PDA

View Full Version : ClockWork Recovery: different versions for different ROMS and apps?

gg48gg
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi All:

I am trying to switch ROMS, make backups, restore, etc. I need some advice on how ensure that I always come up with a working and consistent recovery tool.

I have seen several versions of the Recovery pop up at different times...

5.0.2.0: This is what the app "ROM Manager" tries to set. I select "Motorola Droid X" when using that tool. Should I select "Motorola Droid X (2nd init)"? What is the difference? (I am a UNIX admin professionally, so some details here would be helpful to me to understand what is happening). 5.0.2.0 is light blue instead of Android green and includes the "power off" option which is actually pretty handy.

2.5.0.6: This is what I actually get if I "boot recovery" using DroidX Bootstrapper without USB debugging checked.

Other versions: do ROMs like Apex and Liberty install their own recovery version?

I made a backup with 5.0.2.0, only to find later that I could load nothing but Recovery version 2.5.0.6. My 5.0.2.0 backup was incompatible with Recovery 2.5.0.6 and I couldn't restore. It said it couldn't find the .img for /system, /data, etc.

Also, do ROMs like Apex and Liberty install their own recovery version?

I need some advice on how ensure that I always come up with a working and consistent recovery tool.

Thanks,
G

cory46
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Clockwork 2.x.x uses amend scripting to load zip files (which was deprecated)

5.x.x uses edify scripting

2nd init recovery option are used for 2nd init roms (based off cyanogenmod- MIUI, Liquid, SSX to name some)

If you make a backup of say apex with 2.x.x you don't need to worry about restoring it if you go to another Rom like a 2nd init rom because they are incompatible.

Blur based roms and data can only be restored to another blur base

Same goes for aosp based roms

Restoring app data is little different you can restore that across anything (usually use Titanium backup or similar apps)

Apex and liberty use 2.x.x because they are still based off of the blur base that is stock on the droid x

Hope I didn't gloss over anything or forget ;) I'll edit if I have too

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gg48gg
12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
THANKS BIGTIME!!! My brain is getting bigger my the second...

I found this thread which gives more info on amend/edify: [NOTICE] ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0+ and update-script - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897026).

I am still digesting this post and reading. Thanks again. Let's hope my skull can hold in my brain.