PDA

View Full Version : Best AOSP GB ROM

Skwuhurl
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
In your opinion what's the best AOSP GB ROM for the Droid X? I'm currently on Apex2.0 rc4 and I like it except the lack of a toolbox. So what do you think is the best?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Um cm7 gingerbread kernel by Revnumbers is a great option . Its 100% AOSP

FreeMyMoto!!!

Skwuhurl
12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I tried CM7 but the battery life was poor. But it's a great ROM

BHuber09
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Um what do you like about AOSP because there's liberty which is a great rom
But most roms have some AOSP in them, just some more than others.
My next suggestion for you is liberty, great rom for sure.

FreeMyMoto!!!

nodixe
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
This is my understanding so correct me if Im wrong..k. Droid X roms come in 2 flavors:blur and aosp. Blur roms include Liberty, Apex, Vortex, Shuji, ICX etc etc. Aosp roms include: CyanogenMod, SSX, MIUI, and Liquid. Even though they include features of, and might be aosp-like both Liberty and Apex are blur based therefore not aosp.

bkebrian
12-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree with the comments. I like both Liberty 3.0 and Vortex RC1. I like a ROM with a little blur. One thing about the Liberty ROMs is that you can add/delete blur as you like. For example I like my ROM with the stock dialer and camera but the rest of the blur I can do without. That's my 2 cents.

3club
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
This post is not so much to provide and answer, but more to ask confirmation, but it's relative to what's already been mentioned.

I think there's a lack of understanding among many beginners about exactly what AOSP and Blur really are, and 2nd-init roms. I'm still a beginner, and don't understand it all, and know just enough to be dangerous.

Here's my current understanding, and anybody who knows better, please correct me.

AOSP is the Open Source from Google, and is very basic and generic. Blur comes from Motorola and is specific to their phones, includes functionality for things like HDMI and their particular camera, etc., plus all of their bloatware which bogs things down and makes them buggy. So one one hand you have crisp and clean with no caffeine, and on the other hand you have a thick slurry of good and bad. And anything that has Blur can't be AOSP, and anything that's AOSP can't have any Blur, so they're mutually exclusive.

It's my further understanding that because of the way things are locked down, the only way to run a rom based on AOSP is to do the 2nd-init thing. So everything AOSP is 2nd-init, and all 2nd-init roms are AOSP, and none of them can have any Blur. And on the other side, all roms that have any blur are neither AOSP nor 2nd-init, and all NON aosp/2nd-init roms are necessarily Blur based.

Again, if an expert can please correct me or let me know if I'm finally catching on, I'd appreciate it.

nodixe
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
This is my understanding of android on DX. If Im wrong about anything (it does happen) please correct me k.
AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and consists of the open source portion of Google's operating system. Its basically the stock android build without any propriatory software (Gapps is so it cant be open source right?). AOSP is what is released on Nexus devices and is commonly known as vanilla android. Google then hands the build over to the manufacturers, this is where it gets tricky! Most mfrs just use the stock build as a base framework to modify and layer their own software on top of like a 'skin', each with varying degrees of hardware integration:
Samsung=TouchWizz
Motorola=MotoBlur
HTC=Sense
...so that means every rom/os starts as aosp it just depends on how much is left untouched from mfrs. Its like adding koolaid and sugar to water-it still has water in it but its changed so much that it wont function as pure water does. This is where confusion is I think. Moto devices have locked bootloader and require some part of Blur framework to boot or function properly. In order to make a rom as aosp like as possible but still keep hardware functionallity devs like fabulous (Apex) had to recompile stock apk from source (they rebuilt stock apps from aosp to work on moto hw without blur...aosp apps on blur framework....thats how I understand it) so its blurless but not pure aosp.
2init process pulls a carjack after bootloader puts the key in ignition and uses pure aosp since it dont need blur fw. I dont believe there are any non-aosp 2init roms (why put it back in after so much work removing it? Seems pointless init?)
To make a long story longer my original point was to say that both 'flavors' of android on DX have distinctive pros n cons due to implementation
Blur based-stability, hd camera, hdmi out, battery life
2init based-no bloatware, lightweight, fast, bootmanager compattible, and superior tethering (imho)

Brad92
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd say that's a pretty good explanation. Although 2nd init ROMs are just a solid as Blur ROMs IMO. Other than the HDMI

Galnet MIUI

bsbabcock
02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm almost of the opinion the best aosp with FULL functionality on the DX is a fresh blur SBF with bloat frozen and some tweaks for performance such as undervolting/overclocking with quickclock.

I do notice the hi-rez graphics on MIUI just spanks the stock GB rom though when I had two DX's side by side. Everything about my MIUI'd DX was sharper.. Otherwise I'd consider, again, trying to go stock. This might have more to do with the home launcher though.

Plus I've gotten MIUI so dialed in it's hard to be satisfied going back. Sad to see DX development come to such a halt though. It was the bad daddy this time last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Brad92
02-08-2012, 10:35 PM
There is almost nothing AOSP about the stock ROM. Except maybe the calculator lol.

And CM7 now has HDMI working, but the sound plays on the phone speaker instead of the TV. Its still being worked on though.

Galnet MIUI

bsbabcock
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm actually playing with CM7 now and it's much improved from the early nightlies when last I messed with it. I'm not seeing stellar battery life though. It's certainly a journey into "conventional" look of android from what I've gotten accustomed to in MIUI.

skooter16
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm actually playing with CM7 now and it's much improved from the early nightlies when last I messed with it. I'm not seeing stellar battery life though. It's certainly a journey into "conventional" look of android from what I've gotten accustomed to in MIUI.

What version of cm7 are you using? I have been wanting to play with it again but am completely lost on the latest GB builds

bsbabcock
02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I totally agree. First it was updated by nightlies then revnumbers.. now neither appear to be up to date in either rom manager or rom toolbox. On my phone anyway.

Current best version I think is here:

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/10191-Updated-Info-On-RevNumbers-CM4DX-GB(HDMI-Out,-1%-Battery,-No-Charge-LED,-FM-radio,-Charge-While-Off)
Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off)

Brad92
02-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Yessir, that's the best place to get it now. They keep that thread pretty up to date.

Galnet MIUI

bsbabcock
02-11-2012, 11:12 PM
So I also revisited good old ApeX 2.0 RC4. It's refreshingly very stock AOSP GB. And with the stock launcher its extremely light bare-bones and functional. There's something to be said for Fab's work on that rom. I'd say if you want plain vanilla on the DX with the clean look nonblur can bring without 2nd init battery consumption, ApeX FTW. Always was one of my favorites. Looks and acts plain vanilla without 2nd unit. Awesome developer.

I also feel a little special for contributing the foggy forest wallpaper in his list. LOL. Looks cool with his revolution theme.

skooter16
02-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I totally agree. First it was updated by nightlies then revnumbers.. now neither appear to be up to date in either rom manager or rom toolbox. On my phone anyway.

Current best version I think is here:

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/10191-Updated-Info-On-RevNumbers-CM4DX-GB(HDMI-Out,-1%-Battery,-No-Charge-LED,-FM-radio,-Charge-While-Off)
Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off)

I get a bad request when I try the link :(

dtroup64
02-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I get a bad request when I try the link :(

Try this: Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off) - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gbhdmi-out-1-battery-no-charge-led-fm-radio-charge-while-off/)

I go back and forth with Wizard's MIUI pretty much twice a week! :)

bsbabcock
02-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the ninja.. strange my older link broke.
Yeah I agree.. I'm sitting here looking at my SBF disc and my DX and thinking to myself "well, if I did, what would I flash?".
hmmmm. If it ain't broken, I'll try my best to fix that.

Brad92
02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the ninja.. strange my older link broke.
Yeah I agree.. I'm sitting here looking at my SBF disc and my DX and thinking to myself "well, if I did, what would I flash?".
hmmmm. If it ain't broken, I'll try my best to fix that.

Hehe, I just finally made a .602 Linux disc. I've been rocking the 2.3.340 disc forever and installing the AIO zip. I figured I'd upgrade...

I may sbf to stock GB just because I can haha

Galnet MIUI