly decent battery life.

But yes many of the devs seem to be getting their gnex ICS fix these days. It appears it's the new DX. Which is fine by me.. when it's time, there will already be a bunch of good roms out there when I lay down my DX.

IMO the only rom that gives something truly unique besides aosp is MIUI. I hope this changes as Android develops. Theming on the fly without flashing is SOOOO for the win. :)

If it weren't for MIUI I'd be thinking CM7, Liberty, ApeX or Vortex for some blur. However one of the BEST froyo roms is recently updated I think... None other than good old Rubix.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spodoc
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Its not like the roms we have will go away. We've all been stoked with our phones for quite some time. They work great and we have the ability to make them look really unique. That wont change just because most are on the gnex and razr.

That said I think there are some great 605 based roms. I'm not exactly sure why the new liberty gets poor life but it does. Identical setup on Shuji 2.2 vs liberty 3: shuji uses 0.8%/hr while liberty is 1.3%/hr. That's the same email, Widgets, etc. I wish I could compare that to the 2ndinit gb roms but they don't get 1% reporting.

fezrock
12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Its not like the roms we have will go away. We've all been stoked with our phones for white some time. They work great and we have the ability to make them look really unique. That wont change just because most are on the gnex and razr.

^^^ Once again your voice of reason sums up my thoughts on the subject.

r...e...a...d :)

spodoc
12-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks Fez. That was nice to say.

cleopete
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I guess this forum will be winding down too. Always knew the day would come, still a shame though.

cleopete
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I've been hearing X development is grinding to a halt, and it's a bummer for me cause I just got mine about 1-2 months ago 2nd hand and can't afford a shiny new toy lol.

anyhow, I had a bad experience with MIUI so I went to Vortex and loved it. I've been on Liberty3v2.0 for a few weeks now though and it's definitely my personal favorite. I'm really hoping for at least one more update for it.

Sent from my Droid X using Inverted Xparent Droid X Forums App

At least you didn't have to wait for the good stuff!

Talon66721
01-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Its not like the roms we have will go away. We've all been stoked with our phones for quite some time. They work great and we have the ability to make them look really unique. That wont change just because most are on the gnex and razr.

That said I think there are some great 605 based roms. I'm not exactly sure why the new liberty gets poor life but it does. Identical setup on Shuji 2.2 vs liberty 3: shuji uses 0.8%/hr while liberty is 1.3%/hr. That's the same email, Widgets, etc. I wish I could compare that to the 2ndinit gb roms but they don't get 1% reporting.

Hey, Spodoc, how's it going? Do you use battery monitor widgit? It'll give you 1% on any rom. Has for me, anyway.

About the roms staying put, have a quick question. Will they? Just asking since Wulf took down all the links for his theme work. Are roms different? Do they stay? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

spodoc
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey, Spodoc, how's it going? Do you use battery monitor widgit? It'll give you 1% on any rom. Has for me, anyway.

About the roms staying put, have a quick question. Will they? Just asking since Wulf took down all the links for his theme work. Are roms different? Do they stay? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Things are ok right now but not great, thanks for asking :)

As far as whether a particular dev will stop hosting their stuff, hmmm that's an interesting question. I don't know wulf and haven't used his themes since I just theme all my own stuff. I would think if a dev doesn't want to spend the money hosting old stuff then they would be well within their rights to pull it. That said, just ask and theywill send you a copy or someone else will have one archived.

What I meant was that there is no reason why an old rom wont run as long as you can still get to the required starting point. For example, I think apex 1.4.1 was the pinnacle of stability and battery life. It was a 340 froyo-based rom from a long time ago. As long as I have the ability to sbf to 340 froyo, and as long as I don't loose the apex zip file then man I am ready flash that bad boy whenever I want.

Interesting that I use apex 1.4.1 as an example. Fabulous (the dev) included a primative toolbox that would do things like install the blur-based SMS client (I.e. stock text messaging). That toolbox downloaded a file from some server fab had access to. I'm sure that will not be accessible to a person 10 years from now. The new liberty does the same thing and allows you to swap out components (e.g. AOSP vs. Blur camera) and the toolbox gets themfrom some server somewhere. Those internet-based functions will die soon when the host feels they are unneeded. The rom will still run though.

But nobody is going to come onto your phone and delete your copy of apex, liberty, miui, etc. So as long as you can flash files and components from your personal media, and as long as Motorola does not trick us into upgrading our bootloader, themselves can go back to anything we want.

(History lesson)
Early in the life of the dx, our phone came with eclair (android 2.1). When it was upgraded to froyo (android 2.2) your phone's bootloader was irreversibly upgraded to 30.03, thereby preventing you from downgrading to eclair. Then droidx was upgraded to an improved froyo (2.2.1) that you will casually here referred to as .340 (that's the last three moto build numbers). It has a bootloader version of 30.04. You are now probably on gingerbread 2.3.3 (moto build .605) with the same 30.04 bootloader. You are allowed to go back to .340 froyo but not older froyo. That is because moto did not upgrade the bootloader from 340 to 589 to 602 to 605.

True story, I was without a phone for weeks because I upgraded to 340 and then messed up something and could not get out of a bootloop. There was no 340 sbf yet. I flashed the .320 sbf and bricked my phone. P3droid leaked the sbf two weeks later and I was back on myfeet.

Talon66721
01-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow! Awesome write up that I'm sure many will find interesting! I sure did! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for us.

Sorry things aren't better for you. Do what I do: deep breath, woosah, exhale, then tell yourself it's only temporary, things will get better.

I was really just wondering about the hosting part of it, which you explained perfectly. More than I was looking for, but that's a good thing. Actually, the thought never crossed my mind until Wulf pulled all his work. But, I missed out on a lot of his themes that I wish I'd grabbed now. So, now I know to grab what I may want in the future and throw them on an external hard drive. I just never really thought about it before, but why would they continue to pay to host outdated files. Makes sense.

spodoc
01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I hate to speak for anyone, but if a dev or themer no longer hosts something then ask that person if you can have one-time access to their files for archival purposes. Or post a thread asking for users here to share with you. I'm sure there are plenty of people that still have a lot of stuff of their SD card.

Maybe dxf could start an archive for such things.

Talon66721
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Right on. Good idea. I wasn't sure if it was cool to ask other members for someone else's work. Thanks again!

spodoc
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
For any rom, theme, etc. or theme thathas been publically released, the default position is that you are ethically within your rights to share those files for free. If a dev specifically requests that something not be shared, then certainly his request should be honored if at all possible. I honestly don't see this ever being the case for old roms and themes. In fact, most devs are likely proud when they hear you are still rocking their older stuff. It means all their time is still having a positive effect.

The situations where devs request that distribution be limited is usually in the case of test builds where the release was never meant for general public consumption.

Eample: Mobile sensei has a version of shuji (version 3.0) that he has decided he does not want out there "in the wild" so to speak. He asked his testers not to share it. So, even if I happen to come across a copy of that, I would honor his wishes and not share it with anyone.

So you are cool with asking for anything that is/was public.